PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Issues?

RMcSlash
03-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Hi Guys-
McSlash here, 3300+ hours in IL2 1946 and just coming back from some time off.
While away from the game I had some comp issues, installed an SSD Drive and reloaded Windows 7.
I had some backup copies of IL2 4.08, 4.09. and 4.10, stored away which I moved to an external drive to protect them during the reinstall of windows.
Now I do not know if I lost files in that move, but I have since updated the backup 4.10 to 4.11.1 and 4.10.1 with UP, so I have two active games.
Now when I try and open the game from the desktop shortcut, I get this, a message that I need an internet connection to activate the game . . . Who are these guys, "activemark", I never saw anything like this in my previous five plus years of playing?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/rickmccamy/internetwarn.jpg
Now why isn't the game seeing my internet connection, what am I forgetting to do?
Is there a file I should look for?
Do I need to open the game through Hyperlobby or XFire?
Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Tried connecting to a server through Xfire, same message.
Also, I have a desktop Shortcut, and the file is accessible in Windows Explorer, but if I go to Start/all programs, IL2 is not listed . . . though it is detected by Xfire.
(sigh)

RMcSlash
03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
No ideas, thoughts, anything . . .

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Hi, this may help http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/766

If it persists please open a ticket with Technical Support.

Tully__
03-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Check that Windows firewall isn't blocking it.

willyvic
03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
And some have reported that setting your internet browser security setting to low during activation works. Just remember to reset the security after attempt.

As to who they are.....it is the DRM proggy associated with the download version of the game.

WV

RMcSlash
06-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Well, finally got an answer on this one, so I bumped it back up.
Trymedia Active Mark is indeed the security Protection for the Downloadable version.Though you'll get a headache long before you can find it on your comp . . .
Adding to the confusion, I purchased the original download from IGN/Game Spy and used their Download Manager to DL the game. You may or may not know, IGN is still in business, but it has closed all its little spin off shops like Game Spy, Game Spy Arcade, File Planet, and the Download Manager . . . I was wondering if this was the problem.
IGN now has a subscription game site called Game Fly, $22 a month.

Over the last six years I have DL'd the game two more times from IGN's Download Manager, once to replace corrupted files, and another time to have a clean copy for upgrading.
The game was always readily available through the downloader. Not anymore, all gone.

Meanwhile, I found the original IGN order confirmation email as well as an IGN support response to a ticket I had filed when I was having some install issues. In IGN's response (six years ago) they mentioned the four ways your trymedia authorization could be invalidated;

Your game is protected by Trymedia ActiveMark licensing. Your license can be invalidated or not activate at all in several ways. A license can be invalidated or prevented
from activating by:
1. Formatting your hard drive or reinstalling Windows
2. The use of routers, firewalls, ad blockers, pop-up stoppers that block the Trymedia activation process and the license from saving to your hard drive files.
3. Having deleted cookies identifying you as the purchaser.
4. Being logged in to an alternate ID that was not what you were logged in to at the time of purchase.

Well I put in a new SS Hard Drive and upgrade the OS to Windows 7 . . .

I filed a ticket at Trymedia's support website, but 24 hours passed without a response, so I emailed support@trymedia.com directly, attaching the six year old IGN emails.
I had a response within 30 minutes;

Hello,

Thank you for your message.Please note that TryMedia is no longer distributing or supporting downloadable games since December 31, 2012. We no longer support re-activations for games downloaded or purchased from our former partners or affiliates.

You can browse for new games at this location: www.gamehouse.com.

Thank you.

TryMedia Customer Support

Really? WTF?
So as IL2 players with digital downloads upgrade their computers, more and more will be shut out of the game?
And I need to purchase the game again if I want to play, at least it's cheap.
I have found a downloadable version online for as little as $4.98 . . . but if Trymedia is no longer covering the security, will it even work?

At least I backed up all my skins and maps.
I will let you know.

RMcSlash
06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
The new download and installation is working fine . . . it downloads as .411.1 these days.

wheelsup_cavu
06-28-2013, 01:04 AM
I am glad to read that you found something to fix your problem. Hopefully you found the Good Old Games version. It doesn't have any type of DRM and it won't give these types of headaches.
IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 @ GoG: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946
To date "no one" that I have recommended this version too has been unable to get it working.

Wheels

RMcSlash
06-28-2013, 02:45 AM
That is indeed the version I now own,

Tully__
06-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Now that you have a DRM free version, I recommend you back up your installation folder against the possibility of another computer rebuild or Windows re-install. Should you need to do either of those, you can simply copy the backed up version on to your fresh hard-drive and run it from there.

Spity-
12-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I also just added new hard drives and updated to Windows 7 on my PC. I downloaded IL2 from probably the same place you did and patched up over the past few years to keep the game current. The IL2 executable is asking for internet connection.

Looks like I will be buying IL2 1946 from Amazon.

As more of us upgrade hardrives and windows we are going to run into problems.

Question?

Once I load the game from the CD can I use the patches that I already have in my IL2 Folder to avoid downloading those again?

Tully__
12-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Question?

Once I load the game from the CD can I use the patches that I already have in my IL2 Folder to avoid downloading those again?
That should be fine, as long as they're for a disk international or US (not Russian) version, it doesn't much matter where you got the disk from or what version is on the disk. The patches are pretty much universal across all disk versions except the Russian ones, they don't even require the registry entries after somewhere around v3.1 or so. Just make sure you only add the patches for versions later than that which comes on the disk you use.

Full patch order and download links for any IL2:1946 patches you don't have can be found at http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=584

boathead
12-15-2013, 07:41 PM
Well, I guess that does it, I am having the same problems after buying Numerous upgrades to the original Il/2 Sturmovik. This will be the LAST UBISOFT purchase I EVER make! If this is the way they treat those who have spent hundreds of dollars with them . I am done with Ubisoft.
Sorry, I had to vent!
P.s. Thanks for the link to gog.com and Merry Christmas to all you forum guys!
Paul