PDA

View Full Version : Stun locking

czeuch
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
I have seen this been executed but I never felt it. Today, on a MH session, I refused to respawn because I didn't thought that the targets would be able to continuously stunning me.

How come that the targets get the stun prompt before I get my kill prompt?

I have tried to stun lock but I usually die. I do it by using abilities, but the guys were stunning even without abilities.

Is this possible?

SquirrelInDaSky
03-13-2013, 03:59 PM
I have the same problem.
When i try to stunlock someone, i die.
When i am on the ground, and i have the guy who is going to stun me locked, i stand up and i still get stunned!!!

DomdudeDaGreat
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
I love stunlocking <3, but it is very bad to be on the receiving end (I usually have a strong team thank god). If you get stunlocked respawn right away, as you are just giving the other team a huge advantage, especially in Manhunt.

stinks8
03-13-2013, 04:05 PM
I think it might be related to how your camera is faced, I know if you have been stunned for a certain number of times your targets will get the X while you are down and can get a stun on you then. Once they have that option I don't think you can get a kill then either.

czeuch
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Dom, but aside from using abilities (knives, SB), is there a way to stun lock?

Why the target had the stun prompt while I didn't have the kill prompt?

RudeOnion
03-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah, this is kind of a known issue. If they're behind you, they can stun you again instantly, without you getting any prompt to kill at all. Even if you're mashing the kill button, it doesn't matter. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, but it happens often enough, to me. It's really not cool, since they stated that they took stun-locking out.

stinks8
03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
I really think its related to how your camera is pointed at your target, also internet connections can come into play, your X may not come as quickly as your target's X. Since you are talking literally tenths of a second, it can make a difference, in MH I would also highly recommend if you are playing on a team either no resistance or 1 person at max, its easier to stunlock with it on.

luckyto
03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
It's usually a matter of distance and camera angle.... It's not as easy to stun lock as in Brotherhood, but still part of the game. it takes a little practice, so I'm good with being present. Just respawn if you get locked

I also tend to think that ping has a little to do with it as well. If your NAT is slightly better, you might get that prompt a split-second before others do. However, my NAT isn't great and if I position myself right, I can pull it off often enough.

Moi-dix-Mois43
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Best advice I can give is to throw your abilities the second you get up (obviously a smoke or something) There's juuuuust a split second where your contract hasn't come back yet, and that's what they use to stun you. But yeah. Just play a team mode with a team or have those abilities ready (god I never thought I'd say that xD)

czeuch
03-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I will try that next time, thanks Moi!

alexbentley
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Yet another exploit that should be removed from the game...
I really don't know why you can't kill as soon as you stand up like it was in ACR. The delay not only allows for naked stuns, but targets can also run away when they otherwise would've died.

WolfQueen7
03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Well if your trying to stun lock only one person in a row then you'll have to your abilities, because the game prevents a player from stunning the same persuer twice or more instanly, so instead you need to use things that give you a little extra time for the stun to reset. The best for this in my opinion is smoke bomb, tripwire, and throwing knives :) Stun locking is a lot easer with a stun buddy though, all ya have to do is take turns. Hope this helps, Good Luck :D

stinks8
03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I would have no issue if they took stunlock out (which Ubi has acknowledged it's an exploit) if there were better defensive abilities. In Manhunt, the scale is tipped to Offense. You have an ability that goes though your target's abilities, you give an ability that discourages stealth because it'll show exactly who your targets are and stops them from using any abilities, and you give said ability a quick cooldown. Since so many people use smoke on offense, to effectively knife stun 1 person you have to use 2 abilities as well since so many people cried about the way smoke came out. It now drops at your feet instead of in front of the person dropping it. Boost Cooldowns were also severly nerfed, so even that makes defense harder. The best bet you can have for defensive points is to stunlock. There are many arguments that doing it on newer players is bad, which it very much is, but if you are going against highly ranked opponents, it's fine. I think the way it is now balances more between ACB and ACR and really needs to be left alone, there are much bigger fish to fry or bring back better defensive abilities (mute, charge).

DannyStrong
03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
this is how stunlocking works in ac3.

as the pursuer:

If you kill a civillian, become vulenerable, and get stunned. Whenever you stand up you'll still be vulnerable for a second (giving someone a free naked stun on you)

If you get regularly stunned (but did not kill a civillian or become vulnerable for any other reason), when you stand up you can kill your target (and likely get a contested kill)

Always remember that in team modes respawning is an option

as the target:

You can't stun someone twice in a run (unless you use use an ability to get the second stun)

The best stunlocking tactic is to have a second person with you and you take turns stunning the guy.

If you see someone being continuously naked stunned as they stand up, it's because theyre not mashing X when they stand up.

alexbentley
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
this is how stunlocking works in ac3.

as the pursuer:

If you kill a civillian, become vulenerable, and get stunned. Whenever you stand up you'll still be vulnerable for a second (giving someone a free naked stun on you)

If you get regularly stunned (but did not kill a civillian or become vulnerable for any other reason), when you stand up you can kill your target (and likely get a contested kill)

Always remember that in team modes respawning is an option

as the target:

You can't stun someone twice in a run (unless you use use an ability to get the second stun)

The best stunlocking tactic is to have a second person with you and you take turns stunning the guy.

If you see someone being continuously naked stunned as they stand up, it's because theyre not mashing X when they stand up.

This is not necessarily true. I've been naked stunned when I've got up, even when I haven't killed an NPC beforehand. I'm pretty sure that it's determined by host advantage/lag or something.
And trust me I'm mashing square, I know how this works.

Kytr
03-13-2013, 10:44 PM
The core of the matter is lag. If you have a lag advantage, you can get out of stunlocking fairly easily (I have been killed by people who are still kneeling). If you have a lag disadvantage, your only option to escape the stunlock is to triangle out. For me, even smoke won't go down in time to prevent the stun (althouth it has worked for other people).

If you are complaining about this feature, you are nuts. The anti-stun perk that EVERYONE uses in MH that allows a pursuer to get up from a stun faster than you can break line of sight, immediately able to kill you is a far greater problem that stunlocking will ever be. Essentially, when you stun someone, you will die seconds later UNLESS your team can use stunlocking.

alexbentley
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
I agree that the time on resistance is a bit too short (do many people even use it for MH?), but still they might as well fix the the naked stun lock problem. Yeah, I can triangle out but if I'm locked on to a pursuer and they aren't using abilities then I should get the kill.

DomdudeDaGreat
03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Stunlocking is a product of lag. It isnt actually an issue with the game (sort of)

alexbentley
03-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Stun locking is the product of a poor game mechanic. Get rid of the kill block (or whatever you want to call it) when you stand up from a stun, and boom done. Stun lock problem gone even with lag.

Kytr
03-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Stun locking is not a problem in any of the team games and never was. In ACB, it was a problem ONLY in Alliance, which was dropped for ACR. In the team games, teamwork can break it up fairly quickly and you can always triangle out to break it. Getting and staying caught in it is your own fault. Stupidity gets no sympathy from me.

DannyStrong
03-15-2013, 04:08 AM
Stun locking is the product of a poor game mechanic. Get rid of the kill block (or whatever you want to call it) when you stand up from a stun, and boom done. Stun lock problem gone even with lag.

that "kill block" is you being vulnerable. It's a very deliberate mechanic.

Ultima Powers 7
03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Stun locking is not a problem in any of the team games and never was. In ACB, it was a problem ONLY in Alliance, which was dropped for ACR. In the team games, teamwork can break it up fairly quickly and you can always triangle out to break it. Getting and staying caught in it is your own fault. Stupidity gets no sympathy from me.

Would you not agree that it's a cheap and cynical tactic? It would make me feel like a arrs-whole (I don't play team games).

I_Leave_No_Trace
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Don't rush in if you see your team getting locked, use the gun and cheap methods to disperse the ****bag lockers...

kucingminummilo
03-21-2013, 05:44 AM
I have seen this been executed but I never felt it. Today, on a MH session, I refused to respawn because I didn't thought that the targets would be able to continuously stunning me.

I have tried to stun lock but I usually die. I do it by using abilities, but the guys were stunning even without abilities.

Is this possible?

First rule of stunt-locking, you can't stunt-lock the person you just stunted.

poketopa
03-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Is this possible?

Well, lag is a big reason. Second, if you are surrounded by two people, you'll try to killthem but the other person will drag you out of animation and stun you
Third is resistance. The perk is kinda broken and unsynced. The game has to catch up to you getting up so fast I guess, so the targets get a split second priority.

ChristrinDeLore
03-21-2013, 02:57 PM
yes - stun lock is an exploit - but guess what... THIS ONE HAS A COUNTER... Respawn. seriously.

AvK KiNgKoBrA
03-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Simple solution to stun-locking= Take away the cooldown

alexbentley
03-21-2013, 11:33 PM
that "kill block" is you being vulnerable. It's a very deliberate mechanic.

It's a deliberate mechanic and it's a stupid one. Why should the pursuer be vulnerable after just being punished for getting stunned? The pursuer should always have the upper hand.

Simple solution to stun-locking= Take away the cooldown

This.

Roanark
03-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Just re-spawn, the biggest weakness of a high-level team focused on stun locking is they stick close together... Pick one off from a distance with the gun, throw in a smoke bomb to take another out, and bail before the other two start a stun lock.
Let your team handle them... I'm personally glad that it exists, as it's the best way to earn points when defending and makes the difference... The ONLY part I hate is when I'm in a team where nobody knows how to re-spawn to escape the lock and they just keep racking up points.

There's nothing to blame, camera angle... Lag... It's just how it is, I believe they each have an equal advantage though.
I prefer that over the previous games where killing had such a huge advantage stunning was rarely an option.

Murzealous
03-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Just re-spawn, the biggest weakness of a high-level team focused on stun locking is they stick close together... Pick one off from a distance with the gun, throw in a smoke bomb to take another out, and bail before the other two start a stun lock.
Let your team handle them... I'm personally glad that it exists, as it's the best way to earn points when defending and makes the difference... The ONLY part I hate is when I'm in a team where nobody knows how to re-spawn to escape the lock and they just keep racking up points.

There's nothing to blame, camera angle... Lag... It's just how it is, I believe they each have an equal advantage though.
I prefer that over the previous games where killing had such a huge advantage stunning was rarely an option.

Totally agree with you. Gun, as well as Wipe now that it has been fixed, do a great job at disrupting a team from being able to get a wall going. Also, as far as I know the only way to get a free stun is to have a built up focus on a grounded pursuer. When you guys are talking about some delay that gets exploited to give people the ability to stun, I think that is just lag...

Roanark
03-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Totally agree with you. Gun, as well as Wipe now that it has been fixed, do a great job at disrupting a team from being able to get a wall going. Also, as far as I know the only way to get a free stun is to have a built up focus on a grounded pursuer. When you guys are talking about some delay that gets exploited to give people the ability to stun, I think that is just lag...
Thank you.
However I'm pretty sure it's not lag, as it can be repeated without fail...
In case you haven't encountered a stun-lock or don't know the specifics it can only be performed when you are stunned and another player walks behind you to stun you again, regardless of how quick you are because of the "delay" (cool down to be more precise) after being stunned you can not kill another player until you are fully recovered unless the person is the player who last stunned you as they too have a delay from stunning specifically you to prevent a one-player stun lock.
As long as the next person to stun you is not the last person to stun you they will succeed every time.

As long as it remains so that it takes multiple people to do so and as long as you can re-spawn to escape it I have no problem with the mechanic.

Murzealous
03-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Thank you.
However I'm pretty sure it's not lag, as it can be repeated without fail...
In case you haven't encountered a stun-lock or don't know the specifics it can only be performed when you are stunned and another player walks behind you to stun you again, regardless of how quick you are because of the "delay" (cool down to be more precise) after being stunned you can not kill another player until you are fully recovered unless the person is the player who last stunned you as they too have a delay from stunning specifically you to prevent a one-player stun lock.
As long as the next person to stun you is not the last person to stun you they will succeed every time.

As long as it remains so that it takes multiple people to do so and as long as you can re-spawn to escape it I have no problem with the mechanic.

So as long as you are next in line to stun someone, regardless of distance, you'll get the free stun because of this cool down mechanic? The only reason I don't believe this exists is because I always play with a coordinated team in Manhunt, and when we go to stun-lock a team when we're out of abilities this method doesn't always work. With your theory, we should be able to stun a team indefinitely but in practice what happens is even though we're coordinating the stuns eventually someone gets contested, takes the Honorable Death, and our wall is broken. I'm not unfamiliar with stun-locking a team, it's just I don't think it can be done repeatedly without failure. Maybe this mechanic does exist, it just doesn't feel like it to me because of lag?

ACSisterHood
03-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Is this possible?

Yes, the way how it works is...

In a team, players rotate between locked-on targets to stun. This is stun-locking. <- Forgot you can't stun the same person more then once hence why the rotation.

If you refuse, you're only making matters worse - and they are taking advantage.

If you want to prevent stun-locking, here's a few tips.

Try seperate the group apart - if they are together - more dangerous. Use a hidden gun, or coordinate with hopefully some members to kill more then one person at around the same time.

Use Roofs

SB/FC abilities help..

Just respawn... refusing just make things worse.

Roanark
03-22-2013, 08:42 PM
So as long as you are next in line to stun someone, regardless of distance, you'll get the free stun because of this cool down mechanic? The only reason I don't believe this exists is because I always play with a coordinated team in Manhunt, and when we go to stun-lock a team when we're out of abilities this method doesn't always work. With your theory, we should be able to stun a team indefinitely but in practice what happens is even though we're coordinating the stuns eventually someone gets contested, takes the Honorable Death, and our wall is broken. I'm not unfamiliar with stun-locking a team, it's just I don't think it can be done repeatedly without failure. Maybe this mechanic does exist, it just doesn't feel like it to me because of lag?
The majority of people I see get killed while in a stun lock (executing) is because they are not directly behind the player or because another player (not the stun target) is close enough to get the kill.
I'm unsure if distance plays a factor or not, you'd obviously have to be in range before they begin to stand up but aside from that I can't really confirm or deny.

All I know is I personally have never failed a stun on a player when standing in the proper position.