PDA

View Full Version : "Everything is Connected" - Even to Ubisoft Servers?

SoulAsylumFan
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
I know it has since been scrapped with other Ubisoft games but I have to ask, with Watch_Dogs, and the tagline being "Everything is connected", will that also mean the game will ALWAYS require online connectivity? I'd hate to not be able to play this game at one of my buddy's houses who is into games but unfortunately doesn't have Internet, and can't play this just because of always-on DRM.

As you can see how much it really stinks and how much a problem this becomes; just look at the people bought the new SimCity last week are still trying to connect to the EA servers due to overloading because everyone has to always have an Internet connection to play. :(

roostersrule2
03-10-2013, 05:08 PM
This wont happen for console, but there's a chance it could happen for PC, although hopefully there wont be a problem like SimCity's having

SoulAsylumFan
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be an issue with console games, was just referring to PC.

I did find a few sources that said they scrapped their DRM for all PC games:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-scrapping-always-on-drm-for-pc-games/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/05/ubisoft-renounces-always-on-drm-for-pc-assassins-creed-3-confirmed-playable-offline/

I just brought the topic up though considering the tagline of the game (and though I wouldn't approve of it, I could see it happening to begin with). I'd just hate for this game, which would be popular and having it be another Diablo 3 or SimCity release.

Mr_Shade
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Always connected for DRM has been removed from all of Ubisofts titles.

there will be a one time only activation, to ensure you have a valid product key.

Some game features, such as uplay rewards etc - may need an internet connection - or any unannounced game features [such as in game cop op]

The 'everything is connected' is referring to game story / gameplay... not to always on DRM [pretty strange to have DRM as a tag line? ]

You may need an internet connection to interact with others [if that's a feature such as co op ] however any requirements will be announced closer to release.

DRM should not be an issue.