PDA

View Full Version : The letter "t" in the acronym CtOS

SoulAsylumFan
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
EDIT: I just realized its ctOS and not CtOS (using a capital "C" for the acronym); but it still doesn't answer my question.

As we know in the game the acronym CtOS stands for Central Operating System. My question pertains to the lowercase "t". Most acronyms just use the first letter of each word that's in it; in the case of ctOS it's not. That'd almost be like calling the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) the FrDA. To me it sounds like it'd be better off calling it the COS. Why are they using a letter in the middle of a word; just seems very awkward to me? The only time I've seen lower case letters in an acronym is when the word "a" or "and" are being used.

There are a few exceptions though such as SONAR... SOund Navigation And Ranging (which has since become to be a real word).

Anyone else agree or have any other suggestions why it was done the way it was?

Bastiaen
03-14-2013, 10:06 PM
To specify that the Ct means central? Ct for central, and OS for Operating System? Little t because it's the same word?

FrIzErIs
03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
I agree Ct as central, or Ct because it sounds like city, so it is Central - City operating system, I think it makes sense in both cases.