PDA

View Full Version : will Edward's combat feel different then Connor's

Radman500
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
do you think Ed's combat will feel different then his grandson was...

Connor was a wolf, very fast and skilled with the mohawk, will Edward be similar with the 2 swords or do you think it will feel different

i remember reading that combat in AC4 will be more challenging

shobhit7777777
03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
TBH I found all the combat systems in the franchise to be identical in terms of the core feel and flow...maybe thats just my experience....

itsamea-mario
03-06-2013, 08:14 PM
They'll probably use the same combat mechanic, just touched up a little, with some added features and stuff.

silvermercy
03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
This video showcases the differences if fighting style between Connor and Haytham.
I guess it's possible that Edward will be something in between.

Here's the description from the video:
"Both can wield a sword, but the way they use it and the Hidden Blade differs greatly.
Haytham is obviously trained in european fencing techniques. He uses alot of thrusts, and his attacks are elegant, focused and he tends to aim right at weak points for the kill.

He uses his Hidden Blade mostly to only stab his opponents vital points, but since he borrows some animations meant for Connor, he also will sometimes use it as a left hand dagger.

Connor uses the Sword and Hidden Blade differently. Since he apparently was not taught classic fencing, when he gets ahold of a sword, he uses his strength to drive the sword, not technique. He uses it in a brutal, yet acrobatic fashion, slashing, ripping, stabbing, kicking and even headbutting his enemies in all sorts of places. Connor seems to incorporate brawling into all weapon styles he uses. Unlike Haytham, Connor uses his Hidden Blade to slash as well as stab, since his has a pivot function".

http://youtu.be/sJ6fnD7o3oE

shobhit7777777
03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I liked Ezio's style a lot....and really liked how it went from a Connor-ish improvisational street brawler style to a more refined balletic swinging angel of death in ACR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo6Q14vBB1c

Edward IMO is going to bring Altair and Haytham's straightforward attacks with a focus on expediency coupled with Connor's strength and incorporate a LOT of Ezio's underhanded techniques and sneak attacks

Soulid_Snake
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm kinda hoping the combat goes back to pre-AC3, I just didn't like AC3 combat, though I doubt this will happen.

Perk89
03-06-2013, 08:46 PM
AC3 was a pretty big leap forward for the series combat wise so I don't aspect they change, though I do think they will make minor improvements such as dual wielding.

LoyalACFan
03-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Supposedly they're changing up how you can chain gun kills into your sword combos to kill many enemies quickly. I heard one of the devs mention it was necessary to be skilled at this if you're trying a board a ship head-on.

Sushiglutton
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm expecting and hoping that they will continue to develop the combat system introduced in 3. It's a fine system that just needs a bit more variety and depth, and a sequel is the right place to deliver that obv. From the trailers it looks like you can pick up bottles/pieces of wood and use. Why you would do that when you have a sword + hidden blade in each hand and has not yet been fully explained ;). It could be cool though, I don't really care if it make sense. Ropedart will be back and so I guess the "GET OVER HERE!" move will be back. Hopefully we can quickfire ropedart/pistols and don't have to actively switch between them, which is a bit clumsy.

I hope there is a better system for double counters. In AC3 it's great when two players attack at once since you get to kill both for free (even jaegers and heavy guards). That is silly. The more enemies attack at once the harder it should be of course. I think I read on Kotaku that we can now control the direction we evade. I interpret that as some kind of move has implemented for repositioning Edward in flow, which again would be very welcome.

Overall I like the fundamental system in AC3 and I just hope they can take it to the next level.

Farlander1991
03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
From the trailers it looks like you can pick up bottles/pieces of wood and use. Why you would do that when you have a sword + hidden blade in each hand and has not yet been fully explained

Unarmed combat when you don't want to kill. It was the same thing in AC3. You would counter with bottles, tables and other stuff if near them.

Although, what really defeated the purpose of that, is that some double counter moves when unarmed featured killing enemies with their own weapons.

And while I adore the choreography of double counters in AC3 (and the window for double counter is actually not that big, even I sometimes miss it), I agree that something has to be done with them.

Megas_Doux
03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
There are 3 ACIII things that SHOULD stay for ACBF and forward:

1 The current state of combat or harder.
2 No medicine nor health recovery during fights.
3 Depending on the setting, no Armor....

Sushiglutton
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Unarmed combat when you don't want to kill. It was the same thing in AC3. You would counter with bottles, tables and other stuff if near them.

Although, what really defeated the purpose of that, is that some double counter moves when unarmed featured killing enemies with their own weapons.

And while I adore the choreography of double counters in AC3 (and the window for double counter is actually not that big, even I sometimes miss it), I agree that something has to be done with them.

Yeah they had a primitive system like that in AC3. The presentation in both the AC4 trailers leads me to believe it will have a more sophisticated system. My guess is you will be able to pick up objects and use them for a short while similar to Sleeping Dogs. Also the two situations in those trailers are clearly not about non-lethal combat :p.

I have a number of problems with the double counters. As I said they are advantageous for the player in most situations, despite the window being somewhat shorter, which feels wrong. Secondly the animations, allthough very well choreographed, are way too long. It does not feel like you, the player, are performing these moves. It feels like you are watching them being performed. This is made worse by the cinematic camera. The camera leads to another problem. Since you don't naturally flow in and out of these animations there is a brief moment of disorientation after the move has been completed.

Like so many things in AC3 the double counters are designed to show off Ubi's skill in cinematic presentation, rather than to make the player feel like an active agent in the action.

Escappa
03-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I want the same mechanic when you counter...but without the red warning triangle...more challange :)

Sushiglutton
03-06-2013, 10:44 PM
I want the same mechanic when you counter...but without the red warning triangle...more challange :)

You can turn them off in the HUD-menu :).

itsamea-mario
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
There are 3 ACIII things that SHOULD stay for ACBF and forward:

1 The current state of combat or harder.
2 No medicine nor health recovery during fights.
3 Depending on the setting, no Armor....

I don't see the problem with armour, not big heavy steel plate, but the kind of armour he seems to have in every picture, yeah. Sure it's not going to do very much against bullets, but most of the time we'll be fighting melee anyway.

Also i really like Haythams fighting style, very composed. A classy style for a classy man.

Escappa
03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
You can turn them off in the HUD-menu :).

Five months later I get this information XD . . . and now there's no point 'cause I beat the game. Ooooh irony ;)

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
I liked Ezio's style a lot....and really liked how it went from a Connor-ish improvisational street brawler style to a more refined balletic swinging angel of death in ACR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo6Q14vBB1c

Edward IMO is going to bring Altair and Haytham's straightforward attacks with a focus on expediency coupled with Connor's strength and incorporate a LOT of Ezio's underhanded techniques and sneak attacks

I always loved that trailer, probably my favorite AC one.

But one question: why the hell did that archer bring only one arrow?

LoyalACFan
03-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Because he hadn't crafted the quiver upgrade yet... :rolleyes:

Escappa
03-07-2013, 12:14 AM

No he thought he would hit the knee...

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:15 AM

Well, he is a guard. Can't expect him to do complicated tasks, besides: dying, attacking ONLY after his friends have finished their turn, and failing to find Ezio again because now one town caller is saying nice things about him.

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
No he thought he would hit the knee...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121216060047/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/5/54/Annoying_no_gif.gif

Escappa
03-07-2013, 12:17 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121216060047/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/5/54/Annoying_no_gif.gif

Know what you mean...hate that freaking "joke", but I felt someone had to say it ;)

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Know what you mean...hate that freaking "joke", but I felt someone had to say it ;)

No....no they didn't....

monster_rambo
03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
I think in terms of level of difficulty in combat, it should feel somewhat similar to the first game. You shouldn't be able to kill 50 enemies and still be standing. I remember in AC1, the knight templars actually provided players with great deal of difficulty in terms of combating them. If they really want to make a solid combat system. They should look at Metal Gear Rising or Skyward Sword for what a sword combat gameplay should be.

nitres15
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
low budget

itsamea-mario
03-07-2013, 01:09 AM
I think in terms of level of difficulty in combat, it should feel somewhat similar to the first game. You shouldn't be able to kill 50 enemies and still be standing. I remember in AC1, the knight templars actually provided players with great deal of difficulty in terms of combating them. If they really want to make a solid combat system. They should look at Metal Gear Rising or Skyward Sword for what a sword combat gameplay should be.

unless of course you get decent with countering. hidden blade, 1 hit kill.

zzmorg82
03-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Well, he is a guard. Can't expect him to do complicated tasks, besides: dying, attacking ONLY after his friends have finished their turn, and failing to find Ezio again because now one town caller is saying nice things about him.

Dat AC logic. :rolleyes: