PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Ubisoft

Bababushca
03-06-2013, 01:45 AM
I know you'll probably never read this but what the hell.

I believe Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag should be renamed Assassins Creed: Black Flag, in the past numbered titles should be reserved for significant changes in time period and/or game mechanics. Also I urge you not to make any sequels that take place later than the American Revolution, one of the reasons for Assassin's Creed's phenomenal success was it's ability to transport you to at a world that no longer exists, I think the 18th century is just to recent for the franchise. Taking the game back to at least the 14th century. I know you probably hear this a lot, but the next numbered game should take place in Imperial China, theres a lot of interesting stories that can be made. The only problem with Assassin's Creed IV taking place in China is the number four is bad luck in Chinese culture.

I think if an Assassin's Creed game took place in China, the following would be good time periods:
Qin Dynasty: The Terracotta Army and the Great Wall of China were constructed.
Tang Dynasty: Considered the Golden Age of Ancient China, also the dynasty in place during the time or Altair.
Ming Dynasty: The Great Wall was restored and greatly upgraded to how it looks today, massive navy, the Forbidden City was made and the dynasty in place during Ezio's time.
Qing Dynasty: The last dynasty of Imperial China.

Personally anytime before the Qing Dynasty would be good for me, only because that way there wouldn't be guns. I didn't mind guns in Assassin's Creed II - Revelations because they were concealed, strapping two guns to your chest defeats the purpose of the hidden blade.

Thanks.

LoyalACFan
03-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Technically it should just be Assassin's Creed IV... They do have a significant change in time period, you don't think the Golden Age of Piracy is different than the American Revolution? Lol. Similar technology, maybe, but you could say that even for the Crusades vs. the Renaissance.

Bababushca
03-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Yeah I guess thats true, but this only take place a few decades before Assassin's Creed III, it's still dealing with the colonial Americas. I guess they either need to have just a number or a subtitle, not both.

LoyalACFan
03-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I'd have gone with just ACIV, since we do have a new hero. They didn't call Ezio's first game Assassin's Creed II: Renaissance Hero.

Bababushca
03-06-2013, 02:01 AM
The thing about a new hero is since Edward is Connor's grandfather, this can be seen as the Kenway Saga.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-06-2013, 02:18 AM
I know you'll probably never read this but what the hell.

I believe Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag should be renamed Assassins Creed: Black Flag, in the past numbered titles should be reserved for significant changes in time period and/or game mechanics. Also I urge you not to make any sequels that take place later than the American Revolution, one of the reasons for Assassin's Creed's phenomenal success was it's ability to transport you to at a world that no longer exists, I think the 18th century is just to recent for the franchise. Taking the game back to at least the 14th century. I know you probably hear this a lot, but the next numbered game should take place in Imperial China, theres a lot of interesting stories that can be made. The only problem with Assassin's Creed IV taking place in China is the number four is bad luck in Chinese culture.

I think if an Assassin's Creed game took place in China, the following would be good time periods:
Qin Dynasty: The Terracotta Army and the Great Wall of China were constructed.
Tang Dynasty: Considered the Golden Age of Ancient China, also the dynasty in place during the time or Altair.
Ming Dynasty: The Great Wall was restored and greatly upgraded to how it looks today, massive navy, the Forbidden City was made and the dynasty in place during Ezio's time.
Qing Dynasty: The last dynasty of Imperial China.

Personally anytime before the Qing Dynasty would be good for me, only because that way there wouldn't be guns. I didn't mind guns in Assassin's Creed II - Revelations because they were concealed, strapping two guns to your chest defeats the purpose of the hidden blade.

Thanks.
Assassins Creed 4 had just as many, if not more resources poured into it compared to Assassins Creed 3. There is every reason it should be called "Assassins Creed 4".

DisbandedBox359
03-06-2013, 03:15 AM
ps re-think the modern day strategy you've thought up for black flag

Epsilonyx
03-06-2013, 04:23 AM
I figured that its numbered because of the new protagonist, and there's a subtitle because its not a massive time-change; I'm pretty sure this game only starts 40 years earlier than AC3.

Sl1ckM4st3r
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I figured that its numbered because of the new protagonist, and there's a subtitle because its not a massive time-change; I'm pretty sure this game only starts 40 years earlier than AC3.

It's still a new era.

dewgel
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
This is stupid and nitpicky. How does it affect you.. really?

They openly said the numbered titles will always reveal a new protagonist in an interview regarding naming Brotherhood and Revelations.

This is really pointless.

MasterAssasin84
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Its a numbered instalment fact ! to me the Name Black Flags is irrelevent all i care about is ubi delivering an awesome game, which this has the potential to be the best in the franchise.

Em-Man
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
It's a legitimate criticism guys.
Every numbered title has have a significant change in time period and has had (what it feels like) a bigger change in terms of gameplay (for the better or worse).

Calling this game by the name of AC4 brings concerns to the fans, because what this means to the series as a whole is that UBISOFT no longer have the same respect for what's expected in a numbered title. The natural step for the series is to make AC4 a next-gen title with a distinct time-period, instead they made something that can be compared to what Revelations was for AC2.
With other words, this is a whole new level of over-saturation and could be very destructive for the series future.

I also agree on the request that the following games should historically take place prior to the American revolution. The more you go back in history, the less we know and the more we want to experience it. The animus potential are endless, don't ruin that potential by making super-well historically-recorded settings.

RinoTheBouncer
03-06-2013, 02:07 PM
I agree with you.
It should either be Assassin's Creed IV or Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. The former to suit a brand new numbered title since we have a new protagonist (If we want to remain with the tradition of new number = new hero) or the latter because the game is basically in the same century and lineage of ACIII and it's heroes.

Sushiglutton
03-06-2013, 02:12 PM
The name is 0.000000001% of the overall experience for me. Even if they called the game "AC 2000: Sushi sucks!" I wouldn't care. About the time period I also hope they will go back more in time. Tudor England would be awesome for example.

FrankieSatt
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I personally think they should just remove the Assassin's Creed name and just call the game "Black Flag". It has very little to do with being an Assassin any more, it's about being a pirate and sailing a ship and sinking other ships.

Epsilonyx
03-07-2013, 03:59 AM
It has everything to do with being an Assassin, its just become al argely superficial term at this point. Calling it 'Black Flag' would be like calling the next Halo game '5',not everyone will know that Black Flag is an Assassin's Creed game unless they keep that as part of the title.

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 04:01 AM
It has everything to do with being an Assassin, its just become al argely superficial term at this point. Calling it 'Black Flag' would be like calling the next Halo game '5',not everyone will know that Black Flag is an Assassin's Creed game unless they keep that as part of the title.

False. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

RzaRecta357
03-07-2013, 04:17 AM
Oh god. He's still going to be climbing rooftops. He just does it in secret. This game has lots of Assassinations and they've said so. They've even said they're giving us more freedom in it. Quit whining.

Krayus Korianis
03-07-2013, 04:18 AM
I don't see how it's the Kenway family trilogy... Haytham doesn't have a game to himself, does he? I mean, we only played as Haytham for 2-3 sequences, hardly a game unto itself.

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 04:22 AM
I don't see how it's the Kenway family trilogy... Haytham doesn't have a game to himself, does he? I mean, we only played as Haytham for 2-3 sequences, hardly a game unto itself.

One can hope...

pirate1802
03-07-2013, 04:25 AM
I personally think they should just remove the Assassin's Creed name and just call the game "Black Flag". It has very little to do with being an Assassin any more, it's about being a pirate and sailing a ship and sinking other ships.

Can you pass over that crystal ball to me? Gotta know the winning numbers.. :D

Eternal Reward
03-07-2013, 04:26 AM
Can you pass over that crystal ball to me? Gotta know the winning numbers.. :D

+ 1000 interwebz points to you sir