PDA

View Full Version : Real reason behind womanising in AC4 + Interview with lead game content manager

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:03 PM
"The drinking, the womanising, its all part of the parcel of that pirate lifestyle. Its more a product of his situation than anything else". So there we go, the real reason. I have set the video to start at that point, but I really recommend watching the whole thing. He talks about how you can take your spyglass out at any time and look to the horizon and how there will be 3-4 options/things to do each time. Take a look!

http://youtu.be/kA-yVDZx0Ds?t=1m33s

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
"The drinking, the womanising, its all part of the parcel of that pirate lifestyle. Its more a product of his situation than anything else". So there we go, the real reason. I have set the video to start at that point, but I really recommend watching the whole thing. He talks about how you can take your spyglass out at any time and look to the horizon and how there will be 3-4 options/things to do each time. Take a look!
Can he take his shirt off at any time though? That's what I'm interested in right now. :o And a naked scene where he takes a shower under a waterfall. (Oops! Am I making this too x-rated? LOL)

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Can he take his shirt off at any time though? That's what I'm interested in right now. :o

Ha, I will ask. As it goes, I wouldn't mind a costume/outift that his him shirtless but still with his guns strapped across him, that with his hood down would look so badass. Plus it would make sense, he would be hot in the Caribbean!

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Ha, I will ask. As it goes, I wouldn't mind a costume/outift that his him shirtless but still with his guns strapped across him, that with his hood down would look so badass. Plus it would make sense, he would be hot in the Caribbean!
Don't forget the waterfall!!! (see my edited post above LOL)

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Don't forget the waterfall!!! (see my edited post above LOL)

I think you are getting too role playie... next you will want to see him excreting!

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I think you are getting too role playie... next you will want to see him excreting!
Nah... Just the waterfall...

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Dam I spilled my tea

montagemik
03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
The constant search / desire to see Naked characters in videogames is a little pathetic - Something added to amuse the teenagers more than Adults ,
But it's laughable how many Adults look for that guff too .

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
The constant search / desire to see Naked characters in videogames is a little pathetic - Something added to amuse the teenagers more than Adults ,
But it's laughable how many Adults look for that guff too .

Eh, I know what you mean. But still their reasoning makes sense. Even in Pirates of the Caribbean you had this whole drunk/prostitute thing going on. But you never saw anything rude because it was a kids movie. This is an 18+ game so I guess they can do whatever.

montagemik
03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Eh, I know what you mean. But still their reasoning makes sense. Even in Pirates of the Caribbean you had this whole drunk/prostitute thing going on. But you never saw anything rude because it was a kids movie. This is an 18+ game so I guess they can do whatever.

Being historically accurate to the time periods has always been AC's reasoning for character depictions - & I've no problem with Ezio & Edward's ways , because it's accurate to their characters & time periods - As it should be. .

But just as with AC-B - One hint at a bedroom scene , & there are calls for full nudity or mini Sex games to be included :rolleyes:............ That's the bit that i find pathetic .

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Being historically accurate to the time periods has always been AC's reasoning for character depictions - & I've no problem with Ezio & Edward's ways , because it's accurate to their characters & time periods - As it should be. .

But just as with AC-B - One hint at a bedroom scene , & there are calls for full nudity or mini Sex games to be included :rolleyes:............ That's the bit that i find pathetic .

I would rather they didn't have those interactive things. It is awkward when my parents see it :|

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Being historically accurate to the time periods has always been AC's reasoning for character depictions - & I've no problem with Ezio & Edwads ways , because it's accurate to their characters & time periods - As it should be. .

I agree. I don't want anything sexual in the game basically, like mini-games.
But for balance they either show both genders naked or none at all. If they only show women, they will just face my wrath. LOL

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:40 PM
I agree. I don't want anything sexual in the game basically, like mini-games.
But for balance they either show both genders naked or none at all. If they only show women, they will just face my wrath. LOL

Well in AC2 we kinda saw Ezio naked in his bath. Then Catrina leant over him and grabbed the gear stick.

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Well in AC2 we kinda saw Ezio naked in his bath. Then Catrina leant over him and grabbed the gear stick.

It was unequal the other way round!

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Nothing compared to the latest trailer. Sorry I want more. :p

TheHumanTowel
03-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Press X to unsheathe your hidden blade. *WINK*

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Press "X" to stab *WINK*

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Pffff!!! I spilled mah coffeeee!!!

http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/h/hump.gif

henne-kei
03-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Pretty much that. However, I guess, the woman thing in the trailer was more about prostitutes and I'm sure that we will not see him doing it with them... but I also wish for your waterfall :rolleyes:

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Pretty much that. However, I guess, the woman thing in the trailer was more about prostitutes and I'm sure that we will not see him doing it with them... but I also wish for your waterfall :rolleyes:
Oh, if so, I will certainly forgive them for the prostitute scene. :D

mazohystic
03-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I should have read this before I made some comments about the womanizing hahaha. I still don't agree with it though. At least today it's not all about women and drinking... I think...

shogunko
03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I got no problems with the scene i don't see nudity necessary or for sure a mini game that's pretty sad. i would like scenes like the bedroom one because its obviously part of his way of life which i have no problem with a ladies man is typically more interesting plus he does have to father haytham so it makes sense. the protagnist has the mindset of a pirate and that interests me.

luckyto
03-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Nice interview!

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I got no problems with the scene i don't see nudity necessary or for sure a mini game that's pretty sad. i would like scenes like the bedroom one because its obviously part of his way of life which i have no problem with a ladies man is typically more interesting plus he does have to father haytham so it makes sense. the protagnist has the mindset of a pirate and that interests me.

I agree, if its his way of life then fine. Prostitutes happen, if they are in the game then its understandable me thinks!

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Nothing compared to the latest trailer. Sorry I want more. :p

Unless he has mastered the art of sex with clothes on, I'm assuming we will at least see him down to his undies....

And, look at it this way: Male butts visible is more socially accepted than female.

Lucky girls. :mad:

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
And, look at it this way: Male butts visible is more socially accepted than female.

Lucky girls. :mad:

Yeah, that's very unfair. Considering that female butts are superior to male butts :mad:

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah, that's very unfair. Considering that female butts are superior to male butts :mad:

By far.

It's time for men to get equal butt-viewing rights!

ˇViva la Revolución!

SleezeRocker
03-05-2013, 06:25 PM

*cough God of War* lol

Personally I don't care about it...nor do I really want it either. I just find it..unnecessary (red dead redemption everyone? Member? You member right, the instant trolling in RDR :P). If (mostly young guys) want naked chicks, that's what google is for. I want a game to play, not for some small cheap x-rated stuff.

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:28 PM
*cough God of War* lol

My god, that whole game looked like it was made by a bunch of locker room boys talking about their fantasies....

MasterAssasin84
03-05-2013, 06:33 PM
I just think sex blatantly sells thats why they have added womanising !!

Krayus Korianis
03-05-2013, 06:42 PM
*cough God of War* lol

Personally I don't care about it...nor do I really want it either. I just find it..unnecessary (red dead redemption everyone? Member? You member right, the instant trolling in RDR :P). If (mostly young guys) want naked chicks, that's what google is for. I want a game to play, not for some small cheap x-rated stuff.

What about RDR? All I remember was wanton killing of people and zombies. Also animals.

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
By far.

It's time for men to get equal butt-viewing rights!

ˇViva la Revolución!

lmfao!!

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Male butts are better. :p

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Nu uh.

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Nu uh.
I am tempted to post male butts now but I won't. :o

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:52 PM
I am tempted to post male butts now but I won't. :o

Why? What, you don't think I haven't seen me own bum?

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 06:52 PM

We had a discussion on this over here when AC3 came out. Some males and some females were discussing. In the end the females accepted female butts are better! :D win! :p

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
We had a discussion on this over here when AC3 came out. Some males and some females were discussing. In the end the females accepted female butts are better! :D win! :p
Well if I had to compare Blackbeard's butt with Lara Croft's. I suppose Lara's would be better. lol Unless Blackbeard surprises us in the game! ahaha

I'd rather see Edward's butt though, not Blackbeard's. lol

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:55 PM

I look at it this way. A female butt, in an bar with a heterosexual male in it in America, will get you a free drink, maybe even a meal. No male butt can do that.

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
I look at it this way. A female butt, in an bar with a heterosexual male in it in America, will get you a free drink, maybe even a meal. No male butt can do that.
What if you go to a gay bar? ;)

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 06:58 PM
What if you go to a gay bar? ;)

Well.....

Ok, a female butt will get you a beer more than a male butt will. There.

Krayus Korianis
03-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Well.....

Ok, a female butt will get you a beer more than a male butt will. There.
Not in a male gay bar...

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Stay on Topic.

shobhit7777777
03-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I heard "female butts"

Did I tell you that I won the debate between "male vs female butts"?

Its really simply....female butts are better designed..better visual aesthetics and are attached to females..which is an auto-win.

So...female butts should be given more screentime.

Its ridiculous to even argue...

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Yeah.. Batman is here. I remember last time it was him who made the females agree that female butts are better. XD

Murd3r Claws
03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Can he take his shirt off at any time though? That's what I'm interested in right now. :o And a naked scene where he takes a shower under a waterfall. (Oops! Am I making this too x-rated? LOL)

you are really starting to piss me off. you went on and on about how sexist the trailer was and yet half your comments are some perverted crap about Eddy being shirtless or nude or something. ****ing stop

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 07:42 PM
you are really starting to piss me off. you went on and on about how sexist the trailer was and yet half your comments are some perverted crap about Eddy being shirtless or nude or something. ****ing stop
LOL I only did that to get the same in-game treatment: Edward shirtless. Did I get that? No. I'm still waiting for that.

When the tide changes, it hurts, based on your reaction. Stay pissed off... lol

and butt-hurt... lol

Murd3r Claws
03-05-2013, 07:46 PM
LOL I only did that to get the same in-game treatment: Edward shirtless. And I'm still waiting for that.

well seeing how the alternative was them being raped and murdered id say the trailer is fine. stop being a hypocrite

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
silver, I'd like to see your reply to this: :D

I heard "female butts"

Did I tell you that I won the debate between "male vs female butts"?

Its really simply....female butts are better designed..better visual aesthetics and are attached to females..which is an auto-win.

So...female butts should be given more screentime.

Its ridiculous to even argue...

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
well seeing how the alternative was them being raped and murdered id say the trailer is fine. stop being a hypocrite
WTF? That's the only alternative? Are you serious now? O_O

UrDeviant1
03-05-2013, 07:48 PM

O_O

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 07:49 PM
@ pirate. I'm afraid I'm meeting with some relatives in a bit and I have to go. Will be back in a few hours to continue. lol

WalSwJan
03-05-2013, 07:49 PM
LOL I only did that to get the same in-game treatment: Edward shirtless. Did I get that? No. I'm still waiting for that.

and butt-hurt... lol
Well in AC3 and TOKW,you saw Connor shirtless more than once and no half-/naked females...so the trailer is fine. :p

pirate1802
03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
@ pirate. I'm afraid I'm meeting with some relatives in a bit and I have to go. Will be back in a few hours to continue. lol

Too bad I'd be sleeping then. Oh well... a great fight missed. :(

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Well in AC3 and TOKW,you saw Connor shirtless more than once and no half-/naked females...so the trailer is fine. :p
Not in the same scene.

Native Americans were shirtless anyway. Doesn't count. It's all about the context.

@pirate: sorry mate! :p (I am also trying to avoid a repetition and so I will try to ignore posters who missed my initial point.)

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 07:54 PM
WTF? That's the only alternative? Are you serious now? O_O

No but he has a point. No males on the forum are going YAY NAKED LADIES. No one really cared, you just thought Ubi was womanising. However now you are just randomly talking about Edward naked and male butts. It seems hypocritical to me.

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
No but he has a point. No males on the forum are going YAY NAKED LADIES. No one really cared, you just thought Ubi was womanising. However now you are just randomly talking about Edward naked and male butts. It seems hypocritical to me.
No, I'm just showing you how it feels to be a female while watching a trailer like that. That's all I'm doing. I'm gonna talk about Edward's butt as much as I can for this reason. That's my plan. (Hey, I warned you everyone I had plans. lol) Nothing hypocritical.

cu later, must go.

UrDeviant1
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
No, I'm just showing you how it feels to be a female while watching a trailer like that. That's all I'm doing. I'm gonna talk about Edward's butt as much as I can for this reason. Nothing hypocritical.

cu later, must go.

Sooo, you think if you talk about man-butt the guys here are going to get personally offended, and know how it feels to be a female watching that trailer? Keep up the good work. xD

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
No, I'm just showing you how it feels to be a female while watching a trailer like that. That's all I'm doing. I'm gonna talk about Edward's butt as much as I can for this reason. Nothing hypocritical.

cu later, must go.

Yes it was hypocritical. You say you were telling us how you felt as a female watching that bit of the trailer and how you think it is wrong. However you then spend pages talking about naked men? No guy here even made a deal out of the naked women in the trailer, surely its wrong of you to start being all weird and perverted.

And I will say it again just to make it clear, no one really cared but you, you thought it was wrong, fine. No problem. But then to go on talking about naked men for ages is hypocritical on the point you made about womanising, which I will say again, no one really cared that much about it in the first place but you.

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes it was hypocritical. You say you were telling us how you felt as a female watching that bit of the trailer and how you think it is wrong. However you then spend pages talking about naked men? No guy here even made a deal out of the naked women in the trailer, surely its wrong of you to start being all weird and perverted.

And I will say it again just to make it clear, no one really cared but you, you thought it was wrong, fine. No problem. But then to go on talking about naked men for ages is hypocritical on the point you made about womanising, which I will say again, no one really cared that much about it in the first place but you.
You fell into my trap again. cu lateh

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
You fell into my trap again. cu lateh

stop raping my thread.

silvermercy
03-05-2013, 08:05 PM
stop raping my thread.
Was that a pun? lol

No worries, I said cu later. So don't keep talking to me after I say cu later. lol

So.

cu later.

Assassin_M
03-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Aaaaand that`s not the reason I`m hating on Edward....it`s the highlight that he`s a cool, charismatic ladies man...

THE HIGHLIGHT...like Ubisoft saying "OH LOOK HE`S COOLER THAN CONNOR !! buy or game" and everyone starts drooling

rileypoole1234
03-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Aaaaand that`s not the reason I`m hating on Edward....it`s the highlight that he`s a cool, charismatic ladies man...

THE HIGHLIGHT...like Ubisoft saying "OH LOOK HE`S COOLER THAN CONNOR !! buy or game" and everyone starts drooling

They didn't say that. All they showed was a pirate being a pirate.

montagemik
03-05-2013, 08:10 PM

You're actually attempting a reasonable LOGICAL discussion ?? ............. Can't imagine why you'd bother - it's a wasted effort bud.

Assassin_M
03-05-2013, 08:13 PM
They didn't say that. All they showed was a pirate being a pirate.
Didn't seem like that to me..

AC II`s trailer should`v shown Ezio being Ezio too right ?? But no. It only left a SMALL HINT about Ezio being a charming ladies man when the 2 Prostitutes laughed after taking the money, but was it the highlight ?? did they show 2 naked ladies in bed before Ezio went to assassinate ?? That`s my problem...

UrDeviant1
03-05-2013, 08:15 PM

AC II`s trailer should`v shown Ezio being Ezio too right ?? But no. It only left a SMALL HINT about Ezio being a charming ladies man when the 2 Prostitutes laughed after taking the money, but was it the highlight ?? did they show 2 naked ladies in bed before Ezio went to assassinate ?? That`s my problem...

Wow, you didn't use the words "Ezio clone" this time. I'm proud of you.

Assassin_M
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Wow, you didn't use the words "Ezio clone" this time. I'm proud of you.
Ezio clone

Not a problem

TheHumanTowel
03-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Oh lawd not this again. Shame on Edward for having the gall to be described as "charismatic". Everyone knows Ezio copyrighted that trait in 2009.

UrDeviant1
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Oh lawd not this again. Shame on Edward for having the gall to be described as "charismatic". Everyone knows Ezio copyrighted that trait in 2009.

Oh yeah, didn't you know this was unheard of before Ezio?

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 08:32 PM

So you think the editing was kinda weird? Like that scene should have gone last or something?

shobhit7777777
03-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Ezio being a man-ho wasn't a defining part of his persona....It showcased how Ezio is a roguish gentleman in that sense. Ezio had smooth written all over him

Edward is a straight up Pirate. After 3 months on the sea he comes back and just wants to ****. The two naked ladies showcases a couple of very important things:

1. Dudes got a big sexual appetite
2. Isn't much of a womanizer since he simply pays for sex instead of wooing a pretty lady
3. He simply does things..like a pirate would..."I want a ****....well, lets go wenches!"

It sheds light on how Edward is a different man from the previous Assassins. He isn't a Casanova like Ezio...not according to this trailer...neither does he appear to be very chivalrous. He is a rough, direct guy taking things when and as he wants. In essence he is a Pirate. Subtlety in such things isn't their MO.

That is why the two-nekkid-ladies scene was IMO vital, full of info on Edward and a major point of difference rather than similarity between Ez and Ed

Radman500
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
yeah he is nothing like Ezio

pacmanate
03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
I wouldnt say it says he has a sexual appetite, it could be anything.

It could just be that prostitution going to be a big factor, like Courtesans in AC2, they could help in way.
He could have slept with them to get information?!

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

Radman500
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
if anything Edward is the Dark version of Ezio

rileypoole1234
03-05-2013, 08:45 PM

M, it's getting ridiculous now. It's just a CGI trailer, we haven't seen any representation of the final product or character at all.

You said it yourself, trailers only leave small hints. We have absolutely no idea what Edward will be like. If anything they showed the naked women for marketing.

And I also don't think showing him with two women in bed makes him look like a womanizer. It's the opposite really. He just wants to get the job done, and I think it makes him look rough and mean. Like he doesn't care about anything almost.

shobhit7777777
03-05-2013, 08:53 PM
if anything Edward is the Dark version of Ezio

And Ezio is the light version of Altair

Connor is the dark version of Altair

Haytham is the dark version of Connor

Edward is the light version of Connor

Do you see what I'm getting at? All of them will have certain common traits.. it is inevitable....you can dissect them all into bits and pieces and find the commonalities..but at the end of the day their characters are very different from each other thanks to the SUM of their actions and words...that is what matters.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 08:55 PM
"Edward Kenway is a young, brash Welshman born to an English Father and Welsh mother. He is charismatic and clever, but has a recklessness that borders on pathological. He is generally kind, but naturally selfish, and has a habit of valuing his own ludicrous ideas long before he will consider sensible or rational approaches to any problem. And he enjoys his drink, much to the detriment of his vital organs."

>Borderline Mad
>Selfish
>Insane ideas
>Drinks

That is not Ezio...

rileypoole1234
03-05-2013, 08:58 PM
"Edward Kenway is a young, brash Welshman born to an English Father and Welsh mother. He is charismatic and clever, but has a recklessness that borders on pathological. He is generally kind, but naturally selfish, and has a habit of valuing his own ludicrous ideas long before he will consider sensible or rational approaches to any problem. And he enjoys his drink, much to the detriment of his vital organs."

>Borderline Mad
>Selfish
>Insane ideas
>Drinks

That is not Ezio...

Love this description. I think the insanity shows through in the trailer. Especially with Blackbeard's description of him.

Is this from the wiki or something?

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Love this description. I think the insanity shows through in the trailer. Especially with Blackbeard's description of him.

Is this from the wiki or something?
Here you go (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/757318-Black-Flags-Q-amp-A)

rileypoole1234
03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Here you go (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/757318-Black-Flags-Q-amp-A)

Thank you much.

shobhit7777777
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM

>Borderline Mad
>Selfish
>Insane ideas
>Drinks

That is not Ezio...

I ****ing love being right and I especially LOVE tooting my own horn....**** me I'm good.
Posted hours after the trailer leak on M's thread

I think YOU'RE taking the easy route by simply labelling the guy without digging deeper into the trailer. Which is highly uncharacteristic since IIRC weren't you one of the few here who appreciated Connor for the subtleties and the layers?

People here are drawing a character sketch out of near 0 information. If we go this route can I just not say that Connor was a mindless, cold blooded killer who loved slaughtering British troops? A cliched Native American warrior-hunter who is completely in touch with the woods....yeah real original...BOO! UBI!

Lets take a step back and actually see what the trailer is trying to convey....coupled with the setting of the game

Ezio Auditore was a full on Casanova....but the difference he was also a 'Gentleman'. The dude never bedded prostitutes...not in my experience with the trilogy. He was charming and charismatic. He was passionate. Ezio Auditore had a certain panache and flair...flamboyance almost in both combat and the way he dealt with things. If we take a look at the character arc he was a proper 'Nobleman'......he liked women...and didn't see them as sexual objects...his interaction with females in the game strongly suggests so. IMO

Edward Kenway is a different beast. Lets not forget that he is afterall a privateer (Pirate). The entire CGI trailer shows him has a down and dirty pirate....fighting with utter ruthlessness (Improvising a club out of a wooden pole at one point). ALL the shots of him establish him as a very strong and powerful leader/warrior figure (leading a party anyone? Or the shot of him checking things out through the spyglass
The narration itself goes out of its way to emphasize just how canny and badass the guy is.....and mind you the focus is on how sneakily clever Ed is..throughout the video - You see Ed packing 4 pistols and simply shooting attackers..you see him swim underwater...you see him casually grab the girl and walk away

Edward Kenway is not shown as a swaggering, charismatic nobleman.....nope....Kenway here is shown as an extremely dangerous,volatile and a very mysterious PIRATE. I stress volatile because it shows not only in his fighting style but also how Blackbeard considers him especially lethal towards anyone shoving his/her nose in his business

So

When you see Kenway walking away from two satisfied ladies.....that is not the same as Ezio bedding a nobleman's daughter....you see a man slaking his lust as was the norm for that time AND SETTING. Dock cities, sailors, pirates etc.
I'll take it a step further....

You see a pirate walking away from a natural part of his "routine"

Maybe Edward Kenway is a pirate first and an Assassin second.

Edward Kenway seems like the kind of man who wouldn't make a big deal out of sex....he is a direct, devilish MF'er.

He is not the stoic, silent Altair

He is not the passionate, charming and charismatic Ezio

He is not the cold, stiff-upper-lip precise, pragmatic and enigmatic Haytham (although you can see where Haytham gets this from)

He is not the Noble, idealistic and straightforward Connor

He is however (and all of this, obviously, is my opinion) a Ruthless, mysterious and forceful Assassin....emphasis on mysterious....since apparently the crew really isn't in on his Assassin business.

I think it is fair to say the Eddie Kenway is an amalgamation of several Assassins (truth be told aren't they all? No character - fictional - can be completely original)......he is the more ruthless, cunning and aggressive of them all. He represents the truly dark side of the Assassins

Edward Kenway is a Pirate (A big pre-emptive FU to all the "No **** Sherlock"s)

Also, I think it would be interesting to see a reluctant Assassin in Ed...toeing the line as he balances his life as a Pirate and an Assassin...they may be contradictory at some points.

Dimension.
03-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I find it funny how every discussion on the game is turning into a debate about sexism, women, men, butts, and prostitution. Being a new poster on the forum, I find it ... ehm... interesting. I don't really think this is the response Ubisoft imagined when they put that scene into the trailer though.

I suppose I should give another female view on the whole subject. This whole place is lacking a womans touch. :P
I don't really care who Edward sleeps with. He can sleep with women or men, prostitutes or not, 2 or 10 at the same time. It really doesn't matter. The trailer was a little sexist, but I think Ubisoft are only trying to pull simple-minded consumers in. (They did it with patriotic Americans regarding AC3 only to give them a good, healthy slap in the face.)
I didn't mind playing through the Witcher games even with the cards you could collect, nor did I mind playing the Leisure Suit Larry games when I was just a little kid.
When more women starts making games, we will see changes. It's the same as with black characters in games. It seems only heterosexual white males make games these days, so those of us that don't fit in those groups will have to start making games ourselves or just promote the games that do things differently.

And men have better butts by the way. Because they are on men, and that's the gender I'm attracted to. Nuff said. :)
The parts attached to women are extremely unattractive for me, but I'm not going to be up in arms about them being shown in a game. As long as it doesn't press those parts up against the screen every 5 minutes, I'll survive.

Q1RSTU
03-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Can he take his shirt off at any time though? That's what I'm interested in right now. :o

http://www.gamersbook.com/repository/images/_variations/d/f/dfd3258cd5b15624b520736d4d99e5ba_lightbox.jpg Happy now?

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
I find it funny how every discussion on the game is turning into a debate about sexism, women, men, butts, and prostitution. Being a new poster on the forum, I find it ... ehm... interesting. I don't really think this is the response Ubisoft imagined when they put that scene into the trailer though.

I suppose I should give another female view on the whole subject. This whole place is lacking a womans touch. :P
I don't really care who Edward sleeps with. He can sleep with women or men, prostitutes or not, 2 or 10 at the same time. It really doesn't matter. The trailer was a little sexist, but I think Ubisoft are only trying to pull simple-minded consumers in. (They did it with patriotic Americans regarding AC3 only to give them a good, healthy slap in the face.)
I didn't mind playing through the Witcher games even with the cards you could collect, nor did I mind playing the Leisure Suit Larry games when I was just a little kid.
When more women starts making games, we will see changes. It's the same as with black characters in games. It seems only heterosexual white males make games these days, so those of us that don't fit in those groups will have to start making games ourselves or just promote the games that do things differently.

And men have better butts by the way. Because they are on men, and that's the gender I'm attracted to. Nuff said. :)
The parts attached to women are extremely unattractive for me, but I'm not going to be up in arms about them being shown in a game. As long as it doesn't press those parts up against the screen every 5 minutes, I'll survive.

I like you, because you played Witcher and din't complain about political correctness.

Eternal Reward
03-05-2013, 09:58 PM

Agreed with everything except for the butts part.

And I think at this point most of us are just joking around.

hellomrdarcy
03-05-2013, 10:00 PM
When more women starts making games, we will see changes.

True words. Let's go! ;)

mazohystic
03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
When more women starts making games, we will see changes.

I'm female (I'm not a girl, not yet a woman) and I'm taking software engineering this fall. Game development, here I come, maybe?

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I'm female (I'm not a girl, not yet a woman)
Neither a girl not a woman. What are you demon spawn!

Dimension.
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
I like you, because you played Witcher and din't complain about political correctness.

Well. Thank you. :)
The Witcher did go a little overboard with the whole card thing. Not because it was offensive in any way, but because it sort of became a joke (buy our game, we have naked women, cursing and erotic cards). I loved those games though. Looking forward to The Witcher 3 though I'm afraid they might be promising too much.

Eternal Reward: think people are joking now yes. I just think it's funny. But seeing as how the game has gotten media attention because of whale killing now of all things, nothing would surprise me anymore.

hellomrdarcy: Easier said than done. Almost done with my education, so don't think I'll start developing games now. Hope someone else will carry the fire however.

Great to hear mazohystic. :)

rileypoole1234
03-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Agreed with everything except for the butts part.

This phrase to me could possibly become as popular as "I wonder the testicle".

mazohystic
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Neither a girl not a woman. What are you demon spawn!

Britney Spears.

I am almost happy that no one got my reference...

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Well. Thank you. :)
The Witcher did go a little overboard with the whole card thing. Not because it was offensive in any way, but because it sort of became a joke (buy our game, we have naked women, cursing and erotic cards). I loved those games though. Looking forward to The Witcher 3 though I'm afraid they might be promising too much.

Eh, maybe but the cards were never the selling point of their game nor is it of AC. I really love the dark themes and the atmosphere they've set in Witcher universe and about Witcher 3, well trust in CDPR.

Dimension.
03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Eh, maybe but the cards were never the selling point of their game nor is it of AC. I really love the dark themes and the atmosphere they've set in Witcher universe and about Witcher 3, well trust in CDPR.

Heh. No. I truly hope that's not the reason anyone bought the game. As I said, I didn't mind the cards, they just brought me of the game a little (making me laugh isn't the worst way of doing it though)Other than that I did find the mature theme refreshing in a way. I haven't read the books, but the universe Sapkowski created is gritty and dark and I like that. I heard he is very adamant about his Geralt being the only true Geralt. I get that, but if I were to read the books now I would imagine CDPRs Geralt.
I do trust in CDPR (as much as one can trust in any company). They haven't failed me thus far.

ProletariatPleb
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Heh. No. I truly hope that's not the reason anyone bought the game. As I said, I didn't mind the cards, they just brought me of the game a little (making me laugh isn't the worst way of doing it though)Other than that I did find the mature theme refreshing in a way. I haven't read the books, but the universe Sapkowski created is gritty and dark and I like that. I heard he is very adamant about his Geralt being the only true Geralt. I get that, but if I were to read the books now I would imagine CDPRs Geralt.
I do trust in CDPR (as much as one can trust in any company). They haven't failed me thus far.
Yeah well, he isn't someone who grew up with video games so it's understandable. I've read all the books and CDPR has done a very good job.

TheHumanTowel
03-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah well, he isn't someone who grew up with video games so it's understandable. I've read all the books and CDPR has done a very good job.
It's a shame to see him being sort of dismissive of the games. They've brought him a ton of new fans who would otherwise have never heard of the Witcher books. And imo CDPR have done a fantastic job with the story.