PDA

View Full Version : Problems that haven't been addressed yet in AC4 previews

SixKeys
03-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Having read a few of the previews so far, they all mostly talk about the same new features but don't really address some issues hardcore fans of the series would likely be interested in.

Here are just a few important things I think the devs will need to address at some point as more details about the game start to spill:

-Unfogging the map: considering we will spend a lot of time at sea, how will unfogging the map work? Having to uncover most of the map on foot or horseback in AC3 was tedious as hell. Will viewpoints be ditched entirely or will they be more useful again like they used to be?

-Does fast travel still exist?

-Side missions: will they have proper context this time, like the assassination contracts in AC2/ACB? Or will they be boring "go here, press this button" errands like in AC3?

-The need for stealth. AC3's response to complaints about the increasing lack of stealth options was to give us the forts, which technically allowed you to sneak in undetected like a true assassin. The problem was that there was never any real need for Connor to be stealthy, apart from arbitrary missions constraints like 100% sync objectives or insta-desynch upon detection. I see even less reason for a pirate like Edward to be stealthy in any given situation, whether or not he was trained by the brotherhood. The problem with the series currently isn't that you can't use stealth, it's that 99% of the time there's no reason why you should.

-Notoriety system: since it's being ditched apparently, how will this impact our relationship with the local authorities, inhabitants and the need for stealth?

-Is full synch back? If so, will the mission constraints be more subtle this time? The objectives have always been optional, but what bugs most people about them is the big red text saying you failed something if you didn't do all the objectives.

-Will any old, unaddressed plot points from the Desmond saga be addressed in the new game, like the mystery around Eve and Subject 16 mentioning Desmond's son?

Feel free to add any points you think are important and should be addressed somewhere down the line. Not talking about things like "will we be able to dye our robes?" but actual gameplay mechanics and such that you feel have been lacking so far.

Farlander1991
03-04-2013, 09:34 PM
-The need for stealth. AC3's response to complaints about the increasing lack of stealth options was to give us the forts, which technically allowed you to sneak in undetected like a true assassin. The problem was that there was never any real need for Connor to be stealthy, apart from arbitrary missions constraints like 100% sync objectives or insta-desynch upon detection. I see even less reason for a pirate like Edward to be stealthy in any given situation, whether or not he was trained by the brotherhood. The problem with the series currently isn't that you can't use stealth, it's that 99% of the time there's no reason why you should.

Assassin's Creed didn't have a NEED for stealth ever since... ACI, really. I had a full stealth run of Sibrand's assassination (nobody noticed me coming in, killing Sibrand and getting out). Might have had as well go in with sword in hand and just kill everybody, wouldn't have made a difference. AC3 really has most stealth options than any of the previous games, but the need for stealth hasn't increased precisely for the same reason. Really, the best way to increase the need for stealth is to make combat more challenging, and have you more fragile and die quicker if hit.

TheBearJew32
03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
-Fast Travel. I think it should be in, but i think it should follow the skyrim route i.e you have to discover it/ go there once on your own, that is, if the game turns out to be as open as it's being presented to be. Maybe that's how viewpoints could be implemented as well.

Locopells
03-04-2013, 09:40 PM
I guess there'll still be viewpoints, but only on land. At sea's there's no real need, if the random stuff truly is random. That said, you might have specific areas for specific types of events.

I would be surprised if there isn't fast travel. They'll need a mechanic, for those who aren't bothered about the optional stuff, to skip it.

The Need for Stealth (see what I did there?!) will have to wait and see. but - and this ties into the next point - if notoriety is working GTA style, then we'll be unable to just kill everyone between us and out objective.

As to the last two, we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

SixKeys
03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
The Need for Stealth (see what I did there?!) will have to wait and see. but - and this ties into the next point - if notoriety is working GTA style, then we'll be unable to just kill everyone between us and out objective.

I've never played GTA. How does notoriety work there?

Rugterwyper32
03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
-Unfogging the map: considering we will spend a lot of time at sea, how will unfogging the map work? Having to uncover most of the map on foot or horseback in AC3 was tedious as hell. Will viewpoints be ditched entirely or will they be more useful again like they used to be?

-Does fast travel still exist?

-Notoriety system: since it's being ditched apparently, how will this impact our relationship with the local authorities, inhabitants and the need for stealth?

-Is full synch back? If so, will the mission constraints be more subtle this time? The objectives have always been optional, but what bugs most people about them is the big red text saying you failed something if you didn't do all the objectives.

I'll give my thoughts on this 4 points.

- I have the feeling that you'll have an overall naval map, but when closing up you'll have the fogged up map. Viewpoints would be various in the case of cities, and then you'd have viewpoints around the various islands/locations you visit. That's my take on it.

- Chances are it does. Probably closer to a Fallout system where you can fast travel to locations you've found?

- I have the feeling that it will be closer to how AC1 handled it only that it wouldn't be as incredibly overreactive as it was in AC1 with the Kingdom and the such. I also hope that it would mean post-assassination escapes.

- As far as I know, they mentioned getting rid of Full Sync. Actually, I just checked the topic talking about that, and gonna take the quote from there. "We give you a simple objective and you use whatever tools and mechanics you have at your disposal to accomplish this goal"

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Great list!!! I also really wondered how ditching the notoriety system will work in practice. There must be some system preventing us from going on a killing spree in Havanna? Full synch has been so criticized all over the web that I can't imagine that there won't be some tweaks to it.

Here are a few more:

- Have they done any tweaks to the freerunning system? For example the issue of running up a wall when you didn't want to.
- Gadgets. Are smoke bombs, mines, ropedart doing a comeback (I'm fine either way). What new ones are there?
- More variation to trees? Tree parkour was awesome, but more variation is needed to make it even better.
- Animal interaction. Is it still QTE based?
- Horses I guess are gone?
- Underwater combat: does it exist? how will it work?
- Economy system. Seems like the overall goal is to get money to upgrade your ship? What else? Is trading back? Crafting? Can we buy houses etc?
- Do we have a homebase, like Homestead, or is the ship our floating base?

Locopells
03-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I've never played GTA. How does notoriety work there?

The longer you stay in open combat, the more and stronger enemies there are/become. They just keep spawning, so sooner or later, you'll die, unless you get out of the area (or cheat...).

ACfan443
03-04-2013, 09:47 PM
I have an idea for unfogging the map, viewpoints in cities will remain, however at sea there could be 'synchronising areas' where you halt your ship, climb the mast and synchronise.

As for unanswered questions, I want to know whether the present day activities will be in first person perspective, and how much Juno's plot will be developed.

TheHumanTowel
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
About the need for stealth, in the IGN interview when talking about the jungle they said it would be a very stealthy environment. That you don't have to be stealthy but if you aren't "Good Luck". Obviously that's not a concrete answer to your question but it still shows that they aren't approaching everything as a 50/50 between stealth and action.

dxsxhxcx
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm curious about what they'll do with the notoriety system, I don't think they'll remove it completely (otherwise like you said, there isn't much reason to play stealthy), they mentioned in the IGN review that they think the “worldwide alert” caused by the current notoriety system is illogical (at least at the sea, but I think we can say that for the cities as well), the only thing I can think they could do is make this "alert" be local (something similar to Metal Gear where the place you're only enter in high alert when they sound the alarm, before that you can "fix" the situation by eliminating all the witnesses), maybe an area of the map will be aware of your presence and this radius will increase with time if you don't do something to stop it.

deskp
03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
AC3 noteriety worked same way as gta.. jsut fewer stars.

Some islands will have wievpoints i read somewhere, so im sure they will return in cities. i hope they dont do the ac3 thing again.

Locopells
03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Great list!!! I also really wondered how ditching the notoriety system will work in practice. There must be some system preventing us from going on a killing spree in Havanna? Full synch has been so criticized all over the web that I can't imagine that there won't be some tweaks to it.

Here are a few more:

- Have they done any tweaks to the freerunning system? For example the issue of running up a wall when you didn't want to.
- Gadgets. Are smoke bombs, mines, ropedart doing a comeback (I'm fine either way). What new ones are there?
- More variation to trees? Tree parkour was awesome, but more variation is needed to make it even better.
- Economy system. Seems like the overall goal is to get money to upgrade your ship? What else? Is trading back? Crafting? Can we buy houses etc?

See my previous about notoriety.

No idea about freerunning.
They've only mentioned mines in the context of the Jackdaw, otherwise, unknown.
No one knows about the next three
Underwater combat does exist, but only with animals so far.
That seems to be the idea. Trading is back - you can sell the cargo of ships you loot. Doubt EK owns property, but...
I think the ship is meant to be the main base (my guess), but there may well be somewhere we make port.

I have an idea for unfogging the map, viewpoints in cities will remain, however at sea there could be 'synchronising areas' where you halt your ship, climb the mast and synchronise.

As for unanswered questions, I want to know whether the present day activities will be in first person perspective, and how much Juno's plot will be developed.

I wondered about that.

I thought I did hear something about it being 1st person. No clues yet about Juno.

AC3 noteriety worked same way as GTA.. just fewer stars.

That's a point, it did actually.

Locopells
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM

I wondered about that.

I thought I did hear something about it being 1st person. No clues yet about Juno.

Locopells
03-04-2013, 09:56 PM

I wondered about that.

AC3 noteriety worked same way as GTA.. just fewer stars.

That's a point, it did actually.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
- Will we be able to quick-slot more than 4 weapons? This is something that I think needs to be addressed. It's one of the properties of combat difficulty. Doubling the quick-slot capacity will cause more seasoned players to think more about what they're doing If they want to pull off the best combos. Having certain weapons perform certain combos to take down certain enemies. They did this In AC3 but the learning curve was still very low because there were only 4 weapons you could use to chain-kill. AC3 introduced more 'Tools', so will they build upon that and gives us tools which effect combat differently? Tools that can be used more strategically, to maneuver our enemies during a fight, maybe placing more importance on our position during a fight If we want to take out guards more efficiently? So, 8 quick-slots, 8 weapons/tools at your disposal via quick-slot, 4-8 ways to chain-kill. All of these things are optional and customisable, do casual players can still get the enjoyment out of combat, but they just won't look as good doing it ;)

-Have they sorted out the bad side-questing? I bloody hope so...

Of course there are still a LOT of questions unanswered just from watching the trailer. We have 8 months until release and that's when we'll get our answers.

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 09:58 PM
See my previous about notoriety.

No idea about freerunning.
They've only mentioned mines in the context of the Jackdaw, otherwise, unknown.
No one knows about the next three
Underwater combat does exist, but only with animals so far.
That seems to be the idea. Trading is back - you can sell the cargo of ships you loot. Doubt EK owns property, but...
I think the ship is meant to be the main base (my guess), but there may well be somewhere we make port.

Yeah now that I think about it the guard alert syste would work just as well if the notoriety stars were simply removed. So that once you have succesfully escaped and hide you get back to zero if you know what I mean. That is def an improvement imo. Running to posters, or town criers adding nothing in terms of challeneg and was basically just a tedious system. Thanks for your other answers as well :)!

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
- Will we be able to quick-slot more than 4 weapons? This is something that I think needs to be addressed. It's one of the properties of combat difficulty. Doubling the quick-slot capacity will cause more seasoned players to think more about what they're doing If they want to pull off the best combos. Having certain weapons perform certain combos to take down certain enemies. They did this In AC3 but the learning curve was still very low because there were only 4 weapons you could use to chain-kill. AC3 introduced more 'Tools', so will they build upon that and gives us tools which effect combat differently? Tools that can be used more strategically, to maneuver our enemies during a fight, maybe placing more importance on our position during a fight If we want to take out guards more efficiently? So, 8 quick-slots, 8 weapons/tools at your disposal via quick-slot, 4-8 ways to chain-kill. All of these things are optional and customisable, do casual players can still get the enjoyment out of combat, but they just won't look as good doing it ;)

-Have they sorted out the bad side-questing? I bloody hope so...

Of course there are still a LOT of questions unanswered just from watching the trailer. We have 8 months until release and that's when we'll get our answers.

YES this is two very important points. I'm still hoping there will be a quick-fire system that allows us to access all tools in one button press like in the Arkham games.

SixKeys
03-04-2013, 10:02 PM
- As far as I know, they mentioned getting rid of Full Sync. Actually, I just checked the topic talking about that, and gonna take the quote from there. "We give you a simple objective and you use whatever tools and mechanics you have at your disposal to accomplish this goal"

This doesn't directly address full synch. You've always technically been able to do missions any way you like (save for ones with forced stealth or cinematic linearity) as the full synch objectives have always been optional. But they're not truly optional in the sense that they don't limit player freedom at all and don't punish them for not doing things the "right" way. Since ACB, if you want the achievement for having 100%:d the game, you were forced to complete all the synch objectives. That means it's not an extra challenge, it's punishing the player by saying "ah, but technically you only completed 50% of the game!".

Full synch needs to become truly optional. Meaning no annoying "objective failed" red text popping up in the middle of every mission, no collecting synch XP or whatever they called it in AC3. The objectives should be placed somewhere in a separate DNA menu like the guild challenges in ACB, and the reward for completing them should be something extra like a new outfit or weapon. All players should be able to 100% the game without worrying about optional objectives.

The longer you stay in open combat, the more and stronger enemies there are/become. They just keep spawning, so sooner or later, you'll die, unless you get out of the area (or cheat...).

So what happens once you exit combat? You hide for a little while and everyone just forgets who you are? The whole purpose of the AC notoriety system was to ensure the player knew there would be consequences to raising too much suspicion.

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 10:07 PM
So what happens once you exit combat? You hide for a little while and everyone just forgets who you are? The whole purpose of the AC notoriety system was to ensure the player knew there would be consequences to raising too much suspicion.

True, but what did that mean in practice? After a fight in AC3 there was always a town crier within twenty meters. You just ran up to him and paid (or you found posters/print shop). Consequences like that are pretty worthless. Once you have won the fight, or escaped the guards the exciting part is over. No need to waste an extra 30 sec of the players time.

Megas_Doux
03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Nice list!

Locopells
03-04-2013, 10:14 PM

With GTA, the whole point is to not let anyone who's seen you live, then get out of the area before anyone else does.

Murd3r Claws
03-04-2013, 10:15 PM
for anyone wondering about this i read that one of the three cities will have a base of operations...similar to ACB...i cant remember which though...it might have been Kingston

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 10:15 PM

Here are a few more:

-That issue is a direct result of having one button free-run instead of 2. I honestly think the positives outweigh the negative as far as that goes.
-I'd like to see certain tools make a return (love the rope dart). Adding new ones with different properties instead of just 'kill', potentially adding some strategy to combat.
-Loved tree-running. These forests will have more of a tropical, lush-green vibe like the Mayan mission in AC3. Breakable branches maybe? having to actually avoid certain branches would be cool
-I didn't really mind the QTE animal interactions, but they could reduce the counter-window.
-Unless they mo-cap a horse i really don't care if horses return xD
-Underwater combat weirds me out just thinking about it.
-Want
-Want

MadJC1986
03-04-2013, 10:16 PM
About the need for stealth in AC3. I think there was need for stealth if you actually wanted to enjoy the game!

Megas_Doux
03-04-2013, 10:19 PM

If you have from 1 to 3 stars; you can wait unltil it fades with time, but if you reached more than that ,which is hard , -six so to speak- you will eventually die, nothing like AC. However I think AC3 was a good step forward when jagers appeared, though.

SixKeys
True, but what did that mean in practice? After a fight in AC3 there was always a town crier within twenty meters. You just ran up to him and paid (or you found posters/print shop). Consequences like that are pretty worthless. Once you have won the fight, or escaped the guards the exciting part is over. No need to waste an extra 30 sec of the players time.

I agree, the posters and town criers are old hat and I was disappointed to see they were back in AC3 after they stressed how much they tried to rework every system in the series. I don't have an easy answer to how notoriety should be improved, but clearly something needs to be in place for there to be any point to being stealthy. It's also stupid how in every game all the guards seem to have a fish's memory. Once you've paid a town crier, everyone just forgets about the 10-minute massacre in broad daylight that you started only a few minutes ago.

Perhaps there could be some kind of overall consequences to the world around you that happen as a result of your actions. For example, if people hear there's a ruthless killer loose, they might be less willing to help strangers so you might not get as many discounts for your purchases or be able to trade less. Maybe the local authorities would introduce a curfew, meaning fewer people out on the streets at night, making blending more difficult, and meaning guards would be instantly suspicious of anyone walking outside after dark. These sorts of restrictions would directly affect the player's environment and their ability to interact with the world, encouraging discrete behavior.

Eternal Reward
I'd like to see some potential for none lethal kills, with your fists. Maybe some abilities could reflect that. SB is the only one that comes to mind.

Which, btw, nothing is as fun in AC3 as smoking an entire patrol of soldiers, taking them all out quickly in the smoke with your hidden blades, and then walking away, totally undetected. I did it once in front of ANOTHER patrol.

They were all like "WTF?!"

SixKeys
03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
for anyone wondering about this i read that one of the three cities will have a base of operations...similar to ACB...i cant remember which though...it might have been Kingston

It'll probably be Nassau which was a pirate base. Kingston was run by British soldiers and is a very dangerous area, according to the previews. I imagine it'll be a bit like Cappadocia in ACR.

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Perhaps there could be some kind of overall consequences to the world around you that happen as a result of your actions. For example, if people hear there's a ruthless killer loose, they might be less willing to help strangers so you might not get as many discounts for your purchases or be able to trade less. Maybe the local authorities would introduce a curfew, meaning fewer people out on the streets at night, making blending more difficult, and meaning guards would be instantly suspicious of anyone walking outside after dark. These sorts of restrictions would directly affect the player's environment and their ability to interact with the world, encouraging discrete behavior.

I'd love to see these things. But then you have to think how could we stop the effects once they happen? Would it just be a case of waiting until the effects of what you've done die down? Maybe the actions we take to reduce the effects of notoriety need to be revamped...actually, they definitely do!

SixKeys
03-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd love to see these things. But then you have to think how could we stop the effects once they happen? Would it just be a case of waiting until the effects of what you've done die down? Maybe the actions we take to reduce the effects of notoriety need to be revamped...actually, they definitely do!

I was thinking the effects would fade over time. Let's say, 2-3 in-game days and nights. AC4 has about 50 different locations, so if you raise trouble in one of them, there'll be enough places to chill for a while before returning there. A bit like how in ACB if the Borgia tower captain escaped before you could kill him, you would have to wait until the following day before trying again.

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
-That issue is a direct result of having one button free-run instead of 2. I honestly think the positives outweigh the negative as far as that goes.
-I'd like to see certain tools make a return (love the rope dart). Adding new ones with different properties instead of just 'kill', potentially adding some strategy to combat.
-Loved tree-running. These forests will have more of a tropical, lush-green vibe like the Mayan mission in AC3. Breakable branches maybe? having to actually avoid certain branches would be cool
-I didn't really mind the QTE animal interactions, but they could reduce the counter-window.
-Unless they mo-cap a horse i really don't care if horses return xD
-Underwater combat weirds me out just thinking about it.
-Want
-Want

- I'm thinking maybve a mix of the two system where you hold one button to run a at top speed, do small jumps etc. But to actually climb wall you need to hold/tap X. I agree with you though that AC3 was a overall a slight improvement, so maybe I'm wrong.
- I loved the ropedart too and it was such a perfect fit for the tree-parkour. You are spot on about giving tools more strategic uses and not just killing. I wouldn't mind something for traversing/puzzle solving, that kind of thing.
- Why do everyone want breakable branches lol. I'm too casual for stuff like that.
- Horses need to take a break until next gen when they can have faster streaming of the world, which results in potentially faster horses. No horses is a clear bonus for this setting.

I agree, the posters and town criers are old hat and I was disappointed to see they were back in AC3 after they stressed how much they tried to rework every system in the series. I don't have an easy answer to how notoriety should be improved, but clearly something needs to be in place for there to be any point to being stealthy. It's also stupid how in every game all the guards seem to have a fish's memory. Once you've paid a town crier, everyone just forgets about the 10-minute massacre in broad daylight that you started only a few minutes ago.

You always make me feel so casual :). Does it really have to be so complicated and have longtime consequences? I dunno, I have gotten too lazy I guess lol. I mean killing a random guard in a town is a pretty standard thing in AC. It's just a bit tedious if every time you do that you get you into this long spiral of events that you have to work yourself out of. I feel like tougher and tougher guards arriving until you either die, or successfully escape and hide somewhere is kind of enough.

Your idea is in principle much better and more realistic though.

Locopells
03-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Or you just quit to the main menu and reload...

UrDeviant1
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I was thinking the effects would fade over time. Let's say, 2-3 in-game days and nights. AC4 has about 50 different locations, so if you raise trouble in one of them, there'll be enough places to chill for a while before returning there. A bit like how in ACB if the Borgia tower captain escaped before you could kill him, you would have to wait until the following day before trying again.

I could see that becoming annoying. If you had notoriety but wanted to stay In the area, you'd be getting detected too often unless you go somewhere you don't necessarily want to and wait. I like the parts about your notoriety having an effect on the world around you but I think I'd prefer the option to squash my notoriety In order to remain In the area. Unless there was a way to speed up the wait time, maybe sitting in a bar getting drunk...hey-ho it's morning.

ACfan443
03-04-2013, 10:46 PM
I like this thread :)

ElDoucherino
03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
The gametrailer dude (sorry, forgot about his name) in the Black Flag preview vid mentioned something about spyglass. That you'll have it at hand and will use it to scout the area of the sea. Maybe unfogging at sea will be totally removed in the sense of viewpoints but rather have the spyglass and a overall map of the sea to unfog that map. Maybe you'll have to buy or collect or better up find bits of pieces of that map at the end of specific side missions to reveal that area. And perhaps intel missions are back in which you can gather intel about certain harbors or areas in which there are enemy ships and whatnot. But from what I have gather from the information release so far I am leaning towards that the sea map will be something to explore throu that spyglass.

SixKeys
03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
You always make me feel so casual :). Does it really have to be so complicated and have longtime consequences? I dunno, I have gotten too lazy I guess lol. I mean killing a random guard in a town is a pretty standard thing in AC. It's just a bit tedious if every time you do that you get you into this long spiral of events that you have to work yourself out of. I feel like tougher and tougher guards arriving until you either die, or successfully escape and hide somewhere is kind of enough.

Your idea is in principle much better and more realistic though.

Maybe I'm the one who's casual. One of my favorite things about AC has always been exploring the world and doing everything there is to be done. I just wish there was a better compromise between the notoriety in AC2-ACR and AC3. In AC2, you barely had to run twenty metres before the guards gave up chasing you and then you had to walk around ripping down posters. In AC3, escaping is extremely tedious because there are guards no matter where you turn and hiding spots are much more sparse. Sometimes I spend a good 10 minutes just trying to shake the guards off my tail in AC3 and it gets so annoying I don't even want to keep playing anymore. The system in AC1 was better because guards wouldn't give up chasing you until you found a hiding spot, but there was still room for improvement to the overall enemy AI.

What I'm suggesting may indeed be more complicated than it needs to be. I still think it would be cool, but for a less complicated yet still more realistic notoriety system look no further than RDR. Your actions in that game impact how townspeople address you (whether they'll be friendly or start whispering in terror as soon as they see you). The more crimes you commit, the more marshals will be sent after you and the bounty on your head increases, so even random strangers will be more likely to attack you. You can decrease your notoriety by doing good deeds to clear your name, by acquiring an official pardon or by wearing a mask to conceal your identity. These are all simple things that could work in AC as well.

pacmanate
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
All I can say is this is just the beginning!

Sushiglutton
03-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Maybe I'm the one who's casual. One of my favorite things about AC has always been exploring the world and doing everything there is to be done. I just wish there was a better compromise between the notoriety in AC2-ACR and AC3. In AC2, you barely had to run twenty metres before the guards gave up chasing you and then you had to walk around ripping down posters. In AC3, escaping is extremely tedious because there are guards no matter where you turn and hiding spots are much more sparse. Sometimes I spend a good 10 minutes just trying to shake the guards off my tail in AC3 and it gets so annoying I don't even want to keep playing anymore. The system in AC1 was better because guards wouldn't give up chasing you until you found a hiding spot, but there was still room for improvement to the overall enemy AI.

What I'm suggesting may indeed be more complicated than it needs to be. I still think it would be cool, but for a less complicated yet still more realistic notoriety system look no further than RDR. Your actions in that game impact how townspeople address you (whether they'll be friendly or start whispering in terror as soon as they see you). The more crimes you commit, the more marshals will be sent after you and the bounty on your head increases, so even random strangers will be more likely to attack you. You can decrease your notoriety by doing good deeds to clear your name, by acquiring an official pardon or by wearing a mask to conceal your identity. These are all simple things that could work in AC as well.

Yeah I really feel that the game should not force the player to do things he doesn't want for too long. In that sense I want a "nice" game.

Ha, that's a really good example. I wasn't annoyed by the system in RDR at all. It worked great actually. There were also some rewards for being bad (like a special horse) and getting a really high bounty was kind of a challenge in its own. Maybe AC4 could have a similar morality system with bad, non stealthy deeds = "Pirate", good deeds = Assassin?

BATISTABUS
03-04-2013, 11:29 PM
I don't feel like reading through all of this, but I'm interested in who's scoring the game. I expect it'll be Lorne, but I just want some official confirmation.

LoyalACFan
03-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I read a preview somewhere that mentioned Edward using his telescope to scan distant islands for "High Points", so I guess that confirms viewpoints are returning.

Assassin_M
03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Problems that have not been addressed ??

Hmm...Major Features being cut constantly ?? assurance that this "AC I style Assassinations" is not a "one time wonder" thing ??