PDA

View Full Version : Corey May vs. Darby McDevitt

Radman500
03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
who do you think is the better writer..??

deskp
03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Is abit of an unfair comparison, cause Corey kindof makes the overall story, so Darby dont have full creative control(relatively)

nitres15
Johny Pepperoni beats both

Radman500
Is abit of an unfair comparison, cause Corey kindof makes the overall story, so Darby dont have full creative control(relatively)

but revelations imo is the best story of the ezio trilogy (yes including 2)

AssassinVenice
03-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Corey May screwed up ACIII's story big time. Just saying.

pacmanate
03-03-2013, 09:51 PM
JK Rowling!

ACfan443
03-03-2013, 10:08 PM
JK Rowling!

Thieves don't deserve recognition.

silvermercy
03-03-2013, 10:11 PM
E. L. James of course! 50 Shades of Assassin was amazing!

UrDeviant1
03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Tolkien beats all these noobs. ;)

Sushiglutton
03-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Completely off topic, but I'm saying it anyway: Sam Lake is my favourite video game writer (Max Payne 1&2 + Alan Wake). That guy is a beast. Back on topic: I have no idea :(.

UrDeviant1
03-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Completely off topic, but I'm saying it anyway: Sam Lake is my favourite video game writer (Max Payne 1&2 + Alan Wake). That guy is a beast. Back on topic: I have no idea :(.

I loved Alan Wake. Shame we haven't got a sequel :(

WalSwJan
03-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Anthony Burch did a great job with writing Borderlands 2,loved it. (jumping on the offtopic-train)

Sushiglutton
03-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I loved Alan Wake. Shame we haven't got a sequel :(

I'm pretty sure he is working on it. I'm terrified it will be an XBOX exclusive though :(. That would break my heart!

D.I.D.
03-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he is working on it. I'm terrified it will be an XBOX exclusive though :(. That would break my heart!

They had huge success with the PC version, as I recall. Despite the long wait, it was in profit within... 2 days after launch? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, apparently it wasn't the usual anti-piracy story, and it was about resources, so I expect they'll have a big enough budget to cover both formats this time.

PC gamers could do quite well during this transition to the next gen, since a few companies (including Ubisoft) have been making noises in the last couple of months about valuing the PC market. I wonder if they're predicting a slow-down in last gen sales and a slow uptake in new gen sales?

UrDeviant1
03-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Good, it's been a while. I wanna know more about this lady of the lake. lol. Hopefully it is multi-plat.

Sushiglutton
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
They had huge success with the PC version, as I recall. Despite the long wait, it was in profit within... 2 days after launch? Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, apparently it wasn't the usual anti-piracy story, and it was about resources, so I expect they'll have a big enough budget to cover both formats this time.

PC gamers could do quite well during this transition to the next gen, since a few companies (including Ubisoft) have been making noises in the last couple of months about valuing the PC market. I wonder if they're predicting a slow-down in last gen sales and a slow uptake in new gen sales?

I hope you are right. In theory MS could pay Remedy to make it exclusive, but I really hope not. Yeah PC-gaming is doing great atm it seems. On PC Ubisoft can sell directly to the customer through UPlay so they get 100% of the profit.. On Ps3 the retailer takes a big chunk, and so does Sony. So I can see why they want to flirt a bit with PC-gamers ;). Also since next gen will be more PC-like in architecture more companies will likely port from PC. For example Yves said Watchdogs is made on PC and will be ported to the five consoles. We shall see, I'm optimistic.

BATISTABUS
03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I love them both!

souNdwAve89
03-03-2013, 10:56 PM
May and McDevitt have their strengths and weaknesses. I like all three writers: May, McDevitt, and Yolahem.

ACfan443
03-03-2013, 10:59 PM
May and McDevitt have their strengths and weaknesses. I like all three writers: May, McDevitt, and Yolahem.

I like Yohalem the best, he wrote all the mysterious glyph and cluster stuff, need him back for that.

nukelukespuke34
03-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Cory wrote the awesome ACII, but then he also did III. So.....eh

TheHumanTowel
03-03-2013, 11:07 PM
We need that Trinity working on one AC game. Or at least working out the overarching story while doing things individually.

dewgel
03-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Corey May screwed up ACIII's story big time. Just saying.

Actually, Corey's tried hard to clean up Darby's mess he caused.

Also, Corey wrote a boat load more than what's shown in the game, blame the big hat's at Ubisoft for cutting almost half of the game out and making his script inconsistent and confusing.

rupok2
03-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Actually, Corey's tried hard to clean up Darby's mess he caused.

Also, Corey wrote a boat load more than what's shown in the game, blame the big hat's at Ubisoft for cutting almost half of the game out and making his script inconsistent and confusing.

This is what I think as well. I think Darby basically f'ed up the story in revelations with basically leaving out lucy, the secret messages from subject 16 and all the mystery was just gone. Corey probably tried to retcon alot of stuff, that retconning in addition to cutting out parts of the game made the plot out to flow really badly in AC3.

ajl992008
03-03-2013, 11:35 PM
This is what I think as well. I think Darby basically f'ed up the story in revelations with basically leaving out lucy, the secret messages from subject 16 and all the mystery was just gone. Corey probably tried to retcon alot of stuff, that retconning in addition to cutting out parts of the game made the plot out to flow really badly in AC3.

the stuff about lucy was in the game and subject 16 stuff was there, it was cut from the main game by the creative director to focus on desmond, that isn't darby's fault, you guys are thinking about it from an overall plot perspective which is done by an entire team not just darby, if you look at the general dialogue and where the story went for ezio and altair and especially demsond (his sections had brilliant writing) then he did a good job, corey also in my opinion did a great job, I like the acb writer but he imo is the weakest as i didn't like acb's story but he did contribute to ac2. they are all talented writers, I think darby will do an even better job on ac4 black flag as he will probably be given more freedom in terms of the story and so can create something amazing!

TheHumanTowel
03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
The decision to cut out Lucy from the main game was made by Alex Amancio not Darby.

rupok2
03-03-2013, 11:44 PM
The decision to cut out Lucy from the main game was made by Alex Amancio not Darby.

Well I am glad he left then but isn't he back after the THQ fiasco? Who is the creative director now?

TheHumanTowel
03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Well I am glad he left then but isn't he back after the THQ fiasco? Who is the creative director now?
I dunno. But yeah I hope it isn't him. I hope for this game the writers have more say or at least the creative director understands the story better than Amancio.

rupok2
03-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I dunno. But yeah I hope it isn't him. I hope for this game the writers have more say or at least the creative director understands the story better than Amancio.

O crap I just remembered that I voted yes on a poll about him coming back a few weeks ago. I had no idea he was responsible for ac story being messed up. Please someone tell me he isn't working on the ac creative director position anymore.

ACfan443
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Cory wrote the awesome ACII, but then he also did III. So.....eh

He also wrote AC1, basically all the numbered titles. (Apart from black flag, which doesn't deserve to have the number in its title).

Chariflame
03-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Both of them have done some great stuff, and some not so great stuff.

Jeffrey Yohalem is definitely my favourite writer, though. His work on The Lost Archive was pretty astounding, as well as his other contributions to AC and Far Cry 3.

souNdwAve89
03-04-2013, 01:11 AM

You're thinking of Patrice Desilets, who was one of the original creators for the Assassin's Creed series. He left Ubisoft after Brotherhood was shipped and went to THQ Montreal. At the moment, there is no news if he's back at Ubisoft or not. Alex Amancio left Ubisoft and the game industry a few weeks after Revelations shipped. He went to work at a marketing company I believe. According to his Linkedin account, Alex Amancio has been back at Ubisoft since July 2012, so he might be the Creative Director for Black Flag since he says he is working on an unannounced AAA title.

monoman32
03-04-2013, 02:51 AM
You're thinking of Patrice Desilets, who was one of the original creators for the Assassin's Creed series. He left Ubisoft after Brotherhood was shipped and went to THQ Montreal. At the moment, there is no news if he's back at Ubisoft or not. Alex Amancio left Ubisoft and the game industry a few weeks after Revelations shipped. He went to work at a marketing company I believe. According to his Linkedin account, Alex Amancio has been back at Ubisoft since July 2012, so he might be the Creative Director for Black Flag since he says he is working on an unannounced AAA title.

I think Ubisoft bought THQ, so technically he works for Ubi now. But i'm not sure.

ProletariatPleb
03-04-2013, 02:57 AM
:| This topic is bad.

http://i.imgur.com/umZS4.jpg

AdamPearce
03-04-2013, 03:55 AM

I don't think he can get in a project that's already on developement. Cause they will have to fire to original one which I think they won't do. And I think that after the fiasco of Revelations, Amancio it's definitely out of Assassin's Creed, weel, I hope so.

AltairCBM
03-04-2013, 04:00 AM
Corey did a decent enough job. Just please keep Darby away from the script. For example, the part in Revelations where they repeat dialogue(as Ezio was trying to save Sofia, Ahmet says "she's all yours" two different times within two minutes for two different reasons).

ProletariatPleb
03-04-2013, 04:01 AM
Corey did a decent enough job. Just please keep Darby away from the script. For example, the part in Revelations where they repeat dialogue(as Ezio was trying to save Sofia, Ahmet says "she's all yours" two different times within two minutes for two different reasons).
But Revelations story was solid.

rupok2
03-04-2013, 04:15 AM
But Revelations story was solid.

They have alot of retconning to do imo.

ProletariatPleb
03-04-2013, 04:18 AM
They have alot of retconning to do imo.
Well I meant as in terms of like the themes, they nailed moral ambiguity, Ezio being an assassin(and not Brotherhood's robin hood) and doing what he must as an assassin, Templars not being shown as "bad guys" (Cesare was like the epitome of being a typical bad guy)

The parachute ending was kind of ridiculous tho.

rupok2
03-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Well I meant as in terms of like the themes, they nailed moral ambiguity, Ezio being an assassin(and not Brotherhood's robin hood) and doing what he must as an assassin, Templars not being shown as "bad guys" (Cesare was like the epitome of being a typical bad guy)

The parachute ending was kind of ridiculous tho.

This is true the core story was pretty good.

pirate1802
03-04-2013, 05:17 AM

Agreed :D Alan Wake had an awesome story.

kosmoscreed
03-04-2013, 06:07 AM
I don't care to be honest, Cory did a good job in previous games but 3 is a little mess in my opinion, and the same can be said of Revelations. By the way, let's not pretend that Darby is responsible of some of the big decisions of Revelations, that came from Cory and the main guys that take care of the story of the series.