PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

killerman_2012
03-02-2013, 03:32 AM
http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/uploads/Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-Key-Art.jpg

All we know about AC4BF: this will take place in the Caribbean on 1715, the protagonist will be Edward Kenway (Haytham's father and Connor's grandpa), it will be all about pirates...

Pirates??? Caribbean??? where did I hear that two words together before?

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/mv/badelt/pirates.jpg

Really? we'll do parkour through the ships? the watchtowers will be the masts? they've changed beautiful cities like Florence or Constantinople for the sea... At that time the Caribbean had no great cities!!! La Havana and Jamaica were little towns :(

All hints pointed to a sequel for Connor during the French Revolution... many people was waiting that!
I feel very dissapointed. But we must to wait Monday for make an objective observation...

AssassinGame1
03-02-2013, 03:43 AM
I loved the navel in AC3 and Black Flag is full of it so im going to look forward to this (hopefuly the entire game's setting doesnt take place in a ship). And yes, the Caribbean had no great cities (they're cities were small) but it did have big open seas for a better naval expierience.
Maybe the world premiere trailer for AC4 Black Flag will change your thoughts about the game:)

Frank9182011
03-02-2013, 03:49 AM
You guys have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

"Little towns"?

http://http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg/718px-Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg/718px-Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg)

AssassinGame1
03-02-2013, 03:55 AM
You guys have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

"Little towns"?

http://http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg/718px-Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg/718px-Panorama_of_La_Habana_%28Amsterdam%2C_17th_century %29.jpg)

It may look big in the pic, but its is small in real life. Most of the sea makes it look big.

killerman_2012
03-02-2013, 04:05 AM
I hope we'll visit London... we know Edward Kenway is an englishman, and he settled in London with his family on his last years...

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:10 AM
The reason why Connor didn't have a sequel is obvious: He wasn't well-liked.

As for this setting, it has the potential to be the most beautiful AC setting yet, even beating Florence and Venice.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:11 AM
It may look big in the pic, but its is small in real life. Most of the sea makes it look big.

As far as I know, Havana at that time was bigger than atleast Boston and New York..

Frank9182011
03-02-2013, 04:14 AM

I imagine you are able to verify this due to all of your firsthand experience with Eighteenth Century Cuba.

I hope you are also aware that when an image contains a large source of open space, such as a body of water, its effect is to render the subject of the image smaller in contrast, not larger.

The more we know...!

Frank9182011
03-02-2013, 04:18 AM
As far as I know, Havana at that time was bigger than atleast Boston and New York..

In fact, you are absolutely correct.

See: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Havana#17th.E2.80.9318th_centuries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Havana#17th.E2.80.9318th_centuries)

Rugterwyper32
03-02-2013, 04:19 AM

Thing is, you're taking the idea at face value. Boston and New York were probably smaller than this by the time AC3 rolled in. Havana had been around for 115 years before Boston was founded, 95 years in the case of New York.
Besides, you know Ubisoft can take liberties with expanding the cities to a degree to make them work. They have taken their liberties with city design before, I mean, they put a Gothic Cathedral in the middle of Acre a few centuries before the Gothic movement even began. And Rome took a more baroque look even though Brotherhood was set during the Renaissance. So yeah, they can make the city as big as they can. And c'mon, you can't deny it would be a great place to see
http://clio.missouristate.edu/chuchiak/Colonial%20Havana.jpg
I can understand being concerned about Kingston, which was very recent compared to the other two cities in the game, but then again, they can somehow make it work.

killerman_2012
03-02-2013, 04:20 AM
The reason why Connor didn't have a sequel is obvious: He wasn't well-liked.

Does that mean Ubisoft is improvising? What if Connor was well-liked?

Radman500
03-02-2013, 04:24 AM
Does that mean Ubisoft is improvising? What if Connor was well-liked?

they probably would of done a "brotherhood" type game for connor, but he wasn't that popular

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:26 AM
If he was well-liked he'd have got the Ezio treatment. Not three games but I believe atleast one more is due.

doogsy91
03-02-2013, 04:28 AM
From memory, the populations of the cities in AC1 were presented in the pause menu and if I recall correctly, they were all in the 40 000s which is not that big. For gameplay purposes I don't think any cities need to be much bigger than any of those, so I'm not worried.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:31 AM
From memory, the populations of the cities in AC1 were presented in the pause menu and if I recall correctly, they were all in the 40 000s which is not that big. For gameplay purposes I don't think any cities need to be much bigger than any of those, so I'm not worried.

I think the population of Havana and other nearby cities at this time was around 50,000 so that's similar :D

Radman500
03-02-2013, 04:36 AM
i got a question, was there more black people living in the carribean islands at the time of the golden age of piracy, when this game takes place?

Alexanderjac
03-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Well the timeframe for having it set in the French Revolution is way off. You said the game will take place in 1715, but the French Revolution doesn't start until much later. (Bastille was stormed in 1789)

shobhit7777777
03-02-2013, 06:20 AM
I'd like to focus on the positives right now -

1. A Caribbean setting would actually be visually very appealing. I think the coastal cities and island towns (I'm assuming here) would make for far more interesting locations - interesting cultural and racial diversity, interesting characters (Pirate game and all) etc. Where Boston and NY felt kind of 'vanilla' I'm hoping Black Flags has a more lively urban set-up

2. Foliage - Lush vegetation and wilderness. 'Nuff said

3. Naval Aspect - I think the whole idea of being a "pirate" MAY have some very interesting gameplay and narrative possibilities. Afterall an Assassin Ship is basically a mobile HQ...could this mean a more international, missionary/expeditionary approach towards the Assassin order...which kind of makes sense. Besides the Assassins had to have had a strong naval presence to make ANY difference in the world at THAT time.

I am just praying super hard that the dev team sorts out their absolutely game killing propensity to veer towards non-Assassin stuff and cram in cliched, tropey RPG/Open world quests and other fluff....AND to nail the mission design. Not expecting any new mechanics or game changing features beyond AC3 from AC4

doogsy91
03-02-2013, 07:58 AM
I'd like to focus on the positives right now -

1. A Caribbean setting would actually be visually very appealing. I think the coastal cities and island towns (I'm assuming here) would make for far more interesting locations - interesting cultural and racial diversity, interesting characters (Pirate game and all) etc. Where Boston and NY felt kind of 'vanilla' I'm hoping Black Flags has a more lively urban set-up

2. Foliage - Lush vegetation and wilderness. 'Nuff said

3. Naval Aspect - I think the whole idea of being a "pirate" MAY have some very interesting gameplay and narrative possibilities. Afterall an Assassin Ship is basically a mobile HQ...could this mean a more international, missionary/expeditionary approach towards the Assassin order...which kind of makes sense. Besides the Assassins had to have had a strong naval presence to make ANY difference in the world at THAT time.

I am just praying super hard that the dev team sorts out their absolutely game killing propensity to veer towards non-Assassin stuff and cram in cliched, tropey RPG/Open world quests and other fluff....AND to nail the mission design. Not expecting any new mechanics or game changing features beyond AC3 from AC4
Agreed. Quality of narrative, stupidity of mission design and oversaturation of unnecessary features all need serious tending to.

killerman_2012
03-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Well the timeframe for having it set in the French Revolution is way off. You said the game will take place in 1715, but the French Revolution doesn't start until much later. (Bastille was stormed in 1789)
Obviously xD
I know the French Revolution started on 1789.
I said "All pointed to a sequel for Connor during the French Revolution" because of the hints they gave us within the game: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/753423-Assassin-s-Creed-4-to-take-place-in-the-French-Revolution?highlight=french+revolution

Why Ubisoft gave us that hints pointing to the French Rev. then? I was very sure the next game would be placed there.... I'm confused now... why did they change it for pirates? :(

However I hope on Monday they'll surprise me with Black Flag :)

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Obviously xD
I know the French Revolution started on 1789.
I said "All pointed to a sequel for Connor during the French Revolution" because of the hints they gave us within the game: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/753423-Assassin-s-Creed-4-to-take-place-in-the-French-Revolution?highlight=french+revolution

Why Ubisoft gave us that hints pointing to the French Rev. then? I was very sure the next game would be placed there.... I'm confused now... why did they change it for pirates? :(

I hope on Monday they'll surprise me :)

They may yet do a French revolution AC. My friend in Initiates tells me that in the timeline there are three "rebuilding data" sites. One is at early 1700s that obviously is AC BF. There's one more at the time of the French Revolution, and another at 1940s.

killerman_2012
03-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Well I hope you're right :)
I trust in the next-gen game to take place in France. Now I must focus in Black Flag... please Ubisoft, don't disappoint me with this game!

I'm happy to know Havana wasn't as little as I thought... at least is bigger than Boston and New York.

Do you think will we also visit London? We know Edward settled in London with his second wife, Tessa (Haytham's mother).

roostersrule2
03-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Well I hope you're right :)
I trust in the next-gen game to take place in France. Now I must focus in Black Flag... please Ubisoft, don't disappoint me with this game!

I'm happy to know Havana wasn't as little as I thought... at least is bigger than Boston and New York.

Do you think will we also visit London? We know Edward settled in London with his second wife, Tessa (Haytham's mother).I really hope so, but if they do I reckon they make it a one mission kind of thing or a huge map. No in between stuff.

hellomrdarcy
03-02-2013, 09:19 AM

However I hope on Monday they'll surprise me with Black Flag :)

Agreed. Even if I'm really excited over AC4, I'm not completely happy about leaving Connor. I feel like there's so much more to his story, he didn't get a closure in the end of ac3, and it left me quite... unsatisfied. I also think that he's so much of a strong character - and still very young in the end of ac3 - that that they still can make one more interesting game about him (eventho I know Ubisoft don't want to wear out a character like they did with Ezio).

And Ubisoft is not stupid, I think they knew that making this totally different character for a new game, after leaving playboy-Ezio we've known for three games, would get mixed feedback. BUT if you look past the whining Ezio fanboys/fangirls, I personally feel like people kind of more and more started to like Connor, he gets his bit of love too. And let's admit it - it's always the same reaction towards new characters that'll "take over"; there's always a bunch of people that will hate them in the beginning.

Other than that, AC4 being about Edward Kenway and not a totally different bloodline or one more distant person from Connor, made me think that Ubisoft is planning something with this, and not just randomly thinking "hey this would be cool". They have some motive by having another Kenway as the main character for the next game. It'll be interesting to see what they will reveal when the trailer drops...

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I really hope so, but if they do I reckon they make it a one mission kind of thing or a huge map. No in between stuff.

Kinda like ACR's Cappadocia?

roostersrule2
03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Kinda like ACR's Cappadocia?No I liked Cappadocia, It's different with London because it should be a huge city not a little one.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
No I liked Cappadocia, It's different with London because it should be a huge city not a little one.

I meant more in a one-off visit sense. Also like Viana in ACB.

roostersrule2
03-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I meant more in a one-off visit sense. Also like Viana in ACB.You can revisit Cappadocia and actually yes exactly like Cappadoica but it's different because Cappadocia is a small city whereas London is not.

shobhit7777777
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Agreed. Quality of narrative, stupidity of mission design and oversaturation of unnecessary features all need serious tending to.

Agreed with your agreement ;)

RinoTheBouncer
03-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I just hate how they concluded how the theme of the next game will look like based on the reaction of some people to side missions and short parts of ACIII. I'd rather have ancient egyptians assassinate pharaohs or sumerian assassins assassinating sumerian leaders not turning pirates to assassins.

dewgel
03-02-2013, 11:46 AM
AC fans are what's ruining this series, with all your complains and moaning. You all complain about how AC2,B,R and 3 were too much of the same, yet when they give you a spin off you complain because it sounds like something different.

As for those complaining about the next sequel, let me run this idea past you.

Black Flags is a numbered sequel, which they said they would always do for new Assassins, to avoid confusion. Yes, there were rumours and hints that we're going to the French revolution, but those rumours were for a next-gen title and Ubisoft had simply been hiring researchers etc.

That rumour was around January time.. do you really think Ubisoft would be hiring a researcher that late? Black Flags will have been in development sometime early in 2012, they've said this is the first time a studio other than Montreal will be handling it.

eagleforlife1
03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
AC fans are what's ruining this series, with all your complains and moaning. You all complain about how AC2,B,R and 3 were too much of the same, yet when they give you a spin off you complain because it sounds like something different.

As for those complaining about the next sequel, let me run this idea past you.

Black Flags is a numbered sequel, which they said they would always do for new Assassins, to avoid confusion. Yes, there were rumours and hints that we're going to the French revolution, but those rumours were for a next-gen title and Ubisoft had simply been hiring researchers etc.

That rumour was around January time.. do you really think Ubisoft would be hiring a researcher that late? Black Flags will have been in development sometime early in 2012, they've said this is the first time a studio other than Montreal will be handling it.

People are entitled to their own opinions. just because it doesn't fall in line with yours doesn't make them wrong.

Layytez
03-02-2013, 12:48 PM
To be honest I don't care where they go because they can make it make sense just by looking at history book. What I care about is the modern day storyline because that is all them. They don't need to go to a library to confirm it although at this point I don't know how much relevance in AC4 it will have. I assume that AC3 and AC4 will look very much the same with the hud slightly changed. I wonder why we are going to Edward though...they never go through memories unless it has some important to the modern day story line. Maybe Edward found something that is connected to Eve and defeating Juno.