PDA

View Full Version : so Edward is a master swordsman

Radman500
03-02-2013, 02:59 AM
pretty much all the assassins have been that, but will he be as good as connor

it says he trained haytham to be good , in the book

but we all remember connor succeeds him and beats him and is superior to haytham in combat....

will ed be as good as his grandson in combat

Saqaliba
03-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Well he is a Privateer, in the 1700's, they usually were pretty trusty with a blade, but not good enough to stop two thugs invading his house.

Farlander1991
03-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Connor can't beat Haytham in a fair fight. And being blown away by a cannonball is not 'beating somebody'.

AssassinGame1
03-02-2013, 03:48 AM
(WARNING, THIS POST HAS A ASSASSIN'S CREED 3 *SPOILER* IN IT)

If Haytham was a Templar, does that mean that Edward was one too?

Saqaliba
03-02-2013, 04:21 AM
No. Edward was an Assassin. It was Reginald Birch who had Edward killed and then indoctrinated Haythem into the Templar order. Read the book.

Radman500
03-02-2013, 04:31 AM
Connor can't beat Haytham in a fair fight. And being blown away by a cannonball is not 'beating somebody'.

didn't connor beat haytham in a fair fight

Farlander1991
03-02-2013, 04:43 AM
didn't connor beat haytham in a fair fight

Their battle ended with the cannonball blowing up near them, throwing them apart. Then they both could barely get up, and we had the final cutscene with Haytham.

Will_Lucky
03-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Well he is a Privateer, in the 1700's, they usually were pretty trusty with a blade, but not good enough to stop two thugs invading his house.

Not entirely sure on the circumstances of the fight, or Edwards age. He had evidently retired from being a Pirate by that age.

Their battle ended with the cannonball blowing up near them, throwing them apart. Then they both could barely get up, and we had the final cutscene with Haytham.

Aye, both were heavily wounded...not to mention Haytham was a complete idiot in that final fight.

Farlander1991
03-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Aye, both were heavily wounded...not to mention Haytham was a complete idiot in that final fight.

If you mean the 'taking off the hand off the hidden blade' thing, I actually think Haytham did that on purpose. In the end, he loved his son (the 'I should've killed you long ago' to me is a very messed up 'I love you'), and he knew that one of them has to die because they both are not going to back up from their ideology and goals. So he made a choice. He's too experienced in battle for that kind of mistake NOT to be a choice.

Yeah, I kinda think that Haytham got messed up by the time their final battle came. And... well, how couldn't he? On one hand, he fights and tries to kill an Assassin who prevents the Templar cause from flourishing, on another hand, that's his own son.

Erindesh
03-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Maybe now i'll have a good reason to use a sword in AC (cuz pirates)

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Maybe now i'll have a good reason to use a sword in AC (cuz pirates)

Agreed. In this game I'll primarily use the sword for teh piratey feelz

AherasSTRG
03-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Edward Kenway was a privateer. Privateers were wealthy individuals capable to man ships and owners of a governemental "marque", which allowed them to capture or take down foreign flagged ships when seen in the open sea. Because the reward was higher when the ship was captured, but not destroyed, fights were not only naval, but included sparring on the decks of the ships. Captains themselves were expert swordsmen (as they usually came from royal or aristocratic families). Privateering in those days was considered to be a very respected occupation since it combined patriotism with personal gain.
Therefore, Edward = privateer/captain + assassin = expert swordsman.
The fact that Connor manages to kill Haytham is something else. The environment and the cunning of Connor played a great role, as well as Connor's abilities with the tomahawk.

DisbandedBox359
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Agreed. In this game I'll primarily use the sword for teh piratey feelz

traitors, hidden blade for life :p

UnlistedBeatle
03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I haven't read Forsaken, is it mentioned if Edward had suffered any bad injuries during the course of his pirate days? Like Connor did at the end of AC3. If he did, that combined with perhaps advancing age may mean that two thugs were able to kill him.

About Haytham, we have to remember he was a good 30 years older than Connor. A 27 year old master Assassin as strong as Connor fighting a Haytham aged in his late 50s would always have an advantage, no matter how tall or strong or skilled a swordsman Haytham was. I haven't played it in a while though, but weren't they fairly evenly matched? Haytham got killed because for some reason he seemed to forget Connor had hidden blades. A bit of a rookie mistake there, and quite uncharacteristic of him. Haytham was a pretty good fighter, and I loved hacking through guards with him in the start of the game. His sword skills were very fluid and powerful.

itsamea-mario
03-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Now i didn't read Forsaken, but i will also assume that when Edward died he was pretty old. And two thugs? i thought there were more.

But i think he will be a master swordsman. to be fair, they're all master swordsmen, but their styles are different, haytham was much more orthodox that connor, who used his sword like a big knife/machete.

I know Edward was very keen on teaching Haytham swordplay, so i assume that means he has great respect for proper sword technique and is probably very well trained himself.

Megas_Doux
03-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I haven't read Forsaken, is it mentioned if Edward had suffered any bad injuries during the course of his pirate days? Like Connor did at the end of AC3. If he did, that combined with perhaps advancing age may mean that two thugs were able to kill him.

About Haytham, we have to remember he was a good 30 years older than Connor. A 27 year old master Assassin as strong as Connor fighting a Haytham aged in his late 50s would always have an advantage, no matter how tall or strong or skilled a swordsman Haytham was. I haven't played it in a while though, but weren't they fairly evenly matched? Haytham got killed because for some reason he seemed to forget Connor had hidden blades. A bit of a rookie mistake there, and quite uncharacteristic of him. Haytham was a pretty good fighter, and I loved hacking through guards with him in the start of the game. His sword skills were very fluid and powerful.

This!

And also some forget that before their encounter, Connor was hit by the blast of a cannonball.....

UrDeviant1
03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
I remember when Connor was first shown and there was so much talk about about whether or not he had a hidden blade. It's kinda funny now that Edwards blade sticks out like a sore thumb. I'v never been much of a sword user throughout AC but if this really is Edwards signature weapon then I look forward to seeing some cool, unique kill animations.

LieutenantJojo
03-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Connor was actually already wounded when they started fighting, giving Haytham the advantage. Connor wasn't fighting at full strength, so saying that he only won because of that cannonball wounding Haytham is quite unfair, since Connor was already fighting wounded the entire time.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 04:58 PM
I remember when Connor was first shown and there was so much talk about about whether or not he had a hidden blade. It's kinda funny now that Edwards blade sticks out like a sore thumb. I'v never been much of a sword user throughout AC but if this really is Edwards signature weapon then I look forward to seeing some cool, unique kill animations.

Lol yeah I remember. It used to be quite a big point of discussion back then. Traditionalists were crying foul, kinda like they are on this Pirate Assassins Game. The more things change... :p

UrDeviant1
03-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Lol yeah I remember. It used to be quite a big point of discussion back then. Traditionalists were crying foul, kinda like they are on this Pirate Assassins Game. The more things change... :p

Ikr. And there was a lot talk back then about Connors hood not looking pointed in one of the photos, and people were worried about it. And now that Edwards hood clearly isn't pointed, i haven't heard a mention of it :confused: Yeah seems like peoples thoughts are geared towards the pirate theme.

itsamea-mario
03-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Ikr. And there was a lot talk back then about Connors hood not looking pointed in one of the photos, and people were worried about it. And now that Edwards hood clearly isn't pointed, i haven't heard a mention of it :confused: Yeah seems like peoples thoughts are geared towards the pirate theme.

Some people have spoke out against it, i don't really mind, it does seem they're steering away from the eagle theme.

UrDeviant1
03-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Some people have spoke out against it, i don't really mind, it does seem they're steering away from the eagle theme.

I don't mind either tbh. It give him a bit of a rouge-like feel.