PDA

View Full Version : Edward has the potential to be immensely popular...

killzab
03-01-2013, 09:12 PM
I think they're probably aiming for easy popularity with Edward after the less-than-appreciated Connor.

I know some of you guys like Connor a lot and that's fine ! But I also know a large number of players didn't like him at all. But that's not the point.

But Edward is definitely going to be a handsome, badass pirate. And they're obviously going to take advantage of Pirates of the Carribean's popularity.

I don't think Edward will be a Jack Sparrow though ... nor another Ezio, but even on the boxart you can tell he's got that badass attitude.

RzaRecta357
03-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Haha agreed. I didn't mind Conner but you can totally tell by the picture alone they're gonna go for some cocky badass assassin that gets the job done totally and makes Ezio look calm.

I'm kind of hoping we get a smart guy but more of a hot head rather than a mentor like Ezio turned out to be.

Radman500
03-01-2013, 11:39 PM
would yall rather have Blackbeard (who is most likely going to be in the game) as an ally or enemy of Edward?

UrDeviant1
03-01-2013, 11:41 PM
would yall rather have Blackbeard (who is most likely going to be in the game) as an ally or enemy of Edward?

Ally!

pacmanate
03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
There you go looking at the boxart thinking the main protagonist will look like that in game.

Connor is white on the boxart, not in game.
Ezio in Revelations just looks oldish and badass, looked like a monkey in game.
CG Altair had bigish lips, one model was desmond, another one in revelations didn't look like him. Ezios brotherhood boxart didnt look like him in game, it was Desmond.
Ezio's AC3 render didn't look like the boxart or CG either.

TL:DR - The boxart does not depict what the character will look like.

silvermercy
03-02-2013, 12:23 AM
I think they're probably aiming for easy popularity with Edward after the less-than-appreciated Connor.

I know some of you guys like Connor a lot and that's fine ! But I also know a large number of players didn't like him at all. But that's not the point.

But Edward is definitely going to be a handsome, badass pirate. And they're obviously going to take advantage of Pirates of the Carribean's popularity.

I don't think Edward will be a Jack Sparrow though ... nor another Ezio, but even on the boxart you can tell he's got that badass attitude.

All assassins are equally badass IMO. But yes, I think they're trying a different approach now which seems to be easier. Pirates are badasses by default. And they also have fans OUTSIDE the AC fanbase.

Plus, even though Edward may still may fall victim to clichéd pirate stereotypes it will be easier to overcome them compared to Connor. Most people don't care for such stereotypes. For Connor though, Native American experts had to be consulted so as not to offend these populations by mistake. I think this limits story-telling and creativity sometimes and places time-constraints. So who can blame them now for going back to the stereotypical white male? I'll be sad to see Connor go regardless...

Anyway, I also doubt this will be the final render.

FirestarLuva
03-02-2013, 12:38 AM
All assassins are equally badass IMO. But yes, I think they're trying a different approach now which seems to be easier. Pirates are badasses by default. And they also have fans OUTSIDE the AC fanbase.

Plus, even though Edward may still may fall victim to clichéd pirate stereotypes it will be easier to overcome them compared to Connor. Most people don't care for such stereotypes. For Connor though, Native American experts had to be consulted so as not to offend these populations by mistake. I think this limits story-telling and creativity sometimes and places time-constraints. So who can blame them now for going back to the stereotypical white male? I'll be sad to see Connor go regardless...

Anyway, I also doubt this will be the final render.

I think the devs are trying to make their new protagonist as likeable as possible. I mean, he has blonde hair, I bet my whole house he'll also have blue eyes (Haytham got his eyes from someone didn't he?).
I love how people who hate Connor say Edward will be better because he is Haytham's father which automatically means he'll be just like Haytham/Ezio. It'd be so funny if Edward turns out to be the same personality-wise like Connor XD, serious, brooding, etc. Edward and Connor do share some similarities; both assassins, ship captains. :P Maybe the bigger part of Connor's personality comes from Edward, not his father. I always found Connor more similar to Ziio, physically and emotionally.
And also, from the TOKW speech, Connor seems very fond of Edward. :P

silvermercy
03-02-2013, 12:49 AM
I bet my whole house he'll also have blue eyes (Haytham got his eyes from someone didn't he?).
Oh I'm like 99.99% sure he has blue eyes. In fact, I think in a close up shot of Edward I could almost see some lightness that indicates blue color. Plus, he's a natural blond. lol

ajl992008
03-02-2013, 12:56 AM
heres what i am expecting:

- he will be a hot head and a bit of a joker
- he enjoys fighting unlike previous assassins who only fought because they had to to reach their goals
- he will have a sense of adventure, i mean pirates like to explore right? so there will be many adventures.

i can imagine his character, this is how i would like him to turn out anyway, it will be fresh but obviously it could be the complete opposite, we may get some idea on monday.

dxsxhxcx
03-02-2013, 01:26 AM
I think the devs are trying to make their new protagonist as likeable as possible. I mean, he has blonde hair, I bet my whole house he'll also have blue eyes (Haytham got his eyes from someone didn't he?).
I love how people who hate Connor say Edward will be better because he is Haytham's father which automatically means he'll be just like Haytham/Ezio. It'd be so funny if Edward turns out to be the same personality-wise like Connor XD, serious, brooding, etc. Edward and Connor do share some similarities; both assassins, ship captains. :P Maybe the bigger part of Connor's personality comes from Edward, not his father. I always found Connor more similar to Ziio, physically and emotionally.

I don't think I ever saw a pirate being all serious like Connor and Altair, he'll probably have his moments of seriousness but they'll certainly go down the easy route and make him similar to Haytham and Ezio

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 06:53 AM
There you go looking at the boxart thinking the main protagonist will look like that in game.

Connor is white on the boxart, not in game.
Ezio in Revelations just looks oldish and badass, looked like a monkey in game.
CG Altair had bigish lips, one model was desmond, another one in revelations didn't look like him. Ezios brotherhood boxart didnt look like him in game, it was Desmond.
Ezio's AC3 render didn't look like the boxart or CG either.

TL:DR - The boxart does not depict what the character will look like.

Not really, you can't definitely tell Connor's white in the box art. In it he seems darker than me and I'm not white.
Ezio, yes. He looks completely different in the Revelations box art.
Altair in box art looked almost as he did in the game, I just pulled out my box to confirm :D
Brotherhood and AC2 Ezio looked different than ingame

So I'd say its 50-50.

Legendz54
03-02-2013, 07:06 AM
I can imagine Edward being as Wise as Haytham and just a tad less quiet then Connor. Then again i can be entirely wrong.

shobhit7777777
03-02-2013, 07:09 AM
......and incredibly cliched

Charismatic, Badass pirate?

I for one would like to play as a *******....a vile, ruthless outlaw....y'know..like real pirates. All this romanticism associated with Pirates tires me...and I would like a historically accurate portrayal of pirates - mangy, scurvy ridden, leather skinned criminals.

I want to hate Edward...and for once have a protagonist you genuinely dislike NOT because of poor character development or writing...but because that character is a marvellous ***-hole.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 07:10 AM
I expect him to be a wise but violent man. A man of honour but also ruthless. Kinda like Altair in ACR. I don't expect him to much of a womanizer or humorous. The brooding type but not naive like Connor.

shobhit7777777
03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
I expect him to be a wise but violent man. A man of honour but also ruthless. Kinda like Altair in ACR. I don't expect him to much of a womanizer or humorous. The brooding type but not naive like Connor.

Basically just another anti-hero minus the charm

IDK Pirate.....but I'm really tired of such portrayals.

BUT if you do wanna go down the route...I suggest we clone Nathan Fillion's character in Firefly and then slap on a hood on him.

rileypoole1234
03-02-2013, 07:18 AM
I hope Edward is sort of crazy,. Like he could snap at any moment and he isn't afraid to do anything. Basically I want him to be more pirate like than Assassin like. It'd be a nice change.

I feel odd for saying this but since there's a pirate theme and I want him to be pirate like, I hope there's some moment where he kills a civilian and angers the other Assassins or something. I think that'd be cool.

I hope he's more Barbossa than Sparrow.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Basically just another anti-hero minus the charm

IDK Pirate.....but I'm really tired of such portrayals.

BUT if you do wanna go down the route...I suggest we clone Nathan Fillion's character in Firefly and then slap on a hood on him.

We haven't seen an Assassin anti-hero yet have we? :p Haytham came the closest..

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 07:23 AM
I hope Edward is sort of crazy,. Like he could snap at any moment and he isn't afraid to do anything. Basically I want him to be more pirate like than Assassin like. It'd be a nice change.

I feel odd for saying this but since there's a pirate theme and I want him to be pirate like, I hope there's some moment where he kills a civilian and angers the other Assassins or something. I think that'd be cool.

I hope he's more Barbossa than Sparrow.

My fanfic has exactly that sort of protagonist. The kind who may cut you in half if you look at him the wrong way :D /shamelessadvertising

Also, there is a moment where he kills an innocent civilian much to the ire of his colleagues. I swear I totally didn't read your mind :(

Radman500
03-02-2013, 07:32 AM
the tag line is "new rules" so maybe Edward is more radical with the creed then Altair, Ezio and Connor

NvmberFiveUA
03-02-2013, 07:57 AM
I just can't wait to hear the soundtrack. I hope it's just as epic as the Pirates of the Caribbean scores. Back on topic,I'm really in love with the pirate setting which I think will help the game sell better.

Farlander1991
03-02-2013, 08:06 AM
We haven't seen an Assassin anti-hero yet have we? :p Haytham came the closest..

An antihero is a protagonist who does not possess the moral attributes of a traditional hero. Both Altair and Ezio are antiheroes.

pirate1802
03-02-2013, 08:10 AM
An antihero is a protagonist who does not possess the moral attributes of a traditional hero. Both Altair and Ezio are antiheroes.

Altair I can understand, Ezio how so?

Farlander1991
03-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Altair I can understand, Ezio how so?

His main goal is of self-serving interest (revenge), not motivated by pure intentions, very reluctant. Not heroic qualities. I guess he become more heroic as time progresses, but so far Connor is the only Hero of the AC series.

MetalCreed
03-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I can definitely see why Ubisoft took the easy road, and made our protag a Haytham-Ezio mix.
He will most likely be very popular amongst the fans.

Connor really was a bad protagonist. He had very few likable qualities. Not everyone can be like Ezio, but I appreciate him being different..However, we cannot dismiss the fact that he was a bland character, and had very little development, and his relationship with other characters was painful..Interaction with the father, Achilles..Dude needed a love interest IMO..

I'm not very excited about the game, I have some big concerns about the franchise and the new game, but I'm keeping an eye out for story details..
Also, hopefully the movie sets the franchise in a new direction..

silvermercy
03-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Connor... had very little development, and his relationship with other characters was painful..Interaction with the father, Achilles..Dude needed a love interest IMO...
And that's exactly why, we, Connor fans, felt betrayed. Connor's story felt like a short prologue. It could have been told so much better, which is really not fair to the character himself. In ToKW it's improved but that came a bit too late...

It's back to easy male stereotypes now.

shobhit7777777
03-02-2013, 11:07 AM

Precisely

Haytham has already done the charming rogue

I vote for an A-hole Edward

Ayush_S92
03-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Let's not forget according to rumours, he is not a full fledged pirate just an "occasional pirate".

Legendz54
03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Let's not forget according to rumours, he is not a full fledged pirate just an "occasional pirate".

Yea I can't imagine him being too full on, probably more of a shadow among the decks.

hellomrdarcy
03-02-2013, 11:54 AM
And that's exactly why, we, Connor fans, felt betrayed. Connor's story felt like a short prologue. It could have been told so much better, which is really not fair to the character himself. In ToKW it's improved but that came a bit too late...

It's back to easy male stereotypes now.
^ this.
He still needs a sort of conclusion, in my opinion Connor's not "finished" yet. He still got a lot of potential to his story, we've only experienced the first bit of his life and there's just soooo much more to see.

UrDeviant1
03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Looking at the Box art i already get a rouge-like feeling from Edward. Partly because of his unconventional hood! First time we've seen an Assassin without a pointed hood?

pacmanate
03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Not really, you can't definitely tell Connor's white in the box art. In it he seems darker than me and I'm not white.
Ezio, yes. He looks completely different in the Revelations box art.
Altair in box art looked almost as he did in the game, I just pulled out my box to confirm :D
Brotherhood and AC2 Ezio looked different than ingame

So I'd say its 50-50.

Connors facial features are Caucasian, it is beyond obvious. Altair in box art did not look like he did in game because that was Desmond. So it is not 50 - 50, it is 100%.

Here are some comparisons. Notice he is brown. Also notice his nose, more flat and broad. Look at his lips, also larger.

http://constantinflux.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/connor-kenway.png

Now look at the box art. Clearly white, he is not brown, also Caucasian. Look at his nose, way more westernised, pointy. Lips are also not big.

http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/293017_S/assassins-creed-3-box-art-released.jpg

So yeah, pretty conclusive. As for Altair. Basically Desmonds face model, way younger than the boxart.

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs41/200H/f/2009/040/3/5/Assassn__s_Creed_Altair_by_Spirited13.jpg

Boxart depicts a different face altogether, boxart face has pointy nose and a broader chin.

http://gamersdigart.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/assassins-creed-box-art02.jpg

InfectedNation
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Connor really was a bad protagonist. He had very few likable qualities. Not everyone can be like Ezio, but I appreciate him being different..However, we cannot dismiss the fact that he was a bland character, and had very little development, and his relationship with other characters was painful..Interaction with the father, Achilles..Dude needed a love interest IMO..

No offence, but I am so glad you weren't on the ACIII development team.

DisbandedBox359
03-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I just can't wait to hear the soundtrack. I hope it's just as epic as the Pirates of the Caribbean scores. Back on topic,I'm really in love with the pirate setting which I think will help the game sell better.

as long as we've still got lorne balfe I'll be happy

Assassin_Banana
03-03-2013, 02:46 AM

Do you have any link of that?? I haven't seen that speech :(

Legendz54
03-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Maybe we will see that cinema Haytham was talking about in the first mission.