PDA

View Full Version : 3/5 Hint #2

ghmorello
03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Here's DLC hint #2 for next Tuesday: this group was discovered when a "make believe" band's guitarist saw them busking...

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/263402_488164784574536_2088714805_n.jpg

rcole_sooner
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
You beat me, but mine had content (fixed yours, BTW). LOL!

Never heard of Violent Femmes. I guess it is time to go YT'ing.

ghmorello
03-01-2013, 08:26 PM
You beat me, but mine had content. LOL!

Help me please.

exolstice
03-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Awesome song.

rcole_sooner
03-01-2013, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YdQBkxf4kU

bradiam
03-01-2013, 08:35 PM

What!?!?!?! Really? I bet you have, you just didn't realize it was them.

Funny thing is, I just learned this song on acoustic the other day, and am still working on getting it down. Guess I'll have to get this one. Such a fun, if simple, song to play.

thoman23
03-01-2013, 08:41 PM
My head just exploded. FANTASTIC! Not just this song (which seems to be Blister in the Sun, which I love), but for the fact that this may open the door to more Femmes songs in the future.

RavageX
03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Definitely NOT my cup of tea. Personally on a rocking level of 100, this sounds like a -30. But for those of you that like it, enjoy!

ghmorello
03-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Aren't Violent Femmes a one hit wonder band?

DeviantDragon
03-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Aren't Violent Femmes a one hit wonder band?

I'd say they have 3 other songs that were also popular to various degrees. Blister is definitely their biggest hit though.

Add It Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7y9yChV478

Kiss Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMn8UPmSTo

Gone Daddy Gone (Covered by Gnarls Barkley)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmM6SxoghMQ

LvlNinety9
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't say Violent Femmes are a one hit wonder group but they don't really have to much that I like. This song being one of the few I like.

Nematod180
03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Interesting, not really what I normally listen to but it sounds different so I might get it anyway.

dallasdave22
03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Really, BOC matched up with violent phlegm?

What is this game coming to? lol

RavageX
03-01-2013, 09:12 PM
I'd say they have 3 other songs that were also popular to various degrees. Blister is definitely their biggest hit though.

Add It Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7y9yChV478

Kiss Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLMn8UPmSTo

Gone Daddy Gone (Covered by Gnarls Barkley)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmM6SxoghMQ

Well I can say I'm glad it's not a pack.....;)

I'm joking btw, well....sorta. It's not like I'm buying DLC right now anyway, but like RB did it's nice to see that RS branches out musically.

thoman23
03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm getting the feeling you guys probably don't like Ween either, eh? Flaming Lips? Not sure why I group them all together, except maybe because they're all on my iPod.

If Violent Femmes can make it into the game, then maybe there's hope for A Tear for Eddie by Ween to make it some day. (this is not a DLC request rcole!)

Brick235
03-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Just as a side note, I think I heard this song was about flogging the dolphin. So, there's a plus! :rolleyes:

TonyFarkas
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
well this has turned out really random. oh it looks they are going to count this as an 80s pack

VTEC8400
03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm getting the feeling you guys probably don't like Ween either, eh? Flaming Lips? Not sure why I group them all together, except maybe because they're all on my iPod.

If Violent Femmes can make it into the game, then maybe there's hope for A Tear for Eddie by Ween to make it some day. (this is not a DLC request rcole!)

Ween would be awesome in Rocksmith! Been a fan of theirs for a long time.

Back on topic, I am stoked to see Violent Femmes added to the game. Their self titled debut album is great and listened to it all through college, great CD (cassette) for the car.

Would of preferred some of the other tracks to this one such as 'Prove My Love' or 'Add it up' but I can't complain. Has some great acoustic bass on it too that will be fun.

Ezios_Axe
03-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Nice choice. I am glad to see they aren't afraid of grabbing some stuff that's off the beaten path.

SeattleSauve
03-01-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm not really that interested in this song. The BoC song will have a lot more interesting guitar in it from my perspective, so I hope the third song is more along that line. I could see this being a 'fun yet easy' song though, so I think it's a fine choice for the platform.

majorerickson
03-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Just heard this on my iPod the other day and thought it would be fun to learn to play this. Hooray!

Black_Widow9
03-02-2013, 03:39 AM

If Violent Femmes can make it into the game, then maybe there's hope for A Tear for Eddie by Ween to make it some day.
3 Awesome bands! ;) I love Ween!

Gold_Jim
03-02-2013, 05:14 AM
I'm not really that interested in this song. The BoC song will have a lot more interesting guitar in it from my perspective, so I hope the third song is more along that line. I could see this being a 'fun yet easy' song though, so I think it's a fine choice for the platform.

Burning For You by BOC is a challenge. While the VF song is fun, it's also a riff you can stumble on and is completely given away in the hint. There's just not a lot going on musically. Again, I'm not cutting the tune, so fans, please don't think I am saying that VF stink. I'm only saying that this particular tune isn't really challenging, even on a relatively basic level.

SeattleSauve
03-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Burning For You by BOC is a challenge. While the VF song is fun, it's also a riff you can stumble on and is completely given away in the hint. There's just not a lot going on musically. Again, I'm not cutting the tune, so fans, please don't think I am saying that VF stink. I'm only saying that this particular tune isn't really challenging, even on a relatively basic level.

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to say - The reason I think it's a good song for the platform is because it will be very approachable for people who might be overwhelmed with the BoC song, or people who are looking for a fun yet simple song to relax to (heck, I have fun playing breaking the law and it's simple as heck) - it's a song that lots of people will be able to legitimately master and have fun with. I'm pretty pumped about the BoC song though :)

toiviservo
03-02-2013, 07:58 AM
2 great songs from early 80s so far... i have a good feeling i may love this whole week

ghmorello
03-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Why do I get the feeling that the third song will be Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison? If that's the case, then that will be one painful DLC pack.

Nematod180
03-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Sounds excellent to me! I have a bunch of challenging songs so an easy one fits me fine!

SeattleSauve
03-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Why do I get the feeling that the third song will be Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison? If that's the case, then that will be one painful DLC pack.

I'd be happy with every rose. It has a nice melodic solo, it's good to sing to, and the rest of the song translates very well to accoustic even though it's not that difficult. I'd probably rather a 3 pack from poison that had more of their rocking tunes though such as nothing but a good time, look what the cat dragged in, talk dirty to me (recall: "CC pick up that guitar and a talk to me!"). They aren't my favorite band or anything like that, but they have some very catchy tunes that would be fun to play.

CrazedRacer
03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I'd be happy with every rose. It has a nice melodic solo, it's good to sing to, and the rest of the song translates very well to accoustic even though it's not that difficult. I'd probably rather a 3 pack from poison that had more of their rocking tunes though such as nothing but a good time, look what the cat dragged in, talk dirty to me (recall: "CC pick up that guitar and a talk to me!"). They aren't my favorite band or anything like that, but they have some very catchy tunes that would be fun to play.

CC is great - live and on record. I'd pay anything asked for a pack of Poison, Bon Jovi or Def Leppard. Underrated groups that have stood the test of time. Oh yeah - if you don't get lucky when you play "Every Rose" for a girl on your guitar, you're doing something wrong. :)

ghmorello
03-02-2013, 11:01 PM
You guys do know what I meant by "painful" right?

rcole_sooner
03-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Let's leave it to people's imagination shall we.

Duggle-SD
03-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Give Me Novacain by Green Day could help ease the burning and blisters of the first two songs. Or if you actually like it then Hurts So Good by Mellencamp.

armoury_R1
03-04-2013, 04:54 AM

Neither had I. Then by some sheer coincidence, I've been catching up on How I Met Your Mother (only started watching recently so went back to the beginning), and in season 1, when Lily wants the prospective wedding band Marshall wants to hire to audition, "their song" is by VF.

CC is great - live and on record. I'd pay anything asked for a pack of Poison, Bon Jovi or Def Leppard. Underrated groups that have stood the test of time. Oh yeah - if you don't get lucky when you play "Every Rose" for a girl on your guitar, you're doing something wrong. :)

Gotta agree with Seattle that Every Rose would be a cool song, but anything by either of the other two bands would be legend-waitforit-dary!

(Sorry, been watching way too much HIMYM...)

toymachinesh
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcjDugTShZc

TonyFarkas
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
ready for the next hint :) I hope it is a good one

shihdo
03-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Just picked up a bass for the first time this week and gotta say that looked fun and sounded good, did the video go quiet for anybody else or is it the way it was played.

TonyFarkas
03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
because this is looking like a random 80's song pack my guess for the last song is
smithereens - a girl like you

Gold_Jim
03-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Agreed. The song is one of the best campfire tunes I've ever played. CC tended to overplay just about every solo he did, but Every Rose has a smooth, silky solo from that initial whole note bend to the legato and resolve back to the slowly bent notes. I also agree about Blister in the Sun. Also a fun, upbeat song to play on the acoustic. It's an easy song, but the rhythm can be very tricky, especially for beginners. I never listened closely enough to see if the time signature changes, but it does have a very different feel between the verses and chorus. Another good song for acoustic. I think the original was acoustic, right? Oh well, looking forward to a hint for #3. Didn't see one yet, but my first cup of coffee is not done.

Also, Toymachinest, thanks for the video. Very cool to see a guy play that bass part stripped down like that.

RSDAVE
03-04-2013, 03:14 PM
because this is looking like a random 80's song pack my guess for the last song is
smithereens - a girl like you

Tony, I LIKE YOU ! ;)

toymachinesh
03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
hopefully the 3rd song isn't a cultural failure

yeti5000
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Just picked up a bass for the first time this week and gotta say that looked fun and sounded good, did the video go quiet for anybody else or is it the way it was played.

It's the way it's played. There is a quiet breakdown in the song. Thanks for the video o.p. Part of me is sick as heck of the song since I've played it a hundred times covering it but the video is helping me get the little fills I never bothered to get down.

SeattleSauve
03-04-2013, 08:47 PM
hopefully the 3rd song isn't a cultural failure

I was wondering if this was a veiled hint or not.

rcole_sooner
03-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Apparently it was.

Ezios_Axe
03-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Who 3 starred the thread? People get so bent out of shape over DLC they don't like. When will people learn that not everyone can be pleased all of the time and the world doesn't revolve around their desire for Van Halen DLC? :(

bradiam
03-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Someone early on actually one starred it. I hit 5 stars just to bump it back up some.

BTW- The verse in this song is killing me. It looks like it shouldn't be too bad, and it's probably not, but I am having a helluva time getting it down.

This is very different from the acoustic version I was learning that was mostly G and Cadd9.