PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag. This is the only positive place.

RzaRecta357
02-28-2013, 04:08 PM
At least I think it's positive here. Everywhere else on the internet is basically against this game now saying it's definitely milking it now. It does kind of feel that way.

However I believe this one will be better than 3.

They probably took the ambient music complaints to heart. They better of at least. Now the engine is in place and can be refined a bit. More of just a paint job so the glitches and what not can be ironed out.

Obviously sailing worked for them so they're gonna use that again big time.

Conners gramps is an old world assassin so his story should be interesting and actually have the order in it. Maybe see how his son will become evil. This is like our AC2 Brotherhood!

Think they'll introduce a new protagonist in the future? I have this feeling like we may just be in the cloud for this one. Then again the series ALWAYS ends on a WTF moment. Here's hoping we get a female main character. Although I guess Eve's descendant could be a man too.

Quick question, I haven't gotten the new DLC for 3. I know Conner retains his memories or something from a review I read. Is there anything to do with the modern timeline in there?

Sushiglutton
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
After doing a bunch of googling and looking at pictures etc I'm really hyped for the setting, so much beauty. Hope there is some underwater swimming to search for treasures and so on. I love the idea of free roaming with the ship and then get ashore on islands to explore. Havanna's harbour (assuming that is the main city) is a mystical place I'd love to visit.

As for gameplay I hope they don't add anything completely new (besides underwater swimming). Instead I hope they scale back a bit and polish both the old systems and the ones introduced in AC3 instead. Naval will obv get extra attention and taken to the next level. The combat system was brand new for AC3 (no lock-on, more fluid etc) and I think they may nail it the second time. Tree climbing was another breakthrough that will be getting a new chance to shine if the pictures I've seen of these islands is any indication. I hope they have listened to our and many others gripes about the super restricted mission design and let us loose a little more this time.

As for the modern world I hope they give it a rest and let us use Desmond's uploaded memories this time. Then come back with something smart in the next game instead. The modern day in AC3 was a trainwreck, so they need some time to sort things out imo.

Overall I agree this game could easily be much better than 3 if they don't go crazy with the level of ambition again. Just relax and do things properly, instead of trying to simulate the entire universe :).

ace3001
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
My first impression is that they're trying to make a buck off how well the naval battles were received. It'll stay that way until some actual information comes on 4th. I sincerely hope Ubisoft will prove me wrong. I really enjoyed five of these games, and I want to enjoy the sixth as well.

I-Like-Pie45
02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
I like how everybody on the comments outside this site is whining about Connor and how they hope Edward will be like Ezio or Haytham.

Jexx21
02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
I think that this game is going to be released by Abstergo in-universe.

dxsxhxcx
02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Overall I agree this game could easily be much better than 3 if they don't go crazy with the level of ambition again. Just relax and do things properly, instead of trying to simulate the entire universe :).

I agree, I don't care about the size of the cities (while I think if we'll be able to free roam at the sea, this area in particular should be big) IMO they can be the same size the cities in AC1/2 were, I at least prefer that way...

CalgaryJay
02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
My first impression is that they're trying to make a buck off how well the naval battles were received.

I agree. But in this case, I'm totally on board with it. I'm just glad they listened to us.

pirate1802
02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I think that this game is going to be released by Abstergo in-universe.

That would suck. I hope there's a solid reason for this game and why we are visiting this character rather than a lolgameinthegame idea. They could work for side games like Liberation, but by now we can safely agree that this game is a big freaking title in the franchise, bigger than Brohood or Revelations. On level of AC2 and 3. You have a modern day story.. why not use it?

And I agree with Sushiglutton (what a name lol) AC3 suffered as a result of trying to do too much. Better lower your scope and make sure you iron out everything, than aim for too much and leave everything half-arsed.

UrDeviant1
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
After doing a bunch of googling and looking at pictures etc I'm really hyped for the setting, so much beauty. Hope there is some underwater swimming to search for treasures and so on. I love the idea of free roaming with the ship and then get ashore on islands to explore. Havanna's harbour (assuming that is the main city) is a mystical place I'd love to visit.

As for gameplay I hope they don't add anything completely new (besides underwater swimming). Instead I hope they scale back a bit and polish both the old systems and the ones introduced in AC3 instead. Naval will obv get extra attention and taken to the next level. The combat system was brand new for AC3 (no lock-on, more fluid etc) and I think they may nail it the second time. Tree climbing was another breakthrough that will be getting a new chance to shine if the pictures I've seen of these islands is any indication. I hope they have listened to our and many others gripes about the super restricted mission design and let us loose a little more this time.

As for the modern world I hope they give it a rest and let us use Desmond's uploaded memories this time. Then come back with something smart in the next game instead. The modern day in AC3 was a trainwreck, so they need some time to sort things out imo.

All of this.

MasterAssasin84
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Now i was by not impressed with Naval Combat and i would not miss it but i am interested to see Edward Kenways Story as i have just finished reading Assassins creed forsaken and i thought to myself would it be only a matter of time before we see a game that features Haythams father, i would have preffered other locations but Black flags concept is certainly interesting and i am particuarly interested in seeing some gameplay.

However i do recall ubi saying that the new Assassins Creed will be set in Brazil ? now beings Black Flags will take place in the caribbean we could see the story touch latin America so that maybe what ubi was reffering to , i could be wrong but i will reserve my judgement till the game is released.

dxsxhxcx
02-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Now i was by not impressed with Naval Combat and i would not miss it but i am interested to see Edward Kenways Story as i have just finished reading Assassins creed forsaken and i thought to myself would it be only a matter of time before we see a game that features Haythams father, i would have preffered other locations but Black flags concept is certainly interesting and i am particuarly interested in seeing some gameplay.

However i do recall ubi saying that the new Assassins Creed will be set in Brazil ? now beings Black Flags will take place in the caribbean we could see the story touch latin America so that maybe what ubi was reffering to , i could be wrong but i will reserve my judgement till the game is released.

what they meant is that a game could use Brazil as a setting someday, not that the next game would be set there.. ;)

AherasSTRG
02-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Well, I can clearly see a reason for that setting. In order for Ubisoft to back up yearly releases, each game needs to stand on the shoulders of the previous games in graphic and gameplay design. With the new engine the AC3 was built with, Ubisoft made some serious mistakes in both those sectors of the game. One thing that AC3 had and was well appreciated by the community was the naval battles. Therefore, it was easy for them to keep going in that direction with the next game.

kosmoscreed
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Sorry but there are reason to be critic with AC3 and the way Ubisoft it's handling the franchise, it's not all wine and roses.

My first impression is that they're trying to make a buck off how well the naval battles were received.

I don't think so, this game was in development for some years probably, it's not like they shoehorned the naval stuff because people liked it in AC3, remember that AC3 was released not long ago. My beat it's that they knew that the naval stuff was great and build a game around it from the early stages of development of AC3 or even earlier. We will know on monday for sure.

kuled2012
02-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Does anyone remember when, I think it was Steven Masters who said it, said that they 'were blown away' by the fans' reactions and thought 'they could make a game out of it' regarding Naval warefare. I just knew they'd do it I have very low expectations and will only be interested once I see gameplay but right now...I really doubt they're going to pull it off..Ah, the simple days and mechanics of AC1 are being ignored with every passing game. It's sad really.

rupok2
02-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Well people don't understand game development. A franchise like this doesn't only have one group of developers working on the game every year. It has multiple dev teams working together for different games. I bet the naval aspects of ac3 were made by the team who are doing black flags and then later added to ac3.

Perk89
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I'll go on record saying I think it'll likely be one of the best AC titles to date. It's a perfect storm for it to be. Take an AC3 that had a lot pf positives, take fan feedback on the negative and throw in a am extra year of dev time, along with low expecations from a whiny fanbase, not to mention a few other reasons and throw it all in a melting pot, and I expect that it's liable to produce a successful game.

Some people will still cry, because, that's what they do, but in the end their opinion likely won't matter once the game gets graded highly.

ace3001
02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
I agree. But in this case, I'm totally on board with it. I'm just glad they listened to us.
But the thing is, in listening to those who want a ship game, will they forget about the fans that actually liked AC since the beginning for what it was? Personally, I couldn't give a **** about naval combat (that's not what I stuck with AC all this time for), and want that to remain largely optional like it was with AC3. But with a pirate theme, it seems mandatory ship combat will be all over the place.

Em-Man
02-28-2013, 05:31 PM
I really doubt they're going to pull it off..Ah, the simple days and mechanics of AC1 are being ignored with every passing game. It's sad really.

I feel ya bro.
Very depressing.

Perk89
02-28-2013, 05:49 PM
lol AC1 was a horrible game, the mechanics even more so.

The series would never have survived had they continued to churn out crap like that and it was very well stated at the time. The only reason people gave it a chance after that because they saw the potential it had and saw what Ubi was striving for with it. It was then followed by AC2 which was in many peoples eyes the best in the series.

And now here we are.. With AC3 drawing many comparisons to the original AC in terms of potential and complaints, and a new AC game sitting on the horizon..

AjinkyaParuleka
02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Just don't let Ubisoft Kiev touch the game.

BK-110
02-28-2013, 06:12 PM
lol AC1 was a horrible game, the mechanics even more so.

I have to disagree. Sure, AC2 dealt with some with some of AC1's faults, but honestly I feel that it changed more that shouldn't have been changed than it improved.
AC2's combat was dreadful compared to AC1. In AC1, as long as you didn't just wait and counter all the time, you could actually play aggressively and had many ways of making openings in the enemy and taking them out quickly. You could play aggressively and counter only when actually being attacked. Now in AC2 it was near impossible, and certainly not very advantageous, to play aggressively. You pretty much had to wait and counter because there was no way of creating openings.

The story was also far more interesting if you ask me, fleshing out both sides of the conflict, much like in AC3. In AC2 the Assassin's were the good guys and the Templars were the bad guys. It was really stereotypical and uninteresting. I also found Alta´r to be a far more interesting, going from his overly proud and egoistic self to being a wise leader and philosopher. Meanwhile, Ezio was a stereotypical "perfect" hero. I did like the Ezio trilogy, but I found AC1 and AC3 to be superior in most aspects.

AllThatJuice
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
So far Ubisoft has delivered with each AC . Each title has been a stellar game (Revelations was slightly underwhelming, but still very fun) so I dont understand why people are complaining about a new AC. I think AC3 is an amazing game, so Im looking forward to what Black Flag has to offer.

SuperLoboMau 25
02-28-2013, 10:12 PM
I like how everybody on the comments outside this site is whining about Connor and how they hope Edward will be like Ezio or Haytham.

If it happens will be a ********. Connor is cool the way he is and a new assassin MUST has his own way.

In my opinion the problem about this game is that it probably will be pretty much out of initial serie's idea.

rileypoole1234
02-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm slowly becoming more excited for this than I was for AC3. The setting just interests me soooo much more than revolutionary America. Having been to the Caribbean multiple times, the location should be beautiful. I can just picture walking around a small village in the Bahamas. Maybe we'll go to Port Royale. I also can't wait to finally (hopefully) free roam on the high seas...

RinoTheBouncer
02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
What I hate is Naval battles PLUS the fear of making it an Abstergo game just like ACIII:Liberation which I have on my Vita and haven't completed yet cause I'm bored of it.

RzaRecta357
03-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Love the comments.

Where is it said that this has been worked on for years already?

AC1 is still my fav because of the time period and dialogue. Love 2 and brotherhood. Really enjoyed Revelations. 3 was a BIT disappointing to me, because I love the order and what not. Hoping this game features it quite a bit which it probably will. I mean, Haytham was born into it and learned from them at one point.

Still, I feel like they made AC3. Found out everyone found Haytham more interesting and enjoyed the naval aspect so they decided to make a new one fast with the same engine.

It's just a matter of writing a new story and repainting some stuff. Then they can spend the rest of the time refining some mechanics and adding a new one or two.

Either way I'm sure I'm going to love this protagonist even more.

rain89c
03-01-2013, 12:56 AM
The naval ships and pirates is a big turn off for me, however the setting not being ideal but at least way better than colonial America....
And pirates and assassins, these two words do not go together.... Sigh. I'm losing faith in the ac franchise.

Turul.
03-01-2013, 01:16 AM
sick and tired of people insulting and criticizing a game that was announced TODAY. they know nothing of it yet they already claim it sucks or is a terrible idea.

they continue to support the notion that yearly releases have detracted from the game qualities, yet ALL OF THE AC GAMES ARE **** GOOD GAMES.

AC=revolutionary at the time
AC2=A fantastic evoltuion and unexpected result
ACB= a incredibly huge and polished world
ACR= an interesting exploration of the franchise
AC3= a massive undertaking that created a new engine and completely started from scratch
AC4 BF= who really knows?

the pillars of the franchise are story, stealth, combat, and navigation, and Im sure AC4 BF will incorporate those things.

everyone needs to chill the **** out and give it a chance.