PDA

View Full Version : Tyranny of King Washington: Village Scene *SPOILERS*

Klagermeister
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
This thread is not so much discussion as it is compliment to Ubisoft.

I just have to say, HUGE KUDOS to the story mission wherein you fight bluecoats in an attempt to save your village.

For those who don't remember: The scene that occurs before you set out to drink the Willow tea, where the patriots have attacked and are destroying the village, but Connor and Ziio stay behind to fend off the bluecoats, allowing their fellow villagers to escape...
The music got more intense, the rain and thunder got heavier, the enemies got more aggressive, the HUD disappeared, and you REALLY FELT like you were fighting a losing battle.
...But you just kept fighting. And you just kept losing. And that did nothing but strengthen your resolve.

For me, this is an excellent example of storytelling in gameplay.
I'm going to call on Egoraptor's explanation in "Sequelitis: Megaman vs. Megaman X" video.
The writers could very easily have made this part a cutscene, showing Connor fighting and feeling utterly hopeless in the battle against the invaders.
But they didn't. You didn't need a video or dialogue to tell you that this situation was hopeless, because the feeling occurs directly to you.
And that gave you one last boost of adrenaline in the battle against Washington shortly after.
A connection that you got with Connor during that battle is something relevant to the game's story.

Connor feels helpless, yet resolved in his battle against Washington as a result of this battle for his village, and because of the scene you suffered through in an attempt to save your fellow villagers, you personally understand the EXACT FEELINGS that Connor is feeling. Shame. Loss. Anger. Rage. Out for vengeance.
Not to mention those who played through the AC3 story felt that since you had your mother back and helping you for several missions, perhaps if you fought hard enough you could do something to save her, and losing her again was even more devastating...

I know this post was rambly, but ****! This scene was amazing!
AC3 is one of the few games that really makes me feel the emotions it intended you to feel. It has made me cry, yell, cheer, and just sit mouth agape...

I swear, whoever wrote the AC3 story deserves a raise. They're doing the most excellent work they possibly could. RESPECT.

UrDeviant1
02-28-2013, 10:40 AM
You picked out probably the best fight sequence in the whole of AC. Agree with everything you said. And in case you haven't already, add this to your favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2Eu6IpDr0rc&list =FLg4jFXtWHo_TaYI28-MVhnQ ;)

Assassin_M
02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
I had goosebumps during the whole fight..

I replay the entire DLC just for this scene..

pirate1802
02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
I replay the entire DLC just for this scene..

I did the same! Yeah my favourite fighting scene of the trilogy too. That soundtrack, dat feeling as you see yourself totally swarmed by bluecoats, when you realize you can't win this war but you still decide to fight on like a badass. The amazing thing is, the devs managed to evoke these feelings in the players without resorting to any cutscenes. Strictly gameplay.

KUDOS TO THE DEVS!

Locopells
02-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I gotta go with all of that.

Aphex_Tim
02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
I loved it as well.
In terms of gameplay this is what the battle of Bunker Hill should have been like imo.
Just fighting waves and waves of enemies on a field while everyone around you is fighting each other as well.
really felt like i was taking place in a battle!

pacmanate
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
The DLC is better than the actual game.

UncappedWheel82
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I just wish they had taken more cues like that. AC3's story themes were well done, but (to take a word from the Sequelitis vid to mentioned) its gameplay "conveyance" was horrible.

WalSwJan
02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
That scene was one of the best things I have ever experienced in a game.

FirestarLuva
03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
One of the best scenes ever! :D

SixKeys
03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Weird, this scene did absolutely nothing for me in the game yet I see so many people praising it. I honestly found it kind of annoying having to fight a hundred soldiers simultaneously. Especially since I didn't keep losing, that would have actually added drama to the situation. Because the assassins have been unstoppable tanks since ACB, I just plowed my way through the enemies as per usual and wondered how long until the next cut scene would occur.

VitaminsXYZ
03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Weird, this scene did absolutely nothing for me in the game yet I see so many people praising it. I honestly found it kind of annoying having to fight a hundred soldiers simultaneously. Especially since I didn't keep losing, that would have actually added drama to the situation. Because the assassins have been unstoppable tanks since ACB, I just plowed my way through the enemies as per usual and wondered how long until the next cut scene would occur.

Meh, I loved it. To each his own I suppose.

Also, have you seen the new Adrian Hough podcast? Your icon is relevant now. XD

montagemik
03-02-2013, 03:47 AM

I Agree with you , nothing over dramatic or difficult about it , maybe my DLC was faulty.
And can honestly say i don't get Goosebumps or overly excited playing any Game.

Assasseffect
03-02-2013, 10:38 PM
The only legitimate complaint I heard for AC3 was that the fights were too small. The engine is designed to have 2,000 NPCs on screen at one time, yet the maximum you fight is 10. That level, however, just goes "Here's 50 guys. Do your thing."