PDA

View Full Version : Underwate Parkour? (posible AC:BF plot spoilers)

Perk89
02-27-2013, 08:04 PM
So last night when three or four of us were discussing the game and one half of you were crying about a game you know nothing about and the other half were crying about people crying, somebody came across this piece of information from the wiki page for "The Golden Age Of Piracy:"

In 1715, pirates launched a major raid on Spanish divers trying to recover gold from a sunken treasure galleon near Florida. The nucleus of the pirate force was a group of English ex-privateers, all of whom would soon be enshrined in infamy: Henry Jennings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Jennings), Charles Vane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Vane), Samuel Bellamy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Bellamy), and Edward England (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_England). The attack was successful, but contrary to their expectations, the governor of Jamaica refused to allow Jennings and their cohorts to spend their loot on his island. With Kingston and the declining Port Royal closed to them, Jennings and his comrades founded a new pirate base at Nassau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau,_Bahamas), on the island of New Providence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Providence) in the Bahamas, which had been abandoned during the war. Until the arrival of governor Woodes Rogers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodes_Rogers) three years later, Nassau would be home for these pirates and their many recruits.

Some of you are awfully confused right now. You've spent this whole time crying that you were gonna have to do all your parkouring on a boat while you free roamed empty water across the Mediterranean, and here you are being forced to accept that that clearly isn't what the game is going to be about, because obviously, after reading that excerpt, you can certainly see the Assassin and Templar roles played by both sides and how it makes for a true blue Assassin story.

We can confirm that at least a portion of the game will take place in 1715 (Haytham was born in England in 1725, so, if we are indeed playing as his father, that puts the cap on how much time this game will span) by looking at this map which was leaked yesterday:

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/articles/1/5/5/9/8/0/7/136195573155.jpg

Take notice of the Assassin insignias, most notably the one in Nassu right where the pirates set up base and began recruiting. All this knowledge begs a bunch of questions, such as:

-What are the Spanish Templars looking for with that treasure?
-What leads the Assassin pirates into a quest to stop them?
- Will we too be diving underwater to get it before them?
-How does what's in that chest connect to stopping Juno?
-If we're indeed playing as Edward, we are playing as Desmond's ancestor-what does this mean? Are we seeing these memories via the Cloud? Will we playing this game through a Templar's modern day eyes? (I certainly hope not, because it means there will be more Templar-hugging and I am SO tired of Templar-hugging. Let's get this Juno thing over with so we can get back to bringing the Assassins back from the brink of extinction in the modern age.)
-What does this mean in terms of Abstergo making the Animus public in regards to their next plot, and how do the Assassins set out to stop it?
-By traveling back in time a short ways, who might see that we're familiar with? (I'm hoping for John De La Tour)
-Will Eve play into any of this?
- Among many more.

There's much to speculate on, and I'll admit this thread is more of a veiled attempt to get some actual discussion on the game going rather than continue hearing 7-post twelve year olds continue to go "AWWWW BUT I WANTED TO BE L33T NINJA IN A TIME PERIOD I LITERALLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!! I LOVE HISTORY SO MUCH AND IM SO DEVASTATED NO HISTORY EVER HAPPENED IN THE CARIBBEAN I MEAN THATS THE ONLY REASON MY SUGAR FUELED ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER PLAGUED MIND PLAYS THESE GAMES!! TO LEARN!!"

But I digress.

Your thoughts, ladies and gents?

UrDeviant1
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
All this information and you decide to name the thread "Underwater Parkour"? Lol

Perk89
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah I'm trying to change it. Well, not change it, but fix my poor spelling in the title, and can't seem to figure out how to do so.

pacmanate
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
1-What are the Spanish Templars looking for with that treasure?
2-What leads the Assassin pirates into a quest to stop them?
3- Will we too be diving underwater to get it before them?
4-How does what's in that chest connect to stopping Juno?
5-If we're indeed playing as Edward, we are playing as Desmond's ancestor-what does this mean? Are we seeing these memories via the Cloud? Will we playing this game through a Templar's modern day eyes? (I certainly hope not, because it means there will be more Templar-hugging and I am SO tired of Templar-hugging. Let's get this Juno thing over with so we can get back to bringing the Assassins back from the brink of extinction in the modern age.)
6-What does this mean in terms of Abstergo making the Animus public in regards to their next plot, and how do the Assassins set out to stop it?
7-By traveling back in time a short ways, who might see that we're familiar with? (I'm hoping for John De La Tour)
8- Among many more.

1 - Maybe some loot or an Assassin something or another
2 - Because the Assassins want it
3 - Maybe, it was in Liberation so they should bring that feature to consoles
4 - The thing in the chest doesnt have to have anything to do with Juno
5 - Just because he is Desmonds ancestor doesnt mean he is no one elses.
6 - Not sure
7 - No idea
8 - Not a question

TorQue1988
02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Well i would love to see underwater gameplay because it would at least be something new. About the assassin symbols on the map it's very likely they are the new "tombs", but if you read the messages below them there won't be any underwater searching for them because the treasures are on land: "Within a shipwreck on the beach","Close to the shore among rocks", "Abandoned on the beach".
Also look at the symbols around the major cities (seahorse at Matanzas, seashells at Cayman Islands and Portillo and a crab at Kingston. I wonder if they serve any purpose or just signify the town's "flag" (like in previous games where we had a symbol for each city). There are other symbols as well at Juventud Island and Cape Bonavista and some routes on the map that are very reminiscent of the Privateer missions from AC3.

pirate1802
02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Wasn't there a question regarding underwater gameplay in that survey Ubisoft put out?

TorQue1988
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Wasn't there a question regarding underwater gameplay in that survey Ubisoft put out?
Yes there was.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/29/assassins-creed-3-survey-pops-the-question-of-co-op-in-series/

pacmanate
02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Underwater gameplay would just be swimming. How is this amazing?

TorQue1988
02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
More freedom? More exploration and treasure hunting? Great underwater vistas? Accessing areas unavailable otherwise? New and unique gameplay mechanics?
So i guess you won't be playing GTA 5 either, because a big feature of the game will be underwater exploration...

Perk89
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Yes there was.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/29/assassins-creed-3-survey-pops-the-question-of-co-op-in-series/

Play as a Templar.... eehk kill me now.

Ubi needs to just comes to grips that moral neutrality isn't the main selling point story wise in this series.... it's the war. The grey morals just are a good secondary thing. Time was it used to feel like a war. Now it just feels like two philosophically different group whose paths occasionally cross en route to their goals.

The Assassins are on the brink of destruction in the present day Ubi. Run with that. Quit putting so much emphasis on showing us how friendly Templars can be. The "misunderstood" villian is such a tired cliche.

TheHumanTowel
02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't be happy with under-water gameplay beyond one set piece or so. It's just too divergent from AC's core gameplay. For AC4 I'm hoping for a return to a focus on assassinations and less linear level design. I feel the same way about it as I did about Naval in AC3, that it would be a nice mechanic but it just doesn't really fit in an AC game. Could someone explain also how underwater gameplay could even be plausible outside the modern day segments? I mean we can't hold our breath forever.

Soulid_Snake
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Underwater assassinations!

Perk89
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Alright seriously time to change the title. This isn't a thread about underwater gameplay (which, btw, is ironic to see the same people who complain about the game becoming "stale" complain about adding different elements to the gameplay)

UrDeviant1
02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
So, how about that underwater gameplay? how do you think the physics would work? ;)

TheHumanTowel
02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Alright seriously time to change the title. This isn't a thread about underwater gameplay (which, btw, is ironic to see the same people who complain about the game becoming "stale" complain about adding different elements to the gameplay)
Adding frivolous out-of-place mechanics (Den Defense, Naval, etc) while not improving on level design and core mechanics does not make the games any less stale.

Sushiglutton
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
More freedom? More exploration and treasure hunting? Great underwater vistas? Accessing areas unavailable otherwise? New and unique gameplay mechanics?
So i guess you won't be playing GTA 5 either, because a big feature of the game will be underwater exploration...

I agree with this. I think underwater swimming is a great addition as it gives new ways to explore the world and discover secrets/infiltrate forts etc. I've wanted underwater swimming forever. I think it's an addition that will work nicely with all the other systems, compared to something like say den-defense which was more of a standalone thing that didn't make a lot of sense.

Perk89
02-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Adding frivolous out-of-place mechanics (Den Defense, Naval, etc) while not improving on level design and core mechanics does not make the games any less stale.

There's nothing out of place about them. The series isn't, and shouldn't be, about some guy who walks into marketplaces and kills people in broad daylight. It has more elements to it than that. Den defense was a good idea poorly implemented and naval combat was a success and enjoyed by the majority.

TheHumanTowel
02-27-2013, 09:37 PM
There's nothing out of place about them. The series isn't, and shouldn't be, about some guy who walks into marketplaces and kills people in broad daylight. It has more elements to it than that. Den defense was a good idea poorly implemented and naval combat was a success and enjoyed by the majority.
Well I disagree. The series is called Assassin's Creed but it's been a while since being an Assassin felt like a priority.