PDA

View Full Version : Advance Combat.

UrDeviant1
02-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Right now I have 4 weapons/tools assigned to quick-slots that i use during combat to chain together kills. I can easily take out 10+ guards within seconds because I'm using the optimal set-up/strategy for combat. At base level the combat is very easy - you stand there waiting for the guy to attack, and you counter. However, I think the devs have tried to make the combat deeper for more core gamers but the learning curve is still fairly low. Optimal set-up at the moment is - 'Double Duck Foot Pistols', 'Rope Darts', 'Tomahawk' and 'Bow'. I say these are "optimal" because they are the 4 weapons/tools i can use to chain together kills without needing to 'counter'. I tend to always use the Tomahawk as my primary weapon because it's fast when initiating a kill-chain, whereas the attack speed on the 'Hidden Blades' is very slow. You could also use a Sword.

Sometimes you'll find yourself in a position where you won't be able to perform a double-kill using the guns or rope dart, but this is where 'break defence' (BD) is most useful. To pull off these kills all you need is 1 guard each side of you, or in-front & behind you. Using break defence you can always ensure your, or your enemies position in the fight. You can always place yourself in between 2 guards. So lets say you have 2 enemies in front of you, one behind the other - you drag the first enemy behind you using 'BD', now you are between the 2, you quickly equip your Rope Dart and then tap 'Y' (tool button). There you have manipulated the fight as well as performed an awesome looking kill. There's no reason why you can't finish 90% of fights with a double-kill.

A couple of improvements while still being casual-friendly
I love AC3's combat, but while it's deep enough for the casual gamer, i feel like for some of us here it's still restrictive. The 4 weapons i mentioned above are the only 4 that can be used during a kill-chain - WHY? I can't switch between main weapons to carry on a kill-chain - WHY? I'd like to be able to kill a couple of guards with my Tomahawk and then quickly switch to my Hidden Blades to carry on the chain, but the swap time is too slow and the kill-chain window closes. Here is what i propose to make combat all-round more challenging/fun for the core gamer, while having it still remain accessible to casuals:

1. Allow for 8 quick-slots instead of only 4.
2. Allow all main weapons to be used during kill-chains.
3. Have a NG+ where the number of guards on you during a fight is drastically increased.
4. Not all tools need to be used for killing.

Right now i'm restricted to 4 quick-slots - WHY? I think we should be able to assign a weapon and a tool to each quick-slot. Tap once for Weapon, and twice for Tool. That's 8 pieces of equipment available to us during a fight. If you did this and also allowed for the use of all main weapons to carry on a kill-chain, that would make combat so much more fun, rewarding and challenging. There, we have 8 different ways to kill during a kill-chain. Or they don't all have to be ways to kill. How about a tool that simply allowed us to maneuver enemies, building upon what 'break defence does. More of a 'strategic' tool that made us question whether or not we are in the optimal position to take out guards most efficiently. Placing more importance on where you are positioned during a fight would surely make for more skilled/challenging combat?

Ok I'm rambling. I just want to see the guys at Ubisoft take AC3's combat to it's fullest potential, keep it casual friendly but give the skilled players more to think about PLEASE. ;)

Sushiglutton
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
I think the entire idea of selecting a gadget is a bit antiquated. Standard now (God Of War, Arkham City etc) is to have quickfire by combining the triggers with the facebuttons. This is much smoother than a pre-select system can ever be as it only requires one button tap instead of two.

Or they don't all have to be ways to kill. How about a tool that simply allowed us to maneuver enemies, building upon what 'break defence does. More of a 'strategic' tool that made us question whether or not we are in the optimal position to take out guards most efficiently. Placing more importance on where you are positioned during a fight would surely make for more skilled/challenging combat?

This is pure gold :)! Giving the tools more distinct tactical uses and overall have more ways to manipulate opponents would be awesome!

UrDeviant1
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
I think the entire idea of selecting a gadget is a bit antiquated. Standard now (God Of War, Arkham City etc) is to have quickfire by combining the triggers with the facebuttons. This is much smoother than a pre-select system can ever be as it only requires one button tap instead of two.

It can be completely optional though, or randomised. The point really is that i don't think 4 quick-slots is enough. The combining of triggers/facebuttons could also work like you said.

This is pure gold :)! Giving the tools more distinct tactical uses and overall have more ways to manipulate opponents would be awesome!

edit: one day i'll learn how to quote properly >_>