PDA

View Full Version : Free Running

roostersrule2
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Is there any word if the free running is as fleshed out as the Assassins Creed Series' (I don't mean climbing up the sides of buildings) or can you just jump over waist high objects and climb the odd building here and there?

Sushiglutton
02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think anyone knows yet. My guess, based on the gameplay footage shown so far, is that it will be more limited than AC and mostly be about vaulting over waist high objects, climbing ladders and fences etc. Have you played Sleeping Dogs? I think the freerunning looks a lot more similar to that game than Assassin's Creed.

benosborne81
02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't think anyone knows yet. My guess, based on the gameplay footage shown so far, is that it will be more limited than AC and mostly be about vaulting over waist high objects, climbing ladders and fences etc. Have you played Sleeping Dogs? I think the freerunning looks a lot more similar to that game than Assassin's Creed.
Yeah it is similar to Sleeping Dogs but judging by the gameplay I believe Aiden will be able to reach higher buildings unlike Wei.

roostersrule2
02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't think anyone knows yet. My guess, based on the gameplay footage shown so far, is that it will be more limited than AC and mostly be about vaulting over waist high objects, climbing ladders and fences etc. Have you played Sleeping Dogs? I think the freerunning looks a lot more similar to that game than Assassin's Creed.Yea I was thinking it would be similar to Sleeping Dogs but a lot smoother. Also In SD free running on buildings was harder to find and only really happened in missions.

Sushiglutton
02-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah it is similar to Sleeping Dogs but judging by the gameplay I believe Aiden will be able to reach higher buildings unlike Wei.

Maybe, I wonder if we will be able to go all the way to the top though. Not really sure what that would add either. I mean this game has a more serious tone than Saints Row, or even GTA. I'm not sure wingsuits and stuff like that would really fit.

Yea I was thinking it would be similar to Sleeping Dogs but a lot smoother. Also In SD free running on buildings was harder to find and only really happened in missions.

It does look higher quality than Sleeping Dogs (which is a game I thought was overall awesome btw), I was mostly thinking of the style of having specific platforming objects they use in SD, rather than the climb everything approach that is in AC. The final part of the latest gameplay demo also reminded me of sleepingdogs in that there was a route between the buildings clearly designed for getting to the rooftops so to speak. You makr a good point that these routes will probably be more common in WD than in SD and easier to find when you need them.

I think more limited freerunning is a great priority btw. Climbing skyscrapers in a modern city would be super tedious. Also there needs to be something to do up there, which just doesn't make any sense (rooftop guards in modern Chicago are pretty uncommon :rolleyes:). The little I have seen seems like a good balance.

roostersrule2
02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Maybe, I wonder if we will be able to go all the way to the top though. Not really sure what that would add either. I mean this game has a more serious tone than Saints Row, or even GTA. I'm not sure wingsuits and stuff like that would really fit.

It does look higher quality than Sleeping Dogs (which is a game I thought was overall awesome btw), I was mostly thinking of the style of having specific platforming objects they use in SD, rather than the climb everything approach that is in AC. The final part of the latest gameplay demo also reminded me of sleepingdogs in that there was a route between the buildings clearly designed for getting to the rooftops so to speak. You makr a good point that these routes will probably be more common in WD than in SD and easier to find when you need them.

I think more limited freerunning is a great priority btw. Climbing skyscrapers in a modern city would be super tedious. Also there needs to be something to do up there, which just doesn't make any sense (rooftop guards in modern Chicago are pretty uncommon :rolleyes:). The little I have seen seems like a good balance.Yea you're probably right about the SD approach (which I too agree is an awesome game, the story was actually really well done) and yea climbing up to the top of the tallest building would really have no point in a game like this.

Dymez_510
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
The running looks all too similar to Assassin's Creed, to me. Of course I doubt he'll be swinging through poles in the street like Connor swings from trees and what not, but in a modern day/futuristic Chicago, I wouldn't expect that to be much of an option. I think there will be some running up buildings, however. Just from how he climbed this gate:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2uzdthj.gif

He was so far away from the gate to trigger that animation that I'm thinking it was part of a chain. But that's just me.

Bastiaen
03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm hoping for something like AC, but with more limited climbing.

dogziler
03-09-2013, 12:00 AM
there needs to be more free running than in sleeping dogs, or more climbable things, like in sleeping dogs i felt that what was needed was the ability to cling to ledges/crawl up pipes. hopefully you can mirrors edge type some of that parkour, if that makes sense. like grabbing onto pipes, or the such like.

poptartz20
03-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah... This game for freerunning would have to be toned down immensely... I feel like it would have more of a light parkour maybe some wall scaling but nothing over the top like climbing the empire state building with just your two hand alone. haha. That would indeed be very AC.

Bastiaen
03-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah... This game for freerunning would have to be toned down immensely... I feel like it would have more of a light parkour maybe some wall scaling but nothing over the top like climbing the empire state building with just your two hand alone. haha. That would indeed be very AC.

That would indeed be ridiculous. Even AC didn't dare do that.