PDA

View Full Version : This... Is a very bad game.

TesteEfetuado
02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
This... Is a very bad game.

The Assassin's Creed franchise has been losing much of its challenge since the second game. Now, in the series' fifth game, everything is so easy it feels like a joke. Enemies can be instantly killed by counter attacks which may be followed by single-hit kills on almost all nearby enemies; to make it even worse, now a big red icon flashes over an enemy when he's about to attack, allowing for perfect counters and thus making combat mostly a quick time event.

Moving around has been made easier, too - now running is under a "safe mode", in which the playable character will automatically run and leap through the available path, avoiding jumps that would make him fall. Platforming sequences are, thus, a joke - just hold the running key and forward, and the character will automatically progress to the next area.

I understand this change - it's a way to deal with the lack of precise controls which has always plagued the Assassin's Creed franchise. It's the wrong way to deal with it, too - instead of giving better controls, removing the need for them is basically throwing the baby with the water. Somewhat ironically, controls for everything else were actually made worse. The intriguing interface mirroring each key to a specific body part has been completely removed, and replaced by having two keys doing most actions, often overlapping them. Dual assassinations are even less precise now, and jumping, in the few circumstances it's actually needed, is the clumsiest it has ever been.

Even the basics of the Assasin's Creed franchise have been made worse. Viewing points don't reveal the entire map around them anymore, and many of them - notably, all the ones involving climbing a tree - are exactly the same. Navigating above the ground has been made worse by having trees following very specific paths, so they are of very limited utility, and having buildings far from each other so jumping through them is often not doable. Side missions have been reduced to literally fedex quests or just killing a random, unnamed enemy standing around - no story, no special circumstance to each killing, nothing. Even voice acting, which had always been brilliant in the franchise, takes a hit as the main character speaks with a monotone voice that remains as the voice of a teenager while he grows older in the game.

The setting is also lacking in comparison to the other games. The first Assassin's Creed was somewhat revolutionary by, despite having the September 11 attacks still fresh in memory, portraying the protagonist as a follower of Islam fighting against a mostly Western organization, and doing so with respect. While Ubisoft avoided the trap of denigrating a different culture, in Assassin's Creed 3 they fall for the opposite sin, by overstating the virtues of the American culture. Having one of the first interactive conversations in the game being a very long dialogue about how Benjamin Franklin was a very successful womanizer was only the first sign of the hubris America is portrayed with.

To make things worse, while graphic quality is huge - the sea in the first sequences was incredibly beautiful, perfectly realistic - the world is actually ugly. Boston is dominated by the same pastel colors everywhere, in a sharp contrast to Veneza in AC2. The Frontier looks the same in all its areas. NPCs and enemies have no variation.

Compounding the issue, the user interface on the PC is horrible, clearly being a bad console port. The map requires the use of two different cursors, instead of simply allowing us to click on map markers, and more than once simply got stuck on the maximum zoom mode. Menus are horrible: they have been split on a "tab" menu and a "esc" menu for no reason, often do not respond to mouse clicks, sometimes fail to work with the mouse wheel, are a pain to close, and so on and so on. Some of the interfaces are so bad, and so badly optimized for the PC, that not only they sometimes bug but also ruin entire additions to the game, such as the crafting system.

This is a recurrent issue within the game: there have been many new additions to gameplay... And nearly all of them are bad. Most consist of doing menial activities over and over, like hunting or selling goods through convoys; those things may artificially inflate the longevity of the game but they feel like shores, not like something fun. The only fun addition are the naval missions, but even those become repetitive very soon. And despite those additions, there are very few tutorials explaining how they work in game. So my wagon is under attack and I need to go defend it? Sure, but where is it? Why doesnít the game explain that those convoys are only visible within one map? Why isnít there any notification about how to level artisans?

And, of course, a recurrent issue within the franchise is the lack of optimization for computers. Previous Assassinís Creed games would bug for players who had multi-core computers, crashing randomly unless the game was told to only use a few cores. Now, Assassinís Creed 3 bugs not only with CrossFire, requiring players to shut it off, but has also been suffering bugs that prevent players from playing it at all. As always, not only Ubisoft has no reply, but all the topics about this in the official forum are being shut down.

I have read someone advising other players to clear all activities in the map when they become available, since waiting to do all of the same activity at once would kill someone due to boredom. I agree - simply said, there is nothing fun in this game. Stealth is completely meaningless, while it should have been the focus of the franchise. Combat and movement have been made so easy they are jokes now. Side missions have been replaced by empty grind. The setting is ugly, as well as bland. The user interface is horrible. I honestly could not make myself to play this game beyond sequence 7... And watching the end, it's a massive disappointment. Like everything else in the game.

I'm done with the Assassin's Creed franchise for now.This... Is a very bad game.

The Assassin's Creed franchise has been losing much of its challenge since the second game. Now, in the series' fifth game, everything is so easy it feels like a joke. Enemies can be instantly killed by counter attacks which may be followed by single-hit kills on almost all nearby enemies; to make it even worse, now a big red icon flashes over an enemy when he's about to attack, allowing for perfect counters and thus making combat mostly a quick time event.

Moving around has been made easier, too - now running is under a "safe mode", in which the playable character will automatically run and leap through the available path, avoiding jumps that would make him fall. Platforming sequences are, thus, a joke - just hold the running key and forward, and the character will automatically progress to the next area.

I understand this change - it's a way to deal with the lack of precise controls which has always plagued the Assassin's Creed franchise. It's the wrong way to deal with it, too - instead of giving better controls, removing the need for them is basically throwing the baby with the water. Somewhat ironically, controls for everything else were actually made worse. The intriguing interface mirroring each key to a specific body part has been completely removed, and replaced by having two keys doing most actions, often overlapping them. Dual assassinations are even less precise now, and jumping, in the few circumstances it's actually needed, is the clumsiest it has ever been.

Even the basics of the Assasin's Creed franchise have been made worse. Viewing points don't reveal the entire map around them anymore, and many of them - notably, all the ones involving climbing a tree - are exactly the same. Navigating above the ground has been made worse by having trees following very specific paths, so they are of very limited utility, and having buildings far from each other so jumping through them is often not doable. Side missions have been reduced to literally fedex quests or just killing a random, unnamed enemy standing around - no story, no special circumstance to each killing, nothing. Even voice acting, which had always been brilliant in the franchise, takes a hit as the main character speaks with a monotone voice that remains as the voice of a teenager while he grows older in the game.

The setting is also lacking in comparison to the other games. The first Assassin's Creed was somewhat revolutionary by, despite having the September 11 attacks still fresh in memory, portraying the protagonist as a follower of Islam fighting against a mostly Western organization, and doing so with respect. While Ubisoft avoided the trap of denigrating a different culture, in Assassin's Creed 3 they fall for the opposite sin, by overstating the virtues of the American culture. Having one of the first interactive conversations in the game being a very long dialogue about how Benjamin Franklin was a very successful womanizer was only the first sign of the hubris America is portrayed with.

To make things worse, while graphic quality is huge - the sea in the first sequences was incredibly beautiful, perfectly realistic - the world is actually ugly. Boston is dominated by the same pastel colors everywhere, in a sharp contrast to Veneza in AC2. The Frontier looks the same in all its areas. NPCs and enemies have no variation.

Compounding the issue, the user interface on the PC is horrible, clearly being a bad console port. The map requires the use of two different cursors, instead of simply allowing us to click on map markers, and more than once simply got stuck on the maximum zoom mode. Menus are horrible: they have been split on a "tab" menu and a "esc" menu for no reason, often do not respond to mouse clicks, sometimes fail to work with the mouse wheel, are a pain to close, and so on and so on. Some of the interfaces are so bad, and so badly optimized for the PC, that not only they sometimes bug but also ruin entire additions to the game, such as the crafting system.

This is a recurrent issue within the game: there have been many new additions to gameplay... And nearly all of them are bad. Most consist of doing menial activities over and over, like hunting or selling goods through convoys; those things may artificially inflate the longevity of the game but they feel like shores, not like something fun. The only fun addition are the naval missions, but even those become repetitive very soon. And despite those additions, there are very few tutorials explaining how they work in game. So my wagon is under attack and I need to go defend it? Sure, but where is it? Why doesnít the game explain that those convoys are only visible within one map? Why isnít there any notification about how to level artisans?

And, of course, a recurrent issue within the franchise is the lack of optimization for computers. Previous Assassinís Creed games would bug for players who had multi-core computers, crashing randomly unless the game was told to only use a few cores. Now, Assassinís Creed 3 bugs not only with CrossFire, requiring players to shut it off, but has also been suffering bugs that prevent players from playing it at all. As always, not only Ubisoft has no reply, but all the topics about this in the official forum are being shut down.

I have read someone advising other players to clear all activities in the map when they become available, since waiting to do all of the same activity at once would kill someone due to boredom. I agree - simply said, there is nothing fun in this game. Stealth is completely meaningless, while it should have been the focus of the franchise. Combat and movement have been made so easy they are jokes now. Side missions have been replaced by empty grind. The setting is ugly, as well as bland. The user interface is horrible. I honestly could not make myself to play this game beyond sequence 7... And watching the end, it's a massive disappointment. Like everything else in the game.

I'm done with the Assassin's Creed franchise for now.

j0kay
02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
I completely agree. The Singleplayer just isn't fun.
http://kotaku.com/5958941/how-has-assassins-creed-iii-disappointed-me-let-me-count-the-ways

GalakFyarr
02-24-2013, 12:39 AM
This... Is a very bad game.

The Assassin's Creed franchise has been losing much of its challenge since the second game. Now, in the series' fifth game, everything is so easy it feels like a joke. Enemies can be instantly killed by counter attacks which may be followed by single-hit kills on almost all nearby enemies;

this has basically been true for every single AC game, except AC1, since it didn't have killstreaks.

to make it even worse, now a big red icon flashes over an enemy when he's about to attack, allowing for perfect counters and thus making combat mostly a quick time event.

You could say this was ALSO true for all previous AC games, except it just didn't show an icon. I'm not sure how it's any different, since all you do in the previous games is just look for someone attacking you, then go on a semi-automatic rampage

"platforming" has always been "a joke", the only "difficulty" the previous games provided were just because your character wouldn't do what you want them to do, and you basically mess up. Otherwise, they've always been pretty straightforward, with little to no challenge.

I won't argue this, because it's true. Especially for the double assassinations.

Even the basics of the Assasin's Creed franchise have been made worse. Viewing points don't reveal the entire map around them anymore, and many of them - notably, all the ones involving climbing a tree - are exactly the same.

A lot of the towers you climb in all the previous AC games also look the same. And the fact they reveal less of the map might indeed be annoying when you're used to what the previous games gave you. I do agree they reveal too little of the map, but I don't think this is a legitimate cause for saying this game is "bad".

Navigating above the ground has been made worse by having trees following very specific paths, so they are of very limited utility, and having buildings far from each other so jumping through them is often not doable.

I didn't feel that way, I thought it was fairly balanced. As for the streets being too wide, i'm sorry, but I'm going to guess that streets were in fact that wide in that time period in the New World. (more on this later, because you mention this issue again)

Side missions have been reduced to literally fedex quests or just killing a random, unnamed enemy standing around - no story, no special circumstance to each killing, nothing. Even voice acting, which had always been brilliant in the franchise, takes a hit as the main character speaks with a monotone voice that remains as the voice of a teenager while he grows older in the game.

I agree about the side missions, they have indeed lost a lot of context and story. As for the voice acting, I didn't find it THAT annoying, but I can see why people would.

I'm pretty sure the Assassin's (as they are depicted in AC1) were not muslims, or as far as I know, AltaÔr in particular wasn't. it's not really relevant though.

It's unfair to compare Renaissance Itally to Revolutionary America. The cities WILL look hugely different because of their respective pasts (for one, revolutionary america doesn't have a very long past (therefore, not a very long architectural tradition)). I felt both Boston and New York managed to catch the feeling you were in the New World during the Revolutionary period, and that's all that mattered. Did I find Florence, Venezia and Rome more beatiful? Of course I did. But it's simply not comparable.

As for NPC's looking the same, I could point you towards all the old AC games too, where you will find countless of clones when roaming the cities too. So really, I don't see why this would be a major complaint for just AC3.

I fully agree here.

This is a recurrent issue within the game: there have been many new additions to gameplay... And nearly all of them are bad. Most consist of doing menial activities over and over, like hunting or selling goods through convoys; those things may artificially inflate the longevity of the game but they feel like shores, not like something fun. The only fun addition are the naval missions, but even those become repetitive very soon. And despite those additions, there are very few tutorials explaining how they work in game. So my wagon is under attack and I need to go defend it? Sure, but where is it? Why doesn’t the game explain that those convoys are only visible within one map? Why isn’t there any notification about how to level artisans?

I feel this is more of a matter of personal opinon, than a real objective argument. I quite liked the hunting, and even if you don't, you can beat the game without hunting for more than 5 minutes anyway. It is true however that the game sometimes doesn't explain things enough.

And, of course, a recurrent issue within the franchise is the lack of optimization for computers. Previous Assassin’s Creed games would bug for players who had multi-core computers, crashing randomly unless the game was told to only use a few cores. Now, Assassin’s Creed 3 bugs not only with CrossFire, requiring players to shut it off, but has also been suffering bugs that prevent players from playing it at all. As always, not only Ubisoft has no reply, but all the topics about this in the official forum are being shut down.

I neither agree nor disagree. Aside from the "no more background music" bug caused by the Hidden Secrets DLC, I have not encountered any problems with running the game. I understand it can be frustrating for those who do encounter problems, so that's why I don't disagree.

you're basically summing up your points:
- Stealth has been pretty much "meaningless" since AC1, so again, I don't see why it's suddenly a big issue for AC3 in particular
- Combat has been easy since AC2, and hasn't changed much for AC3, and I again don't see why it's suddenly a big issue for AC3 in particular
- movement has been made easier, and my personal opinion is that it's much better.
- I agree about the side missions
- The setting is NOT comparable to the setting in the previous games, and in my opinion the setting was absolutely fitting for the time period.
- I wouldn't call the UI "horrible", just "clunky"

Kaldire
02-24-2013, 12:59 AM
hehe I actually agree with almost this entire thread

only one thing multi and single are pointless to me
I want to love this game, but sadly still ac2 is my fav.. followed by 1 and both were poorly optimized even worse than acr and b and ac3
its a totally new engine.. with totally new issues.. so yea

I do wish sea battles would be a seperate game, like totally seperate .. i would have bought just that had it had multilayer :P imagine that lag though