PDA

View Full Version : TWCB, time travel, and the Tyranny DLC (MAIN GAME SPOILERS)

Rakudaton
02-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Just a number of observations I've made:

1) PoE's that allow time travel have been stated to exist. Abstergo stopped experimenting with them due to the dangers, but we don't know what the dangers were. If you change the past, do you create a paradox... or an alternate timeline?

2) Minerva failed to stop Juno in this timeline. Given that she is a powerful precursor with access (presumably) to PoE's and 75,000 years of history to play with, it seems awfully strange that she would do nothing to rewrite the future before we get to Desmond's choice...

3) Juno raises the possibility of alternate timelines twice: firstly when Connor has his spirit walk ("continuing your present course will result in a negative outcome"), and when she presents Desmond's choice to him.

Finally, and most importantly,

4) The Tyranny of King Washington takes place in an *alternate universe*, and appears from screenshots to feature a PoE.

Does this seem to add up to anything here? To me it seems that the justification for the DLC could well involve history being rewritten using a PoE. Or it could be the other way round: this was the original timeline, and then at the end of the Tyranny Connor uses the PoE to create the timeline we know, the one in which he was an assassin.

Sorry if this has been confirmed/denied/suggested already :D just thought it was interesting

FirestarLuva
02-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Great theory. :D

Assassin_M
02-11-2013, 08:00 PM
While most things make sense, the Tyranny is a dream. Connor is still Connor with his memories and all...He`s just having a weird dream

TheHumanTowel
02-11-2013, 08:05 PM
I hope it isn't just Connor having a dream and it's something more along the lines of what you're suggesting. It all seems possible and would be a good way for this alternate history DLC to have some relevance to the main plot.

Assassin_M
02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I hope it isn't just Connor having a dream and it's something more along the lines of what you're suggesting. It all seems possible and would be a good way for this alternate history DLC to have some relevance to the main plot.
Dreams are the best elements for main plots..

dreams can have everything to do with main plots..

Dreams.....having significance in plots since the dawn of literature...

TheHumanTowel
02-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Dreams are the best elements for main plots..

dreams can have everything to do with main plots..

Dreams.....having significance in plots since the dawn of literature...
Having this all be a dream Connor is having would render it meaningless. In this specific scenario this dream would have no significance to the main plot.

Assassin_M
02-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Having this all be a dream Connor is having would render it meaningless. In this specific scenario this dream would have no significance to the main plot.
It can....Just no effect..

It can be very be significant, but it most probably wont affect the main plot

ktyoung
02-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah. It's just a little "what if" scenario. This could have happened actually. Washington was offered something like this....thank god he turned it down.....

NekoKera
02-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Besides, if it is a dream, Connor can fight off redcoats riding unicorns with lasers and save the world from falling into the hands of stuffed bear pirates by becoming invisible. Oh and by the way, Washington transforms into a giant beast in the final boss scene with a gigantic American flag flowing behind and he can only be defeated with a holy hidden blade and the power of love. ;)

I actually like the theory suggested that this is some kind of alternate universe created by a PoE, but it is likely a dream or what-if scenario.

Perk89
02-12-2013, 06:06 AM
Juno's comment about "this current course will result in a negative outcome" had more to do with their machine than any time travel type thing. Juno and co. had their little machine that could used insanely advanced mathematics and such to foresee possible futures by accounting for all the variables.

Hence, if you Connor don't do this, then the math says this happens.

Perk89
02-12-2013, 06:07 AM
I despise TTOFKW as a whole so I hope it's just a dream and not just another ridiculous element to the game. Wish they'd just give us a real DLC.

Burningsnow
02-12-2013, 06:21 AM
I'd rather have TTOKW to mean something more than a dream. At the end Connor will just wake up and say "Well that was a cool dream! Good thing thats all it was. Imagine if that really could happen O_O"

I-Like-Pie45
02-12-2013, 06:23 AM
During the course of the 3 King Washington installments, Connor should learn some things about himself in his dream that helps him come to terms with his relationships to people like Haytham and Washington and when he finally wakes up it would be the perfect place to finally implement the Epilogue dialogue.

hinthintubisoft

pacmanate
02-12-2013, 09:22 AM
"And he woke up. And it was just a dream"

Hate endings like that. Kinda annoyed its a dream.

UrDeviant1
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
"Ratonhnhaké:ton (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Ratonhnhak%C3%A9:ton) awakened from an unsettling dream to find that, despite his efforts to deliver justice in the newly-founded United States of America (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/United_States), a new king had been crowned –George Washington (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/George_Washington)."

Can we be 100% certain that he's even in a dream during this DLC? I mean, the wording suggests that he wakes up from a dream to find that GW has been crowned, it doesn't say he had a dream in which GW was crowned.

RinoTheBouncer
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Excellent theory. I had a similar one a while ago but didn't state it publicly. I thought what if the Animus itself was time travel rather than reliving memories and the whole sync thing is to prevent those who live through it to change the course of history?

BeeMavrick559
02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
This makes sense. Turn down kingship to deceive the people,.obviously it's a guise. The Templars know him to be king of America. W.Miles says the Templars wanted us here at this exact moment. So of course washington couldn't hve assumed the kind of power because he knew his part to play in the grand scheme of things. Time travel sounds good, yea it's alternate and plays well into the dlc too.

RinoTheBouncer
02-12-2013, 11:06 AM
"Ratonhnhaké:ton (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Ratonhnhak%C3%A9:ton) awakened from an unsettling dream to find that, despite his efforts to deliver justice in the newly-founded United States of America (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/United_States), a new king had been crowned –George Washington (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/George_Washington)."

Can we be 100% certain that he's even in a dream during this DLC? I mean, the wording suggests that he wakes up from a dream to find that GW has been crowned, it doesn't say he had a dream in which GW was crowned.

I agree with you. The way it's written may not make it sound like a dream and when they were asked about how Desmond is reliving these memories after he died, they said "All will be justified in the game" so that means there's more to it than just a story that happened during the ACIII adventure that we skipped for some reason.