PDA

View Full Version : Gameplay idea: Build your own lift/trap using the ropedart

Sushiglutton
02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Just an idea I came up with the other day. Don't know where to send/post these, so I try it here ;).

Anyway I noticed that after you hang someone using the ropedart it looks kind of similar to the lifts in town (you know the ones you run up to and cut the rope to be pulled up to the roof). So my simple idea is that by hanging an enemy, or an object (like a barrel) we could create our own lifts. Then when you run up to the rope and press a button you are lift up to the beam used to hang the object. This can be used to create our own escape routes for example, or just messing around.

Since the counter weight falling on an enemy is deadly, this technique could also be used to build a trap. For example hang a barrel from a beam. Then when a group of guards passes underneath, shoot the rope with an arrow to crush them. By attaching bombs to the barrel in advance you can create an even deadlier trap ;)!

What do you guys think :)?

SixKeys
02-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I like it. Being able to do preparations pre-assassination would be awesome in general. In ACR I wish we could have used bombs for more than just messing around, it would have been great to be able to use them on your main targets (lure him to a specific spot with a flare bomb, set a tripwire trap and make him run in that direction etc.). Unfortunately the only mission with some freedom was the one with Tarik.

I also wish we had traps that would be effective against humans as well, not just animals. Maybe not strong enough to kill them, but to slow them down. Picture this combo attack: you're stalking a group of soldiers in the forest. One of them patrols nearby, so you set a bear trap for him while his three buddies are spread out. He gets caught and starts to scream, alerting his friends. Meanwhile you have just enough time to plant a tripwire bomb at his feet, so when his buddies come running to his aid, they all get blown to bits. :cool:

rob.davies2014
02-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but if Connor had used his weight to sling a person or an object up into the air, then surely it wouldn't have the necessary weight to pull him back up...

Sushiglutton
02-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but if Connor had used his weight to sling a person or an object up into the air, then surely it wouldn't have the necessary weight to pull him back up...

I think this falls under cheating physics in the name of fun ;). I mean technically Connor shouldn't be able to hang those big brutes in the first place. And also notice how the length of the ropedart adjusts depending on the situation. I guess we all have different standards for how much the game can cheat physics and get away with it. Personally I think this would be ok.

Sushiglutton
02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Hmm, I like it. Being able to do preparations pre-assassination would be awesome in general. In ACR I wish we could have used bombs for more than just messing around, it would have been great to be able to use them on your main targets (lure him to a specific spot with a flare bomb, set a tripwire trap and make him run in that direction etc.). Unfortunately the only mission with some freedom was the one with Tarik.

I also wish we had traps that would be effective against humans as well, not just animals. Maybe not strong enough to kill them, but to slow them down. Picture this combo attack: you're stalking a group of soldiers in the forest. One of them patrols nearby, so you set a bear trap for him while his three buddies are spread out. He gets caught and starts to scream, alerting his friends. Meanwhile you have just enough time to plant a tripwire bomb at his feet, so when his buddies come running to his aid, they all get blown to bits. :cool:

I like it :D! Outsmarting your enemies is fun and works well with the Predator vision Ubi had for Connor imo. Also trapping offers some variety and experimentation, which would be nice.

Another idea I had is to hang a rabit as a bait for bears. Or perhaps, more brutal, hang a soldier as bait. I wouldn't mind stuff like being able to attach bombs to a barrel and roll it down a slope into an enemy camp either. Or perhaps string the ropedart across a road to behead a rider passing by :cool:.

BTW here are some fun uses with a rope-arrow in the new Tomb Raider game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-glIhFqXMg&feature=player_embedded

SixKeys
02-09-2013, 01:30 AM
These are great ideas, I especially like the barrel-bomb. ;) I kind of wish we could have used the powder kegs in AC3 outside of special missions. You could use them similarly to bombs, just carry several ones to strategic points around a building and create yourself a trap or escape route. You could even call upon your assassin recruits to blow the barrels up at your call. You've just assassinated someone, the guards give chase, you bolt out of the door, signal your recruits and they shoot the barrels from a distance, killing or slowing down your enemies so you have time to escape.

Free_Hidings
02-09-2013, 03:53 AM
Still viable, even if the enemies are heavier than Connor, he jumps off the tree which gives him added momentum compared to climbing down

Farlander1991
02-09-2013, 04:31 AM
Sushi, I know you really like the bow-rope feature from the Tomb Raider, and I agree that it's a cool feature, but it seems to me that you think that it's going to allow for more freedom and experimentation than it actually does. Just looking at the video you can see the visual cue, that objects that can have the rope-arrow attached to them are clearly marked with... white ropes, so it's all design based. And you can create ziplines only where there's respective pillars to attach the other end of the rope to, so, again, it's all based on level design. I'm not saying it won't allow for some cool moments or interesting puzzles (and I'm eagerly waiting for the new Tomb Raider game because it looks to me that it's going to be very enjoyable), but it's not going to be 'oh, what else can I do with this thing?!' kind of mechanic. But it makes sense in a gear-gated game.

On the topic, I think it's a cool idea, even though it may defy the laws of physics more than Connor using the rope dart to hang them (which, I actually don't think really defies rules of physics). And in AC3 the guards have a VERY big range of how far they follow (I would say even bigger than AC1) you, so self-made escape routes are always nice.

Sushiglutton
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Still viable, even if the enemies are heavier than Connor, he jumps off the tree which gives him added momentum compared to climbing down

In theory yes, in practice it looks a bit iffy ;), but like I said I don't mind.

Sushi, I know you really like the bow-rope feature from the Tomb Raider, and I agree that it's a cool feature, but it seems to me that you think that it's going to allow for more freedom and experimentation than it actually does. Just looking at the video you can see the visual cue, that objects that can have the rope-arrow attached to them are clearly marked with... white ropes, so it's all design based. And you can create ziplines only where there's respective pillars to attach the other end of the rope to, so, again, it's all based on level design. I'm not saying it won't allow for some cool moments or interesting puzzles (and I'm eagerly waiting for the new Tomb Raider game because it looks to me that it's going to be very enjoyable), but it's not going to be 'oh, what else can I do with this thing?!' kind of mechanic. But it makes sense in a gear-gated game.

On the topic, I think it's a cool idea, even though it may defy the laws of physics more than Connor using the rope dart to hang them (which, I actually don't think really defies rules of physics). And in AC3 the guards have a VERY big range of how far they follow (I would say even bigger than AC1) you, so self-made escape routes are always nice.

Yeah they use some not very subtle visual cues in Tomb Raider along with strict rules for when the mechanics can be used. Still the ideas are real nice and something to be inspired by :).

SupremePrince
02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Its funny I was talking about rope dart ideas to my colleague yesterday and I came up with this....

You know when your in new york and your free running on the roofs and you go to jump to a building across the street but misjudge the distance and fall to the ground?

What if the rope dart was also to act like a grappling hook so if you go to jump and miss you throw the dart it attaches to the building stopping you from falling all the way to the ground.
If you use it you cant do it again unless you have more rope dart supplies or you go buy some.

SixKeys
02-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Its funny I was talking about rope dart ideas to my colleague yesterday and I came up with this....

You know when your in new york and your free running on the roofs and you go to jump to a building across the street but misjudge the distance and fall to the ground?

What if the rope dart was also to act like a grappling hook so if you go to jump and miss you throw the dart it attaches to the building stopping you from falling all the way to the ground.
If you use it you cant do it again unless you have more rope dart supplies or you go buy some.

The devs already toyed with the idea of the rope dart being usable in free-running, but decided it was too unrealistic.

Farlander1991
02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Yeah they use some not very subtle visual cues in Tomb Raider along with strict rules for when the mechanics can be used.

Visual cues are not supposed to be subtle :)