PDA

View Full Version : AC3 - PC: The things that disappoint me.

Tanyn
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Let me preface this by saying that - in general - I do not hate Assassin's Creed III. It is fairly enjoyable, perhaps not as much as some of it's predecessors, but it is still fun. Also, quite a few of my gripes are subjective interpretation or just plain old personal opinions. Lastly, I've not read too far into the forums to see if any other threads exist that relay any of these issues. That said, let us begin.

1. FREE-RUNNING:
I will say that it is a good bit better than it has been, but there are still problems that should not be there in my opinion. The good old "jumping from the tree and falling to your death, as you land about 2 feet away from the hay-stack you were aiming for" problem is still there. In certain sequences, while chasing targets, I often jumped off an object, aiming for the next branch in the 'oh-so-obviously' laid out tree path, only to jump into a part of the tree that can't be climbed, about 2 inches off of my target, which lead to me falling to the ground, and getting desynchronized due to losing too much distance from the target. Often I have to deliberately pause, turn towards what i intend to jump to, make absolutely sure that I'm pushing the directional button in that direction, and then jump. My chances then are still 50/50 as to whether Connor will jump where I'm wanting him to, or jump down to a stack of boxes about 45 degrees off to my left, and 3 meters below me.

2. CONNOR
The cool factor: Ezio had it, Altair had it (albeit to a lesser degree than Ezio), Connor ... just ... doesn't. His voice actor is weak, or comes across as such, with often *painful* over pronunciation of every SINGLE thing he says. It reminds me of Data from Star Trek: Next Gen. ... He NEVER uses contractions. His voice is far too soft and humble, and he's much too nice. He doesn't ever really seem to have that typical Assassin determination, you never feel his passion. He doesn't have any snarky comments or any charm or charisma for that matter. He is so naive it hurts. Granted, Ezio was a little naive in AC2 as well, but he wasn't THAT bad. Connor is pretty dull all around, and just not a likable or memorable character. Even his walk annoys me, constantly twisting his torso from one side to the other, almost like he's trying to dance to the latest hip hop video. No. One. Walks. Like. That. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that - for me - he lessens the game's experience all around. Also, I understand that Connor is Native American, the game goes way too far out of it's way to shove that fact in our faces at times, believe me, we get it ... but if I hear him say "Nyawa" when skinning an animal ONE MORE TIME ... I'm going to murder somebody.

3. ASSASSINS' TRADITION
This has been thrown almost completely out of the window. Some may call me a traditionalist for this, but so be it. Connor has no idea what the assassins are, or what they stand for. Sure he has that moment where Achilles explains to him the history of the order (and by that i mean that moment where the screen flashes white for 2 seconds, and it's assumed Achilles caught him up to speed.) Thankfully, I personally am already aware of the events that occurred in previous installments, but this game would not be very friendly to someone who was just getting into the series, they'd be completely lost. Connor just doesn't feel like he has any business actually being an assassin. It's hard to peg down my specific reasons that I feel this way. Perhaps it's the drastic personality change from Altair and Ezio, who were both fairly confident and egotistical ... to *this* guy.

4. ASSASSIN RECRUITS
I understand that, in modern times, Assassins are obviously not still wearing the white robes of their ancestors, but that did somewhat irk me. Again though, you've got these specific people, who have no idea what the Assassin order is, or what it means to be one, who yet become them. I do not recall the game ever giving any incident in which they are informed of what it means to join the order. The Order, in general, is starting to feel less like an 'Order', and more like a "we'll take anyone who comes along" fight club.

5. THE GLITCHES
I've purchased both the PS3 and PC versions of AC3, I was hoping many of the glitches and graphical issues I noticed on the PS3 version at launch would be fixed, but many were not. There are still several times that I will fast travel to a harbor master, and wait - quite literally - for 30-45 seconds, while the textures are painted, and the actors around me are spawned. Often I will watch this happen 1-to-2 textures/characters at a time, in a circle, spreading outward from my position. That's not to mention several pathing issues that tend to kill the immersion. Officers jumping up on the rails of ships, Horse-drawn carriages either walking completely through buildings, or emerging from the ground. There is also the issue that the fact that everything spawns around your character's position has become far too obvious. You hit Notoriety Level 3, and you can just jump in a hay bale, and watch the map, as the Jagers are incrementally placed, one at a time, on almost every alley and street close to you. There is also the fact that there are quite a few groups of guards who do not get a red-dot indicator on the mini-map. This often leads to unexpected conflict, as I had no idea any guards were watching me. There are also the 'ghost dots', which are red dots on the mini-map, yet when you go to that location, there is no one there. Getting into an open conflict while at Level 3 is nearly impossible to get out of, because as you fight, Jagers are constantly being spawned directly on top of you, and rushing in to the fight, keeping it going indefinitely, until you decide to run it off. It's supposed to feel real, I'm not supposed to be aware of spawning mechanisms and the like, I'm not a programmer :(

There are also some of the more minor things, such as the lack of attack notifications in a fight. More often than not, you get the red marker above an enemy's head as he's attacking you. But quite often, you don't. That's not to say they can't be countered if you still see the attack coming. But, once you get used to seeing the red marker, you tend to look for only that, so you don't realize any enemy is attacking without said marker, until he hits you.

6. THE SOUND LOOPS
I'd say the sound loops were WAY too over done in this one. The ride with Paul Revere is one that is cited quite often. Those [insert random expletive here] annoying children on the streets. Any given assassin recruit when he gets injured on the battle field. There's also the previously mentioned "Nyawa" thing when Connor skins an animal (he says that WAY too much ... frankly, it sounds stupid, to me anyway. An option to turn that off would be nice, it almost single-handedly deters me from hunting). There are just too many instances of EXCESSIVELY repetitious sound loops to name them all, but there you have it.

7. OUTFIT COLORS
For some reason, no matter WHAT Color you change your robes to, you are ALWAYS wearing the white/blue robes in cut-scenes. I generally go with the white/red robes, or the black/red robes. On occasion, Connor will have the red accents on the bottom of his robe ... but the rest of the robe is still the default white/blue, when a cut-scene plays ... another immersion killer.

8. OPTIONAL CONSTRAINTS (OCCASIONAL LACK OF NOTIFICATION)
Let me start this section off by saying that i LOVE having optional objectives to achieve full synchronization. It gives at least a modicum of challenge to a game that is - frankly - getting WAY too easy (oh look, 100 soldiers are attacking me, circle, square ... circle, square ... circle, square ... "Oh Snap! O.o" ... circle, x, square, square, square ... circle, square"). My problem here lies with the occasional occurrence of the optional constraint that is not listed, until you fail it. More often than not, the optional objectives are displayed on the screen, so you get your brief "OK, this is what i need to do" moment, and that's that. There are at least a few that I know of though, that are not displayed unless you happen to open the map window. I don't want to have to open my map window every 5 minutes just to make sure that a new optional objective hasn't popped up without my knowledge. One of these objectives (that isn't listed on-screen until you fail it) that comes to mind, is the "Achieve a minimum kill streak of 3" objective, when you're escaping Fort Wolcott.

9. TARGETING VS. AIMING
I like the fact that you can now Aim, I do NOT like the fact that you can no longer truly *lock* a target. You can aim at him, and the camera will follow him for a while, but if you turn the camera away, you are no longer targeting him. It tends to make it difficult to fire on the officer who has gone and gotten on a horse in the middle of a fight. I like both mechanisms, aiming and truly locking a target, so i propose the question, why not have both?

10. VIEW POINTS VS. MAP EXPLORATION
Viewpoints and the leaps of faith performed from them have become an iconic, well ... icon. My problem with them in this game is that (especially when you take into account the sheer size of the Frontier) after you've gotten every single one, there are still ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE amounts of the map that are left unexplored. Combine that with the way the exploration system works (you have to almost literally set foot on every square inch of land in order to get the map unclouded) and it just falls short. You would probably have to spend dozens of hours to fully uncover a map. I like the exploration factor ... but my personal opinion is that it was just too MUCH, too fast. My suggestion? If you're going to do the same exploration idea in the next installment, at least extend the radius around the character in which the map's fog gets uncovered. This way I don't literally have to set foot on every blade of grass, stone, and leaf on the ground in order to get it all uncovered.

11. THE NOTORIETY SYSTEM
For the most part it hasn't *really* changed too much. One of my problems with it is, after the tutorial mission that covers notoriety reduction, I have NEVER seen another poster ... not once. Also, it's very, very easy to completely eliminate notoriety in a city. Regardless of your notoriety level, once you find yourself anonymous, all you have to do is fast travel, to any fast travel location within that city, and all of your notoriety is instantly erased. I'm not sure if that was intentional ... but regardless of whether it was intentional or not, it makes an already devastatingly easy game ... just a little easier.

12. TOOL SELECTION
The Weapon Wheel worked quite well, it was quick and fairly seamless. The new tool selection is noticeably sluggish to the point of becoming a frustrating distraction at times. That's all I can really say about that.

If I can remember more, I will likely amend this post. These are just my subjective interpretations and opinions, thank you for reading :)

AjinkyaParuleka
02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
He's the first guy to criticise about Free-Running.

Lupercus50
02-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I never chase Myriam througn the trees, as soon as the chase starts I'm off running along the ground and always catch up.
I agree about the jagers, you can out run them, assuming you get out from the middle of the onslaught before getting thrashed to death which happens very fast.
When connor goes to skin an animal, just hit the interract control to skip the scene.

bveUSbve
02-06-2013, 09:35 PM
He's the first guy to criticise about Free-Running.
Even some "professional" reviews have mentioned that f/tree-running doesn't always work as smoothly as it should.

Outside of trees: The structure of buildings, the width of the streets make that part of free running less enjoyable than in previous titles. Then there are those moments when the game decides to make the player character climb a wall or ladder - only YOU wanted to just run on the ground... This has always been a problem to some degree, but it seems to be more prevalent now.

And I personally don't think it was a good idea to let the right trigger (on XBox controller) control speed from slow walking to frantic free running all alone - without the 'A' button to help differentiate between "normal" movement and actual free running.

----

@Tanyn:
I agree with you, the game isn't as good as it should be. To me it appears "incomplete" and insufficiently tested/polished. The writing - story AND characters - also isn't as convincing as it has been in the best titles of the series (in my opinion ACII and 'Brotherhood').
Of course there are many people who like the game unreserved. But I know for sure that those who don't are NO negligible quantity ...

AbasiClinton
02-07-2013, 06:14 AM
I am completely satisfied by its working.Though I have also read in some of the reviews that it does not run very smoothly but still I am satisfied by its working.

Get details about eco sol (http://www.stsinks.com/roland.html) from the link.

Tanyn
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I never chase Myriam througn the trees, as soon as the chase starts I'm off running along the ground and always catch up.
I agree about the jagers, you can out run them, assuming you get out from the middle of the onslaught before getting thrashed to death which happens very fast.
When connor goes to skin an animal, just hit the interract control to skip the scene.

Unfortunately, I tend to wait until sequence 9 (when New York first becomes fully available) and do all of my completionist stuff before continuing with it. I hate doing it post-story, because then (last I checked) I'm stuck without a hood, and with that RIDICULOUS mohawk. The only problem with sequence 9, is that it's winter, there's snow everywhere, chasing her on the ground in the snow doesn't really work :/

I'll take your advice on skinning though ... that "Nyawa" thing bugs me to no end.

hoodrat94
02-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Let me preface this by saying that - in general - I do not hate Assassin's Creed III. It is fairly enjoyable, perhaps not as much as some of it's predecessors, but it is still fun. Also, quite a few of my gripes are subjective interpretation or just plain old personal opinions. Lastly, I've not read too far into the forums to see if any other threads exist that relay any of these issues. That said, let us begin.

1. FREE-RUNNING:
I will say that it is a good bit better than it has been, but there are still problems that should not be there in my opinion. The good old "jumping from the tree and falling to your death, as you land about 2 feet away from the hay-stack you were aiming for" problem is still there. In certain sequences, while chasing targets, I often jumped off an object, aiming for the next branch in the 'oh-so-obviously' laid out tree path, only to jump into a part of the tree that can't be climbed, about 2 inches off of my target, which lead to me falling to the ground, and getting desynchronized due to losing too much distance from the target. Often I have to deliberately pause, turn towards what i intend to jump to, make absolutely sure that I'm pushing the directional button in that direction, and then jump. My chances then are still 50/50 as to whether Connor will jump where I'm wanting him to, or jump down to a stack of boxes about 45 degrees off to my left, and 3 meters below me.

2. CONNOR
The cool factor: Ezio had it, Altair had it (albeit to a lesser degree than Ezio), Connor ... just ... doesn't. His voice actor is weak, or comes across as such, with often *painful* over pronunciation of every SINGLE thing he says. It reminds me of Data from Star Trek: Next Gen. ... He NEVER uses contractions. His voice is far too soft and humble, and he's much too nice. He doesn't ever really seem to have that typical Assassin determination, you never feel his passion. He doesn't have any snarky comments or any charm or charisma for that matter. He is so naive it hurts. Granted, Ezio was a little naive in AC2 as well, but he wasn't THAT bad. Connor is pretty dull all around, and just not a likable or memorable character. Even his walk annoys me, constantly twisting his torso from one side to the other, almost like he's trying to dance to the latest hip hop video. No. One. Walks. Like. That. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that - for me - he lessens the game's experience all around. Also, I understand that Connor is Native American, the game goes way too far out of it's way to shove that fact in our faces at times, believe me, we get it ... but if I hear him say "Nyawa" when skinning an animal ONE MORE TIME ... I'm going to murder somebody.

3. ASSASSINS' TRADITION
This has been thrown almost completely out of the window. Some may call me a traditionalist for this, but so be it. Connor has no idea what the assassins are, or what they stand for. Sure he has that moment where Achilles explains to him the history of the order (and by that i mean that moment where the screen flashes white for 2 seconds, and it's assumed Achilles caught him up to speed.) Thankfully, I personally am already aware of the events that occurred in previous installments, but this game would not be very friendly to someone who was just getting into the series, they'd be completely lost. Connor just doesn't feel like he has any business actually being an assassin. It's hard to peg down my specific reasons that I feel this way. Perhaps it's the drastic personality change from Altair and Ezio, who were both fairly confident and egotistical ... to *this* guy.

4. ASSASSIN RECRUITS
I understand that, in modern times, Assassins are obviously not still wearing the white robes of their ancestors, but that did somewhat irk me. Again though, you've got these specific people, who have no idea what the Assassin order is, or what it means to be one, who yet become them. I do not recall the game ever giving any incident in which they are informed of what it means to join the order. The Order, in general, is starting to feel less like an 'Order', and more like a "we'll take anyone who comes along" fight club.

5. THE GLITCHES
I've purchased both the PS3 and PC versions of AC3, I was hoping many of the glitches and graphical issues I noticed on the PS3 version at launch would be fixed, but many were not. There are still several times that I will fast travel to a harbor master, and wait - quite literally - for 30-45 seconds, while the textures are painted, and the actors around me are spawned. Often I will watch this happen 1-to-2 textures/characters at a time, in a circle, spreading outward from my position. That's not to mention several pathing issues that tend to kill the immersion. Officers jumping up on the rails of ships, Horse-drawn carriages either walking completely through buildings, or emerging from the ground. There is also the issue that the fact that everything spawns around your character's position has become far too obvious. You hit Notoriety Level 3, and you can just jump in a hay bale, and watch the map, as the Jagers are incrementally placed, one at a time, on almost every alley and street close to you. There is also the fact that there are quite a few groups of guards who do not get a red-dot indicator on the mini-map. This often leads to unexpected conflict, as I had no idea any guards were watching me. There are also the 'ghost dots', which are red dots on the mini-map, yet when you go to that location, there is no one there. Getting into an open conflict while at Level 3 is nearly impossible to get out of, because as you fight, Jagers are constantly being spawned directly on top of you, and rushing in to the fight, keeping it going indefinitely, until you decide to run it off. It's supposed to feel real, I'm not supposed to be aware of spawning mechanisms and the like, I'm not a programmer :(

There are also some of the more minor things, such as the lack of attack notifications in a fight. More often than not, you get the red marker above an enemy's head as he's attacking you. But quite often, you don't. That's not to say they can't be countered if you still see the attack coming. But, once you get used to seeing the red marker, you tend to look for only that, so you don't realize any enemy is attacking without said marker, until he hits you.

6. THE SOUND LOOPS
I'd say the sound loops were WAY too over done in this one. The ride with Paul Revere is one that is cited quite often. Those [insert random expletive here] annoying children on the streets. Any given assassin recruit when he gets injured on the battle field. There's also the previously mentioned "Nyawa" thing when Connor skins an animal (he says that WAY too much ... frankly, it sounds stupid, to me anyway. An option to turn that off would be nice, it almost single-handedly deters me from hunting). There are just too many instances of EXCESSIVELY repetitious sound loops to name them all, but there you have it.

7. OUTFIT COLORS
For some reason, no matter WHAT Color you change your robes to, you are ALWAYS wearing the white/blue robes in cut-scenes. I generally go with the white/red robes, or the black/red robes. On occasion, Connor will have the red accents on the bottom of his robe ... but the rest of the robe is still the default white/blue, when a cut-scene plays ... another immersion killer.

8. OPTIONAL CONSTRAINTS (OCCASIONAL LACK OF NOTIFICATION)
Let me start this section off by saying that i LOVE having optional objectives to achieve full synchronization. It gives at least a modicum of challenge to a game that is - frankly - getting WAY too easy (oh look, 100 soldiers are attacking me, circle, square ... circle, square ... circle, square ... "Oh Snap! O.o" ... circle, x, square, square, square ... circle, square"). My problem here lies with the occasional occurrence of the optional constraint that is not listed, until you fail it. More often than not, the optional objectives are displayed on the screen, so you get your brief "OK, this is what i need to do" moment, and that's that. There are at least a few that I know of though, that are not displayed unless you happen to open the map window. I don't want to have to open my map window every 5 minutes just to make sure that a new optional objective hasn't popped up without my knowledge. One of these objectives (that isn't listed on-screen until you fail it) that comes to mind, is the "Achieve a minimum kill streak of 3" objective, when you're escaping Fort Wolcott.

9. TARGETING VS. AIMING
I like the fact that you can now Aim, I do NOT like the fact that you can no longer truly *lock* a target. You can aim at him, and the camera will follow him for a while, but if you turn the camera away, you are no longer targeting him. It tends to make it difficult to fire on the officer who has gone and gotten on a horse in the middle of a fight. I like both mechanisms, aiming and truly locking a target, so i propose the question, why not have both?

10. VIEW POINTS VS. MAP EXPLORATION
Viewpoints and the leaps of faith performed from them have become an iconic, well ... icon. My problem with them in this game is that (especially when you take into account the sheer size of the Frontier) after you've gotten every single one, there are still ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE amounts of the map that are left unexplored. Combine that with the way the exploration system works (you have to almost literally set foot on every square inch of land in order to get the map unclouded) and it just falls short. You would probably have to spend dozens of hours to fully uncover a map. I like the exploration factor ... but my personal opinion is that it was just too MUCH, too fast. My suggestion? If you're going to do the same exploration idea in the next installment, at least extend the radius around the character in which the map's fog gets uncovered. This way I don't literally have to set foot on every blade of grass, stone, and leaf on the ground in order to get it all uncovered.

11. THE NOTORIETY SYSTEM
For the most part it hasn't *really* changed too much. One of my problems with it is, after the tutorial mission that covers notoriety reduction, I have NEVER seen another poster ... not once. Also, it's very, very easy to completely eliminate notoriety in a city. Regardless of your notoriety level, once you find yourself anonymous, all you have to do is fast travel, to any fast travel location within that city, and all of your notoriety is instantly erased. I'm not sure if that was intentional ... but regardless of whether it was intentional or not, it makes an already devastatingly easy game ... just a little easier.

12. TOOL SELECTION
The Weapon Wheel worked quite well, it was quick and fairly seamless. The new tool selection is noticeably sluggish to the point of becoming a frustrating distraction at times. That's all I can really say about that.

If I can remember more, I will likely amend this post. These are just my subjective interpretations and opinions, thank you for reading :)

Agree with most, but what about the main campaign being ridiculously short? Doesn't that bother you?After sequence nine it's just go there meet him, do this...cutscene, do that ....cutscene.... boom sequence 12! I so BADLY wanted to love this game,JESUS! who am i to complain, Ubisoft doesn't care if on gamer if disappointed. Game sold well, and it's all they care about. Sometimes just wish R* found this franchise first. Skip AC4, buy Witcher 3, they care and thats why it comes on PC first.

DARBs04
02-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Great thread holmes, I am satisfied with what I have played thus far in AC3 around 10 hours. It looks great, and I can run it on High @ 60fps on meh PC so its a good time. There is one new mechanic I DETEST. Mobile eavesdropping is a VERY FRUSTRATING idea that I cannot stand to be forced to do. If there is one thing I can agree with on the opinions(reviews) is that the overall design of AC3 isn't quite as excellent as past titles. I have beaten all but Revelations.