PDA

View Full Version : Plans for upcoming tournament organized by Matrix.disc (with help from Aza404)

Matrix.disc
02-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Hello my dear MMDoC community!
I'd like to present you with my idea for a Pro-Series tournament that I'm organising with help of Aza404 and possibly even more people!

Check out the video on my twitch.tv channel :
http://www.twitch.tv/matrix_disc/b/364317378

It's a rough idea at the moment, but I am working hard to make it happen.

C4r-n4ge
02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Great !!! At last something is happening here - more tournaments, more die hard competition, more fun !!!!!!!!!

Ipwnfour
02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Great idea! One thing I remember from playing Shadow Era (I know MMDOC isn't SE...) is that players kept organizing tournaments. Be it big ones stretching for a few weeks or 'popups' (organized +/- 2 hrs in advance, single elimination ~16 player tournament, first-come-first-serve). This kept the community and competition pretty active. Rewards were either given by players themselves (because it wasn't so hard to obtain all cards) or sponsored by the Developers.

I hope this is the start of a whole series of tournaments organized by players!

r3tsa
02-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Nation's Cup was by players already.

Matrix.disc
02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
We are already discussing some sweeeeeeeeet prizes for the players and the preparations are fully under way! I have a really good idea to make it even more interesting when it comes to the players that are invited :)

porkobolo
02-06-2013, 01:13 PM
questionable way to choose players, but really good idea, i'm gonna follow this tournament!! I will be a supporter of cucu99 ____

Harmbringer
02-06-2013, 02:04 PM
hm, it would be good to know how people are invited, as i maybe have to push my ELO than.
And be sure that that Im able to push way higher, still didnt give anything about it.

EDIT: Forget it, i didnt hear the stream until you meantioned it :rolleyes:
Well handpicked Players, I could also name my favourites.

WalkingHawking
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
I wrote this after watching Aza404's first commented match:

Post date : 01-29-2013, 01:54 AM

Wow man, you definitely need a partner there, a retired DoC champion could join you... maybe when Matrix gets tired of waiting for the patch he will join you there lol
Well, jokes aside, it was fun to hear you, keep it up ^^
Now you can call me Nostradamus.

P.S: Matrix won't let me participate after trolling him with that voteup link =|

C4r-n4ge
02-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Two important questions - how many players will be invited? 8 or 16? I think 16 would be more fair as we have now quite a lot of pro players. And second question? Who will be invited ..:D ?

Eonito
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
OK, so we have topic "Plans for upcoming tournament organized by Matrix.disc (with help from Aza404)", but I can't find any information about it in topic, it'll be nice to wrote something about it, instead writing "I'm too lazy to write you about my plans, but here you have link for my stream, where i talked about it".

But returning to your plans I'll write how i understand it all.

So matrix want create competition for his DoC buddies, and what is best, devs'll give them prizes. And for the pleasure the whole community we'll be able to watch duels against best farmers in DoC (well, they prefer to call them pro or hardcore players because it looks cool, but seriously we haven't professional players in DoC. Or I miss something?)! Awesome idea?! I don't think so.

I watch couple streams, and except Sjonegaard's stream, which was pretty good for new players, they were boring (I love players shoving their skills with the resources+throne+tower combo... fascinating...). I'm pretty average and casual player, but i want to participate in competitions. I'll learn much more during fighting against better players than me, instead of watching replays. And sometimes even I could win (like yesterday against r3tsa in Nisevaros Cup, but it was pretty lucky for me)

And fact that Devs'll sponsor awards for this tournament is ridiculous, because it's close competition, for players which be chosen I don't know how. So if Devs like support players competitions maybe I could organize Pro-Hardcore Universe Championship (cool name is fundamenstal) for me and couple my buddies (sorry, no invites, but you'll be able to see replays on youtube), and Devs'll give to us prizes (something small like code for one copy of every epic). Everybody should be happy!

tl;dr It's bad idea.

C4r-n4ge
02-06-2013, 06:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jD8bxnD.jpg (http://imgur.com/jD8bxnD)

Le.Rancord
02-06-2013, 06:40 PM
OK, so we have topic "Plans for upcoming tournament organized by Matrix.disc (with help from Aza404)", but I can't find any information about it in topic, it'll be nice to wrote something about it, instead writing "I'm too lazy to write you about my plans, but here you have link for my stream, where i talked about it".

So matrix want create competition for his DoC buddies, and what is best, devs'll give them prizes. And for the pleasure the whole community we'll be able to watch duels against best farmers in DoC (well, they prefer to call them pro or hardcore players because it looks cool, but seriously we haven't professional players in DoC. Or I miss something?)! Awesome idea?! I don't think so.

I watch couple streams, and except Sjonegaard's stream, which was pretty good for new players, they were boring (I love players shoving their skills with the resources+throne+tower combo... fascinating...). I'm pretty average and casual player, but i want to participate in competitions. I'll learn much more during fighting against better players than me, instead of watching replays. And sometimes even I could win (like yesterday against r3tsa in Nisevaros Cup, but it was pretty lucky for me)

And fact that Devs'll sponsor awards for this tournament is ridiculous, because it's close competition, for players which be chosen I don't know how. So if Devs like support players competitions maybe I could organize Pro-Hardcore Universe Championship (cool name is fundamenstal) for me and couple my buddies (sorry, no invites, but you'll be able to see replays on youtube), and Devs'll give to us prizes (something small like code for one copy of every epic). Everybody should be happy!

tl;dr It's bad idea.

Thanks for taking part in the thread

porkobolo
02-06-2013, 06:41 PM
I agree with C4r-n4ge, haters gonna hate...i'm not happy that the players will be chosen in this way, but, EHI, this is a wonderful idea!
Before the expansion i was one of the best (i think XD), after i was bored and i've restarted playing after the patch...i haven't all the card i need, and i'm stalling at ELO 1200-1300 (sometimes worse), i know that at the moment i'm not one of the better 16 players, but maybe with time i will be one of the players that will play next tournaments organized in this way...

so don't broke the balls and enjoy the community XD

sorry for the bad english, i'm not so prepared xD...i hope that it's clear...

Matrix.disc
02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
"I'm too lazy to write you about my plans, but here you have link for my stream, where i talked about it".

That's pretty much it - if I will have more news to disclose I will communicate it in an appropriate way. I find Q/A on stream a good way to quickly interact with bigger amount of people rapidly. I'm sorry you don't have enough time to watch it, I will improve on the communication about the tournament details next time when we will have more details set in stone.

competition for his DoC buddies

This tournament will have handpicked invites for players I think as the best players in the community. GELO doesn't really express it, but my knowledge of our relatively small environment allows me to pinpoint who is amongst the best players and deckbuilders (that is an indicator for me too).
You're free to think whatever you will, but don't expect me to take you seriously if you start with an assumption that me sacrificing my private time to organize a tournament for the community is surely inspired by the wish to give stuff to "my buddies".

we'll be able to watch duels against best farmers in DoC

If I wanted the best farmers, I'd take the gross total of games played/won as the determinant. Or top GELO.

i want to participate in competitions. I'll learn much more during fighting against better players than me, instead of watching replays

I'm glad you want to participate in competitions, and as you mentioned you are taking part in the Nisevaros cup, so, wait, there ARE competitions that you can take part in! Not every competition has to be open and fitting your taste. This one is supposed to be elitist to ensure highest possible level of play and actual tension for the people who will watch the replays.
Replays, yes. I have been missing commentated replay of games until Aza404 has started doing them. I feel we can improve on the form if we do it in pair and include a serious competitive element in the matches we are commentating in order to make them even more interesting for the audience. I am sure that many SC2 players like to watch pro competitions evne though they can't take part in them. I just watch them and enjoy it as many other fans of the e-sport.

And fact that Devs'll sponsor awards for this tournament is ridiculous, because it's close competition, for players which be chosen I don't know how.

Of course it's ridiculous, because... Well why is it ridiculous? The competition being closed, invite-only doesn't really have anything to do with the ridicule of the fact that the Dev team might be sponsoring some rewards. If the do, I will be super happy to see it happen, as it's yet another great step towards making our game more popular and awesome to play.

So if Devs like support players competitions maybe I could organize Pro-Hardcore Universe Championship

As far as I know, you are free to contact the Dev team with your idea for a tournament and if they evaluate it as something interesting and worth supporting, they will surely do so! And yes, of course, kick *** name is crucial. I forgot to add "ultimate".

you'll be able to see replays on youtube

I love watching commentated replays of my favourite games when the best players are competing against each other. It was only available on Aza's YouTube channel so far and there are also the guys from the French community doing the commentaries. I think it's a great thing.

WalkingHawking
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM

tl;dr It's bad idea.

I think you just gave me a great idea!
Matrix organizes the tournament, spending as much freetime/resources as he can and giving out the rewards himself, but you decide who will play, what prizes are they gonna get, etc.
Isn't it awesome?!

Seanwxy
02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Can I join?

Keabard
02-07-2013, 05:15 PM
love watching commentated replays of my favourite games when the best players are competing against each other. It was only available on Aza's YouTube channel so far and there are also the guys from the French community doing the commentaries. I think it's a great thing.

Hi there ! o/

Can't wait for this tournament to begin, so much hype !

Pjovejas
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Well, this is new game so at the start all the principles of organized tournaments should look messy :) I only wish you to somehow develop such good ideas to "better"... For example, I don't think that it is good (to the long run) to decide who is best from someones personal point of view. I understand that now in beta environment + many fixes (nerfs) etc. it is hard to find neutral criteria for that. But for the future, I wish you to find some other criteria :)
Besides, elo locks doesn't help either for determining best players in the long run.

Anyway, good luck with the tournament :)

EDIT: besides, for such events I think there should be some "separate" ELO introduced, earned in smaller tournaments for example... Because if you start using general ELO soon you'll take off the fun part from everyday games for many players, because they'll keep thinking about high tournaments... And experiments, fun will just die...

Matrix.disc
02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Hi there ! o/

Yes, it was you Keabard and I think as well Karsou (but I am not sure though). If I forgot someone then I sincerely apologize.

I only wish you to somehow develop such good ideas to "better"... For example, I don't think that it is good (to the long run) to decide who is best from someones personal point of view.

I totally agree with you, Pjovejas, the way of choosing players has a loooong way to go to become satisfactory for me. The reason I decided that this will be a hand picked list of players, which by definition is no "fair" and is "skewed" because I want the tournament to happen NOW. As soon as possible, basically immediately, if I only could make it happen :)
I will surely work on improving the selection process to make it more true to the real notion of "best 16 players".

I am now in the process of assembling the invitation list, soon more info will follow!

trupiciel
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
First of all - great idea! The more events the better, that's for sure.

Now to the direct seeding thing. You stated in the video (it's so wrong to force people to watch 30min of disorganized ramblings btw rather than create a FAQ :P ) that the tournament might start in two months time, right? Could you consider then creating like another topic for open bracket, give people two weeks to subscribe and then run few rounds of bo1s?

Ciolkmen
02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Hello,
what do you think about asking every player to record themselves talking about their decks since they will play the same deck in every match?
You know, video or just voice record why some cards are in this deck and why some aren't, main deck strategy etc. I really enjoy comentary and i find whole idea briliant but I think that some theoretical stuff will make it even better :D

trupiciel
02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Hello,
what do you think about asking every player to record themselves talking about their decks since they will play the same deck in every match?
You know, video or just voice record why some cards are in this deck and why some aren't, main deck strategy etc. I really enjoy comentary and i find whole idea briliant but I think that some theoretical stuff will make it even better :D

This is like the greatest idea ever!

Matrix.disc
02-07-2013, 08:26 PM
First of all - great idea! The more events the better, that's for sure.

Now to the direct seeding thing. You stated in the video (it's so wrong to force people to watch 30min of disorganized ramblings btw rather than create a FAQ :P ) that the tournament might start in two months time, right? Could you consider then creating like another topic for open bracket, give people two weeks to subscribe and then run few rounds of bo1s?

As I stated a bit earlier, I will make a more comprehensive announcement when more details will be set in stone. Regarding the timing of the tournament - I stated in the video that you can expect it in a time frame shorter than 2 months - that might mean a lot of things. It is the first tournament I am organizing and I am constantly finding out more things I didn't know about organizational decisions and problems. That means that right now I can't give you and precise date of the start. And that's exactly why I won't be considering any open bracket for this edition (I'm hoping to make it a cyclical series, but that's a call of the future and it's too early to even think to discuss it) - we will not have enough time to run the open bracket.

Hello,

There are some ideas that I won't reveal yet - but I will try to make the tournament good not only in the quality of games that top players can provide, but also make it interesting in a sort of SC2 tournaments style that you get more non-game content to enjoy.

ulpsz
02-09-2013, 02:38 AM
I don't like the Idea of involving only the best players ...what's the point of the big prices ???

you guys allready have allmost all the stuff available....

why not organize some kind of prelims??

Matrix.disc
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
why not organize some kind of prelims??

As I wrote earlier:

we will not have enough time to run the open bracket.

ulpsz
02-09-2013, 02:29 PM
ok got that, but still I see no point in this inner circle tournment -

Keabard
02-26-2013, 05:19 PM
ok got that, but still I see no point in this inner circle tournment -

Spectacular, high level games. I think that's enough =)

Don't worry about the prices, i'm sure it will be useful to them when new expansions will be released.