PDA

View Full Version : What do you hate the most about any AC?

ToughGuy31
02-01-2013, 03:46 AM
Title speaks for itself, but I hate the linearity and the way Desmond was handled...

Edit: Hate is a strong word, I meant for something like den defense, and it doesn't have to be 1 AC only. :)

Assassin_M
02-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Definitely Linearity......And the fan-base...........Sometimes >_>

dAnNyKiLlZ
02-01-2013, 03:54 AM
I thought it was really anticlimactic, especially Desmond's part. Now I know that this has been said a million times already, its just harder to get over because I was expecting a lot more.
After playing sequences 1-4, I seriously thought this was going to be the best game I ever played. I figured out that Haytham was going to be Connor's father, but I had absolutely no idea he was a templar. I said to myself, holy crap.. this is only the fourth or fifth sequence and I'm already shocked with this amazing plot... but ever since then, it was all a downfall for me. I still enjoyed the game but what ruined it for me was the fact that I had too many high hopes, I'm not sure if it's my fault or not, but I was led to believe in those high hopes.

ToughGuy31
02-01-2013, 03:57 AM
I thought it was really anticlimactic, especially Desmond's part. Now I know that this has been said a million times already, its just harder to get over because I was expecting a lot more.
After playing sequences 1-4, I seriously thought this was going to be the best game I ever played. I figured out that Haytham was going to be Connor's father, but I had absolutely no idea he was a templar. I said to myself, holy crap.. this is only the fourth or fifth sequence and I'm already shocked with this amazing plot... but ever since then, it was all a downfall for me. I still enjoyed the game but what ruined it for me was the fact that I had too many high hopes, I'm not sure if it's my fault or not, but I was led to believe in those high hopes.

I concur. It went downhill after that.

SixKeys
02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
I hate the unpredictable and nonsensical enemy AI in AC3. Even with ACR, which was my least favorite before AC3 came along, the game never frustrated me to the point where I simply didn't want to play anymore. I'm currently on my second playthrough of AC3 and progress is sluggish at best. Many missions just plain aren't fun because no matter how stealthy I am, enemies can somehow detect me through walls. It's a broken feature and makes me want to give up playing.

Another thing I hate is how the characters have gone downhill since ACR. ACB may have had a simplistic story, but that never bothered me because I saw it more as an opportunity to develop already existing characters. ACB perfected characterization IMO. Which is why I was so disappointed that there wasn't a single memorable character in ACR. In AC3 there's Haytham and Achilles but that's about it.

kuled2012
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
The disturbing images on Tumblr with Altair and Malik... *shivers*

Legendz54
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I hate how the modern day story can sometimes be so underwhelming and too simple.

dxsxhxcx
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
linearity

RinoTheBouncer
02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Spending too much time doing things unrelated to the modern world story.

misterB2001
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Definitely the linearity. That first sequence with Haytham in the hall should have been one of the best missions in the series. they got the atmosphere perfect, it looked stunning, the play being acted out in the background was purely amazing. But it was linear, only one way up. There was no skill involved, no having to plan the safest or best route up.

I understand the constraints the devs are under because strictly speaking what we are seeing has ultimately already happened, but without pinching that bit of creative freedom, they are stifling the series.

They only need to take a few pointers from Dishonoured and Hitman and it could rejuvinate the series.

dxsxhxcx
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Definitely the linearity. That first sequence with Haytham in the hall should have been one of the best missions in the series. they got the atmosphere perfect, it looked stunning, the play being acted out in the background was purely amazing. But it was linear, only one way up. There was no skill involved, no having to plan the safest or best route up.

I thought the same thing when I played that mission for the first time...

I understand the constraints the devs are under because strictly speaking what we are seeing has ultimately already happened, but without pinching that bit of creative freedom, they are stifling the series.

IMO that's ********, they should try to be realistic when they use real events, how "x" event happened, when it happened, if there's something that happened during the event that's well documented recreate this scenario as well, but how the player will interact with it should be up to the player to decide.. you'll only kill your target once, so the path you decide to take will be how your story happened...

Mardarkin
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
"Press 'x' to complete mission" assassination design and Quick Time Event combat against animals. When you've got an engine that's so capable of offering choice and spectacle in your combat and assassinations, pressing random buttons to kill a whole pack of wolves feels, frankly, ridiculous.

TheHumanTowel
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
ACR's ending chase scene. Worst set piece of all time.

itsamea-mario
02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
ACR's ending chase scene. Worst set piece of all time.

Look at that, then look at AC1, a tear is shed in the name of subtlety.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
The endings. All of them. But in a different way than others do.
I'm not sure I like the explanations given on the whole human evolution, 1st civilisation, Eden garden being a lab, goddesses and religions stemming from ancient beings etc as if they were facts. We all know it's science fiction of course, but I always get the intense feeling these are almost presented as facts. The endings just look something out of a Scientology book. So every time I see the disclaimer that this game was created by a variety of people from different religions, backgrounds etc I cringe, because the endings never give me that feeling.

itsamea-mario
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure I like the explanations given on the whole human evolution, 1st civilisation, Eden garden being a lab, goddesses and religions stemming from ancient beings etc as if they were facts. We all know it's science fiction of course, but I always get the intense feeling these are almost presented as facts. The endings just look something out of a Scientology book. So every time I see the disclaimer that this game was created by a variety of people from different religions, backgrounds etc I cringe, because the endings never give me that feeling.

...then every game is terrible, how dare anyone present fiction or fantasy as if it was real. All the TWCB should have worn silly hats so we would know it's fake.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 02:32 PM
...then every game is terrible, how dare anyone present fiction or fantasy as if it was real. All the TWCB should have worn silly hats so we would know it's fake.
Um... I covered that in my post already. You didn't get what I said though it seems. Well, I hate to use that word, but the endings look like anti-religious PROPAGANDA to me. Maybe that word will make it clearer? I didn't want to be so bold in my previous post since I didn't want to derail the thread and open an endless religion argument in here, in which nobody ever wins. (I'm not religious btw)

itsamea-mario
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
It never denies the existence of god. Though it does pick a few gripes with organised religion (good). But anyone dumb enough to actually believe all the scifimagicshnizzle deserves to be removed from the gene pool immediately.

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 02:39 PM
The endings. All of them. But in a different way than others do. I'm not sure I like the explanations given on the whole human evolution, 1st civilisation, Eden garden being a lab, goddesses and religions stemming from ancient beings etc as if they were facts. We all know it's science fiction of course, but I always get the intense feeling these are almost presented as facts. The endings just look something out of a Scientology book. So every time I see the disclaimer that this game was created by a variety of people from different religions, backgrounds etc I cringe, because the endings never give me that feeling. The banal explaining of the religions and religious myths is the thing I love by far the most about AC. That scene with the bible in AC3... great! But despite this I don't like that there was a human civilization before ours. And I hate: 1. Last Chase scene in Revelations. Ridiculous unrealistic. 2. Every love scene/love story ever made

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 02:47 PM
The banal explaining of the religions and religious myths is the thing I love by far the most about AC. That scene with the bible in AC3... great! But despite this I don't like that there was a human civilization before ours. And I hate: 1. Last Chase scene in Revelations. Ridiculous 2. Every love scene/love story ever made
LOL This banal explaining is the thing I HATED most. Even though I do AGREE with a lot of the explanations. No denying that. But I feel it's almost bordering on religious hate (well, that's the feel I got anyway) and that put me off completely. Other may not see it like that, but speaking to other people, they felt like me, and, ironically, most of them are atheists or agnostics.
The bible scene was the scene I had in mind in my post and the scene I hated most. For me, maybe WORST scene in a game EVER. Seriously, it almost made me consider to not buy another AC game after that. Too bad I love the rest of the game to do that...

PS. The 1st civilisation thing actually didn't bother me at all. I'd just prefer that to exist without the religious spin.

Anyway. let's not make it a thread about religion... I simply posted what I hated most.

itsamea-mario
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
2edgy4u

i'm not sure i remember i bible scene..

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
2edgy4u
i'm not sure i remember i bible scene..
It's the one in AC3 where...

[SPOILER]

Desmond is given the options of choosing the planet's fate. He is given a mind image of him being a religious prophet/saviour.

itsamea-mario
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Oh, i was thinking it was something in connors time.

...I don't mind that bit. it has a point. and stuff.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Oh, i was thinking it was something in connors time.

...I don't mind that bit. it has a point. and stuff.

Yes, that's the one.

I didn't see the point though.

dxsxhxcx
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM

you get the intense feeling that they're presented as fact because inside the game universe they are facts...

but the endings look like anti-religious PROPAGANDA to me

the disclaimer you talked about in your previous post is there exactly to avoid this kind of line of thought, now if religious people choose to ignore the fact this is just a game then it's their problem..

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
you get the intense feeling that they're presented as fact because inside the game universe they are facts..
But outside the game universe it can be seen as propaganda my many people - even by atheists/agnostics. (see my subsequent post)

the disclaimer you talked about in your previous post is there exactly to avoid this kind of line of thought, now if religious people choose to ignore the fact this is just a game then it's their problem..
I said I'm NOT religious. And already explained the reasons I cringe when I see that disclaimer.

By the way, way to go people!! Let's all now start a religion argument! yaay!!

Let's all agree to disagree. Okay?

dxsxhxcx
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
But outside the game universe it can be seen as propaganda my many people - even by atheists/agnostics. (see my subsequent post)

like I said, if religious people (or not) choose to ignore the fact this is just a game this is their problem, I know I won't lose a single minute of sleep because of them.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
like I said, if religious people choose to ignore the fact this is just a game this is their problem, I know I won't lose a single minute of sleep because of them.

And like I said, this is an issue with many non-religious people, too. I think it's just... too... disrespectful for starters. The key word I used was propaganda through the media (a game in this instance). Imagine the uproar if instead of the bible, a sacred Native American belief was mocked.

ok, I think this is getting too culturally philosophical now. lol

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 03:32 PM
What's wrong about anti-religious stuff? People's eyes have to be opened, to not believe anything blindly, as it COULD be completely different in reality and start think for themselves. It's an important lesson.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 03:33 PM
What's wrong about anti-religious stuff? People's eyes have to be opened, to not believe anything blindly, as it COULD be completely different in reality and start think for themselves. It's an important lesson.
Did I SAY anything like that? And who's to say we have to open their eyes by mocking them? Why are we the superior ones to open their eyes?? Especially if they leave peacefully and don't harm anyone. Why this disrespect??

I am "ANTI-anti-religious" if that makes sense, even though I'm not religious. I also hate mocking of ANY religion (hence why I hated the AC endings).
Pagans for example worshipped tree-spirits. Native Americans animal spirits. I don't believe any of that. But I still respect that belief and I will never EVER mock it.

Sickull
02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
The disturbing images on Tumblr with Altair and Malik... *shivers*

Lmao

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Did I SAY anything like that? And who's to say we have to open their eyes by mocking them? Why are we the superior ones to open their eyes?? Especially if they leave peacefully and don't harm anyone. Why this disrespect?? I am "ANTI-anti-religious" if that makes sense, even though I'm not religious. I also hate mocking of ANY religion (hence why I hated the AC endings). Pagans for example worshipped tree-spirits. Native Americans animal spirits. I don't believe any of that. But I still respect that belief and I will never EVER mock it. You say you hate that the endings are Anti-religious "propaganda". I say when a religion causes fascistic and terroristic thoughts and actions to other thinking people, it's beyond a point where it can be tolerated. Then the only solution is the religion has to vanish completely, regardless of people who live the religion peacefully, that price is too high.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 04:05 PM
You say you hate that the endings are Anti-religious "propaganda". I say when a religion causes fascistic and terroristic thoughts and actions, it's beyond a point where it can be tolerated. Then the only solution is the religion has to vanish completely, regardless of people who live the religion peacefully, that price is too high.
Vanish completely? Variety and differences is what makes the world a better place and that includes the variety of religions! Believe it or not, they have shaped the beauties of this world and historical liberties in ways you can't even imagine unless you sit down and read some in-depth history. I find your ideas extremely disturbing to be honest.

(I forgot to say that what I hate most together with theological fundamentalists are also the non-theological ones.)

the_atm
02-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Please sir, have any money? I'm poor and sick and hungry! please sir! don't walk away from me *throws rock* Please sir my children are- *stab*

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Vanish completely? Variety and differences is what makes the world a better place and that includes the variety of religions! So you like that fascistic thinking of the catholic church? The "exorzism" and killing of homosexual people in the name of god? The burning of the witches? Sure was a great party. The crusades, the wars and slaughtering? The pope stopping rational and progressional thinking whenever he can? The islamistic terrorists? The terroristic regimes and opressions in muslim lands are all grounded on the religion. The unfair treatment of women in the world. And so on. Who tolerates this suffering of innocent people and calls it "variety" is not better than the fascists. I'm sorry for the many people who want to live their religion peacefully and the good things the religions are causing but this price is too high! (Sure this doesn't affect all religions, some do no harm)

Sushiglutton
02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
The patronizing attitude towards the player both in terms of restricted mechanics and on the rails mission design.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 04:35 PM
So you like that fascistic thinking of the catholic church? The "exorzism" and killing of homosexual people in the name of god? The burning of the witches? Sure was a great party. The crusades, the wars and slaughtering? The pope stopping rational and progressional thinking whenever he can? The islamistic terrorists? The terroristic regimes and opressions in muslim lands are all grounded on the religion. The unfair treatment of women in the world. And so on. Who tolerates this suffering of innocent people and calls it "variety" is not better than the fascists. I'm sorry for the people who want to live their religion peacefully and the good things the religions are causing but this price is too high! (Sure this doesn't affect all religions)
Oh dear God... (pun intended). No I don't like any of it to answer your question. But I don't think you ever got my point AT ALL in this thread anyway so I will just leave you there fuming about Catholicism.
Careful not to burst any blood vessels.

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Oh dear God... (pun intended). No I don't like any of it to answer your question. But I don't think you ever got my point AT ALL in this thread anyway so I will just leave you there fuming about Catholicism. Careful not to burst any blood vessels. No I don't get it, what you wrote here is kinda contradictory. Hope I'm not the only one who sees it that way.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
It's not contradictory. You just didn't get it. Maybe it's too deep and philosophical to fully grasp it. To fully analyse it a would need another thread and 10 pages at least.
Bye. No more time to waste arguing with you. Sorry.

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 04:55 PM
It's not contradictory. You just didn't get it. Maybe it's too deep and philosophical to fully grasp it. Bye. No more time to waste arguing with you. Sorry. Or maybe you're just wrong.

silvermercy
02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Or maybe you're just wrong.

Oh!? And you are totally right I presume? I didn't realise you were representing the Universe. Let me beg to differ...

MT4K
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Can we get back on topic now guys?

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Oh!? And you are totally right I presume? Perhaps appointed by the Universe. Let me beg to differ... I said "maybe". Sorry when I'm too stupid to argue with, I just try to learn and want to know what's truth and what's the best for the world. Maybe I haven't learned enough yet. Maybe.

YuurHeen
02-01-2013, 05:20 PM
That after ac1 it became more of a hollywood game in which you have to kill people just because the ezio and connor don't like them and it only happens to be templars.

mgdiock
02-01-2013, 05:31 PM
So you like that fascistic thinking of the catholic church? The "exorzism" and killing of homosexual people in the name of god? The burning of the witches? Sure was a great party. The crusades, the wars and slaughtering? The pope stopping rational and progressional thinking whenever he can? The islamistic terrorists? The terroristic regimes and opressions in muslim lands are all grounded on the religion. The unfair treatment of women in the world. And so on. Who tolerates this suffering of innocent people and calls it "variety" is not better than the fascists. I'm sorry for the many people who want to live their religion peacefully and the good things the religions are causing but this price is too high! (Sure this doesn't affect all religions, some do no harm)

What I don't like is when people also refuse to acknowledge that the church kept alive scientific reasoning, theory, and thought in the dark ages. They feed million who would otherwise go hungry. They cloth people who would freeze to death. They provide shelter. They care for people who would be otherwise disposed of by society. It is so easy to look at something when hindsight is 20/20. I see anti-Catholic Bigotry like this all the time.

How about when Catholics were denied property rights in England for 400 years?

To the bigger point though, Silvermercy is correct. There is a lot of anti-religious propaganda in the game, and saying it was made by a group of people with diverse religious and cultural backgrounds doesn't excuse religious bigotry. It bothers me most about the games as well.

Dosenwabe
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
What I don't like is when people also refuse to acknowledge that the church kept alive scientific reasoning, theory, and thought in the dark ages. They feed million who would otherwise go hungry. They cloth people who would freeze to death. They provide shelter. They care for people who would be otherwise disposed of by society. It is so easy to look at something when hindsight is 20/20. I see anti-Catholic Bigotry like this all the time. How about when Catholics were denied property rights in England for 400 years? So what's your point? "We always do good things and shaped culture, so in exchange we can do as much sh*t as we want!"

FrankieSatt
02-01-2013, 06:47 PM
The way this story was stretched out way to long and it showed in ACIII. UbiSoft dug themselves into a corner by introducing the animus and Desmond's story line and then took WAY TO LONG to finish it.kl Now that they have finally finished it they will continue to bastardize the series by trying to come up with a reason to continue to play with more Ancestors.

Assassin_M
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Can we get back on topic now guys?
Yeah ?? See this pretty post ?

Bloody listen to it...

Assassin_M
02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
So you like that fascistic thinking of the catholic church? The "exorzism" and killing of homosexual people in the name of god? The burning of the witches? Sure was a great party. The crusades, the wars and slaughtering? The pope stopping rational and progressional thinking whenever he can? The islamistic terrorists? The terroristic regimes and opressions in muslim lands are all grounded on the religion. The unfair treatment of women in the world. And so on. Who tolerates this suffering of innocent people and calls it "variety" is not better than the fascists. I'm sorry for the many people who want to live their religion peacefully and the good things the religions are causing but this price is too high! (Sure this doesn't affect all religions, some do no harm)
I just want to get this out please:rolleyes:

I guess Democracy needs to disappear too....You know....WW I and WW II were in the name of Democracy, the Nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki was in the name of Democracy, the air strikes everywhere in the Middle east is in the name of Democracy....and Religion should disappear completely regardless of the peaceful ones ?? Allow me to call this mindset disturbing in the very least....I think you should disappear....you and your entire family for that mindset....regardless of what your entire family thinks....even if they think other wise and are half decent people who do not think if a violent minority exists in a community then that community should disappear completely....

You`re an Indecent Human being, sir