PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed 3: 10 Reasons You Should Still Be Playing

FirestarLuva
01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
http://whatculture.com/gaming/assassins-creed-3-10-reasons-you-should-still-be-playing.php

It’s been almost four months now since the release of what I’m sure was a lot of people’s most anticipated title of 2012, and the fun just doesn’t stop.

Assassin’s Creed 3 brought along a lot of new, re-packaged some old, and was rather unfortunately met with mixed/average reviews. It seemed that after the little less than stellar experience of Revelations, everyone was excited for a change in scenery, time period, and character, but after months of hype the game was finally released and for a lot of long-time fans of the series brought more disappointment.

It was a good game, though it could have been a great game, and while you might want to hate it, it still keeps climbing its way into your system. Maybe it was the drastic change in protagonists, or the setting – I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it remains irresistible.

Perhaps we were just expecting too much, because to say the game is just flat out terrible would be completely inaccurate; it’s a very good game with some strong qualities and it is certainly among the very best must-play games of last year.

Here are the reasons we’re still playing and why you should still be playing Assassin’s Creed 3.

10.Naval/Side Missions

Arguably the best feature added to the game was the amazing naval combat: it was smooth, fun, and adrenalin pinching and it makes you wish Ubisoft would make a full-fledged pirate game. Although not many missions utilized the feature (probably just the right amount where it didn’t overstay its welcome during the main campaign) there are still plenty more naval missions waiting, all you have to do is visit the harbormaster. It’s a nice little option and makes for some incredible side missions.

The side missions themselves are one of the reasons this game still grips. There is certainly no shortage of people to help, protect, recruit, and even deliver letters to. Liberation mission, mail couriers, assassinations contracts, and assassin recruits are dispersed throughout New York and Boston. Frontiersmen always have an interesting task for Connor, and building up your homestead with colorful characters can be rewarding – it may not be the most fun one can have in the game but at least it’s an option.

In short, you will have plenty of content to keep you going long after you’ve completed the story. Whether you want to sail a ship through the high seas and those pesky rogue winds, or recruit a worthy assassin into the ever so small colonial brotherhood, or maybe just for the hell of it you want to stop some **** tax collectors. Point is it might feel unnecessary, but at least these little encounters make the world feel more alive, and give you a little something extra to do while you’re headed from point A to point B.

9. Tree Climbing

Something that felt missing from AC3 was the gorgeous architecture at your disposal to leap and climb all over. Though there is some of that, it is rare to be on a rooftop for more than five seconds before you have the eyes of four or more guards all over you with their guns drawn. (Throwing knives would have helped a lot in those situations.)

And on the off chance you can stay and leap across rooftops for a while it is only a matter of time before there is nowhere else to go, the streets are often too wide to jump, and those tight ropes that were always in the handiest of places in previous games are few and far between. Luckily to make up for what seems to be frowned upon climbing in cities there is a new tree climbing mechanic and it is oh so satisfying. It is handy in the winter, no longer do you have to wade yourself through the deep snow saving you precious time. It gets you easily past patrols in the frontier, or gives you the perfect opportunity to try out your rope darts, quite the way to make an entrance into battle!

It is fun and for the most part fluid and an extremely welcome change to the series.

8. The Setting

When the photos were leaked of an obvious Native American man donning an eagle on the now immediately recognizable assassin’s hood and wielding a tomahawk in the shape of an assassin’s symbol all in front of a giant American flag we might have all doubted its authenticity, but to everyone’s surprise we were wrong. Soon a trailer was released and after that who could forget their stunningly bad-*** E3 CG trailer?

Everyone was excited for this game, including people who hadn’t played the series – it wasn’t exactly a tough sell for Ubisoft. After all, you get to interact with George Washington, and play a part of the Battle of Bunker Hill! (Unfortunately it’s quite the departure from the E3 trailer.)

While you have gotten to interact with plenty of interesting and historical figures in the past games, Renaissance Italy wasn’t really gone over that thoroughly in history classes, compared to this particular setting. While some gamers argue the setting with the plot gets a little Forrest Gump-y at times (while riding along with Paul Revere… let’s just say I’m somewhat inclined to agree) you can’t deny it was pretty fun to see what was taught in history class through an assassin’s eyes rather than black and white text.

Hardly any games have delved into this time period and I give kudos to Ubisoft for trying and making it come to life.

7. The Frontier

We haven’t had many experiences in the AC series that didn’t have to deal with beautifully re-created large cities, and very rarely were the Assassins out in the “wild.”

Sure there was that maze of mountain passes in the first, and the grassy pastures that surrounded Tuscany, the dreary swamps of Forli, and another similar mountain pass in the second, but this game was the first to give us a fleshed out, very much alive, and often dangerous wilderness. There was tree climbing, like mentioned above, frontiersmen to aid, a headless horseman to track down, and of course, feather collecting, not to mention the hunting.

The parallel with Rockstar’s incredible Red Dead Redemption is impossible to resist, and while the two games are somewhat on par with the hunting, I have to give the edge to AC3, thanks to its bow and arrow. You also have bait and snares at your disposal and of course the vast environment you can attempt to blend in with while trying to sneak up on your prey.

The frontier is also just beautiful: leaves flutter around you as the sun shines through the branches creating gorgeous shadows, and at any moment you could go from climbing through trees, to diving off a log into a pile of brush, to then swan-diving off a cliff into a lake. It’s a lovely little playground that will keep you distracted for hours.

6. The Story

There is no denying the story for AC3 was one of the better out of 2012: it had interesting characters brought to life by superb voice talent, and what seemed to be an incredibly slow start was rewarded with a wonderful deliberate twist, which caught us all completely off guard – or me at least.

The hook of the story meant that it is extremely difficult to simply stop playing – you can’t wait to find out what is going to happen next. Whether it’s controlling a five year old Connor through probably the most emotional scene in the game, or experiencing the Boston Massacre first hand, or an extremely surprising, fun, and unlikely team-up, which is sure to be most people’s favorite sequence in the game.

AC3 offered up a lot of the most memorable gaming moments of 2012, and although there seemed to be a lot of missed opportunities throughout, like expanding too much on some aspects while others needed a lot more explaining, there is no doubt this certainly is a game that you should or should still be playing.

5. The Characters

As you could have imagined, you will meet lots of historical figures, more so than in previous games and it is almost certain you will know more about them. Luckily, for the most part these guys hardly overshadow the main characters when they make their little cameos.

From the protagonist to the antagonist nearly every character in AC3 is interesting, even better almost every character is likeable. The game does a very good job at blurring the line between good and evil. Unlike AC2 where you get this aura that every villain is just pure evil mastermind, there were even videos in the database highlighting what horrible human beings they were, AC3 is more similar to the first in the series. You have targets, you have to kill these guys, but why? Are they and their ideals really that…wrong? Sometimes you feel yourself rooting for the people you have been taught to hate the past three games, and then soon enough they do something to remind you that they are kind of terrible human beings.

It’s hard to determine who you like and who you should pull for in this game because every character has something special and often times you find yourself rooting for all of them, even the villains, which is rare.

But come on Ubisoft, Achilles was criminally underused.

4. Connor

Let’s just get this out of the way and say Connor is no Ezio, but that isn’t actually so much of a bad thing. Sure people can complain about how boring they think he is, but remember these are the same people who would be complaining if he was just a Native American version of Ezio, they would be ranting and raving things like “Ubisoft can’t even come up with anything original anymore.”

Ubisoft took a risk, and obviously the likes of Ezio will never be matched due to his loyal following, but the Italian ladies man had over-stayed his welcome just a little too long. Enter Connor, he is young and naÔve, which is brought to light many times throughout the story, and he wants so much to believe in one thing but is constantly pulled in several different directions.

While Ezio had his parents until he was nearly an adult, Connor had very little guidance through basically his entire life. Connor is a much more tragic character, not every hero can be so happy-go-lucky all the time. Sure he could have had a bit more personality in the story but instead the developers decided to put that elsewhere, which brings us to…

3. Homestead Missions

Remember the complaints about Connor being boring and emotionless? Clearly those complainers haven’t played the homestead missions yet – and while they are definitely not the most fun you will have in the game but they are certainly worth a try.

You see your lonely little stretch of land come to life with plenty of welcome, interesting characters who are always available to talk to. You see Connor become a peacemaker, a match-maker, and even a pig herder, and he even smiles once. You get a little bit of insight into what’s going through his mind, and he even talks about a love-interest, or rather a lack-there-of. The whole point of this is these missions allows us an insight into his personality, and even though it would have been better to have this in the main campaign at least it’s there somewhere.

Even more, the homestead missions showed that there is still a lot of potential for character growth and having another game with Connor as the hero wouldn’t be a bad thing.

2. Combat

Best to get the elephant in the room out of the way first… Arkham City. There now that that’s out of the way there is no denying that Ubisoft took pointers from Rocksteady’s incredible Batman Arkham series, and why not? Those games have some of the most fluid, not to mention satisfying, combat out there.

The combat system certainly isn’t identical to the batman games, and some argue it was overly simplified, but how much more simplified can it get from wait… wait… wait… counter! The new combat system is fun and mostly fluid and battles are much quicker. You can also now take out targets on the move, which is fun and satisfying, and the combat is also quite varied – you can counter attackers at any time while in the middle of any move, and guns and stronger brutes can change up your gameplay in a second.

You might find yourself dodging, blocking, and then disarming big axe wielding (and kilt wearing) brutes, then seconds later you find yourself wishing you had left someone as a human shield cause four guys with the yellow indicator have got you dead in their sights. Sure it can be easy, but it’s nice seeing the mechanics improve from game to game, and it’s nice to see guards with a little common sense knowing that attacking one at a time isn’t going to bode well for them.

1. Multiplayer

Probably the reason that everyone is still playing this game is for the fun of killing your friends, or complete strangers come to that. The multiplayer for Assassin’s Creed has always been unique, and although the developers added some new and somewhat unnecessary modes, all the fun is still there. Rather than the basic run and gun it is all focused on stealth, and while you don’t necessarily need to be stealthy, doing things like climbing on rooftops is often a dead giveaway, unless of course you think you’re MLG enough to get away with it. It’s a nice change of pace to try and completely blend-in, desperately trying to hunt down your target, knowing someone else could be right on your own trail. Also it’s hilarious to try and act like an NPC and spotting the other players trying to do the same.

So there you have it, ten worthy reasons Assassin’s Creed 3 should still be sitting in your console right now. Surely all these things can keep you busy until the first piece of DLC “The Tyranny of King Washington-The Infamy” releases on February 19th.

Well, congratulations to WhatCulture for being the first site to grow brains. I hope to see something similar from IGN soon.
Lately, I've seen sites regretting or feeling sad about the bad reviews AC3 got and say it deserved more. I guess one thing is true for AC3; gets better with every playthrough.
Surprised Connor is one of the reasons they listed; and on 4th place. Two months ago they were bashing AC3, comparing it to AC2. And now, did these guys smoke something before making this?
was rather unfortunately met with mixed/average reviews
Perhaps we were just expecting too much
Connor shouldn't be compared to Ezio.
While Ezio had his parents until he was nearly an adult, Connor had very little guidance through basically his entire life. Connor is a much more tragic character, not every hero can be so happy-go-lucky all the time.
Connor has personality.
And I quote; having another game with Connor as the hero wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Another.game.with.Connor.wouldn't'be.a.bad.thing
wouldn't.be.a.bad.thing.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/g600616996.gif

I guess when someone wrote on another forum that people's opinion on Connor has changed weren't crazy after all...

SixKeys
01-27-2013, 10:33 PM
3. Homestead Missions

Remember the complaints about Connor being boring and emotionless? Clearly those complainers haven’t played the homestead missions yet – and while they are definitely not the most fun you will have in the game but they are certainly worth a try.

LMAO! I can't tell if this person is being funny on purpose or if his wording is just unintentionally ambiguous. The way I'm reading it is: "Folks, if you thought Connor was boring and emotionless, just wait till you get a load of these people!" Which is an entirely accurate representation of my feelings towards those missions. I'm not sure the author meant for it to be read that way, though. :D :rolleyes:

FirestarLuva
01-27-2013, 10:43 PM
LMAO! I can't tell if this person is being funny on purpose or if his wording is just unintentionally ambiguous. The way I'm reading it is: "Folks, if you thought Connor was boring and emotionless, just wait till you get a load of these people!" Which is an entirely accurate representation of my feelings towards those missions. I'm not sure the author meant for it to be read that way, though. :D :rolleyes:

Lol. XD

Sushiglutton
01-27-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't know if this article is serious :confused:. First off, who the heck can still have fun with the side content? Deliver letters, assassination contracts, feathers, frontiersman mission. All of them were simply walking from point A to B and press a button (or not). The liberation missions were slightly more complex, like doing one fight agaisnt a small group of enemies, but gets old pretty fast. Same with tree climbing/frontier. Cool feature, but since there is no freedom it is only fun for so long. If you are still having fun with the combat, you must not be that experienced of a gamer. There are many games out there with much, much better combat.

It's funny how the author struggles to come up with ten positive points. For example he has one point called "Characters", then another called "Connor". He has one point called "Tree climbing", than another called "the frontier". He has one called "Side missions" and another callled "The Homestead". This guy is trying very hard to be positive, but he fails. The truth is that there is very little reason to keep playing the game. The gameplay is so shallow, restricted and lacks any form of challenge that only the most dedicated fans can find a reason to push themselves through all the mundane content again and again. I know I can't do it.

dogtobycars
01-28-2013, 01:05 AM
The side missions were extremely boring to me, IMO the best AC game with side missions would have to be ACB. Tree climbing isn't really any help in the game unless it's snowy, Naval combat was amazing, but it was restricted to these 11 or so missions, I wanted to see sailing down the coast from boston to New York and fighting Pirates, or drop us off in some carribean island area and let us have fun there, I think connor is the worst of the 3 assassin's we've had to play as, the main missions were sometimes even more boring than the side missions, look at the bridge shooting, we are on horseback and we are basically running back and forth between 3 squads while mashing the button they designated to make them fire, the Midnight ride made me want to throw Paul Revere off the horse and onto a tree stump, and the Haytham fight, God that was a dissapointment, I mean stand by this barrel and press the counter button, it was just so repetitive. I can keep going on but I'll be nice and let this guy think this was the best AC

Carch
01-28-2013, 03:55 AM
f you are still having fun with the combat, you must not be that experienced of a gamer. There are many games out there with much, much better combat.

Yeah, that's a good argument. Insult people who like the game.

Guess what, I've been playing video games since 1975, and I love the combat in Assassin's Creed 3. And I've played through the game 3 times with 100% sync, and I'm still playing.

It's okay if you don't like the game, but try to refrain from insulting people and trying to turn your opinions into facts.

Assassin_M
01-28-2013, 04:09 AM
If you are still having fun with the combat, you must not be that experienced of a gamer. There are many games out there with much, much better combat.
This low is not you, man..

If I remember correctly, You`re not one for ridiculing people for having different opinions.....That is not you, man

YuurHeen
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Great that you can still play this game and enjoy it. for me those 10 points are negative experiences.

montagemik
01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
The gameplay is so shallow, restricted and lacks any form of challenge that only the most dedicated fans can find a reason to push themselves through all the mundane content again and again. I know I can't do it.

Completely AGREE on that point & the rest of your post Sushi - Nice to see another player not blinded by senseless devotion to a short lived gaming experience - Long term , AC-3 offers very little .
And believe me - i've looked for anything that may extend the single player aspect ...............Including killing over 3000 bears in free roam in a single session , with hidden kills not QTE kills just to see how long i could actually be bothered .
Replaying missions for the sake of it quickly loses it's appeal .

roostersrule2
01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Completely AGREE on that point & the rest of your post Sushi - Nice to see another player not blinded by senseless devotion to a short lived gaming experience - Long term , AC-3 offers very little .
And believe me - i've looked for anything that may extend the single player aspect ...............Including killing over 3000 bears in free roam in a single session , with hidden kills not QTE kills just to see how long i could actually be bothered .
Replaying missions for the sake of it quickly loses it's appeal .3000!!!!!!! In a single session?

pacmanate
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
That article was stupid.

Sushiglutton
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that's a good argument. Insult people who like the game.

Guess what, I've been playing video games since 1975, and I love the combat in Assassin's Creed 3. And I've played through the game 3 times with 100% sync, and I'm still playing.

It's okay if you don't like the game, but try to refrain from insulting people and trying to turn your opinions into facts.

I apologize, I should have phrased that better!

For me the combat lacks depth, variety and challenge, which makes it hard to stay enganged. I believe I have used pretty much all the tricks there is and I'm able to beat most fights in one flow. There is just not that much to it really. Games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Dark Souls, God of War, Darksiders, Arkham City all have more interesting and better designed combat systems imo, that I happily go back and play every now and then. For all those games I still feel like I have a lot more to learn (and likely never will).

The combat in AC3 focus too much on quantity. There are tons of different weapons and animations for each one, but systemically they all do the same thing. That is a flash over substance type of design that I find very unimpressive. There is also a lack of depth in the sense that you can't really string different moves together in meaningful ways. You can trip a guy and then kill him on the ground, but that's about it. I also find the lack of quickfiring for your tools disturbing in 2012.

wtcole53
02-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Like the old saying goes; "Everyone has an a***ole and an opinion", and I say that all of us are intitled to our opinion of this game!
I agree with each of the previous posters to a degree. And I can also agree with the thread starter.
AC3 is my first AC game, and it drives me nuts sometimes, but I love to play it!
I also expect to be playing it for at least a few more weeks (maybe more).
Sadly I only have a dial-up internet connection, so I may not be able to get all of the cool DLC you all have been speaking of.
I will get all the previous AC games as soon as I am able, and I anxiously look forward to the next title that is released!
For those of you who were not thrilled with AC3 just remember, at least for a little while you were in another world instead the same old boring real one!

pirate1802
02-13-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't know if this article is serious :confused:. First off, who the heck can still have fun with the side content? Deliver letters, assassination contracts, feathers, frontiersman mission. All of them were simply walking from point A to B and press a button (or not).

Just a friendly reminder: letters/assassinations/feathers =/= all the side content. There's more. Me personally enjoyed the frontiersmen, feathers, brawling missions.

It's funny how the author struggles to come up with ten positive points. For example he has one point called "Characters", then another called "Connor". He has one point called "Tree climbing", than another called "the frontier". He has one called "Side missions" and another callled "The Homestead". This guy is trying very hard to be positive, but he fails. The truth is that there is very little reason to keep playing the game. The gameplay is so shallow, restricted and lacks any form of challenge that only the most dedicated fans can find a reason to push themselves through all the mundane content again and again. I know I can't do it.

Maybe because according (as to me) to him the villains and other side characters deserve a separate section from Connor? Haytham anyway deserves a separate recognition according to me. Maybe because According to him (and me again) the Homestead is so refreshing the way it builds up from a piece of empty land to a living breathing village that it deserves a separate piece? The truth is whatever the heck we tell ourselves. For some it is AC3 is a bad game, for some it is a good game. Ultimately there is zero difference between both of them. Because the author's viewpoint differs from our own is no reason to bash him.

pirate1802
02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
Sadly, what I'm seeing is these forums are going the BSN way. Praise of the games, in any form is not allowed. If someone does that, he must be stupid or not serious.

Assassin_M
02-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Sadly, what I'm seeing is these forums are going the BSN way. Praise of the games, in any form is not allowed. If someone does that, he must be stupid or not serious.
I was going to say too yeah...

If the idea of criticizing someone who hated the game just PASSES by your head, you`ll get **** from everyone, but apparently it`s Okay to ridicule and insult people who thought it was a great game...

I believe we found a new type of fan-boys....MY OPINION FAN-BOYS..if they`re allowed to call those who loved the game and ridicule anyone who doesn't fanboys, I`m allowed to call those who worship their opinions and ridicule any else fanboys...

UrDeviant1
02-13-2013, 07:00 AM
I was going to say too yeah...

If the idea of criticizing someone who hated the game just PASSES by your head, you`ll get **** from everyone, but apparently it`s Okay to ridicule and insult people who thought it was a great game...

I believe we found a new type of fan-boys....MY OPINION FAN-BOYS..if they`re allowed to call those who loved the game and ridicule anyone who doesn't fanboys, I`m allowed to call those who worship their opinions and ridicule any else fanboys...

Yup, they're the narcissistic people among us. The type that don't listen to reason and think their opinions are better than everyone else's, and think that having an "opinion" means they can say any old stupid **** they like. Been seeing a lot of that around here. There's good and bad in the game, simple as that. But hey "that's just my opinion, so anything you say against it i will completely disregard" :rolleyes: ...

http://cdn1.goodmeme.net/store/user_photos/0/11/1710_you_have_the_right_to_your_opinion_700.jpg

Free_Hidings
02-13-2013, 07:07 AM
3000 Bears at an optimistic rate of 1 bear every 10 seconds = 8.3 hours total. That's one hell of a free roam sesh

I actually agree with the topic. People think it's cool to hate on AC3 it seems. Favourite games is always a matter of personal preference, but AC3 clearly has more content and variety than the others. Though I do think having free roam music would help make the errand type missions more enjoyable.

Loved AC3, have been playing through the others and though the stories are great, gameplay wise there is no comparison, and the most important factor in gaming for me is gameplay. I can get a story from a book or a movie (Not at all saying a strong story isn't important though)

Oh and I am a hopeless gamer and pretty **** at everything in life because I still enjoy AC3 combat a lot. Guess I am going nowhere real fast. (What a ****ing stupid thing to say)

Gi1t
02-13-2013, 08:48 AM
@UrDeviant1: That pretty much sums it up. You can hold whatever opinion you want and speak it if you please, but so can everyone else, and if your opinion clashes with someone else's or tries to shove it out of the way, they have a right to speak up too. Opinions like that aren't protected from being disagreed with.

@Free-Hidings: People think it's cool to hate on everything I'm afraid. One can only guess at how we arrived at this juncture, but it's where we stand. There are a lot of people who think hating on something automatically makes them smarter than everyone who likes it. It's a really stupid way of thinking that, unfortunately, survives because of the internet. It's a trend, anyway. People always consider it cool to hate on the new stuff and brag about how the older stuff (also one the subject of excessive scruitiny and ridicule), was sooooo much better. Nothing to do but roll your eyes at it all.

Sushiglutton
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
I apologize, that post was badly formulated!

I am very critical of the game, but I do try to be as respectful, specific and constructive with that criticism as I can. Sometimes (like itt) I slip up and write something that is condescending to other members and I'm sorry about that. However I do not agree that I don't allow praise, on the contrary I have praised many features of the game. Of course if someone has an opinion I disagree with, I may try to argue why I think they are wrong.

I do not think it's fair to call me a narcissist. I try to argue for my opinions to the best of my abilities, understanding that others may feel differently. For example I have had a very fun discussion with Farlander and we disagree on just about everything.

I can also assure you that I'm not "hating" because I think it's cool. I have been a member on forums for many other games like Arkham City, Vanquish and so on and have been very postitive about those games. I'm critical of AC3 because I think it has a lot of flaws in its gameplay and mission design. The reason I bother is because I truly love AC as a franchise. But I didn't enjoy playing AC3 and I'm trying to analyze why that is and what could be done to make it a more enjoyable game in the future.