PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Saga Trailer

White24Room
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Hi guys ! I made a saga trailer, hope you enjoy ! And you can check my other vids :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjM7rkib_TA

White24Room
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
No reactions ?

FirestarLuva
01-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Great! :D

White24Room
01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Thanks ;)

BATISTABUS
01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Wow, that was fantastic! Excellent job...it gave me chills. Favorited :D

White24Room
01-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks dude ;)

straty88
01-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Fantastic, I loved it! :)

Farlander1991
01-26-2013, 05:27 AM
EDIT: WTF is with the forum? Trying to format my message, but it keeps transforming it into one blob of text! Sorry about that, I really don't like big blobs of text, but I can't seem to do anything about it :( ORIGINAL MESSAGE: The trailer is really flawed.First, I want to say that I'm not just saying 'OMG, YOU SUCK!' and leaving. I am providing constructive criticism, which I hope you're going to use to make even more awesome videos. You're good at editing and at synching shots with music. That's great. However, your trailer doesn't have structure, it's a collection of shots and phrases. If I show it to somebody who doesn't know anything about Assassin's Creed, they won't understand what the hell is going on.Now, to everything I say now, there are exceptions. There is no single rule of how to make a good trailer. However, if there's one thing trailers ALWAYS do, is make the viewer intrigued, and craving for more. Usually, but not always, it's done by:1. Setting up the main character(s) and/or setting (you've actually did well with the character, the beginning of the trailer was good)2. Setting up the goal (motivation)3. Setting up a conflict that hinders the achievement of the goal.(and note, you can cheat somewhat, like, let's say, the goal doesn't have to be the actual goal of the game, trailers do that a lot of times, thanks to the power of editing... the main goal is to intrigue)So, your trailer. We have Desmond Miles and Lucy. You introduced them, and Desmond doesn't want to be considered to be a part of the Assassin's. Okay, so, what's next? Well, he does something, and... he's either in the dream, or in the past. Is he a time traveller? We don't know, the trailer doesn't tell us. There's something about Subject 16 and a dream. So, it's like Inception? Dreams? But then there are memories mentioned? What? And who are those other assassins? Somebody's angry for death of several people, and then somebody else asks why he got spared... What's the point of all that? What do they want to do? What's the conflict? They're fighting somebody. Who are they fighting, and why?Kind of, see what I mean? You know, let's take Assassin's Creed 3 Connor's story trailer. Everything's clear:1. The main character's Connor, a child who got his village burned down and trained to become an Assassin.2. He needs to protect the village from people who want to take the land, he made a promise (and while that's kind of a side goal in the game itself, for the sake of the trailer, that's THE goal)3. He is being warned by the mentor to not to destroy everything by trying to save it.3.5. The people Connor's fighting for are going to turn against him. Will it prevent him from achieving the goal? Maybe.And, you know, it does not reveal all the cards from the game, but you get the general idea of what and why is going on and are intrigued. Heck, the Templars are not even mentioned in the AC3 Connor's story trailer, but that doesn't make the trailer any less confusing.And, I know this is a shameless self-plug. Honestly, if I actually would've seen any good Desmond trailer that's not mine, I would link to it, but... I haven't. And the only other AC videos that I can recommend are hamps19's music videos (they're EXTREMELY AWESOME, btw, you should totally watch them if you haven't yet!), but music videos are not the same as trailers, so it wouldn't help much. Anyway, here's a Desmond AC trailer that I made quite a while ago, in 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWgSOFeduKM It's not perfect, and there are a few things that I don't like myself, but:1. The main character's Desmond Miles and he is to use a machine called Animus to relive the life of his ancestors.2. They require some information from the past to stop the Templars.3. The bleeding effect and Desmond losing gripe with reality is going to be a large problem for achieving the goal (as it turned out in the game, it really wasn't and there was absolutely no pay-off to the Bleeding Effect, but... oh well, you get the point :p )The story of the assassins' themselves is not touched in that trailer, they're there more for the eternal Assassin vs. Trailer conflict and epic moments. If I would try to weave them a little bit more into the trailer, things would just get a lot more confusing.Now, you don't have to tell about Desmond's story the same way I did, obviously. And there's more than one way to make a good trailer, and it doesn't necessarily have to hit the points that I outlined (a good example is the UK Assassin's Creed 3 Launch Trailer, the one with Imagine Dragons - Radioactive music, it's made in a different way). But there has to be a general understanding of what's going on and why that would intrigue the viewer. Your trailer doesn't intrigue.Also, if you want to touch upon Altair, Ezio and Connor, not just on Desmond (and judging by the trailer I get a feeling that you do), then I would recommend to use the motivations that are associated with them: Altair - Duty, Ezio - Revenge, Connor - Justice. But at least have them named so a person who doesn't know anything would understand that those are different people with different motivations, but they're all assassins. And also weave it into the main goal of defeating the Templars/saving the world/whatever you want to focus on as the goal, you know.I hope you will find this piece of criticism useful. I wish you good luck and look forward to watching your future work :)

roostersrule2
01-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Amazing.

MT4K
01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
@Farlander - The Forum should have been fixed by now. If you are still experiencing problems please try to clear your browser cookies.

On topic - It's a nicely done video. Good job!

White24Room
01-26-2013, 04:44 PM
First I want to thank you for your constructive criticism, It will help me a lot.

To sum up, I should create something more structured and explanatory ?

You can check my other videos, they're tributes to the assassin, hope you like it :)

White24Room
01-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Up

Farlander1991
01-26-2013, 08:02 PM
@MT4K - Thanks, clearing cookies fixed everything!

@Clement4992 - Well, you know, since you've mentioned tributes, I think when you're making videos you need to decide if you're making a tribute or a trailer.

The biggest difference, is that a tribute video is just an author's appreciation of something. Usually for a specific audience (from a fan to fans, for example, and for the creators too... basically, people who already know what everything's about). And it can be just a highlight reel for all anyone cares. And as a tribute video, your video is just fine. As I said, it's nicely edited, it's got nice moments, some of the iconic and memorable scenes from the franchise, and several of my most favourite quotes from the series that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I hear them :)

But as a trailer, it doesn't work. Trailer is a promotional material by definition, meaning that it's audience is everybody, ESPECIALLY people who are not fans yet. And yes, I would say that for it to be a good trailer, you do need more structure and make it a little more clear... And it doesn't necessarily have to be dialogue or narration, visuals are powerful too (like, in AC3 UK Launch Trailer I've already mentioned, we get that the child who got his village burned grows up into this Assassin in a matter of seconds, thanks only to the visual editing and the music that was playing).

I would say, imagine that you're telling a story (but without an ending to that story, because, hell, who needs to end the story in trailers? :P ). And choose or make up a plot thread that works for you or you think is going to be interesting (just, remember, thanks to the power of editing, it doesn't necessarily have to be the exact plot of the game :) ).

itsamea-mario
01-26-2013, 08:16 PM
May i ask, what music did you use?

Like the video, i would have probably used different scenes in places, and the voices are either too scarce, or too common. but that's just me. it's still good.

Edit:Nvm, Paradise awaits.

Toa TAK
01-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Great video! I think it could use a focused point, but beyond that, the editing is well done.

White24Room
01-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone ! :)

RinoTheBouncer
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Awesome job, man!

White24Room
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Thank you :)