PDA

View Full Version : Why is Connor White in ALL promotional art?

pacmanate
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Here are some examples, and don't say it is lighting, structurally he has a white person face compared to In Game Connor. It is rather annoying and I don't understand why they feel the need to make him white?!

CGI Trailer - Obviously has a white persons facial structure, skin tone is also white
http://static9.cdn.ubi.com/en-GB/images/hp-topslot_AC3-cgi-trailertcm2153795.jpg

Boxart - Notice Facial Hair aswell - Also notice how the Boxart is wrong, showing Connor with two bracers instead of one (Never understood this)

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120812182761/assassinscreed/images/e/ec/Assassin's_Creed_III_Cover.jpg

Probably the best one depicting him as a white person

http://media.t3.com/img/resized/as/xl_Assassins-Creed-3-Connor-Hero-624.jpg

Lets compare the above with In Game Connor, you know, the Half Mohawk one.

http://constantinflux.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/connor-kenway.png

Same as Above

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Assassins-Creed-3-Trailer-Connor-Pistol.jpg

And White again

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/486022_513697708671215_923265475_n.jpg

Sushiglutton
01-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Well spotted! That is weird indeed :confused:. I guess only Ubi can explain why, but it's a bit fishy.

BATISTABUS
01-24-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm not a fan of white-washing, but I think you're digging too much here. Half of the game's marketing revolved around a Native American protagonist....they're not trying to trick anyone into thinking he's white. The in-game model doesn't always match his CGI counterpart, but that was often the case with Ezio as well.

Also, he is half British...

silvermercy
01-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Because all those promotional images you linked were EARLY Connor. I believe I've read his look was still under design back then.
LATER they changed him. Also, it seems they mixed early with later images together.

(In the new pic he doesn't look white to me at all actually... he looks half-white as his DNA is supposed to be)

Abeonis
01-25-2013, 12:14 AM
I think it's just a case a bad lighting...

montagemik
01-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Here are some examples, and don't say it is lighting, structurally he has a white person face compared to In Game Connor. It is rather annoying and I don't understand why they feel the need to make him white?!

Target Audience had lots to do with how most of the promotional marketing content was Described , made & depicted , in more than one aspect .
You know the answer to be honest .
Most articles i read before release described Connor as ' Half English -Half native american' ..............Not as a Native american protagonist -
So from that I honestly expected to see a more English/european looking character from all the descriptions & images we were given .

But after playing the whole story it wasn't difficult to see certain aspects of the history were a little sensitive let's say & others were barely mentioned at all.
And they were making this game for 3 years - but so inaccurate with promo stuff.

Altair & Ezio's yearly outing promo art & CGI's by comparison were pretty accurate to the in game character depictions. Funny huh ? .

FirestarLuva
01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
In the CGI trailers and early promotional art, they used the earlier version of him, the smaller, leaner one. In one of the making videos they said they changed him so he doesn't look the same body-wise as Ezio and Altair. Though, in the newest pic he looks quite accurate actually. Half native, half british.

CalgaryJay
01-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Target Audience had lots to do with how most of the promotional marketing content was Described , made & depicted , in more than one aspect .
You know the answer to be honest .
Most articles i read before release described Connor as ' Half English -Half native american' ..............Not as a Native american protagonist -
So from that I honestly expected to see a more English/european looking character from all the descriptions & images we were given .

Kinda like why do pictures of Jesus always depict him as pasty white (and blue eyed! For a southern Israeli?? I doubt his hair was poker straight like that either). It's just silly.

To be fair, I remember Achilles mentioning in the game that Connor could blend with the crowd better, as he appeared more Italian/Spanish. But true, he certainly looked darker in the game than in those promos.

montagemik
01-25-2013, 12:49 AM
In the CGI trailers and early promotional art, they used the earlier version of him, the smaller, leaner one. In one of the making videos they said they changed him so he doesn't look the same body-wise as Ezio and Altair. Though, in the newest pic he looks quite accurate actually. Half native, half british.

And their excuse for the Box art is ........................???? 3 minutes in photoshop & e-mail the new image to the printers - Hardly difficult to fit into the schedule at some point. & resin models that were sold with certain editions ?? .............. Whitewash to cater to their target audience, along with many decisions made for AC-3 .
They can claim what they like however.

VitaminsXYZ
01-25-2013, 01:10 AM
I think they might've kept that as the box art simply because it looks badass. lol I've seen several games do this, too, where early art ends up being used as the cover. And plus, most of the images that were posted, as FirestarLuva already mentioned, were really early versions of him when he was made to look a bit more like his British side. (Except for the King Washington piece - I think he looks like how he should in that one.)
I'm just glad that his Native features were played up a lot more in the actual game.

dAnNyKiLlZ
01-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Nevermind, read it wrong.
I guess its a little hard to tell but yes the facial structures do seem more as a white person.

Assassin_M
01-25-2013, 05:26 AM
Because the entire world is racist

Turul.
01-25-2013, 05:54 AM
i wouldn't say he necessarily looks white, and if so it's poor judgement by the marketing staff at ubisoft.

we can handle a non-white protagonist!

pirate1802
01-25-2013, 06:44 AM
I thought in the bx art he looked sufficiently non-while... *looks at his box* Yeah. And also he doesn't look that white in the TOKG pic either.

Though in other cases you're right, he looks white.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Why does he "appear" to be white? Because they are artistic renders, insanely detailed..art that in game anything can't yet match..natives don't exactly match the shade of disney cartoons.
IF they did this on purpose (honestly I don't see it at all, he looks native in all picture shown) it was probably to surprise people...*SPOILER* I mean you start off as Kenway, thats who I thought was the main character until i was pulled out of the animus.
Either way, does it matter?
I don't think anyone would be offended by a native man in a game or refuse to buy it..I mean the commercials are a dead give away you're not "white man" ....

IronEagl3
01-25-2013, 09:20 PM
I like how as Connor progresses through the game, his looks turn from fair skinned English, to full on Native American face. Like in the last epilogue mission where Connor goes back to his village, his face was so detailed and shaped like a typical Native American. Some people call it ugly, but to me the more realistic and detailed a face, the better. Even if they are uglier.