PDA

View Full Version : RS Sales to date

KinchBlade
01-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Saw a link to this on another forum today - thought people might be interested. Looks like good numbers to me... http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=rocksmith

Duggle-SD
01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Wow, Xbox and PS3 at 1.5 million but PC is only 50, 000 after 3 months. That seems low. I wonder if they think it was a waste of time porting to PC. I appreciate it though, since I bought the PC version. And... I wonder how many of the 50,000 are Xbox and PS3 users switching over to PC.

crashyoung
01-19-2013, 08:08 PM
PC sales might be better if it didn't have to work with windows.

Duggle-SD
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM

True, and it's Vista/Win7 only. But 1.5 million total sales is looking pretty decent for a smaller enterprise like the Rocksmith team. Looks good for us with continued support and DLC.

But like I said, I'm glad I switched over, I don't have friends on Xbox but a ton of friends in Steam. Now they can all think I'm a rocker, lol.

SeattleSauve
01-19-2013, 10:07 PM
VGchartz might also not have accurate PC numbers. We've heard from a few sources, including HMX that VGChartz numbers are often very wrong.

mbarsott
01-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Yes, the PC numer seem too low. But if that is from the end of the month of November, it may be.

KinchBlade
01-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Yes, the PC numer seem too low. But if that is from the end of the month of November, it may be.

I hope you're right because if there is to be an RS2 and those PC numbers are accurate they might not bother porting it.

I've jumped to PC now and don't want to go back to console - especially since I now buy PC DLC - aaargh.

When a friend of mine tried to buy it for PC at Christmas they seemed all sold out - that would seem to indicate PC was selling well. Unless they only ordered a few copies to start with of course...

Jasta_man
01-20-2013, 12:53 PM

I'd consider getting the computer version if it played on an Apple, but I understand why they don't port there. I see lots of MacBooks, but I don't know too many people who use Apple desktops.

mbarsott
01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
I'd consider getting the computer version if it played on an Apple, but I understand why they don't port there. I see lots of MacBooks, but I don't know too many people who use Apple desktops.

I don't see why you could not play it on an Apple laptop. I play on a PC laptop. Hopefully they will do it in the future. I think I've seen UBI games that run on Mac, so I guess they have what they need to do it. The only thing in the way is probably a strong business reason.

Brick235
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
People are playing RS on Macs without issues. Using some kind of software like Bootcamp or something. I'm not a Mac guy so I'm not sure but you could search around here and find it.

armoury_R1
01-21-2013, 02:16 AM
FWIW, I did use Bootcamp on my MacBookPro to try and play the PC version, but since I went and installed Win 8 instead of 7, I can't get it to work. Since my PS3 still works fine, I haven't really been trying to trouble-shoot it since, might try a complete reinstall when I have the time.

I did get the distinct impression that the PC version wasn't that widely sold: I happened to be in NYC during the release of the PC version, and on and just after release date I went looking for it, but most outlets (Game Stop, Best Buy) I went to didn't have it at all. One Game Stop outlet checked their database and pointed me to a particular outlet which apparently did have a few copies, and when I got to that one, the sales asst didn't know anything about it at all, but when she checked she found one copy in a storage drawer. So I wouldn't be entirely surprised if PC sales have been less-than-stellar.

Then again, since it's also on the Steam on-line platform, perhaps that's why hardcopies were difficult to come by?

SeattleSauve
01-21-2013, 02:46 AM
I didn't even think to get a hard copy for the PC version... Just downloaded it online. That's why I'm wondering if VGChartz is very innacurate.. They might track in-store sales, and might not have insight into steam sales. Who knows though.

RSDAVE
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm sure the PC numbers are better than this. Just look at people who had the game on console and bought the game afterwards on PC.

Amaist
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
FWIW, I did use Bootcamp on my MacBookPro to try and play the PC version, but since I went and installed Win 8 instead of 7, I can't get it to work. Since my PS3 still works fine, I haven't really been trying to trouble-shoot it since, might try a complete reinstall when I have the time.

There's your mistake. Windows 8 is an abomination. I work in IT and I can't use it. It is the least intuitive OS out there. Solaris is more intuitive than Windows 8. Windows 7 is actually a decent operating system.

Then again, since it's also on the Steam on-line platform, perhaps that's why hardcopies were difficult to come by?

Precisely. If I am going to spend money on a PC game it will be through Steam. What is the point of buying the game in a box and risk losing or breaking the disk? I would then have to download a copy from less reputable sources. Or just get a piece of software to make it work without the disk.

I can just buy it on Steam and stop worrying. System reinstall? Just click install. New computer? Just click install. What to show it to a friend? Login with your account and click install then logout when done. Patch released? Steam doesn't even ask you and just applies it.

Physical copies of games are going to die off soon. Yes, it will kill the used game market, but when you can wait for a Steam sale and get the game for half price or better, who cares? It will make the market better because the added convenience will drive down piracy and bring us better prices. A huge portion of the price of a boxed game is to pay for physical distribution. Making the box, bringing it to the distributor warehouse, paying for the warehouse, bringing to the game store, paying for the game store. All those steps cost money that the developer never sees. It's pointless effort and cost that adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game.

Whatever information we can gather on Rocksmith sales is irrelevant. Ubisoft knows exactly how many copies they sold and any decisions on funding, patches, sequels, DLC are done by them.

I love playing Rocksmith and I love it even more since the PC version came out, especially because it's on Steam.

LvlNinety9
01-23-2013, 02:12 AM
[QUOTE=Amaist;Physical copies of games are going to die off soon. Yes, it will kill the used game market, but when you can wait for a Steam sale and get the game for half price or better, who cares? It will make the market better because the added convenience will drive down piracy and bring us better prices. A huge portion of the price of a boxed game is to pay for physical distribution. Making the box, bringing it to the distributor warehouse, paying for the warehouse, bringing to the game store, paying for the game store. All those steps cost money that the developer never sees. It's pointless effort and cost that adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game.[/QUOTE]

Actually this isn't entirely true. With the release of media going straight to digital it will make piracy even easier. Yes a portion of game prices do go to creating the box. But developers do not pay for the game store nor do they pay for shipping. I have yet to see any sort of distributor who does not add on a shipping charge and I used to work at a major distributor. The warehouse, unless it is owned by the company that makes the games, actually buys the physical copies from the developer out of their own pocket. Once the developers are done making the game and the packaging they are pretty much done with their end. Once it hits that point they charge whoever will distribute the product for them then add on a shipping charge to that distributor. That distributor then takes that product and then in turn sells it to the game stores and then on top of that charges them for shipping. The game store who then has paid twice for shipping and for the product itself then creates a mark up so that they can profit from said product. Basically we are paying for a product that has been since marked up more then a few times so that business can make their profit.

Releasing media digitally is in a sense easier yes but for those people who are less then credible, they will find ways to obtain said media crack it then distribute it to the public. It's a vicious cycle and will be never ending. Piracy will always be around and physical copies will always be marked up more then you could possibly imagine. Pirated media is one of the reasons why game prices have gone up. I remember when a game was less then half the price they are now.

LovesIbanez
01-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Guys, it's VGChartz - that is, the site that uses made-up numbers. Of course, they don't know sales numbers for Rocksmith - no one does, except Ubisoft.

HadOne2Many
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM
I think the PC version has the longest legs. Once word gets out to non-gamers about this being a tool for learning rather than a game people who would never consider buying a console will start to purchase it. I can see the PC continuing to sell very well for years.

Comrade_Suhov
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
Vhchartz do not count digital downloads at all. So it show only boxed version sales, not purchases made directly at Steam. And since Steam dominate PC market for a while, it may look like on PC there are always less copies sold.

toymachinesh
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
I think you can actually see the ranking of Rocksmith's sales on Steam though. Best way of finding out how many people own Rocksmith on PS3/360?

Count the number of people on the Ducks leaderboard :)

SeattleSauve
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
I think you can actually see the ranking of Rocksmith's sales on Steam though. Best way of finding out how many people own Rocksmith on PS3/360?

Count the number of people on the Ducks leaderboard :)

I haven't played ducks since the leaderboard was reset (or any mini game), so make sure to add one to that count :)

Edit: I'm on xbox, so add one to the 'xbox' count.

SeattleSauve
01-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I think you can actually see the ranking of Rocksmith's sales on Steam though.

How do you do that? They have an achievements list by percentages (only 90% of people who bought Rocksmith made it through soundcheck for instance). They also show the top 100 titles ranked by number of people playing currently, and also show peak for the day for those 100 titles... But I have not been able to see a ranking that has Rocksmith in it.. I'm new to steam, so just don't know where that would be.

Amaist
01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Actually this isn't entirely true. With the release of media going straight to digital it will make piracy even easier. Yes a portion of game prices do go to creating the box. But developers do not pay for the game store nor do they pay for shipping. I have yet to see any sort of distributor who does not add on a shipping charge and I used to work at a major distributor. The warehouse, unless it is owned by the company that makes the games, actually buys the physical copies from the developer out of their own pocket. Once the developers are done making the game and the packaging they are pretty much done with their end. Once it hits that point they charge whoever will distribute the product for them then add on a shipping charge to that distributor. That distributor then takes that product and then in turn sells it to the game stores and then on top of that charges them for shipping. The game store who then has paid twice for shipping and for the product itself then creates a mark up so that they can profit from said product. Basically we are paying for a product that has been since marked up more then a few times so that business can make their profit.

Releasing media digitally is in a sense easier yes but for those people who are less then credible, they will find ways to obtain said media crack it then distribute it to the public. It's a vicious cycle and will be never ending. Piracy will always be around and physical copies will always be marked up more then you could possibly imagine. Pirated media is one of the reasons why game prices have gone up. I remember when a game was less then half the price they are now.

Trying to completely eradicate piracy is pointless and only hurts customers who choose to pay for the product. One of the biggest motivations driving people to get pirated content is availability and convenience. Why should I physically go somewhere to get a game I want and risk not even finding it? And with many games I have to endure the idiocy of having to have the disk in the drive to even play the game. Then if I damage or lose the disc I am SOL. A pirated copy is much more convenient. I get it faster, I can redownload it, it's always available, doesn't ask me to keep the disc in the drive (although, this is thankfully dying off).

Things like Netflix and Steam are doing a lot more against piracy than the armies of lawyers and a bunch of crippling security measures will ever hope to do.

I am more than happy to pay a reasonable price for software but it has to be convenient.

For example, I am a big fan of the BBC TV show Top Gear. I'll be more than willing to throw 3 bucks at them to have the latest episode the day after it airs in UK. But no, they want me to pay for much older episodes. Well, I know where to get the new one anyway. They just flushed 3 bucks down the drain. Same thing with most live sports. I'll gladly pay to watch Formula 1 races in HD here in Canada over my internet connection. But their useless lawyers and all those dinosaur TV and media companies can't get their heads out of their behinds long enough to figure out how to allow me to give them money.

I don't have any real links or proof that digital distribution gives the creators a bigger proportion of paying users but I know that when it works like Steam I am a happy paying user. I also have about 80% if not more of the DLC songs.

LvlNinety9
01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Trying to completely eradicate piracy is pointless and only hurts customers who choose to pay for the product. One of the biggest motivations driving people to get pirated content is availability and convenience. Why should I physically go somewhere to get a game I want and risk not even finding it? And with many games I have to endure the idiocy of having to have the disk in the drive to even play the game. Then if I damage or lose the disc I am SOL. A pirated copy is much more convenient. I get it faster, I can redownload it, it's always available, doesn't ask me to keep the disc in the drive (although, this is thankfully dying off).

Things like Netflix and Steam are doing a lot more against piracy than the armies of lawyers and a bunch of crippling security measures will ever hope to do.

I am more than happy to pay a reasonable price for software but it has to be convenient.

For example, I am a big fan of the BBC TV show Top Gear. I'll be more than willing to throw 3 bucks at them to have the latest episode the day after it airs in UK. But no, they want me to pay for much older episodes. Well, I know where to get the new one anyway. They just flushed 3 bucks down the drain. Same thing with most live sports. I'll gladly pay to watch Formula 1 races in HD here in Canada over my internet connection. But their useless lawyers and all those dinosaur TV and media companies can't get their heads out of their behinds long enough to figure out how to allow me to give them money.

I don't have any real links or proof that digital distribution gives the creators a bigger proportion of paying users but I know that when it works like Steam I am a happy paying user. I also have about 80% if not more of the DLC songs.

This is why I am thankful for things like STEAM. It provides me what I want and lets me support the developers. I have a ton of games that I bought from STEAM and it's great. I wish piracy wasn't as big a problem as it is, but there are always those out there who want to get things for free. I can't fully blame those that put out the pirated media though. If it wasn't for people wanting something for just the price of an internet connection it probably wouldn't be so big of a problem.

KinchBlade
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Har! Apologies for posting a link to a site which (it seems) presents inaccurate information. I'm such a gullible fool for thinking that if one actually went to the bother of building a website dedicated to tracking video game sales that one might also actually gather all the data material to those statistics. What next for Kinch - the Nigerian Lottery emails?

Work is busy right now - no guitar at all!

toymachinesh
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
It's not your fault, thanks to the NPD results being hidden since 2010 we really don't have much to go on if a game (in the US) falls outside the top 10 selling software titles and even in that respect we still don't see exact numbers. Only game industry insiders get to see them and they are bound to a strict NDA (from what I understand).

VGChartz isn't accurate (http://strata.oreilly.com/2008/06/data-on-the-web-vgchartz-vs-np.html) but it's really the best metric we have short of leaderboard counting (on Ducks) or "most played" on Steam.

mbarsott
01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I am sure UBI has those numbers, month by month, for each platform, and also for each DLC on each platform. Is it secret, or can it be released? I am definitely curious about it.

toymachinesh
01-25-2013, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7t52KkmOMA

LovesIbanez
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Vhchartz do not count digital downloads at all. So it show only boxed version sales, not purchases made directly at Steam. And since Steam dominate PC market for a while, it may look like on PC there are always less copies sold.
VGChartz don't count, they ESTIMATE. How are their estimations better than mine, it's hard to tell.

P.S. To make my post slightly more useful, I think I remember this bit of info from last year - "Ubisoft is very pleased with the $40mln revenue they got from Rocksmith in North America". Here, let me give you a link:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/tidbits-from-todays-stabby-ubisoft-earnings-call/3988/

So, it was last February, before the EU release and before the PC release. I think it's safe to say that the sales of Rocksmith are maybe close to 2 million now, and the DLC releases should have gathered some revenue as well. What I'm trying to say is that Ubisoft must be very interested in making a sequel to Rocksmith and that is all that matters to us, right? :)

LvlNinety9
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
VGChartz don't count, they ESTIMATE. How are their estimations better than mine, it's hard to tell.

P.S. To make my post slightly more useful, I think I remember this bit of info from last year - "Ubisoft is very pleased with the $40mln revenue they got from Rocksmith in North America". Here, let me give you a link:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/tidbits-from-todays-stabby-ubisoft-earnings-call/3988/

So, it was last February, before the EU release and before the PC release. I think it's safe to say that the sales of Rocksmith are maybe close to 2 million now, and the DLC releases should have gathered some revenue as well. What I'm trying to say is that Ubisoft must be very interested in making a sequel to Rocksmith and that is all that matters to us, right? :)

Really interested in knowing what it is now after the EU and PC releases.

Duggle-SD
01-29-2013, 08:35 PM

That's great, it's nice that Rocksmith was one of the titles that carried them through and helped make up for some of the bad titles.

Also, THQ just dissolved in bankruptcy court and UBI spent some of their profits on THQ Montreal and on the Southpark license.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/24/thq-dissolves-auctions-off-properties-heres-who-got-what/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
http://kotaku.com/5978425/thq-is-getting-sold-off-today++heres-everything-we-know

It's strange that this doesn't show up in the news forums section.

ravey68
01-31-2013, 06:28 AM
If PC sales are down, I hope Ubisoft recognise it may well not be to do with the PC market per se.

For a start, I understand the console versions came out first, so a whole proportion of potential purchasers who own both a console and a PC may have already bought it, damaging the PC sales. Had they been released at the same time it may well be a different story.

The other thing, when I went to buy RS pre-xmas, here in Australia, I found all the typical PC game stores were not stocking it. One said that there had been problems with the serial code on boxed copies being missing or something, so required a lot of them to be returned to the distributors. They claim that damaged interest in the product. That said, some seem to have problems deciding where to put the stock on shelves. I went to EB Games and asked could they order a copy (having noted there were none on the shelf). The assistant then told me she had two copies in the storeroom, and promptly brought one out. The other still doesn't seem to grace the shelf.

Incidentally, I happily buy through Steam, and would have done so here too, except for the issue with the Ubisoft cable. Seemed daft to download it on Steam, only to then need to wait for the cable to be sent from the States anyway (finding someone to stock the cable alone was even harder than finding someone stocking the game). I have bought plenty of DLC from Steam though.....

KinchBlade
01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
I'd forgotten the whole serial # debacle. - that certainly can't have helped PC sales. Your point about the availabiltiy of the cable is certainly a good one too. They're lucky they sold any at all lol