PDA

View Full Version : FC2 comparison...

Far_Cry2_Fan
01-19-2013, 05:12 AM
just for the heck of it, I fired up FC2 (single player or course) for a comparison.GPU temps 11 degrees cooler (C), frame rate 60 Vsync, 53% GPU utilization (GTX 580), and a fluidity unmatched by ANY settings in FC3. Still, the best FPS game ever.The troubling part was having to re-learn the controls. Same PC, same game series, why the wholesale changes to the controls?As stated several times prior, apparently the FC3 dev team put too much weight on the complaints against FC2, and created something almost completely foreign to its fore-bearer.Still after all these years, FC2 blows away FC3 in smoothness, action, and is even on par detail-wise. So, while I definitely enjoy FC3 on it's 4th play-through, the reality is I can't wait to finish the current FC3 AND FC2 games so I can start FC2 all over again.I mention this because FC2 is so very much more fluid and "correct", that by comparison, FC3 is left wanting for the old FC2 team to come back in and clean it up. Yes, I'm sorry, that is a bit harsh, but the difference is truly remarkable. Personally, I'd like to meat up with those loud-mouths that complained so much about FC2 that FC3 is what we endedd up with, and they'd not soon forget the real-life beat-downs they'd have recieved. At this point, trying to compare the two games, it's actually hard to imagine it's the same company. And we have the FC2 whiners to thank for that....DAS

Far_Cry2_Fan
01-19-2013, 05:14 AM
Why no fomatting on new posts? My post look fine as replies but not as originals?Ugh...DAS

hammerhorde
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
I really don`t see what you are talking about. To me they both run the same on my pc, nice and smooth with no screen lag. The both play pretty much identicle. I also don`t understand what you mean by "fluid and correct." The only defining factors between the two games for me is the color palette and few new bells and whistles the newer game got, Everything else feels just like fc2 to me.

matty101yttam
01-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I really don`t see what you are talking about. To me they both run the same on my pc, nice and smooth with no screen lag. The both play pretty much identicle. I also don`t understand what you mean by "fluid and correct." The only defining factors between the two games for me is the color palette and few new bells and whistles the newer game got, Everything else feels just like fc2 to me. Nice..you can tell the difference between the engine and the graphics/setting, most can't.(just keep in mind some are getting stuttering and technical issues) And i find it funny how people say "its nothing like FC2", it honestly makes me laugh, farcry series does not have any commonality, there's no ongoing story,no shared environment or conflict...nothing, the only thing they all share is the fact that some random nobody turns up in a bad area and kills the bad guys till they're dead. Farcry really means 'random fps made by Ubisoft' if there's anything it was about, that would be it!!

Far_Cry2_Fan
01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
HammerrHoarde...I didn't mean graphics so much as smooth flow, the gigantic loads for cutscenes in FC3 seems a bit extreme and interrupts the flow of gameplay far too much.Granted they are really pretty good quality, but the load times just get obtrusive.By strict comparison FC2 just seems smoother and well polished overall.DAS

slimpickins2010
01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I didn't get on with FC2 and I had the complete edition which came in a lovely big box with a map, book and machete. I might be exaggerating about the machete but I really wanted to like it but didn't. It was really hard work, like having a second job but without the fun. However having enjoyed FC3 while thinking it was a bit easy even on the hardest setting, I've decided I need to give FC2 another try, partly because of the number of people saying how good it is. So thanks for this thread and the others like it.

hammerhorde
01-20-2013, 07:20 AM
HammerrHoarde...I didn't mean graphics so much as smooth flow, the gigantic loads for cutscenes in FC3 seems a bit extreme and interrupts the flow of gameplay far too much.Granted they are really pretty good quality, but the load times just get obtrusive.By strict comparison FC2 just seems smoother and well polished overall.DAS I think they did that with the cutscenes to make it a more memorable experience so you could identify more with what was going on so you would actually feel like Jason instead of being the noname character you felt like in fc2. I liked the cutscenes and didn`t mind watching them the first playthrough. I do want though the ability to skip them instead of having to sit through them for every playthrough. I allready know whats going to happen I just wanna hit esc and get on with it. Unless there are more topless citra scenes, they never get old.

hammerhorde
01-20-2013, 07:40 AM
I didn't get on with FC2 and I had the complete edition which came in a lovely big box with a map, book and machete. I might be exaggerating about the machete but I really wanted to like it but didn't. It was really hard work, like having a second job but without the fun. However having enjoyed FC3 while thinking it was a bit easy even on the hardest setting, I've decided I need to give FC2 another try, partly because of the number of people saying how good it is. So thanks for this thread and the others like it. FC2 was a good solid shooter. But that was all it was. I played through it many times but there was really no exciting driving factor to make you want to keep playing to see what happenes next because there wasn`t anything to beginwith. It was an interesting story but it didn`t have any pop to it. The whole story to the game was to get the Jackel, but that got wrecked with malaria, find diamonds to buy new guns and that was it. A few neat plot twists but nothing to make you sit back and say WTF like alot of the moments in fc3. Still a good game to satisfy your shooter itch if that`s all you want from it.

slimpickins2010
01-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I've fired up FC2 again and I can see why fans are annoyed by FC3. The contrast is like Nirvana vs the Beach Boys or perhaps, Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas, both are great in their own ways but the differences are so great that hardly sequels.

And I'm enjoying FC2 a lot more than I did the first time round, perhaps I've got better at this sort of game. It's still hard work, which isn't a bad thing, it isn't as much fun but perhaps feels more rewarding when you succeed.

I know what hammerhorde means about the FC2 story and the FC3 cutscenes.