PDA

View Full Version : What aspects of AC3 should remain?

BaronVonES
01-18-2013, 11:49 PM
I could complain about the problems in AC3 till the cows come home. Thankfully there isn't a need to do that because pretty much every flaw in it has been exhaustively discussed by members of all types throughout this forum. But soon I realised something: a lot of the problems in AC3 (and indeed its predecessors) came as a result of simply not leaving certain things alone that actually worked from the previous games.

There is no denying that most members here can identify something positive in the game that they actually enjoyed. We all have something that we can identify and say 'YES, that works. Either don't change it or make very careful improvements to it'. This topic is about those things. In short - what parts of Assassin's Creed 3 did you think worked well and shouldn't be removed or drastically altered in future installments?

For clarification: this thread isn't meant to serve as a complaining thread about what is lacking in AC3 (we know enough about that), but to look at the positive aspects of the game and where is succeeds. Also, feel free to discuss how these aspects could be explored in future games - they just need to be elements that you fundamentally enjoyed/found engaging/have respect for Ubisoft adding in.

Example: Context of the Liberation Missions
Something I loved the heck out of was the context of the liberation missions. I found it a bit strange how in Brotherhood and Revelations the only way to liberate the city was to help potential recruits directly when they were harassed. Revelations improved on this a little bit with slightly different missions (like the pick-pocketing recruit), but generally wasn't different enough. AC3 took this context and extended it so much further: defending farmers on their land, preventing people from being evicted from their homes, preventing the spread of smallpox etc...it all made it feel as though you were tending to the city's wounds and were actually liberating it. Yes, the core mechanics were essentially the same: murder something (or a group of things) or relocate something, but the frame in which these missions were conducted made me care a lot more about them and the people they affected than I did in Brotherhood or Revelations. In addition to all that, making your recruits come to you only after liberating areas of the city made me appreciate them as allies more, because I had to work harder to win them over. It's a shame that they couldn't be more relevant to the main story missions. I'd see it only as a step backward if the liberation system reverted to the prior model.

What examples would you like to share?

Dan Pen 97
01-19-2013, 12:28 AM
I think the people should come to you when you need to the missions. But i do not know why they did not add that in the end. :( not to worry oh.

SuperLoboMau 25
01-19-2013, 12:51 AM
The new mechanic of play should continue, just make the combat a little harder, peharps removing the kill's sequence. Beyond this is just continue with a good main campaign and making good side missions.

Dan Pen 97
01-19-2013, 12:53 AM
The new mechanic of play should continue, just make the combat a little harder, peharps removing the kill's sequence. Beyond this is just continue with a good main campaign and making good side missions.

I like that a lot good job saying that. :)

slade109
01-19-2013, 03:56 AM
The new camera and aiming system, I can't get over how much I love the camera compared to the other games, especially when you leave the lock on it looks so cinematic and all that junk. The vault moves, climbing trees(idk what it is, but i'm obsessed with it), the rope dart(make even more ways to use it), the bow!(I don't know about you, but I prefer a bow over a crossbow. Seasons of course,

To make it easier for me I actually think they should just keep everything that ac3 is and just keep expanding upon it and adding things/improving things because I absolutely loved ac3 gameplay wise.

SixKeys
01-19-2013, 04:12 AM
The new combat is at least a little more challenging than in the past few games, so that should stay. It just needs some more work. Naval battles should remain as long as they are justified by the story.

Assassin_M
01-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Everything.The System just needs work. I didn't find anything that should be removed, to be quite honest..Combat has to be more challenging by adding more elements. Hand-to-hand and armed combat should have different strategies for example.Side missions need to have context and better design. Delivery requests should be random with actual dialogue and a choice to accept or refuse, Assassinations should go back to how they were in the past, Letters should also have meaning and better context. for example, it should be an Assassin who requests this delivery, not some random bum on the street, and you have to do it in a set time, or fight off Templars who`ll intercept you, or maybe protect the messenger as he himself sends the letter.

SixKeys
01-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Everything.The System just needs work. I didn't find anything that should be removed, to be quite honest..Combat has to be more challenging by adding more elements. Hand-to-hand and armed combat should have different strategies for example.Side missions need to have context and better design. Delivery requests should be random with actual dialogue and a choice to accept or refuse, Assassinations should go back to how they were in the past, Letters should also have meaning and better context. for example, it should be an Assassin who requests this delivery, not some random bum on the street, and you have to do it in a set time, or fight off Templars who`ll intercept you, or maybe protect the messenger as he himself sends the letter. The OP said to list things that didn't need to be radically altered. In other words, mechanics that are pretty much fine exactly as they are. I agree with you that things introduced in AC3 don't need to be removed, just majorly improved (deliveries, liberation missions etc.). But as I understand it, this thread was more about listing things about AC3 that don't need to be improved, at least in major ways. In that sense I think almost everything you listed wouldn't qualify.

Just curious, why do you think delivery requests should have a "refuse" or "accept" option? I understand it in the case of actual missions, but if it's just a list of collectibles, you can always just choose to ignore it even if you can't refuse it.

Assassin_M
01-19-2013, 07:11 AM
The OP said to list things that didn't need to be radically altered. In other words, mechanics that are pretty much fine exactly as they are. I agree with you that things introduced in AC3 don't need to be removed, just majorly improved (deliveries, liberation missions etc.). But as I understand it, this thread was more about listing things about AC3 that don't need to be improved, at least in major ways. In that sense I think almost everything you listed wouldn't qualify. Just curious, why do you think delivery requests should have a "refuse" or "accept" option? I understand it in the case of actual missions, but if it's just a list of collectibles, you can always just choose to ignore it even if you can't refuse it.I guess I understood differently then. The Delivery quest as it is, does not need an accept or refuse, but if it became random it needs an accept or refuse, for example. You`d be just walking and a guy calls out to you, you do not know what he may want because it`s random, when you approach him, he tells you he needs things, then you either accept with "I`ll see what I can do" or refuse with "I`m pretty busy right now" it gives it more context, in my opinion. so that it feels fleshed out more...

dogtobycars
01-19-2013, 08:27 AM
I want naval combat to stay, wispering to the enemy was nice, but maybe that could be a reel selections so you can do it anywhere, combat could be harder, better side missions, that's all I can think of for now.

Sturnz0r
01-19-2013, 05:34 PM
The AC3 assassination contracts are so simplistic because ubisoft gave us homestead and liberation missions, as well as naval missions and merchant missions.. aka, stop whining

UrDeviant1
01-19-2013, 05:42 PM
The AC3 assassination contracts are so simplistic because ubisoft gave us homestead and liberation missions, as well as naval missions and merchant missions.. aka, stop whiningSo because Ubisoft wanted to push the game out for the holiday season we were actually left without a few features. I'd honestly rather wait a bit longer and have a more well rounded game. But to be fair I agree there was still a ton of content here, even If some of It was lacking In quality.

ChristyTina22
01-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Horseback riding should disappear. It was so much easier to just run everywhere. Any missions where I had to use a horse I kept getting stuck and desynched! took me several tries. The optional objectives where you couldn't bump into anyone were a pain too, but I have to admit when I finally got them I felt REALLY satisfied.
The naval missions were so much fun and should be imported to IV.

Sturnz0r
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
and we should live forever on castles in the skyyea, i would have waited a bit longer for the ACII-like contracts, besides the templars that were behind the people's struggles in liberations missions

UrDeviant1
01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
and we should live forever on castles in the skyyea, i would have waited a bit longer for the ACII-like contracts, besides the templars that were behind the people's struggles in liberations missionsI don't think It's too much to ask that the features which were clearly stated to be In the game actually remained In the game come release. But that's another topic. On topic, I'd like the ability to have our own community remain In the game, but expanded upon even further. The homestead was great, and I look forward to seeing what the devs have In store for us as they expand upon the Idea.

Sturnz0r
01-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Horseback riding should disappear. It was so much easier to just run everywhere. Any missions where I had to use a horse I kept getting stuck and desynched! took me several tries. The optional objectives where you couldn't bump into anyone were a pain too, but I have to admit when I finally got them I felt REALLY satisfied. The naval missions were so much fun and should be imported to IV.avoid rock and trees on the horse, and you're fine.i was fortunate to get the final lee mission second try.. the more you shoot guards, the more that people stay out of your wayafter biddle requested connor to not take his ship, i was excited that we might get another ship,.. not that you could use two ships at the same time or anything.

Aphex_Tim
01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
avoid rock and trees on the horse, and you're fine.

Easier said than done. The horses in AC have been extremely pussified since AC1.
I remember the badass horses in AC1 could practically leap over buildings but in AC3 the horses go full stop once they encounter a pebble.

Also,
I hate being desynchronized because some jack*ss notices me at the exact same moment i put my blade through his gut.
Even when there's no one else around to see it. It just makes no sense and i would like to see it changed.

lothario-da-be
01-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Easier said than done. The horses in AC have been extremely pussified since AC1.I remember the badass horses in AC1 could practically leap over buildings but in AC3 the horses go full stop once they encounter a pebble.Also,I hate being desynchronized because some jack*ss notices me at the exact same moment i put my blade through his gut.Even when there's no one else around to see it. It just makes no sense and i would like to see it changed.Yeah you would think afther 4 games they would fix this but no.And i want the naval battles to stay.And improve of course.

BaronVonES
01-19-2013, 08:23 PM
The OP said to list things that didn't need to be radically altered. In other words, mechanics that are pretty much fine exactly as they are. I agree with you that things introduced in AC3 don't need to be removed, just majorly improved (deliveries, liberation missions etc.). But as I understand it, this thread was more about listing things about AC3 that don't need to be improved, at least in major ways. In that sense I think almost everything you listed wouldn't qualify.

Just curious, why do you think delivery requests should have a "refuse" or "accept" option? I understand it in the case of actual missions, but if it's just a list of collectibles, you can always just choose to ignore it even if you can't refuse it.
Right on the money, SixKeys. (I guess I should have made that clearer in the original post - my mistake!)

Another thing I'd say is a keeper is the integration of full-sync: multiple objectives are good, having more levels of sync besides 0, 50 and 100% is also good and tying it to checkpoints is a godsend for when you need to restart. The only tweak in fixing it is ensuring that the objectives themselves are not needlessly obtuse (that is to say either a) nonsensical in context or b) a hindrance that makes a playthrough less fun, rather than a new and interesting way of approaching the level). But otherwise, I found the synch-system (in principle at least) much better in AC3 than the previous two games,

Easier said than done. The horses in AC have been extremely pussified since AC1.
I remember the badass horses in AC1 could practically leap over buildings but in AC3 the horses go full stop once they encounter a pebble.

Also,
I hate being desynchronized because some jack*ss notices me at the exact same moment i put my blade through his gut.
Even when there's no one else around to see it. It just makes no sense and i would like to see it changed.
Correct me if I am mistaken, but in AC1 weren't the horses unable to even enter the city walls (unless a glitch was used)?

Note: remember, this thread isn't for complaining about bad features, but praising the good ones (or ones that just fell a little bit short).

UrDeviant1
01-19-2013, 08:31 PM
The amazing horse physics need to remain. ;)

lothario-da-be
01-19-2013, 08:34 PM
The amazing horse physics need to remain. ;)lol how can anyone want this?

UrDeviant1
01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
lol how can anyone want this?

I dunno. But if anyone did i'd tell them to go play RDR. Somehow this topic always manages to come up xD I think it's maybe time the Devs mocap a horse.

lothario-da-be
01-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I dunno. But if anyone did i'd tell them to go play RDR. Somehow this topic always manages to come up xD I think it's maybe time the Devs mocap a horse.
I read somewhere the rdr team actualy did that! And the result is there.If you go from rdr to ac the differince is huge.

Sushiglutton
01-19-2013, 09:57 PM
I think the quality of everything that isn't directly gameplay-related is fantastic. The world looks stunning and yet it is big. Very good attention to detail. Connor is beautifully animated. Story, dialogue and characters were all fine (for the historic part anyway). Cutscenes are well thought out and looks great. Voice acting is generally very good (even though I didn't quite get Connor until Noah explained it). Sound effects and music are, as far as I can tell, of very high quality. So yeah for those areas I can only say: keep up the good work :)!

Escappa
01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
The side missions have to improve on two points:

1. They have to be harder, so you have to have a real tactic to complete them. Not just killing ONE random unprotected guy.

2. They have to make more sense to the overall story. Why are the assassin delivering letters for ordinary people when he can use his time hunting down templars? And WHY does the assassin building dolls and alcohole?

SaintPerkele
01-20-2013, 01:40 AM
-Weather/Seasonal changes:
About time that this was added to the franchise, but it exceeded my expectations! The different snow/summer-maps were so well done, the snow was a fantastic feature (although I would have liked a better usage of trails in the snow, enemies sliding and tripping [as indicated by early screenshots] and lakes freezing over [as promised by the devs]). The different sort of rain were fantastic too. I can very well imagine this coming back, if we get another game that is set in a place where the weather changes drastically (e.g. Eastern Europe/Russia, France, England). The thought alone of sneaking through some foggy streets of London at night, rain pouring from the sky and now and then a thunder in the distance, gives me shivers.

-Vehicles
i don't know why this didn't get so much attention, but I absolutely loved the carts introduced in AC3. It's a little thing, I know, but it was nice to see something besides people walking through the streets. I would have loved more carts, different kind of carts (with more interaction. Maybe even assassination targets in there?) or interactive carts (sliding beneath them, for example). I was a bit sad, that NPCs on horses were so scarce in the cities and the frontier. Also, there should have been way more carts in the frontier.

-Animals
I don't need hunting in an AC game (although it was fun), but the wildlife as well as the animals in the cities made the world feel much more alive. The only thing I had to complain about, was that wildlife acted somewhat weird on certain occasions and that there was way too much (but I suppose that was so hunting would be easier).