PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite time period in the series

ajl992008
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
So I thought this would be a cool thread to make, this has nothing to do with the gameplay just the time period, which one you found most interesting, answer in the poll :)

IronEagl3
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
The Crusades...it made the most sense to have a Templar setting, using the word "treasure" as a cover for actually searching for the POE. Plus, it was just much more enjoyable than the other settings. How many games can you name that have Knights in them rather than some simple guards? (rhetorical question) :P

ajl992008
01-18-2013, 09:51 PM
The Crusades...it made the most sense to have a Templar setting, using the word "treasure" as a cover for actually searching for the POE. Plus, it was just much more enjoyable than the other settings. How many games can you name that have Knights in them rather than some simple guards? (rhetorical question) :PI wish they did one more game in the crusades with the new gameplay changes I think it would be amazing!

EvanJamesLee
01-19-2013, 01:54 AM
I liked the American Revolution time period because I live in Massachusetts, Its kind of neat to see how things might of looked like back then.

Th3Aw3som3On31
01-19-2013, 07:39 AM
The Itailian renaissance was mine, it was interesting to learn something that I don't know (American Revolution) and was quite intriguing.

Assassin_M
01-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Ottoman Empire. Dont get me wrong, I love history in general, but the limitations in the Italian cities` NPC life were what made me prefer the Ottoman Empire...

Toa TAK
01-19-2013, 08:15 AM
The Crusades!

dogtobycars
01-19-2013, 08:16 AM
I liked the Italian renaissance because of how much stuff actually happened during that time period. They made great strides in science, art, and in thinking for yourself.

ajl992008
01-19-2013, 11:26 AM
For me it's the Ottoman Empire, the culture was just so rich and I really enjoyed roaming around Constantinople.

B_Crispino
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
i loved the american revolution... all the conflit at that time, the idealistic fights in Europe, the colonisation in the new world, the meeting with the native tribes, the cold blooded genocide that follows it... that's something that deserves a better picture arround the west, specially in the US. anyways, i think they did a pretty good job creating that atmosphere and i enjoyed it a lot

wackywaffles2
01-19-2013, 01:40 PM
I really liked AC2's setting, i found myself just free-roaming venice for hours.

EllisEverTellYa
01-19-2013, 02:10 PM
The crusades.

SixKeys
01-19-2013, 04:17 PM
It's a toss-up between the Crusades and the Renaissance. The Renaissance offered a great excuse to bring in Leonardo da Vinci and the general art and enlightenment ideas of the period. OTOH I liked the simplicity of the Crusades when there were no guns and the architecture was simpler.

Kaschra
01-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Italian Renaissance, closely followed by the Ottoman Empire. The American Revolution is last.
I just love how colourful and lively the Renaissance cities and Constantinople were, and the architecture is really beautiful. It's like a big sightseeing tour xD
The crusades were also nice. Great atmosphere there.
The Amerucan Revolution... well, I like the homestead and the Frontier, but the cities? Not so much. Not a big fan of the architecture and it wasn't much fun to climb on the buildings.

ajl992008
01-19-2013, 11:17 PM
feeling a bit of nostalgia, i'm going to go play acr now to see the ottomon empire again lol. tro me it is the best setting and the one i had the most fun exploring, the fact that acr had my favourite soundtrack helped in immersing me into the cities as well.

ACfan443
01-19-2013, 11:29 PM
I loved the crusades, medieval time periods have such an awesome atmosphere. The setting had so much potential and so much more to give. If it had the graphics of AC3, cinematics of AC2 and retained its look and ambience, it would be simply amazing. My second favourite would be the Italian renaissance, closely followed by the Ottoman Empire, and the American revolution coming last. I felt the revolution was a boring and uninteresting time period (that's not to say I didn't like the game).

dxsxhxcx
01-19-2013, 11:48 PM
The Crusades, it has the best atmosphere and IMO it's the only time period where hide in plain sight didn't feel forced...

straty88
01-20-2013, 01:10 AM
The crusades for me, partly because I loved my history lessons based on the crusades & getting to play around in that era was amazing imo. Also a bit of nostalgia is in there as well, arriving for the 1st time in Acre or Jerusalem sends shivers down my spine. The Ottoman Empire is also amazing, I love traversing the city and seeing small differences between the European and Asian side of the city. Cappadocia was also really cool to explore, just because it was a bit different even if it was a tad small. I do love the American revolution setting but unfortunately the cites were just a bit too bland for me.

EvanJamesLee
01-20-2013, 01:13 AM
I felt the revolution was a boring and uninteresting time period (that's not to say I didn't like the game).

Boring and uninteresting? This time period changed the world, how can that be boring and uninteresting? Ok the architecture isn't as neat as the other games but come on, A group of rag tag rebels defeating the most powerful nation at the time can't possibly be boring and uninteresting.

kriegerdesgottes
01-20-2013, 01:19 AM
I love European architecture in general and I realize there is no one particular European architecture but you know what I mean. Also I love the renaissance time period and all the amazing people who all lived around the same time and in the same general area. It's really fascinating. And it's far back enough to bring a lot of mystery and interest whereas I feel the American Revolution is borderline too recent although I feel that time period is equally fascinating and it's not too recent but it's getting too close for me. I would still be happy with a French Revolution game because the events/time period/location are all just too perfect for AC. They work better in my opinion than the American Revolution does. The country was simply too underdeveloped at the time and running around the forest just doesn't interest me personally.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Boring and uninteresting? This time period changed the world, how can that be boring and uninteresting? Ok the architecture isn't as neat as the other games but come on, A group of rag tag rebels defeating the most powerful nation at the time can't possibly be boring and uninteresting.
I thought it was Boring and Uninteresting too

Didn't really change the world THAT much....I can think of other MUCH more important events...

ajl992008
01-20-2013, 01:27 AM

Didn't really change the world THAT much....I can think of other MUCH more important events...
it was the architecture that made me find it boring, ac1,ac2, acb, and acr just had more vibrant worlds which were more interesting to explore (except the frontier, that was loads of fun to explore)

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 01:29 AM
it was the architecture that made me find it boring, ac1,ac2, acb, and acr just had more vibrant worlds which were more interesting to explore (except the frontier, that was loads of fun to explore)
I actually loved the Architecture of AC III. I dont have a fetish for BIG SHINY PRETTY buildings.

It`s the event itself....Brits having a civil war on foreign soil.....spare me all the technological advancements, the artistic marvels, the philosophical minds....The event itself was not THAT interesting compared to the Renaissance and the Crusades, In my opinion

EvanJamesLee
01-20-2013, 01:56 AM

Well think of it this way. The United States today is a melting pot, meaning besides Native Americans it is a country of immigrants. If the revolution had never occurred it would still be part of Great Britain. Many other people who immegrated here may never had since it was a British colony. Many important inventions were made by American immagrants, so if it was still part of Great Britain those inventers may have never traveled here and invented those things. Some may have still invented them in Europe but most were poor and wouldn't have the recources, they came here to live the American Dream, therefore giving them the chance to get richer and have the resources to invent. Take this man for example, Nikola Tesla, he immagrated to the U.S. and created alternating current. This is the power that gives energy to most electronic devises today. I find this time period very interesting myself.

ajl992008
01-20-2013, 01:57 AM
I actually loved the Architecture of AC III. I dont have a fetish for BIG SHINY PRETTY buildings.

It`s the event itself....Brits having a civil war on foreign soil.....spare me all the technological advancements, the artistic marvels, the philosophical minds....The event itself was not THAT interesting compared to the Renaissance and the Crusades, In my opinion

i would agree with that, the most interesting events for me was between the crusades and the ottomon empire but in terms of architecture it would again be ottomon empire or italy.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Well think of it this way. The United States today is a melting pot, meaning besides Native Americans it is a country of immigrants. If the revolution had never occurred it would still be part of Great Britain. Many other people who immegrated here may never had since it was a British colony. Many important inventions were made by American immagrants, so if it was still part of Great Britain those inventers may have never traveled here and invented those things. Some may have still invented them in Europe but most were poor and wouldn't have the recources, they came here to live the American Dream, therefore giving them the chance to get richer and have the resources to invent. Take this man for example, Nikola Tesla, he immagrated to the U.S. and created alternating current. This is the power that gives energy to most electronic devises today. I find this time period very interesting myself.
It`s not the place that made these inventions...It`s the people...

Did Leonardo Da Vinci immigrate to the US ?? Did Socrates immigrate to the US ?? Did Pythagoras immigrate to the US ?? Like I said. You can`t really credit ALL these things to the place where they were made. Franklin was a genius when the Americas were still a part of Britain and he invented things BEFORE america was created so I do not see your point.

It`s fine if you find it interesting. I just don't...

EvanJamesLee
01-20-2013, 02:22 AM
It`s not the place that made these inventions...It`s the people...

Did Leonardo Da Vinci immigrate to the US ?? Did Socrates immigrate to the US ?? Did Pythagoras immigrate to the US ?? Like I said. You can`t really credit ALL these things to the place where they were made. Franklin was a genius when the Americas were still a part of Britain and he invented things BEFORE america was created so I do not see your point.

It`s fine if you find it interesting. I just don't...

Most people who invented things in the U.S. used to be poor without the recources to invent things in there homeland. Lets take Andrew Carnegie for example, A poor immagrant from Ireland who became one of the richest men in the world. If the revolution had never happened he may never have moved here, even if he did British rules would never let his business be succesful, he created Carnegie Steel Company which later became U.S. steel which is one of the largest steel producers today. Yes, its not the place that makes the inventer but the place helps the inventer.

I never said there was no such thing as a non-American inventor or a pre-revolutionary inventor so I don't see your point.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 02:25 AM
Most people who invented things in the U.S. used to be poor without the recources to invent things in there homeland. Lets take Andrew Carnegie for example, A poor immagrant from Ireland who became one of the richest men in the world. If the revolution had never happened he may never have moved here, even if he did British rules would never let his business be succesful, he created Carnegie Steel Company which later became U.S. steel which is one of the largest steel producers today. Yes, its not the place that makes the inventer but the place helps the inventer.

I never said there was no such thing as a non-American inventor or a pre-revolutionary inventor so I don't see your point.
My point is that how do you know America would not have prospered under the Brits instead ?? How do you know that these same people would not Invent the things they did had they come to British America ?? America already had Immigrants coming from Europe....The American Dream was Pre-Revolution.

EvanJamesLee
01-20-2013, 02:55 AM
My point is that how do you know America would not have prospered under the Brits instead ?? How do you know that these same people would not Invent the things they did had they come to British America ?? America already had Immigrants coming from Europe....The American Dream was Pre-Revolution.

It would not have prospered under British control because of British laws, that was why there was a revolution. Lets go back to Andrew Carnegie, under British rule he would only be able to sell steel to the Brits. Then the Brits would cheat him and buy his steal for less since they are the only buyers. He can't go north and sell to the Canadians or go south and sell to to the Mexicans even if they would pay more, that would be against the law. Also he would have to pay high unfair taxes since "No taxation without representation" would never happen, the colonists were not represented in Parliment so Great Britain could raise taxes without the consent of the colonists. The whole reason there was a revolution was because the colonists were not successful under British rule. People don't fight wars were they lose lives if everything is fine and well.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 03:08 AM
It would not have prospered under British control because of British laws, that was why there was a revolution. Lets go back to Andrew Carnegie, under British rule he would only be able to sell steel to the Brits. Then the Brits would cheat him and buy his steal for less since they are the only buyers. He can't go north and sell to the Canadians or go south and sell to to the Mexicans even if they would pay more, that would be against the law. Also he would have to pay high unfair taxes since "No taxation without representation" would never happen, the colonists were not represented in Parliment so Great Britain could raise taxes without the consent of the colonists. The whole reason there was a revolution was because the colonists were not successful under British rule. People don't fight wars were they lose lives if everything is fine and well.
This is taking a rather ugly turn...

Look, friend. I don't know what you were taught you about your Revolution, but it was not because of poor conditions, or "Failure" of the Colonies. Just the Taxes and Unfair ?? perhaps the representation part is, but the taxes themselves ? Hardly...Britain was in deep dept because of the French and Indian war, French and Indian war huh ?? Why do the Colonists think that it is unfair to tax them for a war that protected them ?? That THEY themselves participated in ?? The Colonies were doing well....Hell, It was not called the American dream for nothing....The American Dream existed back then, it`s not USA exclusive. Everything was fine under British rule. The empire was expanding, Farmers were prospering, Trade was plenty, Religion and Religious liberty were rising and People were immigrating from all over Europe...

"in New England "every man" is a property owner,has a Vote in public Affairs, lives in a tidy, warm House, has plenty of good Food and Fuel, with whole clothes from Head to Foot, the Manufacture perhaps of his own family." -Benjamin Franklin

I don't see the part where the "Colonists were unsuccessful"

EvanJamesLee
01-20-2013, 04:39 AM
This is taking a rather ugly turn...

Look, friend. I don't know what you were taught you about your Revolution, but it was not because of poor conditions, or "Failure" of the Colonies. Just the Taxes and Unfair ?? perhaps the representation part is, but the taxes themselves ? Hardly...Britain was in deep dept because of the French and Indian war, French and Indian war huh ?? Why do the Colonists think that it is unfair to tax them for a war that protected them ?? That THEY themselves participated in ?? The Colonies were doing well....Hell, It was not called the American dream for nothing....The American Dream existed back then, it`s not USA exclusive. Everything was fine under British rule. The empire was expanding, Farmers were prospering, Trade was plenty, Religion and Religious liberty were rising and People were immigrating from all over Europe...

"in New England "every man" is a property owner,has a Vote in public Affairs, lives in a tidy, warm House, has plenty of good Food and Fuel, with whole clothes from Head to Foot, the Manufacture perhaps of his own family." -Benjamin Franklin

I don't see the part where the "Colonists were unsuccessful"

I never said the French and Indian war was unfair with taxes. What the colonists found unfair was the Acts made by Parliment. It was unfair as they had no say in what Parliment could do. The Townshend Acts which were taxes to enforce trade regulations so they could only trade with Great Britain, punish those who did not comply with the Quartering act, and pay the wages of British governers. The Quartering act forced colonists to house British soldiers without the consent of the home owner. Trade regulations made it a law that they could only trade with Great Britain, since the British are the only game in town they could buy products for less than what other people would pay,then they could sell there products to the colonists for even more than what its worth. Like I said before there is a reason for actions, If everything was fine then why would the Colonists fight and loose lives? That does not make sense.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 04:48 AM
I never said the French and Indian war was unfair with taxes. What the colonists found unfair was the Acts made by Parliment. It was unfair as they had no say in what Parliment could do. The Townshend Acts which were taxes to enforce trade regulations so they could only trade with Great Britain, punish those who did not comply with the Quartering act, and pay the wages of British governers. The Quartering act forced colonists to house British soldiers without the consent of the home owner. Trade regulations made it a law that they could only trade with Great Britain, since the British are the only game in town they could buy products for less than what other people would pay,then they could sell there products to the colonists for even more than what its worth. Like I said before there is a reason for actions, If everything was fine then why would the Colonists fight and loose lives? That does not make sense.
I still don't see the part where the Colonists were "Unsuccessful" under British rule and I still think It`s rather boring and uninteresting and it did not change the world THAT much.

I can think of other, more important and impactful events than the birth of the US

JumpInTheFire13
01-20-2013, 07:54 AM
I still don't see the part where the Colonists were "Unsuccessful" under British rule and I still think It`s rather boring and uninteresting and it did not change the world THAT much.

I can think of other, more important and impactful events than the birth of the US
Then list them and provide reasons. I want at least 2000.

Assassin_M
01-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Then list them and provide reasons. I want at least 2000.
2000 against the Birth of the US ?? Yeah...No

ACfan443
01-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Well I did find it boring and uninteresting - compared to the events of the crusades and renaissance. (Not just architecture)
And you might want to take a look at the results of the pole.

Also, you've just majorly derailed this thread.

EvanJamesLee
01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Well I did find it boring and uninteresting - compared to the events of the crusades and renaissance. (Not just architecture)
And you might want to take a look at the results of the pole.

Also, you've just majorly derailed this thread.

Everybody has their own opinion. Sorry if I derailed it.

Megas_Doux
01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
So in terms of architecture and general gameplay -with the exception being the naval battles- I would go with The crusades, Ottoman and Italian Renaissance......
But, and this is my opinion, in terms of historical changes, I would go with the American Revolution....

It ignited french and latin american revolutions; for example Mexico, Argentina and Colombia. Also religion and monarchies began to lose their grip over society... Which to me, is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ADVANCE!!!!!
And THAT lead to great discoveries in terms of science and technology.....

Whereas crusades were a long lasting event, in which despite some geopolitcal implications, it did not change a lot. Popes and kings continued to rule for some centuries to come... And here I will quote Al Mualim:

"Those craven Gods, who retreat from this world that men might slaughter one another in their names? They live amongst an illusion already. I'm simply giving them another, one that demands less blood. Aside from the occasional convert or heretic?"

UBOSOFT-Gamer
01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Of the time period i go with the Italian Renaissance, then the crusades and then American Rev. BUT i enjoyed AC3 very much. I like all. the story, the setting, the countryside and the towns!!! The battles, i was against guns in AC, but the developers put them in in AC3 very well!!! I love the seabattle, i lobe the landbattles. I love the ships, the towns, everything :D The GAmeplay itself. Very cool :)

from 1 = best to less best is
AC3 = 1
AC2= 2
AC1=3
AC:Bro, nice addition to AC2 = 4
AC: Revelations, i like the story, but from everything else, it is the worst but imo = 5

lothario-da-be
01-20-2013, 08:29 PM
I was about to choose Ottoman Empire but then i thought about Leonardo, Machiavelli,Cesare and some other dudes and chose Renaissance.