PDA

View Full Version : Petting animals!! Really????

name531
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Is there some benefit of doing this, that i'm missing here? Or is it a pointless feature?

Gi1t
01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Is there some benefit of doing this, that i'm missing here? Or is it a pointless feature?

A sense of peace and well-being? XD

Either way, my first thought reading this was 'what if you could cause a stampede of animals as a way to get guards out of an area?' :D

Legendz54
01-16-2013, 09:18 AM
It adds realism.

Assassin_M
01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Does EVERYTHING has to have a point ??

Armor had no point in the past and I didn't see anyone complaining -_-

name531
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
A sense of peace and well-being? XD

Either way, my first thought reading this was 'what if you could cause a stampede of animals as a way to get guards out of an area?' :D

That is a wicked idea dude. ubi, hire this dude^^^

Aphex_Tim
01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
I've seen lots of complaints about lots of things but this has got to be the most stupid of all.

dxsxhxcx
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
it's a pointless feature...

name531
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I've seen lots of complaints about lots of things but this has got to be the most stupid of all.

It's not really a complaint, it just seems pointless and unnecessary.

MT4K
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
It's cute. There's nothing wrong with little stuff like this added for fun. I will often pet an animal as i'm running by and stuff. It's just a nice little thing to do from time to time. There's lots of "pointless and unnecessary" features in the AC series if you want to go down that road... Take the recruits for instance... They are pretty pointless and unnecessary....

Sushiglutton
01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
It's my favourite little touch in the game! I have pet every dog and sheep from Boston to Lexington and back again :o! Brilliant stuff.

AjinkyaParuleka
01-16-2013, 12:08 PM
This allows you to have the first bird assassin!Turkeeeeeeeeeeeey!

IronEagl3
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Like a couple people said above, there are a lot of pointless things in the AC series. Doesn't hurt to have something like petting animals in the game. It's just there for realism.

pacmanate
01-16-2013, 02:23 PM
For every dog I pet, I kill 1 pig.

dxsxhxcx
01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
It's cute. There's nothing wrong with little stuff like this added for fun. I will often pet an animal as i'm running by and stuff. It's just a nice little thing to do from time to time. There's lots of "pointless and unnecessary" features in the AC series if you want to go down that road... Take the recruits for instance... They are pretty pointless and unnecessary....

if the recruits are pointless is because ubisoft didn't implement they right (but IMO still is a feature that has its uses), this IMO is also related to the lack of difficulty and bad mission design that don't give us enough room to explore the new abilities the recruits bring to the Brotherhood making them pointless (what's the point in have recruits disguised as red coats but when you enter a red zone full of red coats like a fort, they'll still attack you on sight), the ability to pet animals is a complete different story, you won't get anything by doing that, like you said, it's just there for the sake of being there, it may be a little feature, but I doubt they made it in 5 minutes, so time and resources that could be used to make the recruits less pointless for example (or work on the bugs, etc) were still spent to make that feature.

MT4K
01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
if the recruits are pointless is because ubisoft didn't implement they right (but IMO still is a feature that has its uses), this IMO is also related to the lack of difficulty and bad mission design that don't give us enough room to explore the new abilities the recruits bring to the Brotherhood making them pointless (what's the point in have recruits disguised as red coats but when you enter a red zone full of red coats like a fort, they'll still attack you on sight), the ability to pet animals is a complete different story, you won't get anything by doing that, like you said, it's just there for the sake of being there, it may be a little feature, but I doubt they made it in 5 minutes, so time and resources that could be used to make the recruits less pointless for example (or work on the bugs, etc) were still spent to make that feature.

Who says in the future petting animals won't be a form of blending? Would you suspect the guy petting a cute little doggy? :p.

Sushiglutton
01-16-2013, 03:17 PM

I don't think it took 5min, but the animal interaction is obv much cheaper than improving a gameplay mechanic. I mean it's just a button to trigger one animation/animal and they have tons of animations in the game.

The recruits is a dumb idea and I hope they just throw it in the bin for upcoming games. Having six guys in funny hats stalking Coonnor wherever he goes, ready to jump out and save the day, is just too silly. No amount of work could ever fix that. And Ubi has poor AI programmers. The enemy AI is still really mediocre even after five games. Adding a friendly AI into the mix just complicates things more and leads to those really awkward situations. Ditch the recruits and fix the enemies imo.

SixKeys
01-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Who even cares if it's pointless? It's a nice little touch. It shows Connor doesn't just kill everything in sight, he also has a softer side.

CalgaryJay
01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Meh, I liked it. Added more interaction with the surrounding world.

In fact I wish you could've had more interaction with human NPC's as well. Haha not to pet them though...unless its Sophia..

Gi1t
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
That is a wicked idea dude. ubi, hire this dude^^^
Thanks! :)

Who says in the future petting animals won't be a form of blending? Would you suspect the guy petting a cute little doggy? :p.

"Seriously? How could that guy have been the killer, look at him playing with that puppy! And besides, we both clearly saw the guy get trampled by an elephant." XD

RinoTheBouncer
01-16-2013, 11:29 PM
I've always thought that petting animals will have a benefit in luring guards away or taking your side in battle (dogs) or something similar but turns out it's just a feature for fun.

SixKeys
01-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Meh, I liked it. Added more interaction with the surrounding world.

In fact I wish you could've had more interaction with human NPC's as well. Haha not to pet them though...unless its Sophia..

This. Maybe not with all NPCs like in Red Dead Redemption, but at least being able to greet your Homesteaders would have been nice.

FirestarLuva
01-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Who even cares if it's pointless? It's a nice little touch. It shows Connor doesn't just kill everything in sight, he also has a softer side.

Agree with that. In the Noah Watts podcast they said petting animals was added to show a softer side of Connor, a side of him that's very subtle in the game.

RinoTheBouncer
01-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Agree with that. In the Noah Watts podcast they said petting animals was added to show a softer side of Connor, a side of him that's very subtle in the game.

I agree. I also read somewhere that Connor was supposed to scalp his targets as well, not just kill them and later it was removed so as not to make him look like a monster. I salut their decision not because I'm against guns or fighting in games/music/videos/concerts/film but the whole idea of the AC series is how Assassins want the good of all mankind so a person who wants good for people won't torture their enemies when they simply have the chance to kill them and get it over with since the aim is to end their tyranny and plans of world dominion and corruption.

FirestarLuva
01-16-2013, 11:45 PM
This. Maybe not with all NPCs like in Red Dead Redemption, but at least being able to greet your Homesteaders would have been nice.

There's actually an interaction with the recruits, when one of them gets injured and lying on the ground, when you walk toward them there is an option 'close eyes'. When Dobby was injured Connor leaned down and caressed her hand or head, not sure, and said something in his native language. It happened rather quickly so I don't quite remember it. Don't know if there is a different interaction when all recruits get injured since it only occurred with Dobby for me.
Not much of an interaction but still, wonder if anyone else have come across it.

SixKeys
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
There's actually an interaction with the recruits, when one of them gets injured and lying on the ground, when you walk toward them there is an option 'close eyes'. When Dobby was injured Connor leaned down and caressed her hand or head, not sure, and said something in his native language. It happened rather quickly so I don't quite remember it. Don't know if there is a different interaction for when all recruits get injured since it only occurred with Dobby for me.
Not much of an interaction but still, wonder if anyone else have come across it.

I've never seen this. The only thing that ever happens is they tell me it's just a scratch and that they'll be okay soon.

Saqaliba
01-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I thought that too. If you go into eagle vision all the hiding spots are highlighted by a white glow including certain civilian context hiding spots like the people at a market stall. And the animals you can pet are also white so I thought they would act as temporary hiding spots for the duration of their animation. This would have made getting from one hiding spot to another have a kind of mid-point as you went down the street or if you were being detected you pet an animal. Nup. FAIL!

STONE DEVIL
01-17-2013, 12:23 AM

LOL, a pointless feature is your horse

Assassin_M
01-17-2013, 12:26 AM
How do you know his horse is pointless ? Hmm ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??????????

What about your horse ?? Is it pointless too ??

name531
01-17-2013, 03:15 AM
it's just there for the sake of being there, it may be a little feature, but I doubt they made it in 5 minutes, so time and resources that could be used to make the recruits less pointless for example (or work on the bugs, etc) were still spent to make that feature.

That's kinda what i was getting at, you just said it better.

TheBearJew32
01-17-2013, 04:23 AM
How do you know his horse is pointless ? Hmm ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??????????

What about your horse ?? Is it pointless too ??
Well, my horse's name was Mr Ed, and he told me that all pointless horses in AC3 are pointless, therefore the answer is none other than C- Thomas Jefferson.

dogtobycars
01-17-2013, 04:30 AM
I thought it was a little stupid, but come on guys. There are much worse things in the game to complain about than something like these. For all we know this was a side project when some people were done and this kept them from boredom. Personally I wanted to pet the guard dog and watch him bight my hand :) Also these guys might not of been the polishing team to get rid of bugs, just the guys who work on the simple animations.

Assassin_M
01-17-2013, 04:54 AM
just the guys who work on the simple animations.
It`s not "Simple"

Toa TAK
01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
I love petting animals. It's a nice break from the murder.

I-Like-Pie45
01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Don't even dare diss the horse.

After the turkeys, the horses are the deadliest assassins in the entire series.

itsamea-mario
01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Not everything needs a purpose. Humans do a lot things we don't need to. Because we can.

pacmanate
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
If only you could pet kids

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/005/pedobear.jpg

HEY! WHO PUT THAT THERE>!!!!>!!>!!!!?!?!?

C0smodictator
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
facepalm

ProletariatPleb
01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
OMG we can pet animals? 0/10 **** game.

Adasash
07-04-2016, 02:33 PM
I think there just might be some benefit to petting animals in Far Cry Primal. From time to time I've noticed that when attacking an enemy I will sometimes hit my sabretooth tiger. This is usually fine, but on rare occasions I will hit them to hard or too much and they will turn on me. I think petting increases the affection your animal has toward you so that they will accept more abuse before turning. I can't think of any other possible benefit.

ERICATHERINE
07-04-2016, 06:42 PM
I think there just might be some benefit to petting animals in Far Cry Primal. From time to time I've noticed that when attacking an enemy I will sometimes hit my sabretooth tiger. This is usually fine, but on rare occasions I will hit them to hard or too much and they will turn on me. I think petting increases the affection your animal has toward you so that they will accept more abuse before turning. I can't think of any other possible benefit.

You're in the wrong forum. This is the Assassin's creed forum.

Welcome to the forum anyway. ^-^