PDA

View Full Version : Do you want ac to stay an action game or return to stealth.

lothario-da-be
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Simple question action or stealth? I want this series to go bach to its roots and become more like ac1 again. But less repititive of course.

UrDeviant1
01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
I think It's always been a mixture of both stealth and action depending on how you choose to play. How would you suggest they make It more stealthy? by adding a cover system n stuff? AC3 had all the elements of stealth that AC1 had as far as I can tell.

kriegerdesgottes
01-13-2013, 06:47 PM
It was NEVER a stealth game. Why do people continue to say this? AC is a game about freedom. The freedom to play as an actor as Patrice Desilets used to say. I would like to see the games go back to giving the player total freedom the way the first one did but having it be all stealth or all action would not be cool. Let the player decided how to start and finish missions.

itsamea-mario
01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
god **** it, between the two definitely stealth.

lothario-da-be
01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I think It's always been a mixture of both stealth and action depending on how you choose to play. How would you suggest they make It more stealthy? by adding a cover system n stuff? AC3 had all the elements of stealth that AC1 had as far as I can tell.
Well by adding more open areas for missions, a non- telepathic AI that reacts normal. Better stealth elements like being able to cover.The social stealth should get an update too. And the mission design, actually no mission desing to give the player complete freedom.A difficulty setting to make combat the last option. Using shadow to hide. The ability to let your assassins do more specific things.
Like saying kill that dude with your gunn and run away then. etc

lothario-da-be
01-13-2013, 06:52 PM
It was NEVER a stealth game. Why do people continue to say this? AC is a game about freedom. The freedom to play as an actor as Patrice Desilets used to say. I would like to see the games go back to giving the player total freedom the way the first one did but having it be all stealth or all action would not be cool. Let the player decided how to start and finish missions. You can indeed chose between combat and stealth but stealth is broken in ac.

UrDeviant1
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Well by adding more open areas for missions, a non- telepathic AI that reacts normal. Better stealth elements like being able to cover.The social stealth should get an update too. And the mission design, actually no mission desing to give the player complete freedom.A difficulty setting to make combat the last option. Using shadow to hide. The ability to let your assassins do more specific things.
Like saying kill that dude with your gunn and run away then. etc

Non-telepathic AI? what do you mean like they should get rid of the notoriety system? i'd like being able to crouch, cover and hide in shadows.

lothario-da-be
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Non-telepathic AI? what do you mean like they should get rid of the notoriety system? i'd like being able to crouch, cover and hide in shadows.
The AI can detect you sometimes, ( in ac3) when they can't see or hear you, its annoying and feels stupid because you did nothing wrong.

CC1138
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/32622312.jpg

YuurHeen
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
AC3 had stealth moments. when you had to eavedrop on others. THAT WAS BAD.
AC1 had stealth moments when you joined scolars to get into buildings you wouldnt get in otherwhise. THAT WAS GOOD.

It is not whether there should be stealth or action, it is about good stealth vs bad stealth.

UrDeviant1
01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
AC1 had stealth moments when you joined scolars to get into buildings you wouldnt get in otherwhise. THAT WAS GOOD.

It is not whether there should be stealth or action, it is about good stealth vs bad stealth.

I like It In AC3 when you can pretend to be captured by redcoats to enter forts/restricted areas.

YuurHeen
01-13-2013, 08:58 PM
I like It In AC3 when you can pretend to be captured by redcoats to enter forts/restricted areas.

I did not mean that all stealth moments in ac3 were bad.

UrDeviant1
01-13-2013, 09:05 PM
I did not mean that all stealth moments in ac3 were bad.

I know.

Sushiglutton
01-13-2013, 10:59 PM
I just want missions of the type:

A fairly large part of the open world.
A target is hiding somewhere in there.
Find and kill the target in any way you want
Go and have fun!

xboxauditore
01-13-2013, 11:09 PM
Yeah I'd like lots of Action in a game with the word ASSASSIN in the Title. :p

Turul.
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
I feel like this franchise is becoming less and stealthy and more and more linear.

Ubisoft! we want more stealth! and more freedom! Far cry 3 has some great mechanics! i'd love to see some of them applied to the AC franchise!

Gi1t
01-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Wow, it's rare that I see a poll getting a universal result, even early on.

It was NEVER a stealth game. Why do people continue to say this? AC is a game about freedom. The freedom to play as an actor as Patrice Desilets used to say. I would like to see the games go back to giving the player total freedom the way the first one did but having it be all stealth or all action would not be cool. Let the player decided how to start and finish missions.

"As you adequately put it-the problem is 'choice'."

What I liked most about AC was that it was not about sneaking around and never being spotted; it was about hiding in the crowd and only engaging in combat when you CHOSE to. You weren't forced to stay hidden, nor forced to engage in combat, it was a choice and that's what made it fun. The issue a lot of people are having now is not so much the elimination of the mechanics as it is the lack of choice to use them. EX: Situations where you end up being forced to do either an action sequence or a cinematic sequence in place of getting to do what you want. How many stealth mechanics are in the game doesn't matter nearly as much as the mission/area design. The various in-game elements that are used for stealth need to be placed where they can be used during the mission. It only counts if you can actually use it during the important missions at your discretion. Not being able to choose how they take out the targets is one of the complaints most people have. The ability to use stealth on run of the mill enemies in the middle of nowhere or even the guards seems rather superficial by comparison. It's that ability to assassinate the target yourself that people want to see more of. It's not gone of course, they just feel like it's becoming the exception rather than the rule.

SuperLoboMau 25
01-14-2013, 12:11 AM
AC is a mix of stealth and action and must continue this way. The problem is AC3 almost there is no stealth moments. I always choice go hidden, but the only oportunity to make it is in a fort or rare missions of principal campaign. But wasn't this way:

-AC:

I could kill the target in main campaign like Conan or blend with schoolars to get close or sometimes go by high spots, it gave less liberty, but was almost enough

-AC2:

In side missions I could choose kill the target with a sword, create a confusion, kill everyone or simply wait for the guard in a hay's mount, throw a poison dart or even kill with hidden blade in population view and run away as in AC1's trailer.

-AC:Brotherhood:

Is possible do anything of AC2 and much more with crossbow and horses and there were missions to destroy Leonardo's inventions, where were very more fun play stealth, without talk about Borgia towers.

-AC: Revelations:

All of brotherhood, no aditions.

-AC3:

Even to stole a simple chest you MUST fight against 200 guards. :mad:

itsamea-mario
01-14-2013, 12:35 AM
I don't think they pay enough attention to the escape anymore, in the more recent games the mission is usually done once the targets dead, or at best you may have to "escape the area" or "become anonymous". But i much prefer the way AC1, and possibly some of AC2, you kill the target, a lot of the time there was no other way to do this than in front of quite a few people (the way the hashashin actually did it) now he's dead, but also you've just killed a figurehead of the community, or a man of great power, or the man who lined the pockets of the guard with gold, and the guards know it. The whole city is now in a state of alert, looking for you, some might say this escape is more action, but i think it depends how you play it, personally i feel quite stealthy trying to get back to the bureau without being detected, as fast as possible, especially when you have no choice but to go along the ground having to hide and blend before you can get back to the rooftops, which themselves often aren't safe. At the very least that's action-stealth.

SixKeys
01-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't think they pay enough attention to the escape anymore, in the more recent games the mission is usually done once the targets dead, or at best you may have to "escape the area" or "become anonymous". But i much prefer the way AC1, and possibly some of AC2, you kill the target, a lot of the time there was no other way to do this than in front of quite a few people (the way the hashashin actually did it) now he's dead, but also you've just killed a figurehead of the community, or a man of great power, or the man who lined the pockets of the guard with gold, and the guards know it. The whole city is now in a state of alert, looking for you, some might say this escape is more action, but i think it depends how you play it, personally i feel quite stealthy trying to get back to the bureau without being detected, as fast as possible, especially when you have no choice but to go along the ground having to hide and blend before you can get back to the rooftops, which themselves often aren't safe. At the very least that's action-stealth.

Good point. In AC3 there's one particular mission, the one where you have to kill the general across the battlefield (forgot his name). I had just killed the guy stealthily, Connor takes a letter from his pocket and then sees a whole group of redcoats charging for him. I was getting pumped up, thinking I would have the choice of either fighting this army of soldiers or to make a run for it back across the blazing battlefield. And then.... cut scene. Connor runs away, end of sequence. It should have been up to me, the player, to make the choice whether Connor would run away from these guys or face them head on.

IronEagl3
01-15-2013, 12:36 AM
We shouldn't only have to choose...we should be able to use both as we please. AC3 made it difficult to choose which one you wanted. It was very linear in my opinion. For example the battle field. Some of us want to go around the place and kill him quietly (which is what I prefer) and some of us want to go straight into the battle field and fight everyone we want.

AC1 did an excellent job with stealth and combat. An example would be the mission where you had to kill William. You could sneak up from above and kill him, or you can charge in and fight a bunch of guards.

i WiLL aM
01-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Stealth all the way!
However I would assume that everyone would prefer if they could choose between the two. Assassin's Creed has always been about stealth to me - I try to avoid open combat as much as possible. Pretty proud of my 38% Assassinations Vs Kills in AC3 :p

lothario-da-be
01-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Well the poll tells us a BIG majority of the fans want stealth.

UrDeviant1
01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
We shouldn't only have to choose...we should be able to use both as we please. AC3 made it difficult to choose which one you wanted. It was very linear in my opinion. For example the battle field. Some of us want to go around the place and kill him quietly (which is what I prefer) and some of us want to go straight into the battle field and fight everyone we want.

AC1 did an excellent job with stealth and combat. An example would be the mission where you had to kill William. You could sneak up from above and kill him, or you can charge in and fight a bunch of guards.

How Is AC1 a stealthier game than AC3? AC3 has every stealth element AC1 had and more. You still have the options to choose your approach to a mission/assassination.

People keep talking about how AC1 did stealth better, but they're not giving any good examples of HOW.

The mission design that lets you choose to fight or assassinate Is still there. Admittedly now we don't have mindless scholars wondering conveniently to where we want to go.

Gi1t
01-15-2013, 07:34 PM
How Is AC1 a stealthier game than AC3? AC3 has every stealth element AC1 had and more. You still have the options to choose your approach to a mission/assassination.

People keep talking about how AC1 did stealth better, but they're not giving any good examples of HOW.

The mission design that lets you choose to fight or assassinate Is still there. Admittedly now we don't have mindless scholars wondering conveniently to where we want to go.

It's all written right there in the other posts. The capabilites for stealth remain, but there's too many scripted sequences in the missions and what I'm hearing is that for a lot of the major targets, the game forces you into an action sequence or cutscene instead of letting you do it your way like the first game did. In the first game, after you found your mark, your task was simply to kill them, no further interruptions or cutscenes until they're dead, one way or another. This appiled to almost every target in the game.

UrDeviant1
01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
It's all written right there in the other posts. The capabilites for stealth remain, but there's too many scripted sequences in the missions and what I'm hearing is that for a lot of the major targets, the game forces you into an action sequence or cutscene instead of letting you do it your way like the first game did. In the first game, after you found your mark, your task was simply to kill them, no further interruptions or cutscenes until they're dead, one way or another. This appiled to almost every target in the game.

True there are some targets that require you to go all out action, but there are still a ton of other scenarios In the game where you can choose between the two styles. I do have a couple of gripes with It but to say AC3 does stealth BAD Is wrong. Have you completed the game yet?

IronEagl3
01-15-2013, 08:06 PM

The reason AC1 was more stealthy was because you felt the need to be stealthy. Because we all know that if you get caught by the guards sneaking around, A LOT of trouble comes with it. The guards weren't so easy to get rid of as the newer releases. So you always just wanted to kill the target and run.

andreja110s
01-15-2013, 08:17 PM
As someone said it earlier, AC is a mixture of both, so itīs hard to choose just one...

misterB2001
01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
why cant we just have a game with, say, 10 targets. Each sequence dedicated to you investigating the movements and whereabouts of each individual target. The more you investigate, the more you learn about him. you then get to the assassination and using the things youve picked up from the street, informants etc plan you route of attack.

Wait... i've just described the concept of AC1.

I fully agree that AC1 was majorly flawed and very repetetive, but it had the cleanest concept of what the game should be about. I really feel they should use what they've learned from the last 5 games and go for a kind of 'reboot' for AC4 on the next gen systems.

Gi1t
01-15-2013, 08:36 PM
True there are some targets that require you to go all out action, but there are still a ton of other scenarios In the game where you can choose between the two styles. I do have a couple of gripes with It but to say AC3 does stealth BAD Is wrong. Have you completed the game yet?

No, the most I can do is try to clarify things other people are saying when it comes to 3. I don't have this one myself, in fact, I stopped after Brotherhood. (I felt like stealth was starting to be ignored at that point and sort of lost interest.) The most I can do is talk about the first 3 games and general trends, so what I've said is about the most I can say about the subject.

GalakFyarr
01-15-2013, 11:53 PM

I think the opposite.
AC1: how the hell did nobody notice the "monk" with a giant sword and a blade on his back?
AC3: you're more or less hidden so it's a plausible way to eavesdrop

Now, whether the eavesdrop missions were FUN, that's another story.

IronEagl3
01-16-2013, 12:52 AM
I think the opposite.
AC1: how the hell did nobody notice the "monk" with a giant sword and a blade on his back?
AC3: you're more or less hidden so it's a plausible way to eavesdrop

Now, whether the eavesdrop missions were FUN, that's another story.

The idea of Altair blending with scholars is good, but the execution was bad. But a good idea will always improve. Someone spotting you, then standing next to 2 people is cool and a lot more lifelike, but not a good idea. If I saw a guy with a hood staring at me then suddenly goes to check out some fruits, I'd be out of there. But still, it's pretty cool, but not a good idea.

lothario-da-be
01-19-2013, 08:04 PM
The idea of Altair blending with scholars is good, but the execution was bad. But a good idea will always improve. Someone spotting you, then standing next to 2 people is cool and a lot more lifelike, but not a good idea. If I saw a guy with a hood staring at me then suddenly goes to check out some fruits, I'd be out of there. But still, it's pretty cool, but not a good idea.Blending will never be complete realistic because of this. Games stay games.But it needs some imrpovements though.

cjdavies
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
It should do both, so the player has a choice, myself I prefer stealth, now in this it seems broken in parts, detected when they have their backs to you.