PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand something AC fans...the White Room

Toa TAK
01-12-2013, 07:45 PM
So one of my favorite parts of the games are whenever you assassinate (or try to ) your target, the assassin and the target are immediately isolated and have a few last words.

But what I don't get it is: why? Does time around them stop, does anyone else witness this (besides Desmond and co.), how do some of these conversations even occur?

And all that.

Sushiglutton
01-12-2013, 07:56 PM
I haven't heard the scientific explanation for it, but one thing I do know is that I like it a lot. It makes the assassinations become something more than just stabbing a dude. So in short, I can't help u lol.

she-assassin
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
The devs never explained how it works or why it's even there, but everyone LOVES it. In fact, there are people (me included) who were extremely disappointed that it only works in the Animus and that Desmond doesn't get these final moments with his targets. I'm sorry I'm not much help here. Perhaps someone could try and bring it up in the next interview with the dev team?

DroppedClock56
01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Well I always thought like when you assassinate someone like everythings pauses and your like in some in between zone in the animus letting him say his last words before dying (or being removed from the sync memory)

MT4K
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the scenes. I'd rather get the sort of information in them about my targets BEFORE i assassinate them.

As for why they exist. I think it's just a way for them to give you extra insight into the target's motivations and such. Stuff i'd prefer to find out about my target before i went and stabbed them.

IceHot100
01-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Like MT4K said it gives you extra insight into the targets motivations. As for why no guards proceed to attack you (if there are any when you assassinate your target), is because it's an Animus. Obviously, it didn't really happen in real life when Ezio, Connor or Altair assassinated their targets.

Assassin_M
01-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Like MT4K said it gives you extra insight into the targets motivations. As for why no guards proceed to attack you (if there are any when you assassinate your target), is because it's an Animus. Obviously, it didn't really happen in real life when Ezio, Connor or Altair assassinated their targets.
The Book says it does and of course it happens in real life. Altair questions...Connor acts upon words said by his targets....sure they happen in real life....

she-assassin
01-12-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the scenes. I'd rather get the sort of information in them about my targets BEFORE i assassinate them.

As for why they exist. I think it's just a way for them to give you extra insight into the target's motivations and such. Stuff i'd prefer to find out about my target before i went and stabbed them.
Well, the irony of it is, that most of the time if the ancestors had the chance to find out their target's true motivation BEFORE they stabbed them, they wouldn't want to kill them in the first place. Isn't it funny how nine times of ten we're standing in the White Room slowly realising that the man we've just killed might not have been that bad after all?

MT4K
01-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Well, the irony of it is, that most of the time if the ancestors had the chance to find out their target's true motivation BEFORE they stabbed them, they wouldn't want to kill them in the first place. Isn't it funny how nine times of ten we're standing in the White Room slowly realising that the man we've just killed might not have been that bad after all?

But that's part of what i think would be great. You have to follow your duty as an assassin regardless of personal feelings about the targets. I want to question my actions all the way. Not only after having killed them.

lothario-da-be
01-12-2013, 09:16 PM

It was cool with Tarik that you assassinate him and only afther that you get THE information.

MT4K
01-12-2013, 09:21 PM
It was cool with Tarik that you assassinate him and only afther that you get THE information.

Yeah it was and it can definitely work both ways... The problem is so far it's always really "after" and there's not been much "before" in the series. It's never been really difficult to kill a target because the important stuff about them is always told and revealed after we already got them.

How many of us have ever really thought "Man i really don't want to kill this guy but i must. It's my duty as an assassin"... It's pretty much always "meh another target" lol.

lothario-da-be
01-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Yeah it was and it can definitely work both ways... The problem is so far it's always really "after" and there's not been much "before" in the series. It's never been really difficult to kill a target because the important stuff about them is always told and revealed after we already got them.

How many of us have ever really though t Man i really don't want to kill this guy but i must. It's my duty as an assassin"... It's pretty much always "meh another target" lol.
Haytham? I think that is the only guy i didn't realy wanted to kill.

Assassin_M
01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Haytham? I think that is the only guy i didn't realy wanted to kill.
"Press square" But.....but....that kills him D:

"DO IT OR YOU`LL DIE" He`s haytham for god`s sake D:

"It`s you or him: OH GOD DAMM IT.....*SHING*

lothario-da-be
01-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Pretty much says wath i thought in those 2 seconds :p

MT4K
01-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Wasn't that far more interesting not wanting to kill the target but having to? Rather than only finding out afterwards? Essentially i'd just like more targets to actually be harder to kill in the first place on a moral level.

Assassin_M
01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Wasn't that far more interesting not wanting to kill the target but having to? Rather than only finding out afterwards? Essentially i'd just like more targets to actually be harder to kill in the first place on a moral level.
I agree. but please..... don't make it a QTE D:

I wish QTEs return to their original purpose....Undressing :|

ACfan443
01-12-2013, 09:33 PM
One thing I don't get, you can assassinate your target (clearly hearing the blade going in) but then in the white room it doesn't always happen, e.g the target can hit back (Rodrigo Borgia) or the assassin will set them free (Maria AC1).

If the assassin learns that the target shouldn't have been killed, why can't he/she just set them free like Altair did with Maria?

lothario-da-be
01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
One thing I don't get, you can assassinate your target (clearly hearing the blade going in) but then in the white room it doesn't always happen, e.g the target can hit back (Rodrigo Borgia) or the assassin will set them free (Maria AC1).

If the assassin learns that the target shouldn't have been killed, why can't he/she just set them free like Altair did with Maria?
True, Maria felt kinda weird.

Toa TAK
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
So basically, there's no explanation? :P

That's cool. It's gives the series a kinda "mystifying" element. so to speak.

Ayush_S92
01-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, Animus IS kind of built like a console. So maybe when Desmond kills such high profile targets, the Animus probably creates this animation for him. In reality the scenes would happen, but just normally for the said assassin.

The other guards who could attack him, well I assume they would already be dead before the main target. After all it doesn't matter when WE kill them, in reality the said assassin would have already killed them. That's what I always assume when I don't understand something, and that's the beauty of the game isn't it? It can do anything and have glitches and still blame it on the Animus!

As for the one character I hesitated and hated killing in AC3, it would have to be Kanen'tó:kon. I really didn't see the point of killing him when we could have just as easily knocked him out. He was our only life long friend after all.

lothario-da-be
01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
Well, Animus IS kind of built like a console. So maybe when Desmond kills such high profile targets, the Animus probably creates this animation for him. In reality the scenes would happen, but just normally for the said assassin.

The other guards who could attack him, well I assume they would already be dead before the main target. After all it doesn't matter when WE kill them, in reality the said assassin would have already killed them. That's what I always assume when I don't understand something, and that's the beauty of the game isn't it? It can do anything and have glitches and still blame it on the Animus!

As for the one character I hesitated and hated killing in AC3, it would have to be Kanen'tó:kon. I really didn't see the point of killing him when we could have just as easily knocked him out. He was our only life long friend after all.
He was one of the saddest game character deaths ever.

ToughGuy31
01-13-2013, 12:16 AM

You forgot the
"NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHHAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYTTTTTTTHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEMMM MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!" Afterwords.

Bluefire454
01-13-2013, 12:53 AM
I guess there is no explanation behind it. A lot times when I kill a target and you get the little conversation before he dies, I am like, "How is this happening when I was just surrounded by enemies...". :D Some people say it's just all happening in the Animus for Desmond but that can't be true since Altair, Ezio, and Connor all act on or receive important information from those death scenes.

I guess it's just a mystery.

itsamea-mario
01-13-2013, 01:06 AM
The way i always thought of it was that, those moments were so intense that the ancestor blocks out everything around them, or at least has no memory of it, that's why it's all white, because at those moments they aren't seeing or sensing they're surroundings, only their target. This kinda falls apart in later games but so do a lot of things...
I also played around with the idea that they weren't having full length conversations, rather it was a skill each of the assassins had to retrieve the information from the ramblings of a dying man. and that we hear it as a full conversation because that's how the assassins brain processed it. it's not a great idea, but it goes someway to explaining how they can talk for so long.

ToughGuy31
01-13-2013, 03:40 AM
I always thought that since the assassin had last words with there target, the animus doesn't want to lose sync, so time around them stops so that the assassin can have final words with they're target. That's why it goes to the whit or black room, to get the assassin away from whats going on around them so they're not randomly killed while they're having a conversation, and resumes once they're done.

dewgel
01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I always thought it was supposed to be "how it happened" sort of thing.

It's weird, and can't really be met with an explanation. Perhaps it's the ancestor remembering how it really happened.

The ones that I don't understand are the ones in a massive crowd, where you Assassinate someone, and there's about 20 guards around you when you do it, and time pauses.

dewgel
01-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I always thought that since the assassin had last words with there target, the animus doesn't want to lose sync, so time around them stops so that the assassin can have final words with they're target. That's why it goes to the whit or black room, to get the assassin away from whats going on around them so they're not randomly killed while they're having a conversation, and resumes once they're done.
Apologies for the double post, edit won't work for me for some reason - but that sounds sort of strange. You see, the target and the ancestor can't have words unless they actually happened. The Animus doesn't create memories, it reproduces them.

Unless that speech actually happened, it wouldn't be able to happen. So, for the animus to get rid of everyone else so the ancestor doesn't get randomly killed is sort of strange, because that wouldn't have happened back then.

I'm glad Desmond didn't have it, the whole idea for the Desmond sequences is that we're playing it. There's no Animus to provide a HUD and no warnings etc. We are supposed to be Desmond. Although I still wish Desmond had some speech with Vidic. He said absolutely nothing to him, besides "you want it? here. Take it"

pacmanate
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
I think its stupid. It doesn't make sense why time stops around them even after a knife to the neck, they talk for a while, then time resumes. When Connor was alive for example that wouldn't happen, so why in the Animus?

IceHot100
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
The Book says it does and of course it happens in real life. Altair questions...Connor acts upon words said by his targets....sure they happen in real life....
Yes but not in the way we see them through the animus. Remember the memory in Revelations, where you had to kill Tarik Barleti? To complete the full synch you had to air assassinate him, even though there were dozens of guards standing next to him. That means it obviously didn't happen that way. I know it's a bad explanation. Ubisoft should have made it clearer or made the memory structure so, that the main target could only be the last target. All the guards need to be kiled in order to proceed to the target.

Nevertheless, it clearly didn't happen how we see it.

SixKeys
01-13-2013, 02:59 PM
There's really no way to justify them with logic, it's just the Rule of Cool. Sometimes I pretend the assassin has killed everyone else around (or at least wounded enough men) so it's possible there's literally no-one else around except him and his target. It's possible to create these situations in the games yourself (see Silent Worship (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-SbI69x0YiA) for example), so it's possible to justify it to yourself that maybe this is how the assassin really performed the mission. Although sometimes the cut scenes directly afterwards contradict this, of course. :p

thekarlone
01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
I believe this happens due of the sixth sense, the target and the assassin enter into a new dimension between life and death. After the conversation, the assassin leaves the dimension.

IceHot100
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I believe this happens due of the sixth sense, the target and the assassin enter into a new dimension between life and death. After the conversation, the assassin leaves the dimension.

Then it wouldn't happen only to the special assassins who have sixth sense. But you can see how Ezio or even Connor teaches his apprentices how to do the conversation and the apprentices do it, even when there are enemies around

ElvisMasur
01-13-2013, 11:37 PM
White Room? I call it the Confession Room http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20120411.419/images/icons/icon6.png

And I also don't believe there's any good explanation for that. Otherwise, they would have showed it to us. But it's neat thing nonetheless.

dogtobycars
01-13-2013, 11:39 PM
I personally think that if you killed the boss man last and he was lying on the floor this is what you would of talked to him about, I find it kinda weird doing this if I kill him first and when I get out of the confessional all these guards are standing there waiting to kill me.