PDA

View Full Version : Is Eagle Vision becoming less useful in each AC game?

pacmanate
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Let me explain:

In AC1, Eagle vision was amazing. Granted you had to stand still, but once Eagle Vision was activated and everyone turned their respective colour, even when you turned it off they stayed highlighted. Which makes sense, because Altair would see who his target was etc.

In AC2, they let you walk in Eagle Vision. This was an upgrade to the Eagle Vision but at the same time they took away the fact that the people did not stay highlighted even after Eagle Vision.

In AC:B I don't even think you needed to use Eagle Vision that much, but the mechanics were the same as AC2 I believe.

In AC:R, you had Eagle Sense, which was a complete downgrade of Eagle Vision even though the Developers said it was an upgrade. Whereas before you could just turn Eagle Vision on and see straight away who the friends/targets/objective were, you now had to target a person and wait a few seconds to see if they were your target.

In AC3, Eagle Vision was the most pointless in ALL of the games. I don't even think I used it except for when my Contrast was too high and I couldnt see snow trailers properly. Firstly, the game says to Activate Eagle Vision to look for clues for say hunting, in a hunting mission for Connors friends or an animal. Why would we need to do this if we can see crazy Animus stuff from quiet far away over the clue? It renders Eagle Vision pointless. Secondly, why can't Connor activate Eagle Vision whilst running? This one just baffles me. I don't think AC3 ever had the need to make you need to use Eagle Vision now that I think about it, as your Target was always highlighted.

I personally think Eagle Vision has just become a "thing". Like, "Oh its an AC game, we need Eagle Vision". But there is no real purpose for it.

So what do you think? Is Eagle Vision slowly loosing its charm?

HisSpiritLives
01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Well on that point i totaly agree.When i had missions in later ACs mission to track someone i always used eagle vision.In AC3 i didnt need to use it one single time, expect sometimes when i am tracking animals.

RinoTheBouncer
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
I totally agree with you even though I did like it in Revelations. In ACIII it felt like the sense itself is becoming more pointless, more needless and so replaceable with any other way to track down somebody. It's existence became like a standard of an AC game without even mentioning that the protagonist is sort of surprised to have it or training to use it or anything.

I suggest that since humans inherited different 6th sense from the First Civilization, let's try and explore a different one.

dxsxhxcx
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
IMO ACR Eagle Vision/Sense was the best (at least the ability to track down our target), we already have the advantage of know who our target is without even know him, the necessity to track him down is a low price to pay for it and IMO make things a lot more interesting instead of make everything automatic, it gives a detective feeling to the character and make him look less overpowered, for me it was like the character had to analyze the target first before be sure that "x" person was his target..

but I agree that in AC3 eagle vision was pointless, but one thing I'm glad they did is remove the ability to see the guards trails and I hope they never take advantage of that excuse of be able to see the "memories" of the places again...

ProletariatPleb
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Does it even matter anymore? I'm not sure.

It was useful only in some situations, I can't remember actually using it for any reason other than when it was forced in a mission.

twenty_glyphs
01-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I found Eagle Vision to be pretty pointless in AC3 and rarely used it. For one thing, moving its button to the left thumbstick and not being able to turn it on while moving makes it too tedious to mess with a lot of the time. I really expected them to address that common complaint from Revelations. On top of that, the game just wasn't designed around it. It doesn't give you very useful information anymore, and no missions really require it, so why bother? I think I only ever used it when searching for clues just so I could see them through other objects and not waste my time searching harder for them.

I think Eagle Vision was the best in AC2. You could turn it on and off while moving, so it was very convenient to pop on and off. It also highlighted elements in the world well -- allies, enemies, targets, objects you could interact with, and hiding places. Brotherhood's was almost identical, but they made the world turn darker so it became really hard to see parts of the world that weren't highlighted. I do agree that AC1's feature of leaving targets/allies/enemies highlighted for a few seconds after leaving the mode was very useful. I wish they'd bring that back.

They really need to design some useful game features around Eagle Vision to necessitate keeping it in the game. I still like the ability to find targets in a crowd automatically (not manual searching like Revelations), and think that would be a nice bonus feature with the larger crowds the AC3 engine is capable of rendering. Maybe they could make identifying targets a little more work than just automatically turning yellow upon seeing them in Eagle Vision like AC2 and ACB, but less tedious than Revelations' method. It would also be cool if you could skip the Eagle Vision identification and opt for the challenge of finding the target yourself in a large crowd, so the game wouldn't force you to scan them in Eagle Vision first.

Of course, Eagle Vision is just dying to be used as an aid for stealth in the game. I think it should do a better job of identifying guards in a wider radius around you as well as through walls, and at least hint at their paths if not outright showing their patrol routes like Revelations. It should also help show you stealth options like hiding places and blending groups in a more useful way to help you plan your path. It would also be cool if it showed you more historical "memories" at times, like showing you an important scene taking place in a crowded market you're in that you could use as a clue to someone's current location or appearance. There are so many interesting things they could do with Eagle Vision to help give the player more options during missions or open-world gameplay, but they need to actually plan for it and add in more freedom in the first place.

pacmanate
01-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I liked Revelations idea of highlighting guard paths. Not because it was of any use in Revelations but just because it COULD be useful. As I said, it seems like Eagle Vision is just a thing now, but no missions are built around using it. The hunting ones are, but are done poorly. You don't need to trigger Eagle Vision EVER because the Animus highlights everything for you with its weird floaty stuff.

ToughGuy31
01-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Let me explain:

In AC1, Eagle vision was amazing. Granted you had to stand still, but once Eagle Vision was activated and everyone turned their respective colour, even when you turned it off they stayed highlighted. Which makes sense, because Altair would see who his target was etc.

In AC2, they let you walk in Eagle Vision. This was an upgrade to the Eagle Vision but at the same time they took away the fact that the people did not stay highlighted even after Eagle Vision.

In AC:B I don't even think you needed to use Eagle Vision that much, but the mechanics were the same as AC2 I believe.

In AC:R, you had Eagle Sense, which was a complete downgrade of Eagle Vision even though the Developers said it was an upgrade. Whereas before you could just turn Eagle Vision on and see straight away who the friends/targets/objective were, you now had to target a person and wait a few seconds to see if they were your target.

In AC3, Eagle Vision was the most pointless in ALL of the games. I don't even think I used it except for when my Contrast was too high and I couldnt see snow trailers properly. Firstly, the game says to Activate Eagle Vision to look for clues for say hunting, in a hunting mission for Connors friends or an animal. Why would we need to do this if we can see crazy Animus stuff from quiet far away over the clue? It renders Eagle Vision pointless. Secondly, why can't Connor activate Eagle Vision whilst running? This one just baffles me. I don't think AC3 ever had the need to make you need to use Eagle Vision now that I think about it, as your Target was always highlighted.

I personally think Eagle Vision has just become a "thing". Like, "Oh its an AC game, we need Eagle Vision". But there is no real purpose for it.

So what do you think? Is Eagle Vision slowly loosing its charm?

Go to the underground, drop the lantern go to the dark, then activate eagle vision

Assassin_M
01-11-2013, 11:00 PM
I never really used eagle vision in any of the games except when they were forced. In AC I it was pointless. in AC II it was only useful for Glyphs, in ACB same as AC II, in ACR....well, it seemed like a downgrade. in AC III, I used it numerous times while hunting, so there`s that...

kuled2012
01-11-2013, 11:28 PM
It's just..there. It's not that important as it felt like in AC1 and 2.
I hated it after it's controls were changed in ACR, that it made you stop your free flow rhythm put me off.

WarriorAegis
01-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I only agree with ACR and AC3. ACB and AC2, I used Eagle Vision a lot and I felt like they were major upgrades from AC1.

The reason why the guards didn't stay highlighted in AC2 and ACB is because
1) you could activate it any time--there was no need to have full health.
2) 3rd Person, meaning you could view the top, bottom, back, front, all sides, etc. Much more useful than AC1 Eagle Vision.

ACR was a MESS. Excuse me? I have to SCAN those multiple gold targets now to see which one is which? Uhh... Eagle Vision could have done that without scanning.
AC3... was kinda useless. It was good for seeing where wolves/red animals were so you could avoid them/not be surprised attacked by them. However, I think the normal animals should have glowed green or something to make them more visible. It was also useful for the Peg Leg quests.

Also, on the color green; I don't like how Eagle Vision used gold as people of importance instead of just targets. I think targets should have been gold, and important non-targets should have been green.

ToughGuy31
01-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Eagle visions was actually sorta useful in ac3 because you could see clues from farther away, and see some dark areas with it. Other than that, it's completely useless.

Legendz54
01-12-2013, 01:43 AM
I would say it is becoming less useful, but it is the Assassins most precious ability so I don't think it's going anywhere. Even Alex Hutchinson said that they wanted you to see the beautiful world that they created for us and to not use eagle vision as much. It will probably be further improved in the next game.

IronEagl3
01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Well, if they took it out, (since you say it's no use anymore), people will complain about it.

RinoTheBouncer
01-12-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm still wondering why can't they add another 6th sense to a new Assassin? I mean I read somewhere that some had different senses so why not explore them?

ACR was a MESS. Excuse me? I have to SCAN those multiple gold targets now to see which one is which? Uhh... Eagle Vision could have done that without scanning.

It made more sense because nobody just stands there and sees what everybody's intentions are, specially if you've inherited the ability not had it originally in you. You watch, concentrate and you find out, now that's a bit more difficult and annoying yet makes much more sense.

SkiesSeven
01-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Eagle Vision functions like thermal imaging so the only use I found for it in AC3 was the Underground. If you get to a point where there are two or more corridors and you don't know which path to choose, activating Eagle Vision might reveal an arrow on the wall, which points you in the direction you need to go.

BeCk41
01-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I never used E.V. in AC3 once, maybe to pass a mission but besides that nope. It's only useful to draw out targets, nothing more.

lothario-da-be
01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Afther more then 25 hours in ac3 i thought "hey lets try if this game has eagle vision" i tried it and thought about how usefull EV actualy was in ac3. I don't remember me using it once. Probably in some tutorial.

LoyalACFan
01-12-2013, 11:47 AM
I'll be honest, I never did use Eagle Vision unless I absolutely had to. Even in AC1. Sure, it had even less uses in AC3, but it didn't really bother me. It's basically just a tradition at this point rather than a real gameplay mechanic.

pacmanate
01-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Well, if they took it out, (since you say it's no use anymore), people will complain about it.

Yeah I know, never said they should though. It is iconic, but getting useless.

SixKeys
01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
IMO Eagle Vision was most useless in AC1. You couldn't move while using it, it didn't make flags light up like in ACB and everything was blurry. It was a neat effect but pretty pointless as a game mechanic. The only mission where it was useful was the one with Jubair.

I think ACB has the best EV. It was only a small step up from AC2, the difference was that as soon as you turned EV on, any nearby treasures/flags/feathers would be marked on your map.

ACR's felt like a downgrade since you needed to stand still and had to "guess" which person was your target, instead of them automatically glowing yellow. At least we got guard paths though, which made bombs more useful.

In AC3 I sometimes used EV to detect clues from a distance. That's the only use EV has in the game. It's too dark and the colors of your targets are more like hints than glowing.

EV seems to be a hangover mechanic that they couldn't really fit in anymore but felt it was necessary for an AC title. I like EV, but if they can't make it useful for the player, I wouldn't mind if they just dumped it for the next protagonist. It makes sense for Desmond to have it since he had an unusually high concentration of TWCB DNA, but not every assassin has it in their lineage.

Edit:

It made more sense because nobody just stands there and sees what everybody's intentions are, specially if you've inherited the ability not had it originally in you. You watch, concentrate and you find out, now that's a bit more difficult and annoying yet makes much more sense.

It would have made sense if that had been its function from the start. However, it doesn't make sense that Ezio USED to be able to identify his target immediately and suddenly his ability deteriorates in that way while improving in other ways (guard paths).

UncappedWheel82
01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
IMO ACR had the best EV just for the simple fact that you could highlight an icon on the map and use EV to locate it since it created a pillar of light in EV mode. It made playing with the HUD off that much more immersive since you didn't have to constantly go back and for from the map.

The rank Id put them in is:

ACR
ACB
AC2
AC1
AC3

AC3 is the worst just because no one stands out except the red guys, all the other colors are gone and they were the reason for using the mode in the first place.

zzmorg82
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
In AC3 I sometimes used EV to detect clues from a distance. That's the only use EV has in the game. It's too dark and the colors of your targets are more like hints than glowing.

Especially in that prison mission where it is too dark, that's the only time I actually used EV.

I don't even use it for hunting either.

Bluefire454
01-13-2013, 12:42 AM
I totally agree. I almost never used eagle vision in AC3. The only time I used it was when I couldn't really see the little symbol above the clues. Putting eagle vision on helped me find the clues on the ground quicker. But overall, it was just pointless!
They could have taken it out of the game and no harm would be done. Besides the fact that since it was Assassin's Creed, it had to be there....

DavisP92
01-13-2013, 01:18 AM
I think the eagle vision aspect of AC has really wasted the potential it has. There are a few changes I think Ubisoft should do with the eagle vision mechanic, obviously these are only my opinions on what they should change.

1. Do we really need to know who are our enemies, and allies? I mean i don't remember any instance in any of the games that gave you the opportunity to find out that our ally is an enemy by using eagle vision when we wanted to and not because it was part of the story. All we really need to know is who our target it. Remove all the colors, we really don't need it. Rather than having targets glow yellow, instead have a thin white shine on them (an example can be seen in the X06 demo).

2. People like playing AC with the hud off, this should be obvious by now. But when we are playing the game with the map off we don't know where to go, so why not have eagle vision provide a subtle way for telling us where the mission is. We could open the map and select the mission icon we want to do and in eagle vision it could be like a gust of wind that shows us the direction we need to go to get to it.

Black_Widow9
01-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Go to the underground, drop the lantern go to the dark, then activate eagle vision
This is the only time I actively used it.

ToughGuy31
01-13-2013, 03:42 AM
This is the only time I actively used it.
EAGLE VISION FTW! It is a lot easier like that in my opinion. Oh wait, your being sarcastic. :( Or are you? :confused:

XLT sMasHerZZX
01-13-2013, 03:57 AM
The only time I ever use it is in the missions where i have to use it.

BATISTABUS
01-13-2013, 04:06 AM
I'd prefer if Eagle Vision were to just be removed. I doubt it will, but it's very unnecessary. I'd prefer to actually have to gather intelligence about my target and pick them out myself.

Black_Widow9
01-13-2013, 05:01 AM
EAGLE VISION FTW! It is a lot easier like that in my opinion. Oh wait, your being sarcastic. :( Or are you? :confused:
No I wasn't being sarcastic. :) If I was I'd try to add a :p afterwards so hopefully it could be detected. ;)

Kazekael
01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
I agree with OP, Eagle vision is a unique skill, not every assassin have it, it was used brilliantly in ACR, but in AC3? It was next to useless, and that made me sad how such an awesome and unique skill that could be so much more usefull, not used at all.

I really do hope in the future AC game, they make it even much more usable then any of the previous games, because think about it, over on this site http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Eagle_Vision

Look how awesome it is, so to be fair, give us more eagle vision \o/