PDA

View Full Version : The Viewpoint issue in AC3

pacmanate
01-11-2013, 09:26 AM
So many of you guys know, Viewpoints in AC3 don't reveal your whole map, and to do so, you have to run aimlessly up and down the unrevealed areas of the map just so you can have a full mini map/menu map. Does anyone else find this completely stupid?!

I was playing AC3 yesterday doing viewpoints in Boston, and was actually shocked about how little they revealed about the map. Sure walking places reveals the map because Connor learns it, it makes sense, but viewpoints also make sense too.

I HATE, absolutely HATE having to run around or gallop on a horse around the edges of the whole map/random areas in the middle just so I can have a full map. I really do not like this idea of map revealing.

twenty_glyphs
01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah, it was a terrible design decision. I can't believe no one ever thought about how annoying it is that you have to essentially wander aimlessly around the maps just to reveal the entire in-game map. Unless of course they were trying to shamelessly pad out the length of the game. I'm all for encouraging exploration, but this was a terrible way to encourage it. It never felt like exploration, just mundane busy work just so you could properly use an in-game tool. It also makes the viewpoints almost pointless because they're so less useful than they used to be.

I think they should keep the fact that visiting areas of the map will unfog it, including more unfogging around you the higher you are like AC3 already does. But they need to go back to having a decent amount of viewpoints and where syncing with all the viewpoints on a map will unfog your entire map. It's just so stupid to force you to visit every single point of the map just so you can see it in your HUD.

pacmanate
01-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Yeah, it was a terrible design decision. I can't believe no one ever thought about how annoying it is that you have to essentially wander aimlessly around the maps just to reveal the entire in-game map. Unless of course they were trying to shamelessly pad out the length of the game. I'm all for encouraging exploration, but this was a terrible way to encourage it. It never felt like exploration, just mundane busy work just so you could properly use an in-game tool. It also makes the viewpoints almost pointless because they're so less useful than they used to be.

I think they should keep the fact that visiting areas of the map will unfog it, including more unfogging around you the higher you are like AC3 already does. But they need to go back to having a decent amount of viewpoints and where syncing with all the viewpoints on a map will unfog your entire map. It's just so stupid to force you to visit every single point of the map just so you can see it in your HUD.

I know right? In Boston there are also two viewpoints that are literally within 100m of each other. Like, Why? You do one and it reveals everything around that and the other one. The left side of the Boston map hardly has any viewpoints at all. Cant remember New York. The Frontier is a pain.

Dejan507
01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Exactly! I like my map to be clear and I have a bit of OCD so I really wanted all my maps 100% clear and that proved such a boring and awful work that made me stop playing single player..

Locopells
01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
You and me both, bud (minus the stopping playing bit).

ProletariatPleb
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
It is very annoying. I just wanna lock whoever took that decision in a room and play a continuous static sound for 30 days.

Dejan507
01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Better yet, have them unfog the whole map on foot with viewpoints disabled

CC1138
01-11-2013, 07:45 PM
If they really wanted to make something new with the viewpoints, they could have done something like being able to sync anywhere, and reveal the map of everything you can see from that sync point until a certain perimeter.
But yeah, these were the worst viewpoints in the series, as well as the tree viewpoints in the Frontier which are all exactly the same. I mean, even Far Cry 3 made radio towers that are -structurally- completely different each time, even though this feature was inspired by AC.

Sushiglutton
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
100% agree, don't forget to post in feedback thread also :). I guess the reason they did it was to encourage exploration. However running around like a human eraser is not my idea of fun exploration. Besides they have collectibles for that. Horrible idea!

Slightly related: Why is the map so bad? In Revelation I thought they finally made a map that looked clear and I was like "Yes!". The misty map in AC3 is awful and a huge step back. Don't get the concept behind that at all. Also, I would love to have the names of some of the key landmarks and biggest streets on the map. That would help the tourism part a lot :D!

Edit: I linked to this thread in the feedback thread, hope you don't mind :).

pacmanate
01-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Better yet, have them unfog the whole map on foot with viewpoints disabled

Don't you dare joke about such things!

If they really wanted to make something new with the viewpoints, they could have done something like being able to sync anywhere, and reveal the map of everything you can see from that sync point until a certain perimeter.
But yeah, these were the worst viewpoints in the series, as well as the tree viewpoints in the Frontier which are all exactly the same. I mean, even Far Cry 3 made radio towers that are -structurally- completely different each time, even though this feature was inspired by AC.

I don't think sync anywhere would be as cool as I would rather have really nice structures meant for climbing, like real locations for Viewpoints. However, Far Cry 3's radio towers were fun! At first I was thinking (when I didn't know much about the game), that they would all be the same and that it would be a chore, but it was sorta a mini game, every tower was different as they had people design those routes.

Kaschra
01-11-2013, 08:09 PM
I can only agree. The viewpoints in AC3 were horrible. Especially in the Frontier.
I really don't want to run around for hours just to uncover the map :I

Assassin_M
01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I enjoyed running around aimlessly trying to uncover the rest of the map...

It can have it`s marvels

Dejan507
01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Seriously? All I did was watch my minimap and what parts of it are now clear after I made a thousand circles in the same area

pacmanate
01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I enjoyed running around aimlessly trying to uncover the rest of the map...

It can have it`s marvels

Yeah it can also get tedious ridding a horse around the entire edges of the map too! FUN FUN FUN!

Assassin_M
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah it can also get tedious ridding a horse around the entire edges of the map too! FUN FUN FUN!
I didn't ride a horse. I ran..

Just watching his running Animations makes me drool

Locopells
01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
It is very annoying. I just wanna lock whoever took that decision in a room and play a continuous static sound for 30 days.

That's an unusual revenge...

ACfan443
01-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I can imagine someone with severe OCD becoming extremely frustrated by this feature.

Locopells
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Not just the severe, bud...

x___Luffy___x
01-11-2013, 10:53 PM
i really like roaming around in the frontier too :D

kuled2012
01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
The viewpoints in this game feel pointless really, I think they wanted to make historical buildings as a viewpoints just for the sake that we can say "oo I climbed this" don't get me wrong I love history but....this is a game afterall. I also found the view point structure boring, it's just holding the left stick up and watch Connor do the moves, in AC brotherhood you had to think a bit for some viewpoints and find the right path, or with the game I'm playing right now, Far Cry 3 the towers are so much fun! they're all different and they feel rewarding because you sort of feel that it was such a big climb, with AC3's viewpoints they felt dull, the only one I found fun was the viewpoints in AC3 were the Frontier ones but even that, that after the first one I knew the pattern and it was the same thing over and over again

Rugterwyper32
01-11-2013, 11:19 PM
The way I see it, there's pros and cons to the new viewpoint system and something that could easily be done about it that someone else mentioned.
Pros: It adds more to the feeling of exploration. In previous games, it was pretty much an all-or-nothing map style, but now you can keep that feeling of going into the unknown. Works better with the frontier than the cities, if you ask me
Cons: Mentioned by everyone else here, so just to cut it short: It's obnoxious. Really. You barely unlock any of the map while walking around, it's as if Connor could barely see beyond him.
What I'd propose is: A map system that shows you more as far as you can see, so basically if you're looking in one direction you can uncover the part of the map you can see right there, but it doesn't unlock what you can't see (if a house blocks your sight, then there's that) and that they keep the "unlock more of the map according to how high you are". Expand on what there is now. Someone mentioned the idea of sync anywhere, I think that it could work. In previous games, I've seen cases of "That looks like a viewpoint but it's not" quite a lot. Even moreso in this game.

montagemik
01-12-2013, 12:16 AM
The system was changed to encourage / force the player to explore their new addition = The Frontier , Simple as that - they even made exposing the whole map an objective for one of the guild challenges.

As for the cities - Far easier for the Devs to keep this new system the same in both the frontier & the cities rather than add two seperate systems in the game.

Sushiglutton
01-12-2013, 12:21 AM
The system was changed to encourage / force the player to explore their new addition = The Frontier , Simple as that - they even made exposing the whole map an objective for one of the guild challenges.

As for the cities - Far easier for the Devs to keep this new system the same in both the frontier & the cities rather than add two seperate systems in the game.

I think most of us understand the reason. It's just that it doesn't work in practice imo. I ran around the edge of the map and then back an forth in the filling to unfog it. I felt like a lawnmower and really silly. Surely there are much better ways of encourage exploration, like hidden treasures, finding animal species and so on.

dxsxhxcx
01-12-2013, 12:41 AM
100% agree, don't forget to post in feedback thread also :). I guess the reason they did it was to encourage exploration. However running around like a human eraser is not my idea of fun exploration. Besides they have collectibles for that. Horrible idea!

make that way to encourage exploration would be OK if the map wasn't so big, IMO it was frustating see the blured areas in the frontier, then imagine: "wow! there might be something cool hidden there!!" just to waste A LOT of time going there and realize there wasn't nothing special...