PDA

View Full Version : Flying issue

lisalal2002
01-11-2013, 03:06 AM
I just bought the game and I'm having a hard time keeping my plane level. I'm currently using easy mode until I get all my keybinds set and feel comfortable with the game. So my issue is, if I relax my grip on the stick the plane wants to veer off to the side and eventually roll over. It feels like I constantly need to fight my stick in order to stay level this makes it difficult for me to quickly divert my attention when needed elsewhere. Any advise?

FoolTrottel
01-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Welcome here!

The flight model of this sim makes the aircraft do that, and there's reasons for it...

Because the propeller only turns one way round, driven by the engine, there's a counterforce working on the airframe, in the other direction. Hence the banking to one side, and the roll over.
But that's just one single aspect of it, there's more.

And yes, even on easy settings the aircraft show this behaviour...

Any advise?
Use trim to keep the aircraft level, some aircraft have trim on all three control-axis (pitch, elevator, aileron), some only have elevator trim (109)
Best is to fly at cruise power settings, about 60%, the aircraft we're kinda built to be in stabe flight, and basically, that's when you need stable flight, you don't want to be stable in a dogfight.

Here's a link to an article dealing with the flight model, at Mission4Today: The 4.0x flight model...some hints & tips (http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=328), written by Tully.(You may need to register at Mission4Today to be able to access it)

Also, the A Nugget's Guide To Getting Off The Groun (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/610610-A-Nugget-s-Guide-To-Getting-Off-The-Ground)d is worth reading for you, there's much more in there then just this subject though.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!

lisalal2002
01-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm having problems adjusting the trim and my plane is still flying messed up. To be honest I never expected this in easy mode. :(

lisalal2002
01-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Bah! Can't set trim while in flight it's too ridiculous.

FoolTrottel
01-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Well, IL2 1946 is definitely not a game in which you have the option to 'steer' aircraft.
It's closer to a simulator.

Not sure what you are looking for, but if you put some time in it, to setup all controls properly, and practice a lot, and get used to the 'feeling'.... you may get more fun out of it.

berg417448
01-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Bah! Can't set trim while in flight it's too ridiculous.

Which particular aircraft are you trying to fly? Some of them do not have trim (I-16 for example), some only have elevator trim (Me-109 is an example) and some have all three (P-51).

lisalal2002
01-12-2013, 02:46 AM
I think that it's an early Spitfire variant that features both rudder and aileron trim. I'm playing CoD just to clarify and was attempting the first solo quick mission. It's just a pain that I didn't expect to have to deal with in easy mode. The last sims that I played were Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1 and 2 back when they were both first released. I really enjoyed them a whole lot and both games were reasonably easy to just drop into and play reguardless of flight simulator experience. I guess that I expected the same kind of engaging noob friendly experience with IL2 CoD easy mode as I did with both of the MS combat flight sims - my bad.

FoolTrottel
01-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm playing CoD just to clarify
Hm, thanks for clarification. I think.

Aviar
01-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Hm, thanks for clarification. I think.

FT is a man of few words, as well as a classy individual. I on the other hand was not blessed with a particularly strong 'classy' gene, so my posts tend to be a little more direct.

lisalal2002, what FT was so politely alluding to was the fact that you seem to have posted on the wrong forum. Yes, this an IL-2 forum, but there is a dedicated forum for Cliffs of Dover. The link is below. Good luck with your problem(s).

Welcome to IL-2.

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/257-IL2-Cliffs-of-Dover?

Aviar

Don_X
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
FT is a man of few words, as well as a classy individual. I on the other hand was not blessed with a particularly strong 'classy' gene, so my posts tend to be a little more direct.

lisalal2002, what FT was so politely alluding to was the fact that you seem to have posted on the wrong forum. Yes, this an IL-2 forum, but there is a dedicated forum for Cliffs of Dover. The link is below. Good luck with your problem(s).

Welcome to IL-2.

http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/257-IL2-Cliffs-of-Dover?

Aviar

Nonetheless the basic info given here holds good for both sims. I find the FM in CloD smoother and more refined than FB46 and in this respect the AC are easier to fly and land. ( lets not get into temperature management here)

I assign [z] left rudder trim & [X] right rudder trim and use {x+z] to center in both sims - trim to correct torque
also use brakes to correct and assist rudder input as you begin roll out as the rudder will have less effect untill you gain speed
keep prop pitch around 50% untill rotation (ie when tail wheel lifts)