PDA

View Full Version : A couple of abilities that would solve some gameplay issues

Rakudaton
01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I've been playing a lot of manhunt recently, and it occurred to me that there were two main features of gameplay that really started to become annoying after a while. So I thought up some abilities to solve these.

1) Whispers are cheap.

I was unsure how people would react to this, but having just read a thread objecting to whispers I feel this is a safe target. In manhunt, the whispers ruin any chance of a silent approach. As a target, I can simply wait till I hear the whispers, then spring any traps I want (usually disguise or decoy). I don't need to watch pursuers for erratic behaviour -- chances are any enemy personas in the area are my pursuers. Without whispers, I wouldn't know WHEN they were about to attack -- so I couldn't just assume all personas to be my pursuers.

SOLUTION: "Silence" -- When activated, silences your own heartbeat/whispers for a time. A bit like wipe, only not quite so staggeringly obvious, as there is no visual effect. This would allow pursuers to actually approach stealthily and encourage better kills.

2) No matter how skillfully I trick and stun my pursuer, unless I use something like smoke I will be killed by my second pursuer for a big point score.

I personally don't like using smoke bomb -- nothing against those who do, I just feel that killing/stunning a helpless opponent is a bit too easy really. So I prefer the whole decoy/glimmer/morph/disguise school of ability trickery, to try and gets lure --> stun. But no matter how well I pull this off, any secondary manhunt pursuer will kill me immediately afterwards. As they will have been waiting around as I stunned, they tend to get silent or incognito kills, meaning I've made a loss on the points exchange. This doesn't strike me as a fair awarding of points, considering I usually know exactly who they are. (yes, I know I shouldn't stun the first guy... I just can't help myself :D )

SOLUTION: "Haze" -- A short-range ability that stuns a locked-on target within stun range, WITHOUT any animation on your part. This would allow you to stun the one pursuer, without giving yourself away to the second.

Any thoughts on whether these would make for better gameplay? Any other suggestions?

GO! :D

Panayam
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't know about that Haze ability, but the Silence one would be a real challenge for great players to detect their pursuers, I like it.

DeanOMiite
01-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Start with the negative, end with the positive.

I really don't like the idea of Haze. I understand where you're coming from when talking about a loss on the pts exchange when stunning one guy only to be stunned by another. I've wrestled with this myself and I really haven't come up with an acceptable solution, but basically auto-stunning a second target isn't the answer. I don't know what IS the answer, but that's certainly not it.

As for silence...honestly, I love it! This would be a great way to really improve stealth and allow for quieter approaches. it would really help in the manhunt gametype and it would reduce the frequency of contested kills. to be clear i love the addition of contested kills in this game, but it would be nice to make an approach without having to worry about it much. A lot of times in manhunt and even wanted I'm frustrated when I know that any kill I can pick up in a given situation is going to be contested unless the guy is a complete fool. This could help that a lot.

As for your thoughts on whispers...I don't think they're cheap at all. They help defensive game play and I think most of us enjoy that part of the game. I will say though that...if you've managed to get your approach meter up to incognito, the whispers should be very faint, or maybe they should disappear at that very moment and just get louder as the approach meter decreases. But removing them all together, I'm not a fan of that.

Free_Hidings
01-11-2013, 03:21 AM
Well I think the haze thing sounds kinda fun but seriously, why should you be able to stun everyone? I think the further gameplay shifts towards hiding / running rather than stunning, the cooler it is. I am very offensive on defence but I always find hiding around fun. I don't think there need to be any more abilities to make stunning easier, though glimmer needs a buff for sure.

I like the silence one though, that would be killer when used with disguise