PDA

View Full Version : New IAR81a

Bula
05-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Thank you Oleg and 1:C for giving us this new flyable. Thank you also for getting rid of the auto prop pitch governor and for sorting out the ordinance-carrying limits.

In future patches, would it be possible to make a few modifications to the wing guns? The muzzle on those 13.2mm Browning FNs is way too long--they look like the MG151/20s carried on the 81c. Also, could the outer pair of 7.92mm Browning FNs on the IAR81c be deleted? As pointed out in my previous posts, they were never there to start with (sources, Mark Axworthy's 'Third Axis, Fourth Ally,' and Dan Antoniu's 'The IAR 80 Fighter, History of aan Unknown Hero'--the latter in Romanian).

I know the IAR 80 series doesn't generate the passionate debate most other a/c do, but there are a few of us out here who like it and would like to see it modeled as accurately as possible.

Thanks again for including these planes in Il2 FB!

Bula
05-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Thank you Oleg and 1:C for giving us this new flyable. Thank you also for getting rid of the auto prop pitch governor and for sorting out the ordinance-carrying limits.

In future patches, would it be possible to make a few modifications to the wing guns? The muzzle on those 13.2mm Browning FNs is way too long--they look like the MG151/20s carried on the 81c. Also, could the outer pair of 7.92mm Browning FNs on the IAR81c be deleted? As pointed out in my previous posts, they were never there to start with (sources, Mark Axworthy's 'Third Axis, Fourth Ally,' and Dan Antoniu's 'The IAR 80 Fighter, History of aan Unknown Hero'--the latter in Romanian).

I know the IAR 80 series doesn't generate the passionate debate most other a/c do, but there are a few of us out here who like it and would like to see it modeled as accurately as possible.

Thanks again for including these planes in Il2 FB!

FourShades
05-24-2004, 04:21 AM
I agree - the IAR8x series is great - thanks Oleg and team.

Froat
05-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Yes!
IARs 80/81 are great!

KaRaYa-X
05-24-2004, 10:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bula:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know no IAR8x had 13mm Brownings... those heavy MGs on the 81a are german MG131 13mm. And the cannons on the 81c are MG151/20.
Concerning the 81c: Do you mean the c only had 2x7,62mm and 2x20mm!? That's interesting...

--= flying online as JG=52Karaya-X =--

Gunner_361st
05-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Bump for more IAR loadouts and options. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Major Gunner of the 361st vFG

http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1087.jpg

Willey
05-24-2004, 02:57 PM
They had 13,2mm Browning FN MGs, not 131s.

The 81c had just 2 7.62 FNs and 2 151/20s, that's right. The 81m had 4 7,62s and 2 20s which is an upgraded 81a.

BTW didn't they have 4x 50kg bombs? Some sources say 2 and some 4... dunno http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif.

Bula
05-24-2004, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KaRaYa-X:

As far as I know no IAR8x had 13mm Brownings... those heavy MGs on the 81a are german MG131 13mm. And the cannons on the 81c are MG151/20.
Concerning the 81c: Do you mean the c only had 2x7,62mm and 2x20mm!? That's interesting...

--= flying online as JG=52Karaya-X =--<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sources on the 13.2mm guns being Browning FNs are good--one is the preeminent British authority on the Romanian military (Mark Axworthy) and the other is THE Romanian authority on the IAR 80 series (Dan Antoniu). There is a common misconception that the guns were German, which has been mistakenly repeated in several Western sources.

Regarding Willey's ordinance question: there was only one underwing hardpoint per wing for bombs, and it was designed to support a 50kg load.

The Browning FN light mgs were 7.92mm, not 7.62mm. I have no clue where 1:C got the idea that they were 7.62mm guns--I have not seen this stated anywhere but here.

Willey may be right about some retrofitted models (carrying the 'M' designation) bearing both the pair of MG151/20s and the four light FNs. The sources I have are unclear about this. But the factory-production IAR81c had only two 7.92mm FNs. Check any photo of the 81c and you will not see the outboard pair of light mgs. However, and just to make things more confusing, on the IAR 80c the armament DID consist of two 20mm cannons (Ikarias this time) and four 7.92mm Browning FNs. The placement of these guns on the wings was considerably different than on the other sub-types, though. The outboard light mgs were not placed very far outboard; rather, the light mgs were placed one right after the other and very close to the cannon.

It's great to see interest in these a/c. I hope 1:C will be able to do a bit of minor external work on the model in the next patch to correct the overly long muzzle of the 13.2mm FNs. (Imagine the uproar that would occur if the P47's inboard mg muzzles were too long!)

VW-IceFire
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
One question about the IAR's...how rugged was their construction and how well did they stand upto battle damage.

They are fairly tough in game...they take alot of abuse before going down. At least from the heavy machine guns. Cannons seem to do them in like anything else.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"

Bula
05-25-2004, 08:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
One question about the IAR's...how rugged was their construction and how well did they stand upto battle damage.

They are fairly tough in game...they take alot of abuse before going down. At least from the heavy machine guns. Cannons seem to do them in like anything else.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/tmv-sig1.jpg
RCAF 412 Falcon Squadron - "Swift to Avenge"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure about the airframe, but I read that the Gnome-Rhone engine was not that rugged and required quite a bit of tuning for a radial. That said, it can probably absorb more damage than many inline engines. The pilots who flew the IAR 80/81 series also disliked the placement of the fule tank: it was right in front of the cockpit. That part is modeled well: your virtual pilot will be enveloped in flames if a cannon shell passes through the fuselage skin and ignites the tank. Romanian pilots dreaded this happening.