PDA

View Full Version : What did you think about the free running?

the_atm
12-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Now I don't mean the tree navigation, I mean the free ruining through the cities. I mean the vaults, the pass through the dives and yes, even the slides. Now it seems to me that the free-running did not get much attention even though it was greatly improved. One thing that always threw me off from free-running for fun in the past games, yes even AC
-Revelations, was that it was... unrealistic. Now I know that it's still unrealistic in AC3 but it's more realistic than past games. if you remember in past games, ezio would just get into a rhythm and just go, meanwhile Connor on the other hand seems to put more thought into what he's doing. He'll jump up and grab the top of a window sill than pull him self up, place his feet on either side of the window to brace him and than jump up again and stretch his one arm to grab on, as he pulls himself up again he may loose grip on his right foot and it will kinda drop. it just looks so realistic that it's hard to not notice.

what do you guys think? like it? don't mind? please tell me bellow. again this is just the building free-running, not tree and mountain, only building.

Ancient Attero
12-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I could talk for hours about the freerunning in this game. This is what I love so much about AC games and what has me coming back. The way Connor throws his body weight around in free running and the way he uses his momentum is incredible. Even the way he manipulates his body weight in mid-air to leap further is just awe inspiring.

There may not be as many rooftops in this game like in Rome, but man the Ubi team did a amazing job with focusing freerunning on the ground rather than rooftops.

Sushiglutton
12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I like that Connor is a bit faster and sort of climbs with more power. I think the slide and vaulting over low objects are both cool and I try to do them as much as I can. It's neat that Connor now shoves people automatically and overall he reacts perfectly when running into objects. He also controls very well if you run forward and turn left/right. I did that for fun a bunch. Just run forward and wiggle the stick left and right and watch how perfectly he switches his balance :).

Getting rid of the "assassins claw" does cause problems sometime though. I mean that Connor sometimes run up buildings when I don't want him to. I think the freerunning works great in normal gameplay, but when you are under pressure and really need to push it, the freerunning can get a bit unprecise (at least for me). I also would have liked to have a little bit more control myself. Like the slide could have been player controlled for example, I dunno.

Overall it's a very cool system, so I chose the top option :).

i WiLL aM
12-21-2012, 10:32 PM
To be honest I didn't notice too much of a difference...which isn't a bad thing! I think free running as a whole in AC is awesome, they've obviously slightly improved it in AC3, which makes it even better. It can't be made too realistic, otherwise it wouldn't work anywhere near as well, however I think they've got the balance of realism just right, as it isn't very unrealistic either. Overall, the free running in this game is just awesome, and has to be one of the key features about the franchise that I love. :D

cj-united
12-22-2012, 01:10 AM
I noted significant improvements to free running in this installment. One of ACIII's true strengths.