PDA

View Full Version : Wording: Spell Steal

Uraxor
12-19-2012, 08:37 PM
'Take an ..'

Does the original taken spell get removed or does it remain?

Zyxess
12-19-2012, 09:23 PM
It basically dispels and copies - like a Spell Twister that hits ongoing spells on the board instead of spells in hand.

Uraxor
12-19-2012, 10:11 PM
It basically dispels and copies - like a Spell Twister that hits ongoing spells on the board instead of spells in hand.

I'm not asking for explanation of the card, but for clarification of the on-card text. ;)

Zyxess
12-19-2012, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't say it needs one, I don't think take (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/take) is ambiguous at all.
"1: to get into one's hands or into one's possession, power, or control"
"6: to transfer into one's own keeping: to transfer into one's own keeping"
"16: remove <take eggs from a nest>"

What would your suggestion for clarification be?

Uraxor
12-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Something similar to Spell Twister. That leaves no room for misinterpretation.

Maybe it's clearer when English is your 1st language.. but if it can be improved, than why not? Better than wronging someone later on. ;)

Zyxess
12-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Spell Twister: Look at opponent's hand and choose a spell card from it. You can play this card for free. If you don't, put that card in opponent's graveyard.
Spell Steal:: Take an Ongoing spell on the battleground and play it for free.

Spell Steal is already similar to Spell Twister. How does "play the card" leave room for misinterpretation for one card, but not the other?

If you're going to argue about card text that isn't plain wrong, your argument had better be sound. If anything, the area with most room for misinterpretation would be, does the spell go to your graveyard or your opponent's graveyard? The semantics could say that a card goes to the graveyard of the player that played the card, instead of the graveyard of the owner of the card.

I do agree that it's not blatantly obvious that it removes the card from the first place/zone and also essentially gives you the spell. It's not that it's vague, it's just not blatantly obvious.
Now we're at least getting near feedback a developer can use for something. The problem is, if they thought they had a better wording for it, they would have used that already! That's why I specifically asked you, what would your suggestion for clarification be?

Since you have none, I'll give it a go:
Spell Twister: Look at opponent's hand and choose a spell card from it. You may take this card and play it for free. If you don't, it is discarded. (Cards always go to the graveyard of their owner.)
Spell Steal:: Remove target ongoing spell, then you may play that spell for free. (Cards always go the graveyard of their owner.)

In the case of Spell Twister, I added "may take and" to help convey that your opponent will be losing the card. I also changed the second half to just say discard, although this makes a semantic difference is cards are made that care about discarding (e.g. whenever opponent discards, deal 3 damage).
In the case of Spell Steal, I used the exact wording for Dispel and just added the "may play it for free." There is one slight difference, as the first version actually forces you to play it. With the addition of "cannot be targeted" cards, this is actually an important semantic change. You can also play the second version and choose to do nothing, which you can't actually do with the first version.

I would also like to note that if the following card was ever made...
Stealth Suit: Your hero cannot be targeted. (Attacking with creatures does not target.)
...then there needs to be a decision with all these "look at hand" type of cards, because right now they just automatically hit (so i.e. the above card would do nothing).

I should also note that it actually took me quite a while to make these suggestions. It's not trivial at all.

PS: English is not my first language either.

Uraxor
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Good work on that. Don't think I'd be able to come up with something as profound as that.
Thanks!