PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III's ending Analyzed *Maybe Spoilers*

assassincow102
12-18-2012, 03:54 AM
First off I'd just like to say I'm not doing this to bag or hate on the ending. I just felt like it wasn't up to par with the other games and I wanted to give constructive criticism and feedback as a fan since day one. The ending wasn't what I was expecting and not in a good way and I feel I know why people are upset with it. The ending really didn't do anything to reward players for investing their time in the game. There was no payoff.

Now Ubisoft has recently said that they have focused on trying to tell a story better and I won't argue with them on that. The way they present the narrative in the game and give you the unexpected plot twists are superb, but the fact is the story that it was trying to tell wasn't that great. As I've said before there was no payoff for the Desmond side. You feel as though you are leading up to this major, epic finale and tie up all things you've been building towards for five games. But to be honest another "to be continued" felt a little cheep especially with how things ended with Desmond. Which even begs the question why he was a character at all. I'm fine with two storylines going on in the game but the level of quality needs to be equal for the two. Not an equal amount of content, but quality. Desmond was really nothing more than a one-dimensional nothing that's only purpose was to help tie together all the time periods together more cleanly and fluidly. In the end that just made the ending more hollow, because how it ended with him means nothing because I didn't care.

If it sounds like I'm rambling or complaining I apologize, that isn't my intention. If it sounds like I didn't understand the ending or I didn't like Desmond the opposite is true. I liked Desmond, if only because I kept feeling as if he was underdeveloped and had potential to grow and be cool but such was not the case. I also understand the ending and see a need for it but I'll end with this. Where previous Assassin's Creed games' endings left me with goosebumps and excitement for the next installment this one left me with doubt and uncertainty for where the franchise is going.

I hope Ubisoft didn't jump the shark.

Assassin_M
12-18-2012, 04:11 AM
Why is it that anyone who has criticism starts with "I`m not hating" So what if you are ?? So what if you hated the ending ?? It doesn't matter...

You`re post is very good and well-mannered. I don't necessarily agree with everything in it, but that post is great. Nice to see more people who`re willing to criticize respectfully and sincerely wish for things to be better.

Welcome to the forums. also be sure to post this in the feedback thread without spoilers...

pirate1802
12-18-2012, 05:26 AM
I agree OP, the ending felt hollow. And yes, it wasn't on par with the other endings.. Revelations would be my favourite AC ending. Though I must say I've never been very interested in the modern-day part because of maybe the cliche story and the (non)character of Desmond? For me AC3 really ended when Connor buried the Amulet. All the rest seemed like filler. Anyway that doesn't excuse them for being lax. When you include some stuff in your game better mane it good, or don't include them at all.

I've been thinking why Desmond was treated so shoddily throughout the series and then given an unceremonious exit.
*pure speculation begins* Desmond was a part of the old structure right? When this was meant to a trilogy, when AC1 was to be Altair's game. AC2 was where Des would train and AC3 was where Des would be an assassin? Now obviously they ditched that plan but equally obviously couldn't similarly ditch Desmond. They seemed all too eager to ditch him maybe because they wanted him out of the way so that they can create a new modern day ancestor who would better fit the new storyline, and probably treated better? Food for thought.. *pure speculation ends*

The ending did excite me because of the possibility of a fresh modern day character, and the direction where the story seems to be going (that is, not 2012 stupidity for once.)

pirate1802
12-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Oh.. and welcome to the forum :)

TheBearJew32
12-18-2012, 05:53 AM
I agree. For players who were fans of the modern story/desmond parts, it was hollow and un rewarding, especially if you stuck with it since 2007/2008. I thought they built his story up so well from 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations...only to leave with a sort of bitter taste in my mouth with the conclusion of AC3. However, i'm excited to see what they will bring us next, whether it be a new modern character or more desmond (i'm hoping the latter:D)

TangentialShark
12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
All I'm hoping for the next AC game is more Connor. His life story so far has been full of pain through the death of loved ones and confusion due to the statements that his Templar victims reveal during their dying breathes. I don't think Connor needs two more games like Ezio had with Brotherhood and Revelations but instead one more that will forever end his story and leave us all satisfied. Unfortunately now that Desmond is gone I don't know how Connor will be revisited.

pirate1802
12-18-2012, 09:12 AM
All I'm hoping for the next AC game is more Connor. His life story so far has been full of pain through the death of loved ones and confusion due to the statements that his Templar victims reveal during their dying breathes. I don't think Connor needs two more games like Ezio had with Brotherhood and Revelations but instead one more that will forever end his story and leave us all satisfied. Unfortunately now that Desmond is gone I don't know how Connor will be revisited.

Unlikely that Desmond was the only descendant of Connor.. :p But yeah, Connor needs moar games. Not two, just one bigger-than-Brotherhood-or-Revelations game and then close his chapter before he becomes boring, like Ezio.

xboxauditore
12-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Desmond was really nothing more than a one-dimensional nothing that's only purpose was to help tie together all the time periods together more cleanly and fluidly. In the end that just made the ending more hollow, because how it ended with him means nothing because I didn't care.

Exactly how I felt, Because Desmond never "Shined" I didn't care.

zMrFahrenheit
12-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I think Revelations and AC3 had a awfully small story. I would love to have a bigger story in the next AC. For me, it doesn't matter if it was with Desmond or without Desmond, because personally, I thought Desmond was no more than the passage to the real deal, and IMO, he was extremely annoying and dull. I was quite happy when he died (never thought I would say that). So...
BRING ON THE NEXT CHARACTER!

tcplotts
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
There really isn't much to analyze. The story got so weird and out of control that, if the AC fan base were anywhere near as engaged as the Mass Effect fan base, it would've started a near riot. I personally don't mind, because I never played AC for the story, which is a good thing.

The ending to this game was absolutely nuts.

MINOR SPOILER**********************

Seriously, oh hi minvera, where ya been? Oh, just getting some coffee. Now don't touch the round thingee. But why? Cause Junos evil and she wants to enslave you. But why? I have no idea. Now don't touch the round thingee. But Desmond, here's your future, and it sucks if you don't touch the round thingee! Oh gee, that is sucky. I won't ask you what the future looks like if I touch the round thingee though, you know, to make sure I make a good decision. So everyone shut up, I'm touching the round thingee! (erg, gaggle. plop)

And touching the round thingee yields a planetary shield that we were already told was impossible by Juno, who may have been lying, but who knows anymore?

Fin. Thank god. Or Juno.

tcplotts
12-19-2012, 12:48 PM
There really isn't much to analyze. The story got so weird and out of control that, if the AC fan base were anywhere near as engaged as the Mass Effect fan base, it would've started a near riot. I personally don't mind, because I never played AC for the story, which is a good thing.

Seriously, oh hi minvera, where ya been? Oh, just getting some coffee. Now don't touch the round thingee. But why? Cause Junos evil and she wants to enslave you. But why? I have no idea. Now don't touch the round thingee. But Desmond, here's your future, and it sucks if you don't touch the round thingee! Oh gee, that is sucky. I won't ask you what the future looks like if I touch the round thingee though, you know, to make sure I make a good decision. So everyone shut up, I'm touching the round thingee! (erg, gaggle. plop)

And touching the round thingee yields a planetary shield that we were already told was impossible by Juno, who may have been lying, but who knows anymore?

Fin. Thank god. Or Juno.

We never understand what the end game is with the templars in any of this, or why if Juno's evil she doesn't just take the easy route and talk to templars and deal with them. Do they evenknow about the solar flare? And if they do, do they want it to happen so they can control what's left of the world? No idea.

Analysis is kind of difficult in these circumstances. So I recommend just killing the British and having fun with that. I know I did!

avk111
12-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Fin. Thank god. Or Juno.

We never understand what the end game is with the templars in any of this, or why if Juno's evil she doesn't just take the easy route and talk to templars and deal with them. Do they evenknow about the solar flare? And if they do, do they want it to happen so they can control what's left of the world? No idea.

Analysis is kind of difficult in these circumstances. So I recommend just killing the British and having fun with that. I know I did!

Oh yeah thats true , Desmond's ending did taste like 8 am Monday Mornings coffee , short and bitter.

pirate1802
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
that, if the AC fan base were anywhere near as engaged as the Mass Effect fan base, it would've started a near riot.

Or maybe.. impossible as it sounds, the ending was not as bad as ME3's? I was much more engaged to AC than to ME yet I wasn't going nuts. Maybe I'm not a "real" fan afterall. :p

tcplotts
12-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Or maybe.. impossible as it sounds, the ending was not as bad as ME3's? I was much more engaged to AC than to ME yet I wasn't going nuts. Maybe I'm not a "real" fan afterall. :p

Sure, that's possible for a lot of people. There were actually people who liked the ME3 endings, too. They were an interesting dozen....:)