PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question.

YuurHeen
12-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Why can't the animus translate the native language? It can translate every other language. It can even transform how they talked centuries ago to how they do now.
And it is not like it is a hard to translate one since ubisoft was able to translate it with subtitles.

medavroog
12-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Why can't the animus translate the native language? It can translate every other language. It can even transform how they talked centuries ago to how they do now.
And it is not like it is a hard to translate one since ubisoft was able to translate it with subtitles.

Ubisoft added the Mohawk Language conversations into Assassion's Creed III for the sake of mood and feel. It is not that they could not translate the Mohawk Language into English (or any languages offered in the game version), but rather, Ubisoft translated the conversations into the Mohawk Language.

YuurHeen
12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
So ubisoft thinks the native language is a special case. Kinda like you can have no native feeling without the language but you can with italian and arab? Sorry but I really felt annoyed during those cutscenes. be sensitive with natives but screw italians and arabs.

Assassin_M
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
So ubisoft thinks the native language is a special case. Kinda like you can have no native feeling without the language but you can with italian and arab? Sorry but I really felt annoyed during those cutscenes. be sensitive with natives but screw italians and arabs.
It`s not that.

It`s because the natives have become a minority at the time among mostly English speaking white men. If they followed this with AC I and AC II then you`d have Arabic and Italian Most of the time with the earlier and ALL of the time with the latter...

Altair spoke lots of Arabic in AC I. There were guards who spoke Arabic, there Civilians who spoke Arabic. I was satisfied. same goes for AC II.

YuurHeen
12-16-2012, 09:40 PM
just dont see why they need to use any language outside the language we all understand. Story-wise it does not make any sense since the animus has translated most before. For giving the feeling of a native surrounded by foreigners the accent should have been enough.All I see is ubisoft thinking that the native language is a special case that needs more respect than italian and arabic.

Assassin_M
12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
just dont see why they need to use any language outside the language we all understand. Story-wise it does not make any sense since the animus has translated most before. For giving the feeling of a native surrounded by foreigners the accent should have been enough.All I see is ubisoft thinking that the native language is a special case that needs more respect than italian and arabic.
You do not understand. AC I had a dominant Arab Culture and People. AC II had a dominant Italian Culture and people. The Natives are a minority in AC III. It helped create this little atmosphere of contrast between 2 cultures present in the game.

medavroog
12-17-2012, 07:12 AM
just dont see why they need to use any language outside the language we all understand.

And what is the language "we all understand"? English? Have you ever considered there are those who do not understand English, and need to read subtitles even during the English conversations?

Story-wise it does not make any sense since the animus has translated most before.

It makes sense to many of us because this is how it should have been.

For giving the feeling of a native surrounded by foreigners the accent should have been enough.

That will be a mockery to Connor because he is fluent in both English as well as Mohawk language, and he can speak both without accent.

All I see is ubisoft thinking that the native language is a special case that needs more respect than italian and arabic.

Altair ibn La-Ahad spoke Arabic, you are fine with it.
Ezio Auditore spoke Italian, you are fine with it.
Connor Kenway spoke Mohawk, you are upset about it...isn't this a some what racist?

Shall you can respect Arabic and Italian, then do the same for Mohawk language and people.

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 08:11 AM
The dialogs of Connor with the Clan Mother and his own mother in his native tongue felt very authentic to me. Hope Ubisoft continues with this direction.

@M, which areas were when Altair spoke Arabic in AC1? I've heard guards and civilians speaking Arabic plenty of times but I seem to have forgotten Altair's parts :(

Assassin_M
12-17-2012, 08:13 AM
@M, which areas were when Altair spoke Arabic in AC1? I've heard guards and civilians speaking Arabic plenty of times but I seem to have forgotten Altair's parts :(
Taunting Guards:p

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 08:19 AM
Lol. Anyways, the reason they gave for Italian words t appear in AC II was a glitch in the Animus was it? They can very well handwave the presence of Native language in a similar manner. Not that it would matter to me, it helps me immersing in the dialogs when I hear them in the language they were originally spoken. This is why I never watch English movies dubbed in Hindi. Totally breaks the immersion. :D

I also thought Connor saying the last words to his victims in his native tongue was cool. A personal touch.

Aphex_Tim
12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Taunting Guards:p

Wait, what? Does this happen by itself? Or does it have an input like in AC2 and ACB?
I don't think i've ever heard Alta´r taunt guards...

montagemik
12-17-2012, 01:46 PM

All i see is you having a chip on your shoulder about italian / arab depiction in a videogame Or trying to imply Ubisoft are biased against italians/ arabs ! ...........seriously ??????

They did it to emphasise the contrast between Connor's Westernised Assassin lifestyle & his Native lifestyle / culture, to show they had very conflicting values..
Something not needed with previous ancestors .............Ezio was a rich charmer his whole life & Altair was a dedicated Assassin almost his entire life ............So no massive contrast in lifestyle to emphasise in previous Assassin's / Ancestors.

Mr_Shade
12-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Some of the comments in here are verging towards racist..

The game was made by a mutil cultural team, so lets try and act the same way..

LoyalACFan
12-17-2012, 02:20 PM
OK, let's all just calm down for a second...

First of all, Desmond's sessions with Altair and Ezio were planned. Abstergo knew about both ancestors ahead of time, with plenty of time to install decent translation software for both Arabic and Italian. And even then, with advance preparation, the software wasn't perfect. But with Connor, there was no prep time at all. They went into the Temple, Juno popped up and directed them to Haytham, and before they knew it .Desmond was reliving the memories of a Mohawk guy.

Which brings up another issue; the Mohawk dialect is, for all intents and purposes, a dead language. Even if they had known about Connor beforehand, they'd be dealing with a language that only a handful of people on the planet understand. I think it's pretty believable that the Animus translator function was at a complete loss when the Mohawk language popped up.

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 02:25 PM
They did it to emphasise the contrast between Connor's Westernised Assassin lifestyle & his Native lifestyle / culture, to show they had very conflicting values..

Good point. I feel they did that very well, at least I felt that way. When Connor would sit with the Clan Mother and speak in his native tongue it would feel as if I had wandered into a different world altogether.

medavroog
12-17-2012, 04:08 PM
I've heard guards and civilians speaking Arabic plenty of times but I seem to have forgotten Altair's parts :(

Ezio Auditore also recited the Assassin's Motto in Arabic during a scene in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I'd love to hear Connor recite the Creed in his native language in the next game. :D

lothario-da-be
12-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Some of the comments in here are verging towards racist..

The game was made by a mutil cultural team, so lets try and act the same way..
But Desmond and lucy are racist, ubi clearly pointed that out in acb. Desmond especialy towards arabs.

medavroog
12-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd love to hear Connor recite the Creed in his native language in the next game. :D

I am looking forward to that also, it will be nice to hear the Creed in Mohawk Language.

xboxauditore
12-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Hearing Connor saying anything in the Kanien'keha:ka language is cool.

Aphex_Tim
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Can no one answer my question? :p

lothario-da-be
12-17-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't think you can, never did it and never saw someone else doing it.

Sushiglutton
12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Your viewing this from the wrong perspective imo. Animus doesn't exists. Ubi decides what they think will work best for the game. Then they make up some explanation, but that is just an afterthought. In this case they decided that the village would be more immersive if the indians spoke their native tongue (which I think was the correct decission). It really is as simple as that.

pirate1802
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Your viewing this from the wrong perspective imo. Animus doesn't exists. Ubi decides what they think will work best for the game. Then they make up some explanation, but that is just an afterthought. In this case they decided that the village would be more immersive if the indians spoke their native tongue (which I think was the correct decission). It really is as simple as that.

Simple explanations are the best ones. Kinda like how an "animus glitch" prevented Altair from swimming in AC1. More likely devs just goofed up lol. The Animus is just a convenient concept to facilitate a lot of gameplay choices. Nothing less, nothing more.

Assassin_M
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
It happens by itself. There`s no button for it like ACB and AC II..