PDA

View Full Version : New Faction Cards #1 - Stronghold

Aza404
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Blackskull Vulture Rider?

Fighting with orcs generally rhymes with seeing blood everywhere. They hit hard and do not fear death. In fact, an orc player enjoys seeing some of his troops die in exchange for a few Rage counters. It’s a risky strategy but it’s definitely worth it when your shooters end up with a nice number of counters on them.

Instead of introducing a new Stronghold ability, we decided to bring new creatures that interact in their own way with the huge amount of deaths that occur on the battlefield when orcs come into the fight.

Today we would like to introduce the Blackskull Vulture Rider.

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/vulturerider.png

With this creature, we quickly go from this:

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/STR1.JPG

To this:

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/STR2.JPG

And all this for a cost of 0 resources!

The more deaths there are on the battlefield, the less this creature costs: it can even be free as you have just seen. Sacrificing creatures to increase counters suddenly becomes even more interesting as it gives you a discount on a creature with some really interesting statistics. And whatever happens, it’s always a good time to use those rage counters you saved up to kill some enemy creatures. The Blackskull Vulture Rider doesn't distinguish dead allies from dead enemies!

Stronghold uses 3 magic schools and has access to a nice combination of spells helping you to kill creatures faster. If you can’t kill 4 small creatures with your own troops, at least you can rely on some nice spells to help you out. One problem with mass area of effect spells is that, at the end of your turn, you are often left with no more creatures and the issue that your opponent can be the first to deploy new troops. With this new creature, as it becomes free to deploy very quickly, you can be the one to start deploying reinforcements after whipping the board clean ;)

Moreover, if your creatures are poisoned, they’ll die at the start of your turn giving you an extra advantage for your Rider. It makes the pain of losing a creature easier to bear when you know you’re profiting from this.

... Or, you have this:

http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/MM-DOC/bloodfeathers.png

This nice little fortune card will enable you to get rid of unwanted counters such as Poison or Paralysis (oh wow, a new type of counter :o)!

Also, don’t forget that the Blackskull Vulture Rider is a flying creature. So if you want to deploy 3 or 4 for free, you have a huge choice of places to put them!

Enjoy,
Simon_V, Game Designer

Pjovejas
12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Awesome creature... looks good with the entire enrage mechanic too.

Tarragon
12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
nice one, now I only have to find a place for it in my kelthor deck

Le.Rancord
12-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Cant wait to play with that :) ritual can be decent, since it works against infect counters as well.

r3tsa
12-14-2012, 04:34 PM
And there goes next staple for Stronghold Enrage deck.

Pjovejas
12-14-2012, 04:38 PM
And there goes next staple for Stronghold Enrage deck.

Yep, but then we'll have a "pleasant headache" which creature should be taken off instead of this :)

r3tsa
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Meh, there isn't anything like that, if something like it would happen that means you already won. xd

hydramarine
12-14-2012, 05:33 PM
4 drop spot just became interesting for Stronghold.

Playing free cards is always OP. I expect this baby to change the game.

And he only wants 4 might. You can play this on your 2nd turn as Acamas.

Truekill_1
12-14-2012, 06:19 PM
hmm, 6 hp for orc creature, plus flight - i guess too many hp...

hydramarine
12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
What's that paralysis counter I wonder. It makes me think along the lines of;

1 counter = Cant move
2 counters = Cant attack
3 counters = Dead

Maybe for neutral snake-like creatures and cunning faction creatures.

Interesting stuff.

Thanisse
12-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Mother mercy !
I expected the vulture to be something like 2/1/3 , but 3/3/6 for free is insanely good !

now I want kat's finale more then ever to complete the orc faction and maybe use this sweet guy to great effect !

also ability is nice , stealth necro nerf / counter :P
as I assume the paralysis counters will be in necro faction as well xD

and the stats are fine for a rare.
ravager can one shot this and it can even survive an attack from this .
not to mention tainted orc has 2 more stats as well .

the fact that it's a flyer is not as big a deal as you might think .
I do prefer flyers myself , but I would never take an understated flyer over a good ranged or melee creture .

leonid1995927
12-14-2012, 08:56 PM
It is kind of a big deal with my deck. Though it's hard to explain if you don't already get it.

Thanisse
12-14-2012, 09:14 PM
It is kind of a big deal with my deck. Though it's hard to explain if you don't already get it.

ummm what now :P ?

leonid1995927
12-14-2012, 09:47 PM
It's just as Aza said.

I can put them anywhere I want to. When the field's stuffed and my entire back-row is stuffed...I don't wanna be stuck with a hand full of shooters.

:o

Thanisse
12-14-2012, 10:01 PM
It's just as Aza said.

I can put them anywhere I want to. When the field's stuffed and my entire back-row is stuffed...I don't wanna be stuck with a hand full of shooters.

:o

yes of course xD .. still I would rather play balanced number of good melee and good archers :P
but this one is really good statwise considering it's power :P
so I won't argue it will be a good coince , maybe THE choice :P

leonid1995927
12-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Sorry mate. Just not gonna work out for you without fliers if your strategy is creature-based.

Thanisse
12-15-2012, 12:06 AM
inferno is creature centric , and it does fine without flyers :P
although sometimes it's really bad when you have only melee or only ranged .
but it's do-able :P

leonid1995927
12-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Fliers are the filler card for when you don't have a Melee or Shooter to put where you want a crit. As I said, it's hard to put into words, but I'm often grateful for my fliers when I play... :o

And sure it's "doable". Everything's doable. You'll just have a better chance of winning if you have fliers. http://forums.savage2.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

groumph88
12-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Now that's a rare bastion i want 4 times!

Great!

r3tsa
12-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I wonder how it will be counted, will it be possible to play 4x Riders in one turn after wiping out just 4 creatures or maybe you need to wipe 16(that's the whole board!).

Thanisse
12-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I wonder how it will be counted, will it be possible to play 4x Riders in one turn after wiping out just 4 creatures or maybe you need to wipe 16(that's the whole board!).

if it works like Aza described you can wipe the field with insect swarm or so , kill 4 creatures , then play all 4 for free.

Rocambole4
12-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Fireball and chain lightning's new best friend. In a perfect hit, this guy becomes free :)