View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3 is unplayable [Very low FPS]

Juasmo
12-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Hello. I have this PC:

ASUS P5N-E SLI
Intel Core Quad Q9550 3,3 Ghz (OC)
AMD 7870 2 GB GHz Edition
4 GB RAM Kingston DDR2 800 Mhz.

According to the requirements of the game I should be able to play without problems... but... check this out:
Is an example

39 FPS, Low Settings, 1680 x 1050.
>>>>>Image<<<<< (http://imageshack.us/a/img502/1534/ac3sp2012120702191712.png)

Now I turn 180 degrees and ...

The same options.
>>>>>Image<<<<< (http://imageshack.us/a/img152/989/ac3sp2012120702192516.png)

10 FPS !!??
OMG.

In Boston works at 8 FPS... 8....

Anyway, this FPS drop occurs in any configuration. In extreme graphics at 1680x1050 works just like on very low graphics at 800 x 600
That's completely impossible to play ...

Please, we need a patch to fix it.

However, the Multiplayer works at 60 FPS on maximum graphics at 1680 x 1050
I don't understand...

spectatorx
12-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Currently is few threads about it :D

PC community is pointlessly arguing with ubisoft and waiting for any fix from them because they are the only who can fix it. So far the dev team "is aware of a problem" but nothing more is known to public. Are they working on fix? We do not know. Are they gonna fix it? We do not know. What contains patch 1.02 beta which is avaiable to uknown users? We do not know.

The only thing we can do is to wait with patience for patch fixing it or to order a refund from them.

Contacting with support? Ok, contact them and bring them info you posted in here.

Also you may try to do things from my faq, if they will help you, pls, note it in there. Link to faq is in my signature.

About differences between sp and mp... it is obvious, they are not on the same engine, that's why it is how it is. SP is dx11, MP is dx9, this also may do a difference in performance.

Genborn
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Tell you what..

Ubisoft is the worst company for PC... and i bet new generation games(Watch Dogs) from Ubisoft will be unoptimizied like AC3..

Anyway,i stop pay money Ubisoft's games after this.. and i m telling my friends to, do not buy Ubisoft's games.

DisturbedJim83
12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Well straight away i can tell you one thing thats not helping and thats you RAM its DDR2 in this day and age you really need DDR3 1600Mhz ram while your processor is an older Quad core which wont help either but most certainly your RAM is causing a bottleneck in your system

Juasmo
12-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the answers

Well straight away i can tell you one thing thats not helping and thats you RAM its DDR2 in this day and age you really need DDR3 1600Mhz ram while your processor is an older Quad core which wont help either but most certainly your RAM is causing a bottleneck in your system

I can run:

Battlefield 3. Ultras. + 1680 x 1050 = 40-60 FPS
Metro 2033. Ultras. DX11 + Tessellation + 1680 x 1050 = 30-50 FPS
Max Payne 3. Ultras + Tessellation (Without MXAA I remember) + 1680 x 1050 = 30-60 FPS

Until now I been able to play all the "Assassin's Creed" without problems, but this is impossible.

DisturbedJim83
12-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the answers

I can run:

Battlefield 3. Ultras. + 1680 x 1050 = 40-60 FPS
Metro 2033. Ultras. DX11 + Tessellation + 1680 x 1050 = 30-50 FPS
Max Payne 3. Ultras + Tessellation (Without MXAA I remember) + 1680 x 1050 = 30-60 FPS

Until now I been able to play all the "Assassin's Creed" without problems, but this is impossible.

With the 3 games you mention you can get away with DDR2 ram and the older quad core processor because those games are well optimized for PC AC3 on the other hand is just about the worst PC port I have ever seen Hell Bioware did a better job with Dragon Age 2 and they had even less time to work on that than Ubisoft had to work on AC3

spectatorx
12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
For games difference between twoe generations of ram (ddr2 and ddr3) is none or of not full 1fps. Same goes to speeds of ram, difference between 800MHz ddr2 and 1333MHz ddr3 is invisible. If someone do not believe can check on its own. The only difference in performance about ram you can see if you add another GBs of ram into your machine. Difference between 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 6 or more GB is clearly visible. Conclusion: 4GB of ram is enough to run this game in highest performance with this hardware. You should be able to see fluid fps everywhere and you will if they will fix the game.

YaSiS
12-19-2012, 10:09 PM
its not your cpu or gfx card.. Its bad coded console to pc game.. Ubisoft never tested the game before mass launch.. The ones whois responsible for mass launching the game before testing properly should be fired. Those devs are giving Ubisoft a real bad name.. just do google search the whole web is full with complains about ac3.

Uomo_Nel_Mirino
12-20-2012, 07:14 AM
luckily I did not buy

ubisoft thieves

Juasmo
12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I could try three different graphics cards on my PC to see how it works Assassin's Creed 3

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/4610/sinttulo1nl.jpg

6770 - From my sister's PC. (With an i5 2500k) (It's a cheap prefab pc)
7870 - My new graphic card
4870 - My old graphic card

Game performance is the same with the three graphics cards, 8-15 FPS in LOW graphics.

But... In my sister's PC (i5 2500k, AMD 6770), the game runs at 30-60FPS on low and 10 FPS in medium and ultras graphics

I don't understand ...

Maybe the game misuses the Quad-Core?

Sorry for my english xD

YaSiS
12-22-2012, 06:05 AM
guys go to option and set ENVIROMENT QUALITY AT HIGH.. instead of VERY HIGH.. AND TURN VSYNC OFF, now see the fps boost even at boston. ( i hope you guys have a decent cpu/gpu lol )

miranzzz
12-22-2012, 01:29 PM
guys go to option and set ENVIROMENT QUALITY AT HIGH.. instead of VERY HIGH.. AND TURN VSYNC OFF, now see the fps boost even at boston. ( i hope you guys have a decent cpu/gpu lol )

lol thx it worked frome 30~40 fps i got to 55 :D ( in BOSTON ) and VSync Off and Razer Game booster.

Razrback16
12-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Sounds like the game is also very cpu intensive. Have you guys with issues tried to back down all the settings (environment, etc.) gradually to see how it affects performance?

gggggreg
02-26-2013, 03:36 AM
i have recentally puchased an alienware - it amazing - 3.4ghz - 10gb ram - super fast - 1920x1280 - and i also puchased assassins creed 3, But when i run it at its lowest settings (still on 1920x1280, but that shouldnt really matter) but everything normal my game only works at 26fps - 10fps!!! and when on ULTRA SETTINGS MY GAME RUNES AT 2 TOO 4 FPS!!!!!!!!!!! its stupidly low and unplayable!! please someone help if anyone can do anything i would be very gratefull! i have looked on internet for days and have found out that some old drivers fo navida work better than new ones , but im on amd and dont want to break or change to much of my laptops stuff, someone please help or tell me if there is a patch comeing out for this! it would be very help ful!! thanks. greg

specs- i7 3630 3.4ghz
ram 10gb ddr 16000
windows 7-
amd 7970 2gb graphics card,

please email me if anyone one has any idea how to fix this at [email removed] thankyou very much

stedebondt
02-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Hello guys.

It's nice too see im not going crazy. its sad to see its a unresolved issue.

I have a AMD 7970 together with a FX-8350. it performs well. Both are heavely modded and overclocked. I play BF3, Skyrim, and metro at eyefinity (5040x1050) and i get framerates ranging from 35 up to 60.

I dont bring this up to brag.. No sir. This topic is way too sad to be disrespectful. I bring this up because of assassins creed 3. You see, assassins creed 3 only gets 20 fps (yeah, max) at low settings at 1080p without eyefinity.

and with eyefinity with low settings it gets a stunning 10 fps. (Literally: stunning. the game actually looks stunned.) when i turn it high i get like 5 fps, which made me laugh and cry at the same time.

I do however, as all of you, know what the problem is. when i look at my 'GPU usage'; it should be 99% (like in all above mentioned games)

It isnt. My GPU usage in AC3 is 25-30% . Let me lay it down simply. My gpu is being used for 1/4th to max 1/3th. It's asleep for 75%.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no optimisation at all. This game is being run on my CPU.
What am i trying to say? ==> This game is actually being software - rendered.

ancalimonungol
10-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Any news on a fix? I get below 30fps sometimes using a GTX1070 and also a GTX1080.

ancalimonungol
10-04-2016, 02:58 AM
I have encountered a bug and it fixed the framerate issue in Assassin's Creed 3 while making the game unplayable. I have encountered this bug also on Assassin's Creed Revelations. Everything is flickering and you can't move straight with this bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ZTL-IL31w

At that point normally I would get 31 fps on maximum settings and 35fps at minimum settings. (The only setting that effects fps is the environment quality setting). With this bug, I got around 60 fps looking from the roof.

EDIT: And right now the same spot is running bugfree at 75 80 fps. I have no idea how this got fixed finally after 4 years. IT is probably the gsync monitor I got yesterday.

ancalimonungol
03-17-2017, 01:58 PM
I have finally figured out how to fix the performance for real. The only game that has this problem I have encountered among hundreds of games is Assassin's Creed 3 and I do not know why.

Doing this will increase your minimum fps from below 30fps to above 80fps in maximum details using a GTX1070 1440p. even 4k should not drop below 60fps minimum in my opinion.

Here's how you finally fix the problem:

The only way to fix low performance on Nvidia cards is to boot into safe mode and remove NVidia driver using Display Driver Uninstaller version 17.0.6.0 with install and reboot option

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

and after the reboot immediately install the latest driver (which is 378.78 as of now)

Doing this will result in Assassin's Creed 3 ask for Firewall permission again after you start it again and the first time you run it, the game will have camera and flickering textures bug but it will run extremely fast. Enter options and increase every setting to maximum and then quit the game using the menus. Next time you start the game the bug will be gone but the performance will not drop to old performance. :)

I gained 50fps on minimum fps doing this on my GTX1070. Places where the game was running at 30fps are now running at 80 fps.

Juasmo
03-17-2017, 04:56 PM
I have finally figured out how to fix the performance for real. The only game that has this problem I have encountered among hundreds of games is Assassin's Creed 3 and I do not know why.

Doing this will increase your minimum fps from below 30fps to above 80fps in maximum details using a GTX1070 1440p. even 4k should not drop below 60fps minimum in my opinion.

Here's how you finally fix the problem:

The only way to fix low performance on Nvidia cards is to boot into safe mode and remove NVidia driver using Display Driver Uninstaller version 17.0.6.0 with install and reboot option

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

and after the reboot immediately install the latest driver (which is 378.78 as of now)

Doing this will result in Assassin's Creed 3 ask for Firewall permission again after you start it again and the first time you run it, the game will have camera and flickering textures bug but it will run extremely fast. Enter options and increase every setting to maximum and then quit the game using the menus. Next time you start the game the bug will be gone but the performance will not drop to old performance. :)

I gained 50fps on minimum fps doing this on my GTX1070. Places where the game was running at 30fps are now running at 80 fps.

Wow, thanks for the complete explanation.
I didn't respond to the thread because of i changed my entire PC 3 years ago, so since then i can play without problems, but thanks for the solution, maybe could help someone.