PDA

View Full Version : Great performance boost trick! (I gained 20 fps!)

Bluntbows
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Here's an awesome little trick to make the game look and run much better.
Have you noticed when you look into the distance everything seems all blurry? Follow these steps on how to remove it, as it causes the game to run much slower than it should!
Firstly, make sure your video quality settings are set in Custom mode, and close Far Cry 3 as well as Uplay.

- Go to Computer
- Click Documents
- Click My Games
- Click Far Cry 3
- Right click GamerProfile, there may be more than one. If so just click the one that has nothing after it. Open with notepad.
- Press Ctrl+F, type in postfxquality.
- Beside it you should see a word in quotation marks. Delete that and inside the quotation marks type "false".

This will remove all that blurriness in the distance. Making the game look and run much more smooth.

Before this trick i could run the game at about 40-60 fps on High settings. Now i run it at about 50-60 on ULTRA.

Little warning, changing your graphical settings after you do this will revert it back to how it was. So you'll have to change the files again. Kind of annoying, but worth it.

matthewcoff
12-11-2012, 09:35 PM
after you change it in gamerprofile, right click file, set it to read only, then it wont change back :)

Bluntbows
12-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the tip!

TJCracker
12-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Works ok outdoors. Takes the blurry filter off on far away objects etc. (dof - depth of field) But in caves or dark times of day you will get some wanky graphical stuff in terms of textures and shading.

It is a good tip, I have been using it off and on since the release.

In the end, the odd problems here and there graphically were not worth it for the 10 or so frames I was saving. I went back to stock settings of low, medium, high, or ultra high.

kR00kEd.
12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Can anyone confirm this as working and post their setup or gpu along with it?

CTOTOHH
12-11-2012, 10:02 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/731880-Guide-How-To-Disable-Depth-Of-Field

Bluntbows
12-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Ah yes.
Check out his thread for some nice before and after.

HLG_Big_Tasty
06-06-2016, 04:41 PM
after you change it in gamerprofile, right click file, set it to read only, then it wont change back :)

If I want to re edit it? Can I take it out of read only???

Butcherbird59
06-07-2016, 01:11 AM
.. and while you're at it - works for FC4 as well!