PDA

View Full Version : Facial hair customization?

pirate1802
12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I just acquired the Captain Kidd's outfit and I'm loving it. What I've been wondering is, the whole point of this outfit is to make Connor look more piratey right? So why not allow him to grow a little pirate mooch when he dons this outfit? Something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/85935.png

Just an idea. Discuss!

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 02:54 AM
No comments? :/

Lightpex
12-12-2012, 02:55 AM
Sorry, we're all just a bit overwhelmed at the stupidity of this idea.

n97e
12-12-2012, 04:24 AM
I for one believe all games should have facial hair customization. Just imagine Connor with an outdoorsman beard.

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 04:32 AM
After he shaves his head at the ending sequence, wearing any other outfit instantly gives him his hair back. So why no similarly give him a mustache when wearing this outfit? :)

n97e
12-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Or a barbershop where you have hair and facial hair choices. Oh the possibilities. But nothing ridiculous of course

LoyalACFan
12-12-2012, 05:15 AM
Native Americans tend to have very little facial hair. I guess they could pass off a beard on Connor as a result of Haytham's European DNA, but he seems to take after his mother's side a lot more than his father's. So I dunno, him having facial hair would seem kind of unappealing to me, even if it was just on this outfit.

n97e
12-12-2012, 05:19 AM
When it comes to beards I don't mind it not being racially accurate.

CalgaryJay
12-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Native Americans tend to have very little facial hair.

This. By no means am I an expert on the subject, but here in the Canadian prairies you see First Nations peoples all the time. There's also the Tsuu T'ina reserve 10 minutes from my house, we used to have hockey practice at the rink there. Never once in my life have I seen one with anything more than a bad, teenage style mustache.

I've heard somewhere before that its in their genetics, and they don't really lose their hair either. So basically, giving him facial hair would be inaccurate (unless you used the Haytham, European genes angle, as mentioned. But considering how much they play up his Native heritage in the game, it wouldn't make sense).

LoyalACFan
12-12-2012, 07:41 AM
This. By no means am I an expert on the subject, but here in the Canadian prairies you see First Nations peoples all the time. There's also the Tsuu T'ina reserve 10 minutes from my house, we used to have hockey practice at the rink there. Never once in my life have I seen one with anything more than a bad, teenage style mustache.

I've heard somewhere before that its in their genetics, and they don't really lose their hair either. So basically, giving him facial hair would be inaccurate (unless you used the Haytham, European genes angle, as mentioned. But considering how much they play up his Native heritage in the game, it wouldn't make sense).

Actually, I'm going to hedge a little bit on my previous post... It's true that he seems to have predominantly Native features and they did play up his Native heritage a lot, but if he makes a much-speculated trip to Europe in a sequel, I think they would downplay it a bit and focus more on Haytham's lineage since it would be somewhat odd to play as an Amerindian on the streets of London or Paris. So I guess they could do some facial hair if they wanted to, but still, I'd prefer it if they didn't.

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 08:18 AM

But then Natives don't hang around wearing pirate outfits either, do they? There are also not many instances of a native captaining a ship in the Patriot navy?

Also, I might add, Connor's hairstyle already changes when he dons this outfits (he gain multiple pirate-like braids.) How many natives actually have piratey hair?

InfectedNation
12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't think your idea is stupid, but as other members have said it doesn't make a lot of sense. I wouldn't mind Connor having a bit of facial hair as he gets older - but not as thick as you're suggesting.

If you look carefully in game, he actually has a bit of stubble similar to Desmond around his/chin neck. But it doesn't show up in cutscenes so it might be a shading error.

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm not suggesting he be given a barbershop or anything, Just him getting different beards and/or mustache depending on the outfit. Donning this outfit already gives him a pirate-like hairstyle (unless I'm mistaken), so why not give him a mustache too? Pirate hairstyle is also not very realistic right? for a native?

pirate1802
12-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Anyways.. it was worth a shot :D

CalgaryJay
12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
But then Natives don't hang around wearing pirate outfits either, do they? There are also not many instances of a native captaining a ship in the Patriot navy?

Also, I might add, Connor's hairstyle already changes when he dons this outfits (he gain multiple pirate-like braids.) How many natives actually have piratey hair?

Haha fair enough dude, though the argument could be one is lifestyle that he found himself thrown into, whereas the other one is basic body genetics.

...then again, it is a video game, so I suppose it doesn't need to be accurate. Just had to add my 2 cents because as an Anthro major, I like to nerd out on such things.

EDIT: And if there's anything this world needed, it was more First Nations pirates. Maybe then they would've stood a chance against the European onslaught.