PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Score The Next AC Soundtrack?

Soulid_Snake
12-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Who Should Score The Next AC Soundtrack?

I want Jesper Kyd!

If you choose, "Other", give a suggestion, it could be a new composer(s), which can even be a collaboration!

Rugterwyper32
12-06-2012, 03:57 AM
I'm not sure if this would count to other, but I'd like another collaboration between Kyd and Balfe for the next game. Say what you will about Revelations, but the soundtrack worked perfectly and taking the best from both of them (I believe Kyd does better ambient and combat music, Balfe does better music for the cinematics and setpieces) managed to give Revelations an amazing feeling and that returning would be just perfect.

kriegerdesgottes
12-06-2012, 03:59 AM
Jesper Kyd please...PLEASE!

Soulid_Snake
12-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Jesper Kyd please...PLEASE!

Now, that's what I'm talking about! I hope Ubi are reading this!

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 04:04 AM
why not all of them and they each, do music for a sepearte city?

Soulid_Snake
12-06-2012, 04:09 AM
why not all of them and they each, do music for a sepearte city?

Not a bad idea, as Kyd and Balfe did a great job on Revelations, but it might be a case of, "too many cooks spoil the broth", if theres more than two composers. Still Jesper Kyd can do a perfect job, all on his own.

kriegerdesgottes
12-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Not a bad idea, as Kyd and Balfe did a great job on Revelations, but it might be a case of, "too many cooks spoil the broth", if theres more than two composers. Still Jesper Kyd can do a perfect job, all on his own.

Kyd's musical style fits AC perfectly. He uses a creepy, mysterious, cool sounding music that Balfe frankly just can't replicate. In my opinion, ACIII suffered a lot because of the music. Not just because of the lack of ambient music which was the main reason but also because the music just wasn't as incredible as Kyd's music.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Wouldn't really matter for me. I played AC III L too..I think they all did awesome Jobs..

It`s not a matter of who I thought was better, for me it`s who I enjoyed. I enjoyed Kyd, Balfe and Phillips greatly..

Any of them will do fine as long as they deliver...

raging8762
12-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Jesper Kyd. Lorne Balfe wasn't that great.

Soulid_Snake
12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
Kyd's musical style fits AC perfectly. He uses a creepy, mysterious, cool sounding music that Balfe frankly just can't replicate. In my opinion, ACIII suffered a lot because of the music. Not just because of the lack of ambient music which was the main reason but also because the music just wasn't as incredible as Kyd's music.

Spot On! When Kyd composes the music, he has AC in mind, it blends beautifully into the game! Balfe's score (AC3) feels like it's been slapped on top.

tarrero
12-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Wouldn't really matter for me. I played AC III L too..I think they all did awesome Jobs..

It`s not a matter of who I thought was better, for me it`s who I enjoyed. I enjoyed Kyd, Balfe and Phillips greatly..

Any of them will do fine as long as they deliver...

This!!!! As long as they include background music. btw

Farlander1991
12-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Kyd has awesome ambiance, Balfe has awesome story-related music, both do awesome themes and action pieces. So, if there's a choice between Kyd and Balfe... I would choose both, really. There's a reason why Revelation's soundtrack is my favourite :p

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:23 AM
This!!!! As long as they include background music. btw
Indeed..

Sorely missed from Cities... didn't have as much of a problem in the frontier..

Ambient sounds in Cities is not something Special...Arriving, though...with that Boston track....MAN that was awesome..it gave SOUL

Turul.
12-06-2012, 06:48 AM
i loved the music of ac3.

arguably the best yet.

lorne balfe has earned the spot. let him have it!

BATISTABUS
12-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Considering the next AC game will likely be a Connor sequel, it would be odd for the composer to be anyone but Balfe...

rataven
12-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Jesper Kyd, definitely. This guy is something special, and it's a real shame Ubi let him go for ACIII. Theirs, and our, loss. Here's to hoping they realize what he brought to the games and bring him back for any future entries in the series.

And none of that is to say Balfe isn't a serviceable composer, but he doesn't have the magic of Kyd.

ACfan443
12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Balfe is probably already scoring the soundtrack for the next game. Remember, he tweeted "on the next AC adventure" I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Connor sequel since it's a yearly release.

Aphex_Tim
12-06-2012, 09:32 AM
If there'd be a modern day Assassin's Creed game once, i'd love to hear Solar Fields doing a game soundtrack again.
He's an excellent ambient musician (who also made two prog. trance albums) and he also did the soundtrack for Mirror's Edge.
But so far that's the only game he's scored.

MasterAssasin84
12-06-2012, 12:44 PM
As Long as its between Lorne Balf and Jesper Kydd , i have the Soundtrack to Revelations and i think there are some really good pieces of Music on there.

pirate1802
12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Though Balfe did a good jog on AC3, I feel it pales before Kyd's work. So please Mr. Jesper.. return :D You are the soul of AC.

@M: Yeah. I too, didn't miss ambient music in the Frontier but it was sorely missed in the cities. Also yes, arrival in Boston with that track was dope :D

heavynickel555
12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Thought this was cool - Phillips just got a nomination from the G4TV X-Play awards in the Best Soundtrack category for the music of AC3 Liberation -- X-Play Best of 2012 Nominees (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/729580/x-plays-best-of-2012-awards-results-2012-game-of-the-year-and-more/)

Jarek23
12-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I like This Thread. also, I vote Jesper.

InfectedNation
12-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Jesper did a fantastic job for the first 3 games, but I found his Revelations tracks a little boring. I don't think they'll bring him back, but if they do I'd rather wait until Connor is done with - Balfe's work suits him perfectly.

Elite_scam
12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Jesper Kyd.

H4rry Pl0pper
12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Hans Zimmer, my favorite overall for any movie, game, etc.

Rankya_94
12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I personally don't mind Jesper Kyd or Lorne Balfe.
They're both fantastic composers, and they totally nailed the themes of each game. c:

FreshGroundFX
12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Jasper Kyd for SURE. He does some of the best work, just take a look at American McGee's Alice (the first one) - incredible

Sickull
12-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Doesn't matter, anyone who can play something cool and interesting.

TheHumanTowel
12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
I enjoyed Balfe's score but Jesper just writes such brilliant atmospheric music for AC. I'd be happy if they collaborated like they did in ACR, although hopefully with some co-operation this time. Lorne Balfe said he didn't have any contact with Jesper when he was writing for Revelations. I just want Kyd to be involved in someway, preferably leading the score.

ace3001
12-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Jesper Kyd, please. AC III's soundtrack is almost forgettable. In fact, I remember only the main theme. :(

SixKeys
12-07-2012, 01:44 AM
They should bring Jesper Kyd back, although I don't expect they will. Second choice would be Winifred Phillips. Her AC:L soundtrack sounded more assassin-y than Balfe's for AC3.

abbitha7
12-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Please Jesper Kyd. His AC soundtracks are beautiful. I listen to them on a regular basis. :)

DawgfatherDon
12-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Lets get real people, as in real music. I vote for either Corey Taylor or Jonathan David. For those who don't know who they are, Corey Taylor is the lead singer of both Slipknot and Stone Sour, he is probably more suited to doing a movie soundtrack than a game. Jonathan David is the lead singer of Korn, he also did the soundtrack for Queen of the ****ed.
WHY you might ask? because I think we need a AC game set in modern times and a sweet hard rocking sound is what is needed!

Free_Hidings
12-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Lets get real people, as in real music. I vote for either Corey Taylor or Jonathan David. For those who don't know who they are, Corey Taylor is the lead singer of both Slipknot and Stone Sour, he is probably more suited to doing a movie soundtrack than a game. Jonathan David is the lead singer of Korn, he also did the soundtrack for Queen of the ****ed.
WHY you might ask? because I think we need a AC game set in modern times and a sweet hard rocking sound is what is needed!

I don't usually swear, but kindly get flipped and flap off.

The day I hear Slipknot esque music in AC is the day I foresake AC completely and turn to COD.

Legendz54
12-07-2012, 08:07 AM

http://youtu.be/ztVMib1T4T4

misterB2001
12-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Balfes pretty much nailed on to do it. See his tweet from a few weeks ago.

TheBearJew32
12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfFvOt5GPr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaRHlo4B0Y

If there's a chance to have beauty like this in another AC game...it creates such an atmosphere that few other games can do for me with its soundtrack

ace3001
12-07-2012, 09:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfFvOt5GPr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EaRHlo4B0Y

If there's a chance to have beauty like this in another AC game...it creates such an atmosphere that few other games can do for me with its soundtrackEzio's Family is easily one of the most atmospheric, enchanting tracks ever heard in a video game.

BATISTABUS
12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I think you guys are confusing "I prefer the sounds of the Renaissance over the sounds of Colonial America" for "Balfe is ****".

catkiller97
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Jesper Kyd!!!!!!!

hammadico
12-07-2012, 03:25 PM
JESPER KYD... i believe AC 3 is fine...but not like AC 2. NO DOUBT...AC HAS LOST PART OF ITS SOUL IN AC3

gyigyo
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
well in Ac3 there is 4-5 great music
1 in multiplayer menu
2 in ps3 savedata dont know the music name..
3. main menu theme
4. connor theme..

well i loved AC1 music really because of mystic, and cool i don't know but i think AC1 music is the best of the best its perfectly fit for AC1...

Dan Pen 97
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I do not mind who it is as long as they do good music.

ACfan443
12-07-2012, 04:27 PM
AC3 isn't supposed to sound anything like AC2, it's a completely different time period, different character and different issues. Ever played AC1? Well it sounds completely different to AC2, and they were both composed by Jesper Kyd.

she-assassin
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
As much as I love Scheduled for Deletion, Desmond's Destiny and some other Lorne Balfe's tracks that I can't remember the names of right now, I have to say BRING BACK JESPER KYD! He's the soul of AC.

dJ.P0N3
12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I wonder what it would be like if Stuart Chatwood or Inon Zur created one.

InfectedNation
12-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Ezio's family is really overrated. Venice Rooftops was a better variation.

TheBearJew32
12-07-2012, 10:04 PM
AC3 isn't supposed to sound anything like AC2, it's a completely different time period, different character and different issues. Ever played AC1? Well it sounds completely different to AC2, and they were both composed by Jesper Kyd.

Exactly. AC and AC2 had beautiful atmospheric music that hooked you in. It created something special. When you hear these scores, you can not only picture yourself running through Jerusalem or hopping from rooftop to rooftop in Venice, but also remember the mood it created with the story. It makes me think of Ezio and Altair's journey. AC3 did no such thing. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it just didn't have that "something special" that makes the music memorable. The absence of any free roaming music while in the cities is probably a factor

FirestarLuva
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
My personal favourites in no order are: Connor's Life, Venice Rooftops, Christina, Farewell and the Chase theme from AC1.
In my opinion I think Lorne will compose the soundtrack in the next game since he's already familiar with Connor's story. I don't know if I'm a minority here but 'Connor's Life' is probably one of saddest, emotional soundtracks I've ever heard. Some people say it rivals with Ezio's Family but I think it's wrong to compare both soundtracks. Ezio's Family is a main theme and Connor's Life is a soundtrack used for emotional scenes. They can't sound the same. And I think people let their love for Jesper and Ezio's Family blind them. Sure it's a great soundtrack, I love it, but I think it is becoming too over-rated.
For me, turkish composers create the best soundtracks ever. The music in the turkish soaps that are broadcasting in my country are simply outstanding. But then again, it's my opinion, If anyone wants me to post some of those soundtracks, just ask. :3

Rugterwyper32
12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Exactly. AC and AC2 had beautiful atmospheric music that hooked you in. It created something special. When you hear these scores, you can not only picture yourself running through Jerusalem or hopping from rooftop to rooftop in Venice, but also remember the mood it created with the story. It makes me think of Ezio and Altair's journey. AC3 did no such thing. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it just didn't have that "something special" that makes the music memorable. The absence of any free roaming music while in the cities is probably a factor

I honestly think that the problem isn't Balfe's music, but the lack of using it thereof. Honestly, during the naval missions, the music worked perfectly. It got the feeling perfectly, and you even had ambient music while sailing around getting to where you'd find the other ship or whatever you were doing. It caught the feeling perfectly well. The problem is, I feel that Balfe's music wasn't given right usage. More often than not I found myself not feeling the locations because of the lack of music, and the tracks that played more often I remembered. The battle tracks stick easily, for example, because you hear them a lot. The variants of Welcome to Boston and Through the Frontier that play during missions too. But that's about it. The lack of ambient music really hurts, because it's there and it's good, but you don't have the music being used to create the mood. So you don't have that feeling of walking around the town that you're bringing to life that is your home, or the feeling of walking around the streets of a city that feels so foreign to Connor, or even the feeling of being lost in the wild (while some people might say that ambient music not being in the frontier is good, I have the feeling subtle music would help to add to that in certain areas).
That's my take on it, at least. Balfe can do good, but Ubisoft also need to put his music to good use.

That being said, I still believe a proper collaboration between Kyd and Balfe would be the best. Balfe's cutscene and setpiece music is great, in my opinion. And if naval battles stay, he should too, that's one thing he got perfectly right. However, Kyd works better for ambient music in my opinion. He's just got it nailed. And then we have battle music, which both have gotten right and can go either way in my eyes.

TheBearJew32
12-07-2012, 10:31 PM
^ well said, i couldn't agree more.

EscoBlades
12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Personally, Kyd + Balfe = awesome.

But i really couldn't care less who does it, as long as they can deliver the signature score and atmosphere that AC has come to be known for. It is part of the brand DNA after all.

And yes, Balfe did a great job with AC3.