PDA

View Full Version : The Sharp and Sudden Decline of the Assassin's Creed series *spoilers*

protesthishero
12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
I still remember the day I bought the original Assassin's Creed for the 360 two years ago. My whole perspective of the way a game should be experienced was chewed up and spit out in a way that I can only describe as life-changing. From the stellar story-telling to the intensely authentic voice acting to the gripping, thrilling pre-assassination rituals, I was invested till the very end of the game with the cliff-hanger ending. I was so thoroughly impressed that I had already bought the sequel - which had just been released at that point - within the next couple of days. Playing AC2 sealed the deal for me : the colorful setting, the gloriously sketched-out storyline characters, the massive scalable world, the grand scope of the underlying modern day plot and most importantly, that sense of adventure..That feeling of being so immersed and attached to something, it brightens your world to feel like you're a part of something cool. At that point, the AC series, in my mind, was elevated to a place reserved only for Breaking Bad and Deftones aka things that are not capable of dissapointing me. I was 17 at the time, i'm 20 now and I literally grew up playing the first few AC games. Almost a year later Brotherhood came out, it still retained most of the things that AC2 . Although it lacked any modicum of innovation it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience so I wasn't complaining. When Revelations dropped and turned out to be the minor disappointment that it was, it still didn't faze me as much as it should have seeing as how that game was merely a glorified expansion to the Ezio storyline and rumors of AC3 were already circling the interwebs making promises that almost guaranteed a brand new Creed experience that would once again revolutionarise the realm of gaming.

Little did I know, it would all fall apart.

I got AC3 a little late - a whole month late, in fact - owing to some very specific financial and academic demands. I remember being so excited that I spent a whole day in college nerding out to my friends about how much the game was going to rule, purely based on promos and reviews because I didn't need any superficial proof. After all, this was Assassin's Creed we were talking about. It was in that special place in my mind playing poker with the guys in Deftones while a paranoid Walter White kept getting calls from his wife. So I went home, popped in the game, reclined, relaxed and by the time the Ubisoft logo appeared I already had a shockingly huge amount of goosebumps on my arms. The first couple sequences were good.. enough, if not a little bit on the tedious side but hey, my mind was telling me that the game hadn't even begun yet and if the prologue is a hour and a half long, just imagine what the length of the actual game is gonna be like! And then the twist happened and I wasn't expecting it at all because of the hidden blade used by Haytham in the opening sequence. Connor's introduction was cool and they did an outstanding job with the burning of the village and the death of his mother. All of the aforementioned promised a lot of things : Emotional depth, a return to the storytelling style of AC2 and a huge, grand adventure that would rival even Ezio's. After a bit of forest-parkour, hunting and meeting the Sensei, the game began.

Connor ventures out into the city, does...stuff... for people, remains stoney-faced in all the cutscenes(in an attempt by the devs to be all deep and instense, i'm sure), reunites with his father and eventually gets betrayed...but still ends up helping the people who betrayed him anyway...And I'm sitting there saying to myself "It's all good though, I mean, we're not even halfway through the game. Remember the prologue? This game will redeem itself aaaany second now! LOL, this is Assassin's Creed, man!"

And then the game...ended.

The final chase sequence in which you kill Charles Lee was so bad that I wasn't even sure If I should be mad. It lasted 2 minutes and had ridiculous, borderline-retarted full synch requirements and all you had to basically do was press the high profile button and run in some direction. (Brotherhood gets a lot of flack from fans but remember that part in the chase sequence in the chapel where you're on the rooftop and it's raining. It was beautifully executed.) Once again I tried to convince myself " There's probably more to this...Oh wait... Desmond! That's right. I bet we're gonna do some delicious present day stabbing".

And then the game....TRULY ended.

It's already been established that the ending is extremely premature and it's done in such a way that you can't help but think that the people behind the story didn't know what the f**k they were doing. It was almost as if there were too many unanswered questions and loose ends to be tied up that Ubisoft just gave up and said "Man, f**k it" . The ending is an affront to everything the fans loved about the series. People,including the ones on this very board, spent a lot of time trying to dissect every single clue, raised questions, came up with theories that tried to explain some of the unanswered questions. But in the end...........it was all for nothing? Everything Altair, Ezio and Connor did was all for nothing? That little movie in the end where Desmond is presented with a choice and shown what would happen was such a pathetically obvious ripoff of Mass Effect 3's ending it was almost painful to watch.

This game is a travesty of what could have been and it goes without saying that I will not be buying anymore AC games. 17 year-old me would've been devastated. Ubisoft, you broke my heart.

Mental Pedestals(circa 2010) : Deftones, Breaking Bad, Assassin's Creed, Mila Kunis, Dominoes' Thin Crust Pizza
Mental Pedestals(now) : Deftones, Breaking Bad.

Goodbye, Ezio and Altair. F**k off, Connor!

pirate1802
12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
I wanted to give a proper response but then I saw this: Goodbye, Ezio and Altair. F**k off, Connor! .. and though, why bother? Its not like there's a shortage of them here.

FirestarLuva
12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I wanted to give a proper response but then I saw this: Goodbye, Ezio and Altair. F**k off, Connor! .. and though, why bother? Its not like there's a shortage of them here.

Agreed. Lost all credibility in my eyes.
I really loved Connor's character and story, really emotional and moving, AC3 definetly not a downer in my opinion.
And the ending was quite decent.

TrueAssassin77
12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
see ya. i will be sure to tell you how awesome Connor is in the next game

xboxauditore
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Assassins creed is doing fine, if not better.

STOP COMPLAINING

HazemYossri
12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I couldn't agree any more, really THAT'S WHAT I'M SCREAMING!

this SO CALLED AC game isn't MY ASSASSIN'S CREED!

But hey man! this is Assassin's Creed!. there is no goodbyes or f**king off for me, I think I will play it until there is no more AC.

I hope the devs will know what we are complaining about and will make an Assassin's Creed game not a strange game that has the AC name!

Bashilir
12-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I couldn't agree any more, really THAT'S WHAT I'M SCREAMING!

this SO CALLED AC game isn't MY ASSASSIN'S CREED!

But hey man! this is Assassin's Creed!. there is no goodbyes or f**king off for me, I think I will play it until there is no more AC.

I hope the devs will know what we are complaining about and will make an Assassin's Creed game not a strange game that has the AC name! That last part gives you the title of "UNTRUE AC FAN". Assassin's creed 3 was NOT a "strange game that has the AC name" It was an assassin's creed game with the assassin's creed name.

HazemYossri
12-05-2012, 08:56 PM
That last part gives you the title of "UNTRUE AC FAN". Assassin's creed 3 was NOT a "strange game that has the AC name" It was an assassin's creed game with the assassin's creed name.

Okay my friend, the last time I checked it wasn't you who determined who is a " TRUE AC FAN" and who isn't!
This franchise isn't one of my best franchisees, this is THE BEST !
So it's really ridiculous when you say " this gives you the title of "UNTRUE AC FAN" because I didn't like AC 3! It's ridiculous and frustrating!

A really frustrating thing I noticed about guys who liked Connor and AC 3( or let me say most of them) that they think of the ones who didn't like AC 3 as two things:

1- They are fools, poor educated and idiots!
2- They aren't "TRUE AC FANS"!!

There is no third option that they are well educated, natural guys who didn't like Assassin's Creed 3!!

VitaminsXYZ
12-05-2012, 09:45 PM
HazemYossri, it's unfortunate that that's the kind of vibes you've been getting. I assure, we're not all like that. ;)

Personally, I enjoyed the game a lot, probably as much as AC2. The story wasn't much of a problem for me, and I loved all the new things they added. (Frontier, naval battles, homestead stuff, characters etc.) I also played the game without having visited any online forums or reading any reviews beforehand, so my experience was my own, and I'm glad it was that way.

So yes, that's my opinion. In the end we can only agree to disagree. But let's not start calling out who's a true AC fan or not, or trying to force our opinions on others.
Let's not be like the Bioware forums...

Also, TC, there are already a ****ton of threads on this topic. There's really no need to create a new thread just to vent. lol

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Disagreed with all of your Points..

Sounds like all you hated was the ending, Connor and length...

Game length is fair, really.. It depends on you. if you rushed it, you`v no one to blame but yourself.
Ending, no talk here...just not something that`d make me quit an entire series
Connor, you wanted another Ezio...

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 02:45 AM
to be fair... the length seems short because haythams part ate up time... that could have been better used on connor

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 03:03 AM
to be fair... the length seems short because haythams part ate up time... that could have been better used on connor

Your Opinion really...

I didnt rush to Connor...I thoroughly explored the city as Haytham and took my time...It wouldnt be fair If i completely ignored Haytham`s part just because I wanted to get to Connor..

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Your Opinion really...

I didnt rush to Connor...I thoroughly explored the city as Haytham and took my time...It wouldnt be fair If i completely ignored Haytham`s part just because I wanted to get to Connor..

i turned it into an opinion when i even mentioned the word "better" i will admit...

but it is indeed fact that: without haythams part, we'd have more of connor

and it is only speculation that: without haythams part, connors would have been more flow-like and less condensed.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 04:58 AM
i turned it into an opinion when i even mentioned the word "better" i will admit...

but it is indeed fact that: without haythams part, we'd have more of connor

and it is only speculation that: without haythams part, connors would have been more flow-like and less condensed.
What`s Haytham ?? Part of the game....That`s how I see it..

I dont look at the game as just Connor. Haytham is part of the Experience. You can Free-roam, collect Almanacs, have conversations...etc

If anyone thought it was short, because of haytham, then that`s their fault...sorry.

FACT. Haytham is part of the game...Whether you thought this or not is indeed Opinion

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 05:12 AM
What`s Haytham ?? Part of the game....That`s how I see it..

I dont look at the game as just Connor. Haytham is part of the Experience. You can Free-roam, collect Almanacs, have conversations...etc

If anyone thought it was short, because of haytham, then that`s their fault...sorry.

FACT. Haytham is part of the game...Whether you thought this or not is indeed Opinion

question can you craft and hunt as haytham?

not exactly sure what your point is. i acknowledge haytham is apart of the game. i admit that he adds to the story. but when people look at connors story, rarely do they regard the haytham part. and since the game is about connor, it innately makes the story SEEM shorter. despite the fact, it is anything but.

my argument isn't that haytham is useless to the story. my arguement is that haythams part never needed to be that long. he takes up 1/4 of the game. his sequences are longer than connors as well. that is not fair. haythams ending took longer than desmond ending for petes sake.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 05:21 AM

not exactly sure what your point is. i acknowledge haytham is apart of the game. i admit that he adds to the story. but when people look at connors story, rarely do they regard the haytham part. and since the game is about connor, it innately makes the story SEEM shorter. despite the fact, it is anything but.

my argument isn't that haytham is useless to the story. my arguement is that haythams part never needed to be that long. he takes up 1/4 of the game. his sequences are longer than connors as well. that is not fair. haythams ending took longer than desmond ending for petes sake.
Did you have the ability to counter kill at the start of AC I ??
Did you have the ability to climb leap at the start of AC II ??
Did you have the 2 hidden blades at the start ??
Did you have the gun ?
Did you have the poison blade ?

Hunting and skinning are skills. They need a catalyst that takes form. It can be a taught skill. an invented Device...etc.

This time around, they chose a change of Protagonist. You get to tree run and Hunt when you change Character. It`s the Catalyst of ability awarding..

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Did you have the ability to counter kill at the start of AC I ??
Did you have the ability to climb leap at the start of AC II ??
Did you have the 2 hidden blades at the start ??
Did you have the gun ?
Did you have the poison blade ?

Hunting and skinning are skills. They need a catalyst that takes form. It can be a taught skill. an invented Device...etc.

This time around, they chose a change of Protagonist. You get to tree run and Hunt when you change Character. It`s the Catalyst of ability awarding..

i only asked about the haytham climbing trees and crafting out of curiousity, i never needed to tree, so i didn't.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 05:28 AM
i only asked about the haytham climbing trees and crafting out of curiousity, i never needed to tree, so i didn't.
What ?? xD

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
12-06-2012, 05:31 AM

It's not fair to a fictional character, or it's not fair to you? How do you know what people regard when it comes to AC3? When I see Connor's part, I regard the Haytham part. Why? Because when Connor hunts down the Templar targets, those targets, those men, are introduced in the "Haytham part".

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 05:35 AM
It's not fair to a fictional character, or it's not fair to you? How do you know what people regard when it comes to AC3? When I see Connor's part, I regard the Haytham part. Why? Because when Connor hunts down the Templar targets, those targets, those men, are introduced in the "Haytham part".

the only part of my post you choose to counter me on, is the opinionated part. i don't care about those losers(opinion) .they all end up dead anyhow(fact). haythams part took up 1/4 of the game(fact). Without haytham connor would have had more screentime(fact). and just because you are smart enough to regard neutral enough to regard haythams apr, it doesn't mean the vast majority is... infact there is evidence contrary to the opinion everywhere

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 05:36 AM
What ?? xD

ok lol. i don't get it :(

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
12-06-2012, 06:17 AM
the only part of my post you choose to counter me on, is the opinionated part. i don't care about those losers(opinion) .they all end up dead anyhow(fact). haythams part took up 1/4 of the game(fact). Without haytham connor would have had more screentime(fact). and just because you are smart enough to regard neutral enough to regard haythams apr, it doesn't mean the vast majority is... infact there is evidence contrary to the opinion everywhere

Wait, what? apr? do you mean part? I've already seen your 1/4 haytham part plenty of times. I'm just saying that there is connection between Haytham's and Connor's parts. I've already agreed that Haytham's part could have been shortened. Not as drastically as you'd like, but I've said the boat mission was unnecessary beyond a simple cutscene.

Inorganic9_2
12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Why is it that anyone who has any criticism against AC3 is immediately shot down and disregarded?

I agree about the poor ending, but then again, many people do, so I shall not discuss that.

I thought the gameplay and setting were brilliant. hunting, skinning, homestead missions, forts, being able to hide round corners, whistling, stalking zones, animations, the frontier, forts, everything was brilliant. The story was not quite so good and, as much as everyone tried to stress before release, the story was basically "British bad, American good". There was no mention of the Creed at all (considering the game is called "Assassin's Creed", you'd think there would be) and I thought Connor's reasoning for being an Assassin was very loose and awkward (he only wanted to protect his people, not all people, it seems).

Also, I found his huge obsession with killing Charles Lee was just a bit...strange.

pirate1802
12-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Why is it that anyone who has any criticism against AC3 is immediately shot down and disregarded?

He posted his opinion, and we are giving our opinion on his opinion. That's all.

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Wait, what? apr? do you mean part? I've already seen your 1/4 haytham part plenty of times. I'm just saying that there is connection between Haytham's and Connor's parts. I've already agreed that Haytham's part could have been shortened. Not as drastically as you'd like, but I've said the boat mission was unnecessary beyond a simple cutscene.

drastic? id' rather the part be 1/5 or 1/6 of the game. people other than me, actually complain that it takes far to long to play as Connor on other sites. there is nothing to defend. haythams part didn't need to take up that much time. It's almost a slap in the fact that they took more time, with haytham than with Desmond, that haythams story is better paced than Connors. even Haythams story is more solid. there are no plot hole in haythams story. none whatsoever. they even told you how he got the PoE. people never got the feeling that haythams story was badly paced. People love him because hes Ezio Jr.(the guy is literally a nod to him). Tho fair is an opinion. the mere fact it's Connors story, and haytham was obviously a Dev favorite is unequal. Haythams part is in terms of story-telling, is what Connors SHOULD have been. Did haytham lessen the overall value of Connors story? IMHO, hell yes. I want another Connor game so bad, simply so he can finally have his own game, were he isn't being pushed out of the spotlight. Now i here talks of 2 protagonist? Co-op? i was disgusted. but, of course what should i have expected.the native American assassin can't have his own game. It simply won't do!/sarcasm

montagemik
12-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Other than technical faults / glitches - I Have no problems with any part of AC-3 .
Call me a blind fanboy or whatever name pleases you . But as soon as i knew AC-3 was giving us a whole new Ancestor to play as , I expected pretty much what we were given.

AC-B was just an expansion of a DLC intended to finish off the AC-2 story - I Always saw AC-2 /AC-B as nothing more than 2 halves of the same game .
AC-2 was becoming an Assassin = AC-B was Being the Assassin.

So I honestly expected the same type of formula to AC-3 , Which i still believe is exactly what we have - AC-3 is simply Connor's Beginning (like AC-2) first half of the story & i'm positive without doubt there will be AC-Revolution Next year (like AC-B) second half of his story .
Then i believe we'll have 'The' Connor people were expecting/ hoping for. Connor the Assassin , master of his own order just as Ezio had in brotherhood.
Therein lies the potential for Co-op with a recruit/protege as player 2.

AC-3 for me at least is simply the first half of the story , which for reasons that will be made clear at a later date (AC-4 & beyond) -Did spend a lot of time setting up his back story & Haythams , giving us for the first time any real insight into the Templar perspective.

Nothing unneccessary in AC-3 storywise from what i've played & learned throughout the AC series.

Until the final ever AC game ends i'll reserve any final judgement on the series & stand by my opinion that AC is the best game series on the current generation of consoles..