PDA

View Full Version : The Creators of Assassinís Creed III interview on Kotaku - Hints for more Connor

FirestarLuva
12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
http://kotaku.com/5965634/ask-the-creators-of-assassins-creed-iii-questions-theyre-here-to-answer-them-right-now

Can't believe I missed this. Everyone's question got answered by either Matt or Alex. Ugh!
Anyway, for those who don't want to bother reading it, here's what they talked about;

1. They are aware the game still has bugs, they will continue to polish it.
2. Alex wishes he had a few more months for AC3 so they can clear out all the bugs/glitches.
3. The reason the dyes don't appear in the cutscenes is because all the cutscenes are rendered in a higher resolution, and they couldn't find high res for all the dyes.
4. They didn't want all the questions to be resolved in AC3, because they didn't want to run out of ideas for future games.
5. About a trilogy for Connor, Alex says they have great plans where to continue and will announce it soon.
6. The reason some of the futures that were in the Ezio games weren't in AC3 is because they built them simultaneously. Neither tried to copy what the other did.
7. The next game will be amazing. (Hint at Connor)
8. They didn't add rival tribes/canoes because the game had too much content already.
9. They had a hard time finding native american actors for the game.
10. They skipped most of Connor's training because it was already present in previous games.
11. They made the Haytham prologue because they wanted to put a greater emphasis on the villians.
12. The twist with Juno will have a big role in future games.
13. The DLC productions started after AC3, so nothing was cut from the actual game.
14. Their main goal was to not make Connor generic. He was much harder to develop than Haytham because of the large amount of heroic archetypes that are present today. Haytham was more like an evil James Bond.
15. The etymology of Haytham's name is not Arabic, it's Anglo European.
16. The puzzles will make a comeback.
17. The devs wont' 'milk' Connor like Ezio and will put a lot of effort if he is to eventually have a sequel(s).

InfectedNation
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
This thread has my seal of approval :)

ARRRGHHH I want info on the next game now

kriegerdesgottes
12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
The most interesting thing I noticed about the interview was how Hutchinson pretty much confirmed that Desmond will not come back. So if Connor does come back, I wonder who they will use to view Connor's memories. It's very clear though that work is already long underway on the next game. I just hope they take more than one year to make it,

FirestarLuva
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
The most interesting thing I noticed about the interview was how Hutchinson pretty much confirmed that Desmond will not come back. So if Connor does come back, I wonder who they will use to view Connor's memories. It's very clear though that work is already long underway on the next game. I just hope they take more than one year to make it,

I wouldn't mind them taking their time with another Connor game and releasing it in 2014 with the same story length as AC2 and more side missions. Alex did say they will proceed very carefully for a Connor sequel, so I have faith in them. It's obvious Connor will return. :3

True_Assassin92
12-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I lolled right there! Hopefully it's better than this one, because their promises aren't worth that much nowadays!

ProdiGurl
12-05-2012, 04:46 PM
>>16. The puzzles will make a comeback. <<

I am XCITED now !!! Please, some mystery!! :D

Thank God, I hope this puts some complaining to bed and all that above makes perfect sense.
This is why I don't sit and prejudge why they do what they do. I either like it or I don't - but the game is always fun and entertaining for me and I appreciate all they do.

AdrianJacek
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
http://kotaku.com/5965634/ask-the-creators-of-assassins-creed-iii-questions-theyre-here-to-answer-them-right-now

Can't believe I missed this. Everyone's question got answered by either Matt or Alex. Ugh!
Anyway, for those who don't want to bother reading it, here's what they talked about;

1. They are aware the game still has bugs, they will continue to polish it.
2. Alex wishes he had a few more months for AC3 so they can clear out all the bugs/glitches.
3. The reason the dyes don't appear in the cutscenes is because all the cutscenes are rendered in a higher resolution, and they couldn't find high res for all the dyes.
4. They didn't want all the questions to be resolved in AC3, because they didn't want to run out of ideas for future games.
5. About a trilogy for Connor, Alex says they have great plans where to continue and will announce it soon.
6. The reason some of the futures that were in the Ezio games weren't in AC3 is because they built them simultaneously. Neither tried to copy what the other did.
8. They didn't add rival tribes/canoes because the game had too much content already.
9. They had a hard time finding native american actors for the game.
10. They skipped most of Connor's training because it was already present in previous games.
11. They made the Haytham prologue because they wanted to put a greater emphasis on the villians.
12. The twist with Juno will have a big role in future games.
13. The DLC productions started after AC3, so nothing was cut from the actual game.
14. Their main goal was to not make Connor generic. He was much harder to develop than Haytham because of the large amount of heroic archetypes that are present today. Haytham was more like an evil James Bond.
16. The puzzles will make a comeback.
17. The devs wont' 'milk' Connor like Ezio and will put a lot of effort if he is to eventually have a sequel(s).
7. Well, no s*it. :P
10. If they kept it people would whine even more. :/
11. The prologue was great. One of the best prologues I have ever experienced.
12. Makes you think... how many games will they make? Surely they wont just make AC4, Kill Juno, Rikkin and Erudito and call it a day. :P
14. Overall Haytham felt like a red herring. :P It's like we're gonna get a similar character to Ezio that will even have his own Leo - Ben Franklin. And then - NOPE, Chuck Templar.

>>16. The puzzles will make a comeback. <<

I am XCITED now !!! Please, some mystery!! :D

Thank God, I hope this puts some complaining to bed and all that above makes perfect sense.
This is why I don't sit and prejudge why they do what they do. I either like it or I don't - but the game is always fun and entertaining for me and I appreciate all they do.
I think they didn't put Animus-based puzzles into AC3 because, you know - 16 is dead and brand new Glypsh or Rifts or whatever would just confuse us. So it was a better idea not to have them untill Desmond's story was over. Besides, I myself see no reason for Erudito to give Desy any logical conundrums. He wants to open people's minds and D already knew everything. :P He was also busy with saving the world among other little things.
But for future games? Yeah, I can see it working. Erudito likes to test people (Multi Challenges and Citizens E).

Ps.: People still mistake TWCB for aliens? Sheesh...

TrueAssassin77
12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
YES!!! CONNOR FTW!!! NO HAYTHAM(evil james bond) IN NEXT GAME FTW!!! BIG PLANS FOR CONNOR FTW!!! YES!!!

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 05:03 PM
I am not getting my hopes up for the next game, they will focus way to much on the historic part and fail to give us any pay off in the modern story line... that way i'm not annoyed when i play it

AdrianJacek
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I am not getting my hopes up for the next game, they will focus way to much on the historic part and fail to give us any pay off in the modern story line... that way i'm not annoyed when i play it

Silly, you play the modern storyine ALL THE TIME. :P

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Silly, you play the modern storyine ALL THE TIME. :P
oh, i missed that part, I want a game focused more on the modern part. God ****it, i hate it when people say "i just like the history part" it's like.... WHY YOU NO LIKE DESMOND?!?!?!?!?!

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 05:31 PM

I certainly hope so, I'm so sick of the modern story, its gotten so convoluted. I gotta say, I just don't care about the TWCB angle, the whole thing's a little silly to me. But of course that's just my opinion.

And I wished someone would've asked about the ambient music. I just hope they realize we really want it back for the next games. Pumped that it sounds like Connor should return though. 6 sequences isn't enough for someone they spent 3 years developing.

FirestarLuva
12-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I certainly hope so, I'm so sick of the modern story, its gotten so convoluted. I gotta say, I just don't care about the TWCB angle, the whole thing's a little silly to me. But of course that's just my opinion.

And I wished someone would've asked about the ambient music. I just hope they realize we really want it back for the next games. Pumped that it sounds like Connor should return though. 6 sequences isn't enough for someone they spent 3 years developing.

9 sequences actually. And I agree, Connor deserves more and it seems he will get more. If they don't want to make a trilogy, then at least let his next game have 12 sequences, main story as long as AC2 plus side stuff. I wouldn't mind it being released in 2014, rather than 2013. They'll have more time. And I hope they don't push the game to the extreme like AC3 with adding so many new features. They can actually tweak and develop the present ones more (naval battles, hunting, etc.) and also include the one's they couldn't, like carrying musket on the back, canoeing, diving underwater. I hope they put the most emphasis on the story though, if the next one is Connor's last, I hope they do something that will make Connor memoriable as a video game character as much as Ezio. In the end of AC3, Connor wasn't the same he was in sequence 6, (if you guys played the epilogue I'm sure it's evident he has changed for the better), and I hope we get to explore the new side of Connor we briefly saw at the end of AC3.

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 05:41 PM

I love the modern day part, that's my favorite part of the game, i meant they will fail in giving us any modern day story seeing how AC3 went down.

What's up with the music? i didn't mind it, connors theme was amazing, and the music while playing desmond's missions gave it a nice modern sci-fi feel if you get what i mean haha

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 05:50 PM
9 sequences actually. And I agree, Connor deserves more and it seems he will get more. If they don't want to make a trilogy, then at least let his next game have 12 sequences, main story as long as AC2 plus side stuff. I wouldn't mind it being released in 2014, rather than 2013. They'll have more time. And I hope they don't push the game to the extreme like AC3 with adding so many new features. They can actually tweak and develop the present ones more (naval battles, hunting, etc.) and also include the one's they couldn't, like carrying musket on the back, canoeing, diving underwater. I hope they put the most emphasis on the story though, if the next one is Connor's last, I hope they do something that will make Connor memoriable as a video game character as much as Ezio. In the end of AC3, Connor wasn't the same he was in sequence 6, (if you guys played the epilogue I'm sure it's evident he has changed for the better), and I hope we get to explore the new side of Connor we briefly saw at the end of AC3.

Agreed. I loved this game, but I couldn't help but get the feeling at times that they bit off more than they could chew. I love where their heads were at, but in hindsight it was probably a little too much. I agree, for the smaller ACB-type sequel, refine what you have (like filling up the awesome Frontier they designed), don't worry so much about cramming a lot of new things in there.

I also would normally totally agree with taking a year off to refine it more, but just because its late 2012 and the new consoles are supposed to be out in a year or so, I hope they release a Connor sequel next year. Just because I'm worried that waiting means it will 100% be on next gen, meaning they'll have to redesign everything, which I fear leaves it to chance of leaving Connor/Frontier, etc behind. I just see so much potential in the Frontier if they filled it up more + REAL random events, it'd be a shame if it didn't get another go.

andreja110s
12-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Weird. In AC Forsaken it says Haytham is an arabic name...

ACfan443
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
It continues to annoy me how the devs avoid answering questions properly, for example:
It was thought that assassins creed 3 would be the end of the series, or atleast would tie up all of the major loose ends of the series. However, the ending of assassins creed 3 compromised the entire series as it killed off desmond and shifted the story line from averting a prophecy disaster event to a more sci-fi story in which you now have to stop an alien AI from taking over humanity. So I guess my question is, was this change in the story planned from the very start, or was this done by executives at Ubisoft to milk the series for all its worth? Fans feel cheated that desmond was supposed to finally be this super assassin with the skills from some of the greatest assassins, but instead we get a short amount of time playing desmond and then he dies.

Alex: Any story that goes on long enough will result in death. It was Desmond's fate to eventual fulfill his destiny, and avert the disaster foretold in the earlier games. What happened with Juno (and they ain't aliens!) will play a role in the future, but those First Civ peeps have been around since the start.

Ignoring the bit about him calling them aliens, the asker actually has a point. The modern day story was poorly executed from the Desmond missions through to the ending. The question asks why after building Desmond up, was he barely given any play time or proper missions. Alex just talks about his death and disregards what the question actually asks. To be honest the truth hurts, the series is milked.

In another question, Alex said he wanted to hold back more answers and keep them for future titles, and that he thought too much was given away in AC3. I laughed. I don't know which non-existent answers he was referring to, but there certainly wasn't "too much given away", what utter rubbish. The fact that they want to stretch out this story so far has affected the story of AC3.

Alex: There are lots of storylines still to be resolved: we dealt with as many as we could, from Desmond's role, to the solar flare and impending end of the world date, to Juno and Minerva and various others. To be honest, we probably should have tried to answer less questions and left those for potential future games, but we wanted to clear the deck a little and try and finish off a bunch of storylines for long term fans.

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I love the modern day part, that's my favorite part of the game, i meant they will fail in giving us any modern day story seeing how AC3 went down.

What's up with the music? i didn't mind it, connors theme was amazing, and the music while playing desmond's missions gave it a nice modern sci-fi feel if you get what i mean haha

Ya I loved the music they used too. That's my point, I want more of it. I free roam a TON in these games (was at 62hrs when I finally beat story mode), and having to do it in silence was disappointing, just gave it a hollow feel. Just slows down the whole experience.

And fair enough on the sci-fi bit, that's just where we're different I guess. Personally, I've just never been a big sci-fi person. I read all the time and I can't even tell you the last time I read a fiction novel, that's just me. And TWCB, their weird outfits/helmets, their futuristic, glass world, etc, is just too sci-fi'ish for me, just doesn't appeal. Haha I guess what I'm saying is, my nerdiness is rooted as a history/culture nerd, not a sci-fi one. Hence why I never want to come out of the Animus.

I actually was REALLY into Desmond's story during AC1 and the start of AC2. But after that it just went off in so many crazy directions, I guess I just sort of lost interest in it.

EDIT: Oh, and after reading that link from OP, just wanted to say thanks to the OP for doing all that. When I just read the post I assumed they just copied/pasted that, but after clicking the link, I now realize they went out of their way to give as an quick, easy rundown of each answer. Nice work dude

Rhazalu
12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
I lolled right there! Hopefully it's better than this one, because their promises aren't worth that much nowadays!
Lol'ed my self when i read it as well. For the next game, i'm just going to set my expectations so low they can't possibly screw it up for me.

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
It continues to annoy me how the devs avoid answering questions properly, for example:

Ignoring the bit about him calling them aliens, the asker actually has a point. The modern day story was poorly executed from the Desmond missions through to the ending. The question asks why after building Desmond up, was he barely given any play time or proper missions. Alex just talks about his death and disregards what the question actually asks. To be honest the truth hurts, the series is milked.

In another question, Alex said he wanted to hold back more answers and keep them for future titles, and that he thought too much was given away in AC3. I laughed. I don't know which non-existent answers he was referring to, but there certainly wasn't "too much given away", what utter rubbish. The fact that they want to stretch out this story so far has affected the story of AC3.

argh i know. What was answers? there was more questions then answers, how the hell do they not understand this! they reacted the same way on the AMA they did on reddit... looks like AC3 isn't the last game....

Assassin_M
12-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Some answers are mind-boggling

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
When asked if the lucy plot was planned since day 1, alex answered:

Thanks! On the Lucy issue, things change continually as we refine our plans, for various reasons but we try to stay consistent and cogent between games and I think we do a pretty good job.

oh... I just love this, especially the part where he mentioned "stay consistent"

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Sounds like you originally were able to kill those orphan kids. They really should've left that in...

EDIT: And sounds like beavers used to be able to swim. No wonder they were such sitting ducks out there. Not that I`m complaining, those pelts were worth a lot.

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Sounds like you originally were able to kill those orphan kids. They really should've left that in...

That's messed up man

Assassin_M
12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
When asked if the lucy plot was planned since day 1, alex answered:

oh... I just love this, especially the part where he mentioned "stay consistent"
How the hell can someone praise himself ?? That`s not right..

I think i`v never seen a CD do that before...

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 06:41 PM
That's messed up man

Haha I`m joking, I thought that`d be more clear. Point being, those kids were annoying.

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 06:44 PM

It wasn't the worse thing possible, but some of the writing was done very poorly and it's annoying how they don't recognize this. They are more then willing to accept positive feed back but I have actually never seen a case where they have answered too or accepted some constructive criticism. Yeah these guys would get badgered with stupid fans saying "ZOMG WHY UBI YOU MADE AC3 SO ****!!!!" But they should recognize some of our claims...

I'm hoping escoblades/loomer do a podcast with either corey may or alex to just discuss these things, I have some questions, that i would like answered, simple as that.

Will_Lucky
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Watching it on the night just made me angry. Some of them answers just drove me up the wall. He seemed to deny there was any cut content, then goes onto to describe cut content.

The one that got me was the question about Brotherhood/Revelations features that didn't carry over, he simply said that they didn't carry over because they were made at the same time. The example given was walking alongside a character...it was included Desmond did it in the modern era but Connor for some reason couldn't. The 2 wheels in Revelations to pick weapons was changed for an entirely new feature which took you to a separate interface away from the combat. They could have easily carried over many features because they were done, instead they ignored a lot.

Hell I think he admitted Lucy died as a last minute decision (which I think we all knew about anyway). The reasoning for skipping the Assassin ceremony seemed...poor, same with his reasoning for Desmonds death.

The hinting we will have a Connor sequel soon also annoyed me to no end. Hutchinson is dragging this franchise into the ground.

Rhazalu
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM

I think he just thought: "F it! Let's just do whatever comes to mind" - then this thought popped in several times... WELCOME TO ASSASSIN'S CREED 3.
But no really AC3 was disappointing and it makes me both angry and sad. There are so many things i can't even begin to comprehend how they could mess up i just... yeah.

AdrianJacek
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM

EDIT: And sounds like beavers used to be able to swim. No wonder they were such sitting ducks out there. Not that I`m complaining, those pelts were worth a lot.
Thanks to Connor beavers are extinct in the game's universe.

D.I.D.
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Haha I`m joking, I thought that`d be more clear. Point being, those kids were annoying.

:)

I think their suggestion that it was ever possible to kill the orphans was tongue-in-cheek joke anyway, to tease the people who desperately wanted to be able to kill them.

Hmm. I did give them money, but I never tried sprinkling food for them. Or putting money on a snare trap.

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM

i know haha :) yeah there like the annoying adults in AC2, ACB and ACR..

infamous_ezio
12-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Watching it on the night just made me angry. Some of them answers just drove me up the wall. He seemed to deny there was any cut content, then goes onto to describe cut content.

The one that got me was the question about Brotherhood/Revelations features that didn't carry over, he simply said that they didn't carry over because they were made at the same time. The example given was walking alongside a character...it was included Desmond did it in the modern era but Connor for some reason couldn't. The 2 wheels in Revelations to pick weapons was changed for an entirely new feature which took you to a separate interface away from the combat. They could have easily carried over many features because they were done, instead they ignored a lot.

Hell I think he admitted Lucy died as a last minute decision (which I think we all knew about anyway). The reasoning for skipping the Assassin ceremony seemed...poor, same with his reasoning for Desmonds death.

The hinting we will have a Connor sequel soon also annoyed me to no end. Hutchinson is dragging this franchise into the ground.

I don't like hutchinson, not 1 bit, and my reasons are justified

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 07:07 PM
:)Hmm. I did give them money, but I never tried sprinkling food for them. Or putting money on a snare trap.

Between reading that, and hearing in that interview how snare/tripmine combo on bears are awesome, apparently I need to plug this game in again..

ACfan443
12-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Right, I'm not 'hating' on him (honestly), I think Alex has done a great job making AC3 look a wonderful spectacle, however I think he's had far too much influence on the story, and it's not been a particularly good influence. When answering questions, he seems to be a little deluded and come across as a bit of a liar - "we try to stay consistent ...and we do a pretty good job."

This is my personal view, I think when Desilets was creative director, everything was consistent and made sense. Not so much now, it's become convoluted and incoherent.

twenty_glyphs
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
It's laughable that Hutchinson thinks they gave too many answers in AC3 (I heard him say this during a preview interview as well). It's just like Alex Amancio saying in previews for Revelations that he thought they were doing a great job of answering most of the top questions about the story up to that point. This just smells of people who haven't truly experienced or understood the full Assassin's Creed experiences from AC1, AC2 and ACB the way fans of the game did. How you can play through those games, read the emails, solve the truth puzzles, and see Brotherhood's ending and honestly think AC3 provided too many answers on the franchise's story so far is beyond me.

It's not surprising that the developers are dodging specific complaints about the game. I'm sure there was probably a public relations expert with them at all times while answering questions, giving them tips on what they should answer or even acknowledge. Just like a politician, they'll always ignore questions they don't like or don't make them look good and steer the conversation to what they want. I don't blame them at all, because it doesn't look good to acknowledge that your product has flaws while it's still in the time period where it will make most of its sales. It's smart business, but frustrating for fans looking to get real feedback. It's really just a publicity stunt more than anything.

As for disliking Hutchinson, I don't care for his vision for the series so far. But I don't think he shoulders all the blame, because it's very obvious that the desire to release games every year and stretch the story out by the business side of Ubisoft is affecting the creative directions the series can take. We also know from the podcast with Jeffrey Yohalem that Alex Amancio didn't want to have the reveal of Lucy's betrayal in the main game in Revelations, and since he was the creative director that's the direction they went. There's plenty of blame to go around for the direction of the series, but I doubt it all falls on just one or two creative directors. The series needs a strong guiding hand from the creative side who knows and appreciates the lore and gameplay roots of the series and can convince the executives why certain things are good ideas and will please the fans, keeping them coming back. I think the series lost that when Patrice left.

shobhit7777777
12-05-2012, 07:59 PM
It's not surprising that the developers are dodging specific complaints about the game. I'm sure there was probably a public relations expert with them at all times while answering questions, giving them tips on what they should answer or even acknowledge. Just like a politician, they'll always ignore questions they don't like or don't make them look good and steer the conversation to what they want. I don't blame them at all, because it doesn't look good to acknowledge that your product has flaws while it's still in the time period where it will make most of its sales. It's smart business, but frustrating for fans looking to get real feedback. It's really just a publicity stunt more than anything.

Are you talking about the questions which were directed towards the linearity and restrictive gameplay? or the questions regarding the narrative only? Because I felt that they ducked from the former.

I just wish that they get more creative freedom and development time. I simply cannot accept that Alex Hutchinson approved of the mission design and structure...I'm pretty sure he had ideas to improve the overall gameplay...but couldn't due to the suits at Ubi and the time restrictions.

UrDeviant1
12-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you originally were able to kill those orphan kids.

Really? That would explain why you are actually still able to kill them (under specific circumstances).

ACfan443
12-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Really? That would explain why you are actually still able to kill them (under specific circumstances).

How, HOW?

UrDeviant1
12-05-2012, 08:23 PM
How, HOW?

The last thread I made about this matter got locked, so I'd rather not go Into It.

Grandmaster_Z
12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
mostly bs answers

Torvaldesq
12-05-2012, 09:02 PM

This seems to be incorrect. They say the next game will be amazing. They don't hint at it being Connor. In a separate question, one of Connor's fans asked them not to milk Connor, and they gave a standard PR response that they agree if they make a sequel with Connor, they'll treat it with respect.

Hopefully, Connor does not get a full-fledged AAA console game again. I mean, if they're already at work for some handheld sequel for him, that'd be fine. DLC is always okay too. But whatever mileage they'd get out of a new Connor game, they'd get more out of a game with a new character. If they do a French Revolution game for instance, despite it being in close proximity time-wise to where Connor is now, I'd much rather play that story as a Frenchman. Anything set immediately post-Revolution in America is not going to stand up that well, seeing as how we just went through the far more interesting period of the Revolution itself. AC 3 benefits from the iconic power of the American Revolution, but the architecture of the time period doesn't lend itself as well to AC gameplay as the more closely cropped buildings typically seen in major European cities.

CalgaryJay
12-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Upon reading the questions Ubisoft didn't answer during that Q&A, I see a few actually did ask about lack of ambient music & QTE predators. They just chose to avoid answering them for whatever reason.

Too bad, as from what I saw, a lot of the unanswered ones were the ones I wanted to hear about the most, as opposed to a lot of the fluff ones they did. Whats your favourite type of BBQ, really??

ACfan443
12-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Upon reading the questions Ubisoft didn't answer during that Q&A, I see a few actually did ask about lack of ambient music & QTE predators. They just chose to avoid answering them for whatever reason.

Too bad, as from what I saw, a lot of the unanswered ones were the ones I wanted to hear about the most, as opposed to a lot of the fluff ones they did. Whats your favourite type of BBQ, really??

This.

UtilityTortoise
12-06-2012, 02:02 AM
There's plenty of blame to go around for the direction of the series, but I doubt it all falls on just one or two creative directors. The series needs a strong guiding hand from the creative side who knows and appreciates the lore and gameplay roots of the series and can convince the executives why certain things are good ideas and will please the fans, keeping them coming back. I think the series lost that when Patrice left.

I fully agree with this. The interview disappointingly did not touch on many issues of the game, but I really feel with a franchise this big and especially spread out amongst so many different studios around the world, the creative vision needs to be rock-solid and be there. You could really feel the cohesiveness in the first 3 AC games with Patrice, maybe newcomers to the series won't feel it as much but as someone who played and loved the original games it's quite obvious that they really lacked that guiding hand and strong vision.

I still love Ac3 but unless Patrice returns I doubt the series will ever be the same again.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Games started to change direction DIRECTLY after the original AC.

Every one of the creative directors is guilty of this. I hate how everyone treats Patrice as a god when it`s AC II that actually brought this change from the brilliant formula that was AC I`s. Patrice created a master piece, started an uncalled for change, passed it on to Amancio, who wanted to Innovate, but retain, and then it was passed to Hutchnison. By then, everyone was so blinded by how pretty and Charming Ezio and Venice were and completely forgot core elements that we loved in AC I. Patrice could`v easily made the series A LOT more enjoyable while not entirely ditching the core.

It`s Everyone`s fault..

TrueAssassin77
12-06-2012, 02:55 AM
naw. its my fault.

UtilityTortoise
12-06-2012, 03:03 AM
I think the gameplay mechanics changed since AC2, but the creative vision as a whole, including things like story, pacing, reveal and art direction, was still very much intact and all there until Revelations where you could start to feel things were changing. The sense of mystery that was in AC1 -> AC:B kinda got thrown out of the window, just imho. I actually liked AC3's ending a lot, narrative-wise -- but the way it was executed was so blunt and direct, no subtlety, no mystery, no building up to 'the truth' like in AC2, just a crass in your face way of saying the story's over.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 03:08 AM
The Mystery and lore were gone because it was done...Over.

Piece of Eden Explained
TWCB Shown and Explained
16 Shown, explained and deleted
Glyphs (See above)

Legendz54
12-06-2012, 05:57 AM
How did i miss this..... ARGHHHH!!

Roanark
12-06-2012, 06:02 AM
The only thing that upsets me is refusing to add things the fans want because there's "too much content."
They failed to deliver on several promises and you can tell the game was rushed.
There's not "too much content" until there's no more room on the disc.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:03 AM
How did i miss this..... ARGHHHH!!
They probably wouldn't have answered your question

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:03 AM
The only thing that upsets me is refusing to add things the fans want because there's "too much content."
They failed to deliver on several promises and you can tell the game was rushed.
There's not "too much content" until there's no more room on the disc.
He said "We literally ran out of space"

Legendz54
12-06-2012, 06:04 AM
They probably wouldn't have answered your question

Was someone operating what questions went through or was it more like a chatbox?

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Was someone operating what questions went through or was it more like a chatbox?
Chatbox...Yeah sorta...The Devs chose what and what not to answer...

I guess they deem questions about barbecue, beer and bacon more important than Ambient music..

kriegerdesgottes
12-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Chatbox...Yeah sorta...The Devs chose what and what not to answer...

I guess they deem questions about barbecue, beer and bacon more important than Ambient music..

I was wondering if anyone brought that up. I have a feeling they aren't going to answer that one.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone brought that up. I have a feeling they aren't going to answer that one.
Oh people did...

I saw the unanswered questions...People asked it..as well as other VERY important things..

kriegerdesgottes
12-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Oh people did...

I saw the unanswered questions...People asked it..as well as other VERY important things..

Figures. However if leaving out the ambient music was intentional, you would think they would have just said so like they did about the canoes and other things. They just didn't answer it. So maybe it was just a huge glitch that they would rather not speak of.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Figures. However if leaving out the ambient music was intentional, you would think they would have just said so like they did about the canoes and other things. They just didn't answer it. So maybe it was just a huge glitch that they would rather not speak of.
I don't care..

If they deemed questions like "Please acknowledge my existence"(which is not even a damm question) and "Pop tarts or cinnamon flakes" worthy, then they should`v answered IMPORTANT questions..It was funny at first..Yeah alright, funny guys....But what the hell ?? Again and again and again...What the crap ?? why do this then ? Go focus on patching -_-

kriegerdesgottes
12-06-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't care..

If they deemed questions like "Please acknowledge my existence"(which is not even a damm question) and "Pop tarts or cinnamon flakes" worthy, then they should`v answered IMPORTANT questions..It was funny at first..Yeah alright, funny guys....But what the hell ?? Again and again and again...What the crap ?? why do this then ? Go focus on patching -_-

agreed. I always thought the same thing when they do so called interview with fans and they answer 90% of the questions with "we can't talk about that right now". Then why are you here?

D.I.D.
12-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Could be the space issue yet again.

Another possibility is that it was just weird. You could have soothing inspirational ambient music, then a bear attacks you with accompanying bear attack music, and then you're back to skinning a bear and looking at its ribcage on the ground while soothing ambient music returns. Or maybe you're wandering along, listening to soothing ambient music, and a beaver scuttles by and you stab it to death. What music is good for a man to hear when carving up the corpse of a beaver? That's got to be a tough choice. Plus there are times when you hear a distinctive animal sound and go after it -- listening out for that kind of thing just wouldn't be the same with music. Birdsong seems like a good alternative.

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:43 AM
agreed. I always thought the same thing when they do so called interview with fans and they answer 90% of the questions with "we can't talk about that right now". Then why are you here?
Okay maybe they had an excuse back THEN...but now ?? I mean hey they even label spoilers...so WHAT THE CRAP ??? Between this and the removed features, I`m not really high on the creative team right now..

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Could be the space issue yet again.

Another possibility is that it was just weird. You could have soothing inspirational ambient music, then a bear attacks you with accompanying bear attack music, and then you're back to skinning a bear and looking at its ribcage on the ground while soothing ambient music returns. Or maybe you're wandering along, listening to soothing ambient music, and a beaver scuttles by and you stab it to death. What music is good for a man to hear when carving up the corpse of a beaver? That's got to be a tough choice. Plus there are times when you hear a distinctive animal sound and go after it -- listening out for that kind of thing just wouldn't be the same with music. Birdsong seems like a good alternative.
As has been said, Ambient music should have been in cities. I agree that it`s a good thing not having music in the Frontier. but the cities ?? It`s soulless..

D.I.D.
12-06-2012, 06:58 AM
As has been said, Ambient music should have been in cities. I agree that it`s a good thing not having music in the Frontier. but the cities ?? It`s soulless..

Ahh okay.

That's strange; in that case, I never even noticed that the music was absent in the cities! I did notice that the noise of the city was better: good base levels of unintelligible chatter, a lot more conversations, lots of audible interactions between the animals and various noises from businesses and so on. I've just seen that massive thread of people agreeing with you, so I guess I'm in a tiny minority here, but it seems I didn't miss the score at all. Maybe I'm soulless too :)

Assassin_M
12-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Ahh okay.

That's strange; in that case, I never even noticed that the music was absent in the cities! I did notice that the noise of the city was better: good base levels of unintelligible chatter, a lot more conversations, lots of audible interactions between the animals and various noises from businesses and so on. I've just seen that massive thread of people agreeing with you, so I guess I'm in a tiny minority here, but it seems I didn't miss the score at all. Maybe I'm soulless too :)
I used to dismiss the guys at the other threads. but then It just hit me really..

And No, sorry I do not mean that you`re soulless. I should`v said "Feels soulless in my opinion" I apologize..

D.I.D.
12-06-2012, 07:12 AM
And No, sorry I do not mean that you`re soulless. I should`v said "Feels soulless in my opinion" I apologize..

No no, I didn't think that at all! I understood completely that you were saying that the cities feel soulless, and then after writing a post about how alive the cities seemed to me, I was just adding a half-joke about that.

ProdiGurl
12-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Yep. & I don't need any in Frontier - the wildlife thing and weather/sounds carry it.
When I first hit Boston as Haytham is when I felt it was dead - and playing him rather than Connor at that point was already awkward (as far as AC is concerned other than playing Altair in ACR a few times). But it set a weird mood for me. I remember sitting there hoping to myself that I would feel differently & the game would be awesome. I started to feel unsure about the game. It's esp. hollow at night time... some nice music would fill in that gap nicely.
I know there's a lack of music in this release & I've gotten used to it and I don't honestly care what the reason is. I don't have to know. It's the next release I care about. Or if they're going to take this lack of music route, at least make the cities burst with background activity, ... conversations, maybe street vendors playing some music or something - - anything that fills the void and creates other sounds.

pacmanate
12-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Eh, hopefully it has a better story, which it should because we won't be Haytham or a kid Connor.

Legendz54
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Very happy with what I have heard, I predict a game next year. More Connor was exactly what I wanted.

pacmanate
12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Very happy with what I have heard, I predict a game next year. More Connor was exactly what I wanted.

Better not leach it though, I hope the next one is Connors last game. There should be no introduction this time round because he is fully Assassiny. I just wonder what his robes are going to be seeing as they said they had a hard time deciding in the first place.

Legendz54
12-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Better not leach it though, I hope the next one is Connors last game. There should be no introduction this time round because he is fully Assassiny. I just wonder what his robes are going to be seeing as they said they had a hard time deciding in the first place.

Agreed, just 1 more sequel is all Connor needs and deserves. The robes really depend on what setting Connor will move to ( if he moves)

ProdiGurl
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I think most of us agree that 2 games per Assassin is plenty now. I LOVED Ezio's Trilogy & am happy he had 3, but... not necessary for the future. That's at least 3 years with the same assassin.
Plus people are itchy for new era's to explore. :)

True_Assassin92
12-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Connor has played his part, we need a new character :).

pacmanate
12-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Connor has played his part, we need a new character :).

Actually he played his part for Desmonds storyline.

True_Assassin92
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
True, but If they are going to take it to france I'd rather have a frenchman. Like we had altair in the middle east, ezio in italy and connor in america. I would have liked it if we were able to play as yuzuf in ACR instead of ezio. So my point use someone who is native to that country. I'd prefer that :).

dxsxhxcx
12-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Agreed, just 1 more sequel is all Connor needs and deserves. The robes really depend on what setting Connor will move to ( if he moves)they MUST go to other setting with a new conspiracy that doesn't involve (at least directly) the same old characters from a previous game, otherwise they shouldn't even bother to make a new game with Connor.

AdrianJacek
12-06-2012, 01:39 PM
I think most of us agree that 2 games per Assassin is plenty now. I LOVED Ezio's Trilogy & am happy he had 3, but... not necessary for the future. That's at least 3 years with the same assassin.
Plus people are itchy for new era's to explore. :)

Pretty much, yes. But technically Ezio had 4 games - you forgot about AC2 Discovery for DS. :P
But you know, whatever they'll make - I will buy. Doesn't matter what, just make it good like 5 previous games.

pirate1802
12-06-2012, 02:50 PM
they MUST go to other setting with a new conspiracy that doesn't involve (at least directly) the same old characters from a previous game, otherwise they shouldn't even bother to make a new game with Connor.

True that. In words the new game shouldn't feel like a DLC of AC3 *cough*Brotherhood*cough*

AdrianJacek
12-06-2012, 02:53 PM
True that. In words the new game shouldn't feel like a DLC of AC3 *cough*Brotherhood*cough*

I have never heard of a DLC that's as long as the main game.

pirate1802
12-06-2012, 02:58 PM
I have never heard of a DLC that's as long as the main game.

:D Don't think I didn't like Brotherhood.. but its a feeling I can't shake. It had a location similar to AC2 and all of your allied characters were from AC2 too.

AdrianJacek
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM
:D Don't think I didn't like Brotherhood.. but its a feeling I can't shake. It had a location similar to AC2 and all of your allied characters were from AC2 too.
Brohood had more of a Baroque feeling as opposed to AC2's Renaissance-ish look. I guess I can see a visible difference because I learned quite a lot about both on art classes.